Eric Paschall/Vlade’s drafting

Honest question, if in a couple seasons new JJ develops into a good player, will you consider not prejudging players / draft selections this soon into a career?
He won't. Even in preseason he's shown pretty much nothing for me to believe he might develop into anything of substance. He's a JAG. If I'm wrong I'll gladly come on here and apologize for my pre-judgement.

What about the Papa pick lol
Papa was a little bit of a later pick, not quite as egregious as picking Bagley over a generational talent.

Still, I always say how surprised I am that Papa G isn't talked about more. He wasn't just a bust - he was a top bust of the busts. He barely played, is now out of the league and when he did play he looked like he had never touched a basketball. It was an atrocious pick.

How long has it been since the Kings have even sniffed the playoffs? And do the playoffs look within reach with this team? Blows my mind that some here act incredulous that people would dare question the job vlade is doing........like we are questioning Masai Ujiri. We aren't talking about a team that is on the verge of something big here. This team has been stepping on their **** going on what, a decade and a half, and I feel pretty confidently saying that that isn't gonna change anytime soon.

Id trust some here at KF to do a better job than vlade has done up to now.
The fact that we haven't made the playoffs in so long is getting in peoples heads. Vlade hasn't been the GM for 15 years and this franchise has gone through multiple phases.

I'm not even a fan of Vlade as a GM, but I can see the risks he's taken to try to get to the playoffs quickly and sustain it. As dysfunctional as this franchise has been since the Maloofs tried to destroy it, I'd be amazed if anyone of stature would even touch this team. So I'm grateful for Valde putting himself out there for the franchise.

I'm not even a fan of Vlade as a GM, but I can see the risks he's taken to try to get to the playoffs quickly and sustain it.
Thats actually a big part of the problem. When you are 35 win team and trade away your best player, making moves to try to make the playoffs quickly is just stupid. Its being a bad GM and its probably inexperience. Not being smart enough to rebuild patiently just adds to the horrible management this franchise has had for so long and Vlades overall track record during his time as a GM has been very bad.

Thats actually a big part of the problem. When you are 35 win team and trade away your best player, making moves to try to make the playoffs quickly is just stupid. Its being a bad GM and its probably inexperience. Not being smart enough to rebuild patiently just adds to the horrible management this franchise has had for so long and Vlades overall track record during his time as a GM has been very bad.
Which best player did they trade?

Edit: Oh, you meant Demarcus? That one kinda worked out, so we can move on.

Which best player did they trade?

Edit: Oh, you meant Demarcus? That one kinda worked out, so we can move on.
I didnt say it wasnt smart to trade him. When we traded him it was clear that we wouldnt be competitive for few years so that should've been a clear signal for Vlade to patiently rebuild for those few years. We didnt and it was one example of being a bad gm and thats the point. Doint some quick moves to get to the playoffs was really bad.

I didnt say it wasnt smart to trade him. When we traded him it was clear that we wouldnt be competitive for few years so that should've been a clear signal for Vlade to patiently rebuild for those few years. We didnt and it was one example of being a bad gm and thats the point. Doint some quick moves to get to the playoffs was really bad.
To my point, this was a problem Vlade inherited. I'd argue the franchise is in better position today if another GM were to come in and replace him. And if another GM came in today, the fans still wouldn't be patient with getting to the playoffs. Everyone is freaking out right now is because we thought we were going to compete and less than 10 games in, there have been some struggles. Can we lecture the team on patience when the fanbase can't get through 2 weeks? Yes, pressure from the customer base always has an impact.

Should there be concern? Absolutely. Has Vlade made mistakes? Definitely, just like most GMs. But we already knew the mistakes Vlade made before the season started, yet we all had high expectations for the season based on Vlades recent moves.

To my point, this was a problem Vlade inherited.
If thats a problem Vlade inherited, a good gm wouldnt do the same mistakes the previous ones did.

I'd argue the franchise is in better position today if another GM were to come in and replace him. And if another GM came in today, the fans still wouldn't be patient with getting to the playoffs.
I dont care at all how patient the fans are and neither should the Gm. The GM should be smarter than the fans. When the GM does smart moves for few years while rebuilding, gets some extra assets and puts the team in a position to succeed, the fans will understand eventually. Getting some short term sympathy from fans by signing idiotic short term contracts like Ghill and Zbo shouldnt mean anything to a GM. Getting short term sympathy from fans by idiotically trading a 1st and a swap for cap space to get someone insignificant like Rondo shouldnt mean anything to a Gm.

Everyone is freaking out right now is because we thought we were going to compete and less than 10 games in, there have been some struggles. Can we lecture the team on patience when the fanbase can't get through 2 weeks? Yes, pressure from the customer base always has an impact.
Again, if the fanbase doesnt understand why its smart to make moves for long term when you are rebuilding, then the opinion of the fanbase should be irrelevant. You cannot justify doing stupid things because some average fan would probably agree with you. A good GM would never do that.

Should there be concern? Absolutely. Has Vlade made mistakes? Definitely, just like most GMs.
Vlades mistakes are not "just like most GMs". Vlade executed one of the dumbest trades in the past 10 years. He somehow managed to screw up a slam dunk draft when we lucked into a 2nd pick , most of his draft picks are out of the team and he werent able to execute the rebuild correctly (adding future assets). Those are horrible mistakes. Those are absolutely huge mistakes and a guy that does mistakes like that should be fired immediately.

But we already knew the mistakes Vlade made before the season started, yet we all had high expectations for the season based on Vlades recent moves.
To me those mistakes were fireable far before this season and I never expected that adding average veterans for 40mil/year and extending Barnes to 20+mil/year would make us a contender or something like that.

If thats a problem Vlade inherited, a good gm wouldnt do the same mistakes the previous ones did.

I dont care at all how patient the fans are and neither should the Gm. The GM should be smarter than the fans. When the GM does smart moves for few years while rebuilding, gets some extra assets and puts the team in a position to succeed, the fans will understand eventually. Getting some short term sympathy from fans by signing idiotic short term contracts like Ghill and Zbo shouldnt mean anything to a GM. Getting short term sympathy from fans by idiotically trading a 1st and a swap for cap space to get someone insignificant like Rondo shouldnt mean anything to a Gm.

Again, if the fanbase doesnt understand why its smart to make moves for long term when you are rebuilding, then the opinion of the fanbase should be irrelevant. You cannot justify doing stupid things because some average fan would probably agree with you. A good GM would never do that.

Vlades mistakes are not "just like most GMs". Vlade executed one of the dumbest trades in the past 10 years. He somehow managed to screw up a slam dunk draft when we lucked into a 2nd pick , most of his draft picks are out of the team and he werent able to execute the rebuild correctly (adding future assets). Those are horrible mistakes. Those are absolutely huge mistakes and a guy that does mistakes like that should be fired immediately.

To me those mistakes were fireable far before this season and I never expected that adding average veterans for 40mil/year and extending Barnes to 20+mil/year would make us a contender or something like that.
I'm not passionate enough about Vlade to go into a full defense of him. But Pete D as GM had Cousins, Gay, Thomas and Mike Malone as coach and promptly blew everything up. Then the Kings hired Karl and he blew everything. Then the Kings hired Vlade, who has no experience. The common denominator in all the dysfunction are the owners.

Until the franchise gets its act together, I don't care who the Kings draft. There is no guarantees the franchise can properly develop or put any young player in a position to succeed.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow.

I swear, I cannot understand some of the comments made around here any more. It's almost like people feel it's mandatory to dump all over anyone who has ever worn the Kings uniform.

I'm truly hoping this might have been sarcasm...

There are a handful of people in this thread (among other threads) that seem to only derive joy from pointing out negatives. I have to wonder at this point why they even bother to follow the team any more.

I may get frustrated but I love being a Kings fan. If I didn't enjoy it at all, the way some of you appear, I'd find something else to do with my time.

Life is too short to spend so much time on vitriol and disdain. At least, that's my two cents (as a fan, not a mod).

I'm not passionate enough about Vlade to go into a full defense of him. But Pete D as GM had Cousins, Gay, Thomas and Mike Malone as coach and promptly blew everything up. Then the Kings hired Karl and he blew everything. Then the Kings hired Vlade, who has no experience. The common denominator in all the dysfunction are the owners.

Until the franchise gets its act together, I don't care who the Kings draft. There is no guarantees the franchise can properly develop or put any young player in a position to succeed.
I agree, owner situation is the root for this amazingly long stretch of misery. Doesnt change the fact that Vlade has been a bad GM and its a lot easier to fire a GM than to change the owner. All the fans can do is just hope Vlade is fired soon and the guy replacing him has experience and competency.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I agree, owner situation is the root for this amazingly long stretch of misery. Doesnt change the fact that Vlade has been a bad GM and its a lot easier to fire a GM than to change the owner. All the fans can do is just hope Vlade is fired soon and the guy replacing him has experience and competency.
Sorry, but THIS FAN does not want to see Vlade fired. I, and a lot of others, would rather hope things go the right way after a rocky start. That's just as valid as your alleged "only" course of action.

Sorry, but THIS FAN does not want to see Vlade fired. I, and a lot of others, would rather hope things go the right way after a rocky start. That's just as valid as your alleged "only" course of action.
Well what I said was my opinion and I presented arguments to support my opinion. You obviously dont have to agree with it and I dont have to agree with you so if your point was that some people might disagree with me, then... okay I guess, it doesnt shock me that it could happen

Wow.

I swear, I cannot understand some of the comments made around here any more. It's almost like people feel it's mandatory to dump all over anyone who has ever worn the Kings uniform.

I'm truly hoping this might have been sarcasm...

There are a handful of people in this thread (among other threads) that seem to only derive joy from pointing out negatives. I have to wonder at this point why they even bother to follow the team any more.

I may get frustrated but I love being a Kings fan. If I didn't enjoy it at all, the way some of you appear, I'd find something else to do with my time.

Life is too short to spend so much time on vitriol and disdain. At least, that's my two cents (as a fan, not a mod).
My comment was a joke. Perhaps I shouldn't have assumed it would be as obvious written. It was really meant to as a response the excessive negativity and one sided criticism of Vlade