Following 2019 draftees!!!

I watched the championship game, I didn't know that Matt Mooney transferred to Texas Tech, what a waste, they could have used him much better than they did. He's better than Culver IMO. I would love to see the Kings bring him in for a workout. He has the makings of a true 2-way playmaking combo guard.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I watched the championship game, I didn't know that Matt Mooney transferred to Texas Tech, what a waste, they could have used him much better than they did. He's better than Culver IMO. I would love to see the Kings bring him in for a workout. He has the makings of a true 2-way playmaking combo guard.
I like Mooney, but I think I like Ty Jerome better. He's a little taller, a little better shooter and a little better playmaker. Of course Jerome could be gone by the times the Kings pick, and I'm fairly sure that Mooney will be there. Both players are good defenders, at least at the college level. I know some like Guy, but my gut tells me he's going to return for another year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Mfiondu Kabengele just declared for the draft and he said he will be hiring an agent. Interesting player. Good defender and shotblocker who can also step out and shoot the three. He shot a tick under 37% from the three this season. His per 40 numbers are 24.5 ppg - 11.0 rpg - 2.8 bpg while shooting 53.4% overall. He had a defensive rating of 92.9 which is freaking outstanding. He's another I would be very interested in with our 2nd rd pick.

After going back and re-watching a couple of Florida St. games, I felt I didn't give Kabengele enough attention. I think this kid is first rd talent and if you could get him in the 2nd rd, you have a huge steal. Were talking about a very hard working 6'10" player with a 7'5" wingspan who is also a terrific athlete. He's very skilled for his position and age.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Mick Cronen in at UCLA. Great hire. No-nonsense coach.
I had him very close to the top of my "reasonable" wish list. Always hated playing Cincy because even though their talent level was usually not as high as UCLA's, their discipline and effort and defense were always miles ahead. I'm really hoping Cronin can instill those qualities in his UCLA teams, because it's been at least a decade (since Howland lost the team) since the Bruins have exhibited anything like that on a regular basis.

I like Mooney, but I think I like Ty Jerome better. He's a little taller, a little better shooter and a little better playmaker. Of course Jerome could be gone by the times the Kings pick, and I'm fairly sure that Mooney will be there. Both players are good defenders, at least at the college level. I know some like Guy, but my gut tells me he's going to return for another year.

Mooney has terrific length and a strong physical profile that help make up for less height. Those two things are what help him be such a good defender. Jerome as a lead guard is better but he doesn't have the defensive versatility or off guard potential Mooney does in my opinion. Mooney reminds me of a combo guard version of Klay Thompson. Not saying he's at that talent level but he just simply brings it on both ends every night. I first saw him a few years back when he was at South Dakota and he can carry a team better than anyone else on that Texas Tech team. They underutilized him when it counted the most. I didn't realize so many upperclass players were ending their careers this year. Might be a good year to have a decent 2nd after all.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Mooney has terrific length and a strong physical profile that help make up for less height. Those two things are what help him be such a good defender. Jerome as a lead guard is better but he doesn't have the defensive versatility or off guard potential Mooney does in my opinion. Mooney reminds me of a combo guard version of Klay Thompson. Not saying he's at that talent level but he just simply brings it on both ends every night. I first saw him a few years back when he was at South Dakota and he can carry a team better than anyone else on that Texas Tech team. They underutilized him when it counted the most. I didn't realize so many upperclass players were ending their careers this year. Might be a good year to have a decent 2nd after all.

When your referring to being underutilized, I assume you mean in how he was used as opposed to minutes played, because he certainly got the minutes at just a tick under 31 mpg. I tend to agree with you, but I think it's tough to switch schools and expect to be utilized the same way, even though I agree with you that he could have been more of a scoring option for sure. He went from 15 shot attempts a game at South Dakota St. to 9.6 shot attempts a game at Texas Tech.

We could quibble over how he was used, but lets remember, Texas Tech made it to the championship game, so it's hard to be too critical with that kind of success. Mooney went from being a big dog in a lesser conference, to just one of the dogs in a tougher conference. Not that uncommon. But that said, I'd be happy with Mooney in the 2nd rd. There are quite a few players I'd be happy with. To some extent, Mooney reminds me of a shorter version of Joe Harris when he was in college. Harris has had a bit of success in the NBA.

When your referring to being underutilized, I assume you mean in how he was used as opposed to minutes played, because he certainly got the minutes at just a tick under 31 mpg. I tend to agree with you, but I think it's tough to switch schools and expect to be utilized the same way, even though I agree with you that he could have been more of a scoring option for sure. He went from 15 shot attempts a game at South Dakota St. to 9.6 shot attempts a game at Texas Tech.

We could quibble over how he was used, but lets remember, Texas Tech made it to the championship game, so it's hard to be too critical with that kind of success. Mooney went from being a big dog in a lesser conference, to just one of the dogs in a tougher conference. Not that uncommon. But that said, I'd be happy with Mooney in the 2nd rd. There are quite a few players I'd be happy with. To some extent, Mooney reminds me of a shorter version of Joe Harris when he was in college. Harris has had a bit of success in the NBA.

Yeah, I'm talking about him not running more of their offense. There were far too many moments in that game where he was watching Culver stumble his way into futile offensive possession after futile offensive possession. I'm not a big fan of Culver and after his tournament I still see him as high as 4 on some mocks. He's got tools but that seriously had to drop him. On the flipside Hunter has to be higher than him on most boards. Yeah, Joe Harris is a pretty good NBA comp. Mooney is better with the ball I think though.

Culver's poor performance in the championship doesnt worry me much, only because he had De'Andre Hunter on him defensively, who is a nightmare matchup at the college level.

Culver's poor performance in the championship doesnt worry me much, only because he had De'Andre Hunter on him defensively, who is a nightmare matchup at the college level.
His whole tourny run was that of a volume scorer. He's a decent prospect with some nice upside but I wouldn't draft him at 4 after taking his whole tournament into account. It's not a deep draft at all in terms of blue chippers and fairly light up top but top 8 is too high IMO.

His whole tourny run was that of a volume scorer. He's a decent prospect with some nice upside but I wouldn't draft him at 4 after taking his whole tournament into account. It's not a deep draft at all in terms of blue chippers and fairly light up top but top 8 is too high IMO.
To me he is a guy with a sophisticated face-up game, he's got balance and an array of fakes and spins and stuff, especially compared to many of these other top wings in the draft who pretty much rely on their first-step and burst.. Thats kinda his saving grace on my board.

nothing official (as far as confirmed agent) but people close to Kansas seem to be convinced Quentin Grimes is gonna be in this draft. Which is certainly a storyline that will affect the Kings if true, would be a no-brainer to try to get him in for workouts.

Word is Michigan's Charles Matthews, Jordan Poole and Iggy (who's said he's hiring an agent) are in too... Which means Beilein is gonna need to work some major magic next year to keep them competitive.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Word is Michigan's Charles Matthews, Jordan Poole and Iggy (who's said he's hiring an agent) are in too... Which means Beilein is gonna need to work some major magic next year to keep them competitive.
Mathews isn't a surprise, and the Kings should bring him in for a workout. Interesting that Michigan doesn't have any top recruits coming in next year. I think Jaylen Wilson, who is ranked somewhere in the 70's is their top recruit. Don't know about transfers yet.

Mathews isn't a surprise, and the Kings should bring him in for a workout. Interesting that Michigan doesn't have any top recruits coming in next year. I think Jaylen Wilson, who is ranked somewhere in the 70's is their top recruit. Don't know about transfers yet.
Hope we get all 3 in for workouts...

I actually wouldnt be surprised if the 3-star recruit they have coming in Cole Bajema isn't their top recruit. I dont really think that kid should be rated 3-stars at all. Might be a late growth spurt or something involved but he's 6'7" SG who can shoot and dribble.

Jordan Poole is very interesting for the Kings to me, and honestly we might only have a chance at him because he kinda tapered off 2nd half of the season/down the stretch.

I'm not quite sure what to make of Iggy.. Putting the SF's in the right order from like 20 - 40 is alwasy extremely difficult in any draft, and this wont be any different. Very interested to hear how his shooting drills go, he could help himself out there, I was under the impression he was a better shooter than he showed this year.. He also turns 21 in January so not like a true freshman at-all. His toughness is a match here for sure.

The undrafted FA pool is gonna be once again LOADED...

There's just so many players where I think "probably wont get drafted BUT, i'd love to see em on our SL team"

Oh... so .... Silvo De Souza is officially in this draft... I've actually seen him play a handful of games(over 2 years ago obviously..), which has gotta put me in an extreme minority..

The Kings MUST get him in for a workout. His game might be best suited for an uptempo pace, he is very athletic and also has very nice frame for strengthening up.

Steve Enoch is officially in..

HE is an interesting fit possibly for the Kings, strong and athletic backup 5, cna shoot it tooo... HE's one of those guys where I think "might actually be a better pro than he was college player"..

The infamous Brian Bowen is officially in too. We must get him in for a workout..

Here's his highlights from Sydney this year. Interesting player for the Kings, he's a match here I think, he's sorta like Justin Jackson.

O'Shae Brissett is in... He shot much more 3's at a hgher % and his FT's took a sharp upturn, he's 6'8" and bouncy and can defend on the perimeter, worth taking a long look at for the Kings... Gotta get him in for a workout at least.

Dewan Hernandez (AKA the artist formally known as Dewan Huell) is a player I belive Vlade will have red-flagged as a jerk and wont want him anywhere near our young group.. 6'10 and can run like the wind tho, kid whos got natural talent but doesnt seem to really 'get it'...

He's officially in tho.

Markell Johnson at NC State is officially in. I am a pretty big fan of his, he shows some flashes, not ready just yet but he could be worth grooming in the g-league. Probably undrafted but one of those guys i'd want on the SL team.

6'2 backup pg

Will Borisa Simanic declare for this draft??

Type of player who to me looks real good in drills, in games hes got a ways to go it seems. Could be worth developing tho.

One last post, and It's pretty far-fetched, i'd definitely think there's a decent chance Vlade would have him red-flagged for attitude issues, BUT ---- -If Cameron Reddish were to fall down the draft board lets say into the teens.... I'd consider trading up for him.. He can shoot it.. It's a gamble no doubt, but once that I believe could pay off in spades. Reddish occupies a spot on the depth chart directly between Bogdan and Harrison Barnes too, which is a nice match here.

If you look at it from Reddish' perspective, I dunno if there's a team out there thats a better fit for him than the Kings.... With Marvin running the floor, Fox doing his thing, Buddy drawing all sorts of attention, this seems like ideal conditiosn for him to thrive.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
JAylen Hands is officially in the draft... WOuld love to see him groomed as the backup here..
I think Hands was the best player on that UCLA team, and that's not a knock on Brown who has the most potential. Wouldn't be disappointed with him as a developmental player. Not saying he would be my first choice, but I like the kid. He could be one of those players that really shines when surrounded with good players.