Evans and Cousins

Seriously, thank god we got these two studs the last two drafts and are not(IMO) dependent on finding a star in this draft.

That is all.

This is true. We put so much importance on picking first but it's really the quality of the player you end up with and not the number they were drafted that matters. The draft is largely guesswork and hindsight usually bears that fact out. That's why most #1 picks don't even end up being the best player in their draft

As far as I'm concerned, the Kings are already ahead of the game because they got the second best player available in the last two drafts despite picking 4th and 5th respectively. Time may very well end up proving Cousins to be the best player of his draft, too.

Tons of good to great players have been drafted in the 5-10 range. Odds are Petrie can find a quality player that will help improve the team with the #7 pick.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Seems to me that Kawhi Leonard might be a good pick. He is a lock down type defender, very hard nosed, very quick, and has worked on his mid-range jumper all spring. He can be. 10-10 or 15-15 player in the NBA. An all-around type SF who can play PF. I'm cautious on the high scoring type SF's out there who seem to be too one dimensional.

Seems to me that Kawhi Leonard might be a good pick. He is a lock down type defender, very hard nosed, very quick, and has worked on his mid-range jumper all spring. He can be. 10-10 or 15-15 player in the NBA. An all-around type SF who can play PF. I'm cautious on the high scoring type SF's out there who seem to be too one dimensional.
I guess I'm starting to come around on him. I was in love with the idea of getting a good 3pt shooter, but you really can't complain about adding a Shawn Marion type.
And Marion had a stretch in his career where he was a decent long range shooter, so hope's not lost there.

Its just the team doesn't need any rebounding help, which is a big part of what he brings. But it opens up the interesting possibility of replacing Dally with a stretch 4.

Dirk is a unique entity. His very uniqueness only emphasizes the argument. What's the next tier? Antawn Jamison and Al Harrington? Garbage.
You just listed 2 tweener forwards. Let's get this team some Raef LaFrentz. But yeah, Dirk is a freak, the same way Charles Barkley was a freak. You don't try and replicate those guy's success with other people.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm thankful too that we have them but we should also be thankful that we got a steal in Marcus Thornton. Let's not forget since he came over he's been our go to clutch guy and 8/10 times hes delivered.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Define "stretch 4".
Well, I think Jamison helped create the definition. Jeff Green would be an example. A player thats just a little too undersized both height wise and strength wise to be considered a PF on a permanent basis, and just a little too slow, and lacks a good enough outside game to be considered a SF on a permanent basis. So basicly its a player that has skills, but just doesn't have a true position due to some of the reasons I listed.

Sort of the same way the term combo guard was created. These guys have always been there, we just never labeled them before.

Seriously, thank god we got these two studs the last two drafts and are not(IMO) dependent on finding a star in this draft.

That is all.
I don't entirely disagree with you here. The fate of the Kings' next 5-10 years is tied in to how good DMC and Reke will end up becoming. If they're both all-stars, we could have an annual 50 win team. If they're both just above average, hello to 35-40 wins annually.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't entirely disagree with you here. The fate of the Kings' next 5-10 years is tied in to how good DMC and Reke will end up becoming. If they're both all-stars, we could have an annual 50 win team. If they're both just above average, hello to 35-40 wins annually.
Depends on who you put around them. Thornton is a good start.

Well - yes - if you put Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen in their prime around them....it wouldn't matter how good they become.

I maintain that our team's fate for the time being really is dependent on how good those two can be if we're going to be satisfied with them as our "stars".

S

Shabazz916

i just hope cousins get in better shape and works on his jumper and post moves and evans works on his shooting and decision making

Well, I think Jamison helped create the definition. Jeff Green would be an example. A player thats just a little too undersized both height wise and strength wise to be considered a PF on a permanent basis, and just a little too slow, and lacks a good enough outside game to be considered a SF on a permanent basis. So basicly its a player that has skills, but just doesn't have a true position due to some of the reasons I listed.

Sort of the same way the term combo guard was created. These guys have always been there, we just never labeled them before.
Lamar Odom.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I tend to agree, but in his case I think its a matter of his being talented enough to play both positions. I think he could have been just a PF, or just a SF. Probably a better PF than a SF, but none the less, I think he could have played either position fairly well to good.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

I always took the term literally - a power forward who could shoot outside and therefore stretch the floor. I could think of Nowitsky as a stretch 4 because he obviously stetches it more than any other forward in the league with his outside shooting. I didn't really think in terms of the player not having a postion, which tends to be viewed negatively.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always took the term literally - a power forward who could shoot outside and therefore stretch the floor. I could think of Nowitsky as a stretch 4 because he obviously stetches it more than any other forward in the league with his outside shooting. I didn't really think in terms of the player not having a postion, which tends to be viewed negatively.
Yeah, forwards stuck between positions I've always referenced as tweeners, which Jamison, Jeff Green, Michael Beasley and very possibly Derrick Williams are. Most often guys who played PF in college and are too small to do so in the NBA.

I think of stretch 4's as PFs whose game is either predicated or largely dependent on outside shooting. Channing Frye, Vladimir Radmanovic, Robert Horry and Rasheed Wallace at the end of his career. Considering he played PF with Orlando I'd put Rashard Lewis in that category too. Dirk Nowitzki obviously fits the definition but he's so talented and "stretch 4" seems limiting and almost vaguely desparaging that I hesitate to call him one.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
On Cousins twitter, a few weeks back, he took a bet from someone who bet him he couldn't lose 20 lbs by august. Cousins said it was easy money. Sure at least a few of you will find that interesting.

Maybe someone should bet Reke he won't be as good a shooter as Thornton come training camp. Obviously he won't, but the intent to get there and the work put in would be great.