Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/hollinger?team=sac

Hollinger Profiles: Sacramento Kings

Player Efficiency Rating (PER)

League average: 15.0

Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Though Abdur-Rahim missed 28 games to undergo elbow surgery and often had to play out of position, he put up his usual fine numbers. He's a polished scorer who can get points in a variety of ways. He has ... Complete Profile

PER
League Avg: +3.72

Mike Bibby
Bibby continues to be one of the game's best guards, and if it weren't for Chauncey Billups, he'd have locked up "Best current player to never appear in an All-Star Game" status. Like most of the Kings, ... Complete Profile

PER
League Avg: +4.19

Erik Daniels
An undrafted free agent, Daniels spent the year at the end of the Kings' bench and showed little in his few chances to play. He shot only 33 percent from the field and didn't manage a single free throw. ... Complete Profile

PER
League Avg: -10.43

Francisco Garcia
Garcia was the oldest player picked in this year's draft, so his college numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. However, unlike recent "old men" who were busts -- think Dan Dickau and Rafael Araujo ... Complete Profile

PER
--​

Jason Hart
One of Charlotte's few free-agent pickups in its first season, Hart exceeded expectations. His only NBA experience prior to the Bobcats came in a brief stint with San Antonio the year before, and it was ... Complete Profile

PER
League Avg: +1.87

Kevin Martin
The Kings' first-round draft pick in 2004, Martin had a disappointing rookie campaign that saw him bounced from the rotation by the end of the season. Martin is quick and has a scorer's instincts, but ... Complete Profile

PER
League Avg: -6.33

Brad Miller
One of basketball's most underrated performers, Miller was having his best season before a broken leg derailed him in the final two months. He tried to come back for the playoffs but was completely overwhelmed ... Complete Profile

PER
League Avg: +5.71

Jamal Sampson
Sampson is young and statistically has shown tremendous potential, especially as a rebounder. But his attitude and effort have been found wanting by three teams in three years, and he may be running out ... Complete Profile

PER
League Avg: -3.45

Brian Skinner
Skinner was a good example of the danger of small sample sizes. At the time of the trade, Skinner had an awful PER in Philadelphia and was banished to the end of the Sixers' bench. But by looking at Skinner's ... Complete Profile

PER
League Avg: -1.28

Peja Stojakovic
Stojakovic followed up the best season of his career with one of the worst, dropping off in every important area and losing 16 games to hamstring problems. Stojakovic is perhaps the sweetest shooting forward ... Complete Profile

PER
League Avg: +2.29

Kenny Thomas
The best of the 3 players Sacramento acquired in the Webber trade, Thomas was a good fit for the Kings' system since he loves to play from the elbows. That's where Sacramento's big men usually catch the ... Complete Profile

PER
League Avg: +0.18

Bonzi Wells
Wells had a good season until the playoffs started. His ability to post up was a key for the second unit, as he was the only Grizzly other than Gasol who could score on the blocks. Wells averaged nearly ... Complete Profile

PER
League Avg: +0.93

Corliss Williamson
Williamson played the majority of his Sacramento minutes at small forward last season, which is why I listed him at that spot even though he saw more time at power forward overall. At either forward spot, ... Complete Profile

PER
League Avg: -0.41

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Made me go check NBA efficiency ratings last year. KG was #1 with a ridiculous 31.96. The Kings in the Top 50 were:

11) Brad Miller +23.71
20) Chris Webber +21.28
25) Mike Bibby +19.98
44) Peja Stojakovic +17.48

Don't seem to match up exactly -- is there actually multiple ways to calculate PER?

hmm... so we traded Webb with a 21.28 player efficiency ratings for 3 players with efficiency ratings of .18, -0.41 & -.18. Good thing that the player efficiency ratio isn't the only way to judge players, or I'd call that a bad trade.;)

I think ESPN.com's ratings are different. I've been perusing their site a lot today, and I find these statistical amalgamations fascinating. I wish they had some sort of team averages, or a complete set of rankings on one list.

The stats are flawed after all, but interesting nonetheless. If I get some free time I may put together some comparison of last years' performance versus salary. Then the Maloofs can take it to Peja's camp during contract negotiations ;)

ESPN qualified the rankings with 25+ being superstar, 20+ a star, and 15 average. As we all know, by the looks of things we have a star (Brad), three almost stars (Bibby, SAR, Peja), and a number of average/above average players. Really makes it hard to argue max contracts for a lot of players out there, but then again there is supply, demand, and stupidity.

I wonder if I can get extra credit in my economics statistics class for this.

love_them_kings said:
hmm... so we traded Webb with a 21.28 player efficiency ratings for 3 players with efficiency ratings of .18, -0.41 & -.18. Good thing that the player efficiency ratio isn't the only way to judge players, or I'd call that a bad trade.;)
Yeah really...was taking a look at a handful of other player's PER's, and Peja is 17.29, but saw that Chris Anderson from the Hornets was 18.54. Anyone want a trade??:D

T

thesanityannex

love_them_kings said:
didn't you mean webber with a +3.6, and his efficiency rating was not 21.28, it is 18.6.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
thesanityannex said:
didn't you mean webber with a +3.6, and his efficiency rating was not 21.28, it is 18.6.
No, actually its 21.28, and was no doubt considerably higher before the trade:

http://www.nba.com/statistics/2004/default_regular_season_leaders/LeagueLeadersEFFQuery.html?topic=0&stat=27

That is why I am confused about Hollinger's PER not seeming to match up with the NBAs.

here is the NBA's formula: ((PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK) - ((FGA - FGM) + (FTA - FTM) + TO)) / G

Seems simple + logical enough. A measurement of overall contribution. Useful for fantasy ball. So what is the difference with Hollinger's?

Hollingers factors production PER minute. He also says that certain statistics are not worth 1 point (like Efficiency Rating on NBA.com does). Hollinger factors in Pace as well in PER.

C

Coach

Hollinger assigns his own subjective values to particular stats before he does any calculations. But he won't share 1) what those point values are, or 2) how he arrives as them. That's why his methods are so uninteresting, IMO.

Here is his quote: "The formula, which I call the Player Efficiency Rating (PER), adds the good (made shots, steals, assists, rebounds, blocked shots, free throws), and subtracts the bad (missed shots, turnovers, fouls) by assigning a point value to each item (I arrive at the point values in a fairly tortuous way, and that's one of the parts I'm saving for the book)."

Coach said:
Hollinger assigns his own subjective values to particular stats before he does any calculations. But he won't share 1) what those point values are, or 2) how he arrives as them. That's why his methods are so uninteresting, IMO.

Here is his quote: "The formula, which I call the Player Efficiency Rating (PER), adds the good (made shots, steals, assists, rebounds, blocked shots, free throws), and subtracts the bad (missed shots, turnovers, fouls) by assigning a point value to each item (I arrive at the point values in a fairly tortuous way, and that's one of the parts I'm saving for the book)."
They aren't especially subjective -- you have to buy his books to see exactly how he does it.

I don't think he meant it was subjective. I think he meant it is a really complicated statistical system. That's his deal...statistics. If he put a great deal of time, effort and thought into his system, I can understand why he isn't going to give it away for free. Once he publishes it, he has the rights to it. If someone (like ESPN, for instance) would like to use it then, they'll have to pay him as the developer of the rating system.