ESPN Mock Lottery & Draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/index

I'm just like every body else here, I'll cheer the Kings on until the final buzzer, but I got a little bored and thought I'd see how we'd come out in the simulator.

ESPN boasts 2,184 possible scenarios. I'm not quite that bored so I ran 109 simulations, roughly 5% of the possible outcomes. Here are the results:

Brandon Roy (SG from Washington): 83 times
Randy Foye (G from Villanova): 4 times
Al Holford (PF from Florida): 5 times
LaMarcus Aldridge (PF from Texas): 1 time
No one: 13 times

We had the 13th-14th pick every time with the obvious exception of the one time Aldridge showed up.

There seems to be a glitch in the system which allows multiple teams to show up every so often, which explains the 13 times we had no pick.

I do realize that draft speculation is silly at this time of the year, especially before the NCAA's, but what do you guys think of these prospects? Another SG seems to be a stretch to me, but who knows.

I'm off to solve world hunger now......... or at least mine. :D

I doubt we draft a swingman, and prefer we don't, but if we do I'd be alright with it because there are a whole bunch of quality SG/SF prospects in there (Carney/Roy/Collins/Brewer). Ultimately I think we draft a big man, or a PG. Would prefer, and think the former...

Last edited:
i think its imperative that the kings draft a big this offseason. no ifs ands or buts about it. very simple. end of discussion. even if he's not the shotblocking/rebounding difference maker i'm hoping for, we have to draft a big with potential for the future. we've got guards up the ***. we don't need any more, especially considering how few solid bigs are out there at the moment.

Either a big or a backup PG. I think PGs are going to be a plenty where we are drafting. If Sheldon isn't there (we don't need an offensive powerhouse), take a pg cause if we want to contend next year will need it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
bigbadred00 said:
Either a big or a backup PG. I think PGs are going to be a plenty where we are drafting. If Sheldon isn't there (we don't need an offensive powerhouse), take a pg cause if we want to contend next year will need it.
While a backup PG would be useful, we basically have no shot at contention without major frontcourt work, so I really don't want to see us wasting our best pick in forever on a 12 min backup PG. You figure you can always sign a guy like that on the open market. But a good young big...the Kings haven't drafted a big in the first round in over a decade! :eek: (Grant)

I'm a "best player available" kind of guy. So my list still begins with
#1 LaMarcus Aldridge
#2 Rodney Carney

Great to have a young big, but don't forget about the LLE -- chances are if the Kings are picking around 13 they could probably do better with the LLE than the draft given the way this draft is stacked with swingmen.

Bricklayer said:
While a backup PG would be useful, we basically have no shot at contention without major frontcourt work, so I really don't want to see us wasting our best pick in forever on a 12 min backup PG. You figure you can always sign a guy like that on the open market. But a good young big...the Kings haven't drafted a big in the first round in over a decade! :eek: (Grant)
I'd be all up for Sheldon. But I've heard from others on this board that he really isn't that good. Well that's a problem, b/c he's one of the better defenders in college (I guess college defenders aren't that great). I don't know if will be high enough.

I don't know who is available (Bobby although I doubt that would ever happen) but we need somebody. Dickau will be available (kinda ironic), Speedy I think will get some decent offers. Chucky. The problem is going to be where we are drafting, alot of good PGs are available. I don't think the same can be said about the defensive post players (who don't come very often) that can play a little O.

Aldridge is going to be a monster in the NBA, I think he will be 20+ 10+ by 2nd season. A lot of luck to get there though. If we do end up 12-13 range, I would like to see us package the pick w/ someone for a big. We have you swingmen and possibly Bonzi next year, If we want to be competetive a major change involving a pick or young player is going to need to develop.

I agree about Price, just thinking a small guard is a possibility because of Hart and what becomes of him. I really prefer and hope we draft a big man though.

I disagree about Shelden, based on what I've seen and read. I'd love to see us draft him if he's available.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Shelden would be awsome. The guy will be a legit shotblocker in the NBA. His wingspan has got to be unbelievable. The measurements on this guy will likely push him out of our range.

SacTownKid said:
Yeah, Shelden would be awsome. The guy will be a legit shotblocker in the NBA. His wingspan has got to be unbelievable. The measurements on this guy will likely push him out of our range.
He is said to have 7'2" wingspan - very good but nothing spectacular. I wonder how he will pass athletic tests: he may be too slow for PF. Duke allows most points in the paint among Division I teams: of course they play at high pace and it's part of their strategy to prevent 3p-shots but it also means his shotblocking is overrrated. He's really uncomfortable defending out of paint. You decide if he's sure thing.

Last edited:
Shelden Williams is not 6'9", he's been owned by good post players, he has long arms but he's not that athletic. To me he screams Malik Rose.

nbrans said:
Shelden Williams is not 6'9", he's been owned by good post players, he has long arms but he's not that athletic. To me he screams Malik Rose.
Sheldon gets no help b/c they focus on the perimeter. There's a reason they only have 2 losses and that is Sheldon and Reddick, the other guys are small, Sheldon is pretty dominant. Did you see some of his blocks last night. It wasn't his fault, JJ went 10-28.

bigbadred00 said:
Sheldon gets no help b/c they focus on the perimeter. There's a reason they only have 2 losses and that is Sheldon and Reddick, the other guys are small, Sheldon is pretty dominant. Did you see some of his blocks last night. It wasn't his fault, JJ went 10-28.
I'm not saying he's a bad college player -- he's perfectly sized for college. But if he can't even slow down the LaMarcus Aldridges and the Killingsworths in college (Killingsworth is only 6'8" and he dropped 34 on Williams) how in the heck is he going to guard Duncan and Bosh? I just don't see him making a great pro player.

Scouting Report: Plays like he owns the paint, which may be the reason why he is nicknamed "The Landlord ... A physical, yet smooth scorer around the basket ... Combines skills, strength and athleticism to collect high-percentage looks in traffic ... Really crashes the boards with authority ... A talent who doesn't mind getting dirty ... Because of his bulk, he does not look like he would be a great athlete, but he is actually lightening quick off the floor ... Swats a ton of shots as a result, he is one of the best shot-blockers for his height in the nation ... Will be a terror down the road as long as he continues to work on extending his game ... Needs to also cut down on foul trouble.

Averages 3.7 Blocks per game. If you could point me to a better post defender in the country, I'd like to see it. You keep saying he's not that great, but there doesn't seem to be much better in the NCAA. He is still the 2nd best player on the best team in the country (arguable).

Do you think Boone would be a better fit. The guy is a lot more raw and not as good of a shot blocker.

Hilton Armstrong might be the better fit but offensively he isn't very good at all and is fairly skinny (6 ft 11, 235). But he is a very good shot blocker 3.3 a game.

In my opinion Hilton Armstrong looks more Steven Hunter than Samuel Dalembert. Boone is sort of like Pollard but without the intensity. I'm not very excited about either of them.

Oh, and as for your comment about Williams, he's one of the best help defenders in the league, which is where he gets his blocked shots, but he's not a good post defender at all. Seriously, check over the box scores. He gets abused by good post players, whether they're tall (Aldridge), small (Killingsworth) or his own size (Cedric Williams).

Last edited: