Following 2018 draftees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been saying this don’t trust guys with questionable motors and he’s just average on defense. I’d take Doncic and Bagley over him
I watched the Arizona game and I still just don't see what it is that everyone likes so much about Ayton. He just seems so passive and plays so lackadaisical a lot of the time. He goes from looking like he knows what he's doing one play to looking like he's never played a minute of basketball in his life the next. He spends entirely way too much time just standing and watching everything happen in front of him instead of going and making it happen.

If something crazy happened and the Kings moved up in the draft, I think I'd take Bagley over him. Like Bajaden said, you'd hate to put all your eggs in the hustle basket but I just can't sit through another 3 or 4 years of passive play by one of our players. The difference is Bagley involves himself in every aspect of the play if he can get there while Ayton only involves himself if the play comes to him.

Can he guard stretch 4s? That's what he's going to have to do in the NBA if he plays that position.
I don’t think it would matter for us he’s guard the centers while Giles or WCS take the stretch 4s. He’s a great passer so there’s also that and his shooting also he’s 6’10, 7’3 wingspan 9’0 reach

bajaden

Hall of Famer
A pretty large chunk of the Wildcats forgot how to play basketball today. Trier in particular was just awful, so of course Buffalo could focus all energy on Ayton. His best games were when Ristic could ball and force teams to defend both players. You may be right though - if he winds up on a turd NBA team he may just be eaten alive with no help. Wouldn't be the first player that happens to.
Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm not a big Sean Miller fan. I think he's a great recruiter, but not a great coach. His teams tend to under perform on a regular basis. There is no way on god's earth Arizona should have lost this game. I don't disagree on Ayton, but he's not the only player on the team. Buffalo was prepared to make sure Ayton didn't beat them. What was Miller's plan? When an entire team plays badly, that means they wern't properly prepared. You give Jay Wright a week to prepare for a game and he'll kick your a$$.

Fortunately, it didn't screw up my bracket, but I did want to see Ayton play in two games. I figured Arizona would go out on saturday. I forgot to add that Buffalo shot 50% from the three. Great perimeter defense by Arizona.

Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm not a big Sean Miller fan. I think he's a great recruiter, but not a great coach. His teams tend to under perform on a regular basis.
I don't disagree with his teams the past few years but I do think he did a lot better at Xavier and his first 2-3 seasons at Zona. Is it that he can't manage the egos of all the 5* guys he gets? Because I think if he's doing 3-4* guys who stay a few years and will play his system he's shown he can coach.

Anyways, I think he needs to either reassess how he brings in players or it's time to say thanks and move on for both parties.

Ayton just looks like a guy who plays for the love of what basketball can do for him, not what he can do for basketball. Hard for those type of guys to max out in our program/city. They tend to need a large market to maintain their attention and have the requisite media focus on their game to excoriate any lapses in play.

Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm not a big Sean Miller fan. I think he's a great recruiter, but not a great coach. His teams tend to under perform on a regular basis. There is no way on god's earth Arizona should have lost this game. I don't disagree on Ayton, but he's not the only player on the team. Buffalo was prepared to make sure Ayton didn't beat them. What was Miller's plan? When an entire team plays badly, that means they wern't properly prepared. You give Jay Wright a week to prepare for a game and he'll kick your a$$.

Fortunately, it didn't screw up my bracket, but I did want to see Ayton play in two games. I figured Arizona would go out on saturday. I forgot to add that Buffalo shot 50% from the three. Great perimeter defense by Arizona.
Sean Miller is dumb, he played all game two bigs with Ristic and Ayton... on the defensive end Ayton had to guard 6'7'' SF Harris who was running around the perimeter and Ayton just chased him all the time, but the funniest thing is I heard that Ayton is really good defender, when he gets switched on a guard... didn't see that last night.

And to be honest, Arizona's perimeter defense got exposed just like I thought will happen, because all season long they were bad defending the 3 pointer.

I think Buffalo has a chance against Kentucky too.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Sean Miller has gotten by all these years based on his big name around the College Hoops world, this performance ought to finally put the final nail in the coffin between Arizona and Sean, hopefully.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Sean Miller has gotten by all these years based on his big name around the College Hoops world, this performance ought to finally put the final nail in the coffin between Arizona and Sean, hopefully.
I think it was the "getting caught on wiretap coordinating the payment of players" that was the final nail, Arizona just couldn't really do anything about it until the offseason. The question seems to me less whether Miller will get bounced and more whether Arizona will get the "death penalty" from the NCAA.

I think Bagley has pulled to the top of my draft board wish list. New flavor of the week lol. Him and Fox would make a great duo. The positive energy frm thise two guys would be very enjoyable to watch. Chemistry would be fantastic on the Kings.

I think it was the "getting caught on wiretap coordinating the payment of players" that was the final nail, Arizona just couldn't really do anything about it until the offseason. The question seems to me less whether Miller will get bounced and more whether Arizona will get the "death penalty" from the NCAA.
The story is unsubstantiated and the reporter who reported it has vanished from ESPN. ESPN corrected the story 4 times before they reverted to their story to shield themselves from lawsuit. There's no way Arizona stands by him the way they did if he is caught dead to rights. And frankly there's no way Miller was actually playing let's make a deal with a 24 year old snot runner for an agent. That's what guys like Book were for.

Don't get me wrong, all parties are dirty. But the facts of the story are seriously in question.

Sean Miller is dumb, he played all game two bigs with Ristic and Ayton... on the defensive end Ayton had to guard 6'7'' SF Harris who was running around the perimeter and Ayton just chased him all the time, but the funniest thing is I heard that Ayton is really good defender, when he gets switched on a guard... didn't see that last night.

And to be honest, Arizona's perimeter defense got exposed just like I thought will happen, because all season long they were bad defending the 3 pointer.

I think Buffalo has a chance against Kentucky too.
Arizona's guards failed to show last night. Honestly not sure it it's the coach or the player, but he has had a problem getting quality from the PG position outside of TJ McConnell. Frankly for a program that once prided itself as PGU and who brought in a former PG to coach, it's unacceptable and I'm sick of it. But he was a good coach before he started pulling in 5-star talent, if you saw what he did at Xavier or his first few years at Zona where he had to scramble to rebuild a program that was in tatters I think that was evident.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Arizona's guards failed to show last night. Honestly not sure it it's the coach or the player, but he has had a problem getting quality from the PG position outside of TJ McConnell. Frankly for a program that once prided itself as PGU and who brought in a former PG to coach, it's unacceptable and I'm sick of it. But he was a good coach before he started pulling in 5-star talent, if you saw what he did at Xavier or his first few years at Zona where he had to scramble to rebuild a program that was in tatters I think that was evident.
My problem with Miller is that his teams never seem prepared for the big games. Although usually its in the 2nd round that Arizona traditionally has a problem. I tend to agree that he seems to have a problem handling marquee one and done players. It's not easy! Just ask Calipari, who is probably the best at doing it. But if you ever watched Calipari coach, he rules with an iron hand. And ironically, the players still seem to love him.

Really tough break today for Purdue and Isaac Haas. The 7'2" senior got pulled down and he broke his elbow. It likely blew any chance Purdue had for a championship. What a bummer...

My problem with Miller is that his teams never seem prepared for the big games. Although usually its in the 2nd round that Arizona traditionally has a problem. I tend to agree that he seems to have a problem handling marquee one and done players. It's not easy! Just ask Calipari, who is probably the best at doing it. But if you ever watched Calipari coach, he rules with an iron hand. And ironically, the players still seem to love him.

Really tough break today for Purdue and Isaac Haas. The 7'2" senior got pulled down and he broke his elbow. It likely blew any chance Purdue had for a championship. What a bummer...
Coach Cal was at UMass when I was at BU so I've followed his career closely. It seems Miller wants to be a mini-Cal and it isn't working.

I'd be fine if he stays if he goes back to his old ways. Honestly I'm not sure what to do and am glad I'm not a booster or the UA AD. If he goes they may as well self-ban for a year or two and hire a throwaway, wait it out and push in a year or two. That may kill the program. Or ride it out and hope Miller recovers. I have heard from folks in the know his heart isn't in it anymore.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well Jaren Jackson is rising to the occasion. Two quick fouls, and sit on the bench for the entire first half. Well done! Maybe someone should tell him this a win or go home situation. So far, zero points and I don't think he has a rebound either... Miles is playing well... I picked Nevada to beat Texas, and they came through for me... For those that haven't watched Nevada play, they're playing with only six players on the roster. These short turn around's will likely catch up with them.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Coach Cal was at UMass when I was at BU so I've followed his career closely. It seems Miller wants to be a mini-Cal and it isn't working.

I'd be fine if he stays if he goes back to his old ways. Honestly I'm not sure what to do and am glad I'm not a booster or the UA AD. If he goes they may as well self-ban for a year or two and hire a throwaway, wait it out and push in a year or two. That may kill the program. Or ride it out and hope Miller recovers. I have heard from folks in the know his heart isn't in it anymore.
It might be a good idea for Miller to go the same route Villanova takes. Instead of going for the top recruits, bring in maybe one five star player and then recruit a bunch of four star players and keep them for three or four years. It might set them back a year or so, and who knows, Miller might not have that much rope, but in the long run, he'd be able to develop them within his system. Purdue, Virginia, W. Virginia and Villanova all approach it the same way. Of course all of those teams have great coaches. Very difficult to do what coach K and Calipari do every year. Smart in Texas is finding that out as well.

Well Jaren Jackson is rising to the occasion. Two quick fouls, and sit on the bench for the entire first half. Well done! Maybe someone should tell him this a win or go home situation. So far, zero points and I don't think he has a rebound either... Miles is playing well... I picked Nevada to beat Texas, and they came through for me... For those that haven't watched Nevada play, they're playing with only six players on the roster. These short turn around's will likely catch up with them.
Let him act s fool and fall to us

It might be a good idea for Miller to go the same route Villanova takes. Instead of going for the top recruits, bring in maybe one five star player and then recruit a bunch of four star players and keep them for three or four years. It might set them back a year or so, and who knows, Miller might not have that much rope, but in the long run, he'd be able to develop them within his system. Purdue, Virginia, W. Virginia and Villanova all approach it the same way. Of course all of those teams have great coaches. Very difficult to do what coach K and Calipari do every year. Smart in Texas is finding that out as well.
He's gonna have to do it with multi-year players next year because he lost two blue chip guards thanks to Book and then two more recruits thanks to the ESPN story. Honestly I think the only reason me may stick it out is because of what happened last night and I'm not sure if that's good for anybody. I will say I genuinely like the guy and what he did to shepherd the program after what Kevin O'Neill did while Lute was losing it. But something happened halfway through his tenure, when the Miller to the ACC (Maryland?) rumors started and I think the program lost it's way.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Michael Porter Jr. does not look like he's ready to play. He's been non-existent on defense and can't finish over smaller guys under the basket. He's probably in the draft no matter what but I would strongly consider staying another year to get healthy if I were him.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
watched Porter for the first time versus Florida State and I wasn't impressed at all. I agree with the poster above, he needs to stay in school another year and get his conditioning up to par and work on his game. He seems too slow footed for my liking and that's to be expected considering he's been dealing with an injury most of the season and just recently coming back. Too small of a sample size to judge him off that.

watched Porter for the first time versus Florida State and I wasn't impressed at all. I agree with the poster above, he needs to stay in school another year and get his conditioning up to par and work on his game. He seems too slow footed for my liking and that's to be expected considering he's been dealing with an injury most of the season and just recently coming back. Too small of a sample size to judge him off that.
We need him to come out maybe he could slide to us

Michael Porter Jr. does not look like he's ready to play. He's been non-existent on defense and can't finish over smaller guys under the basket. He's probably in the draft no matter what but I would strongly consider staying another year to get healthy if I were him.
This was not a showcase for him, if he wanted to improve his draft stock I think playing was a mistake.

If we wind up picking 8th or below and he's there though... ???

I will keep hammering that Porter is a stretch 4. He could be highly valuable in the right system with appropriate expectations. But, the KD comparisons were just wildly out of whack. In fact, any SF comparison is just misguided. If he and Jontay do come back they could have a really special season next year and catapult both of them into the top ten.

I will keep hammering that Porter is a stretch 4. He could be highly valuable in the right system with appropriate expectations. But, the KD comparisons were just wildly out of whack. In fact, any SF comparison is just misguided. If he and Jontay do come back they could have a really special season next year and catapult both of them into the top ten.
Think he is aleeady top 10...and if he gets another back injury he could be outside of the lottery :(

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well the Villanova game looked to be a storm burner based on the first half. Alabama was giving them all they wanted. And then the 2nd half happened along with Mikal, and the game was over. I tell you, if your in a close game with a Jay Wright team at the half, don't expect everything to remain the same in the 2nd half. He's excellent at making adjustments. Villanova can thank god they have DiVincenzo as their sixth man and backup combo guard. Brunson got two quick fouls and went to the bench for the rest of the first half. DiVincenzo comes in and explodes with 5 three pointers. It will be his team next season. He's a star in the making.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If Kings draft 7th or below, it wouldn't surprise me if they draft M. Porter, if he's available. And if they think his back is better than 50-50, I'd do it, no problem. I don't care if he looks incredibly rusty. He's a guy who could be great, and in the draft you swing for the fences; mediocrity is easily found in free agency, as we have found over and over and over again. We're all doing comparison shopping. So who else are they going to pick? The two Bridges over the River Mediocrity? Young, the next Jimmer? Sexton, maybe a poor man's Fox mixed with a little of Buddy Hield? Bamba, the multi-year project who could be valuable for the next GM? (I see hrdboild cheering!) None of these guys look inviting to me. The Kings would be better off spending their time scouting the G League and getting a couple of their good players for next year if that's all there is: http://gleague.nba.com/news/top-10-prospects-watch-nba-g-league-showcase/

Well the Villanova game looked to be a storm burner based on the first half. Alabama was giving them all they wanted. And then the 2nd half happened along with Mikal, and the game was over. I tell you, if your in a close game with a Jay Wright team at the half, don't expect everything to remain the same in the 2nd half. He's excellent at making adjustments. Villanova can thank god they have DiVincenzo as their sixth man and backup combo guard. Brunson got two quick fouls and went to the bench for the rest of the first half. DiVincenzo comes in and explodes with 5 three pointers. It will be his team next season. He's a star in the making.
If DiVincenzo can have the same type of scoring explosion Mikal we saw this year, I think DiVincenzo could make himself a legitimate 1st round prospect. Right now, he's the typical college PG that should be a SG because he doesn't really have much handles. However, unlike most of those "typical college PGs", he's not 6'2 and 190lbs. He's 6'5 205lbs with legitimate SG size. Bods well for his future pro-career. He'll need to keep improving on his overall game. Handles need work and his first-step isn't where you'd want it to be.

He's an enjoyable technical college player to watch. Has high IQ, great hustle, and does all the right things on the floor.

If Kings draft 7th or below, it wouldn't surprise me if they draft M. Porter, if he's available. And if they think his back is better than 50-50, I'd do it, no problem. I don't care if he looks incredibly rusty. He's a guy who could be great, and in the draft you swing for the fences; mediocrity is easily found in free agency, as we have found over and over and over again. We're all doing comparison shopping. So who else are they going to pick? The two Bridges over the River Mediocrity? Young, the next Jimmer? Sexton, maybe a poor man's Fox mixed with a little of Buddy Hield? Bamba, the multi-year project who could be valuable for the next GM? (I see hrdboild cheering!) None of these guys look inviting to me. The Kings would be better off spending their time scouting the G League and getting a couple of their good players for next year if that's all there is: http://gleague.nba.com/news/top-10-prospects-watch-nba-g-league-showcase/
I am a little worried about MPJ not having the quickness to play SF at the next level(especially with his back surgery), but if we pick outside of top 5, and MPJ is there, I would be extremely thrilled.

Mikal Bridges is interesting to me. I really like him as a prospect, but I still continue to see him as a SG. If you play him at SF, then you'd be getting a Kent Bazemore type of SF, which isn't ideal. His frame is also on the smaller end. He doesn't have a lot of bulk to him, although to his credit, he's a lot stronger than he looks. He's looks about the same size as Bogdan, but Bogdan has more bulk.

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/M2FJAP/phi...-feb-2018-villanova-wildcats-guard-M2FJAP.jpg

http://www.alo.rs/resources/images/0000/115/463/bogdan bogdanovic_1000x0.jpg

Bogdan definitely has a more stocky frame.

I haven't paid close enough attention to Mikal to know how he does guarding larger players. Although in college it's hard to find players that are bigger and faster than him so it's tough to gauge that until he gets into the NBA. The good is that he has a 7'2" wingspan. The bad is his weight. I wouldn't be so worried if he was a Freshman but he's a Junior now. He seems like a safe pick either way. You've got a guy who is most likely going to be a 3&D player with the chance of becoming a #1 or #2 option but those odds are low. He does help with being able to switch defensively on the perimeter, which is very valuable these days.

As for Porter Jr, he looked rusty as all hell. Slow and tired as well. I looked at the box score and was shocked that his numbers looked as good as they did despite shooting poorly from the field. His shot scares me because it's pretty slow and not real fluid looking. He does have nice moves on his drives to the basket but he looks very slow. Is that because of his back or is that just how he is? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but like 206 said, if he's not quick enough to play SF in the NBA, how the heck is he going to guard PFs? He's probably not going to be rail thin forever but he makes Skal look big at this point.

That's the problem with sliding down to the end of the top 10 in the draft. The players start to have big question marks on them whereas the guys at the top seem more complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.