Early Award Picks For 2004-2005 Season

Season's not quite over yet, but who are your early picks to win the following awards:
MVP
Rookie of the Year
Offensive Player of the Year
Defenseive Player
Comeback Player
Coach of the Year
GM of the Year

and maybe:
First/Second All-NBA teams
First All-Rookie team

I'll post mine soon...It'll be nice to see the speculation on each of those topics (although I don't think anyone is gonna argue on the Comeback Player)

F

Fillmoe

MVP - Nash
Rookie of the Year - Gordon
Offensive Player of the Year - Iverson
Defenseive Player - ???? Artest (LOL)
Comeback Player - G Hill hands down
Coach of the Year - Stan Van Gundy or Mike Fratello
GM of the Year - Petrie (Mobley for Christie, even though im sad to see Webber go, Petrie did good by dumping his contract to the sixers)

Fillmoe said:
GM of the Year - Petrie (Mobley for Christie, even though im sad to see Webber go, Petrie did good by dumping his contract to the sixers)
Verdicts still out on Petrie. He may still be the wrost GM of the year, and has no shot at GM of the year. (You don't mess up a winning team mid-season) Pat Riley is the GM of the year. Hands down.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Heuge said:
Verdicts still out on Petrie. He may still be the wrost GM of the year, and has no shot at GM of the year. (You don't mess up a winning team mid-season) Pat Riley is the GM of the year. Hands down.
Riley is right up there, also impressed by what Mullin has done. But hard to ignore the Suns this year when it comes to GM magic.

Geoff's not even on the radar BTW. If he picks up another GM of the year it will be next year based on his ability to recover from the moves this year. That was the point.

MVP - Steve Nash
Rookie of the Year - Emeka Okafor
Offensive Player of the Year - Allen Iverson
Defensive Player - Ben Wallace
Comeback Player - Grant Hill
Coach of the Year - [size=-1] Nate McMillan(Sonics)[/size]
GM of the Year - [size=-1] Bryan Colangelo(Suns)[/size]

First All-NBA team:
G-Steve Nash
G-Allen Iverson
F-LeBron James
F-Tim Duncan
C-Shaq(sadly)

Second All-NBA team:
G-Dwayne Wade
G-Kobe Bryant(sadly, again)
F-Dirk Nowitzki
F-Amare Stoudemire
C-Yao Ming

First All-Rookie Team:
G-Andre Igoudala
G-Ben Gordon
F-Luol Deng
F-Dwight Howard
C-Emeka Okafor

F

Fillmoe

Heuge said:
petrie obviously knew this wasnt our year, after this year it would have been practically impossible to dump Webbers huge contract...... he got as much as he could and is thinking about his next moves in the offseason.

Bricklayer

Fillmoe said:
petrie obviously knew this wasnt our year, after this year it would have been practically impossible to dump Webbers huge contract...... he got as much as he could and is thinking about his next moves in the offseason.
Whihc won;t win you a GM of the year award, or anything lcose. Hard to make your team WORSE and win the aqward on speculation about the future. If he wins another one it will be by actually making the future happen. not because he's managed to create a struggling sub-.500 team out of an aging crew that was still thinking outside shot at a championship whent he year started.

for some reason, i cant remember when exactly they give out the GM award...my assumption is at the end of the regular season, but im wondering if its even after the playoffs...wanna help me find my marbles on this one?

F

Fillmoe

Bricklayer said:
Whihc won;t win you a GM of the year award, or anything lcose. Hard to make your team WORSE and win the aqward on speculation about the future. If he wins another one it will be by actually making the future happen. not because he's managed to create a struggling sub-.500 team out of an aging crew that was still thinking outside shot at a championship whent he year started.
whoa whoa............ make the team worse?
Kenny Thomas 13 pts 8 rebounds 2 assists
Corliss Williamson- 8 pts 2 rebounds 2 assists
Brian Skinner 9 pts 9 rebounds 1 assist
Total: 30 points 19 rebounds 5 assists

Chris Webber- 21 points 9 rebounds 5 assists
Matt Barnes- 3 points 3 rebounds 1 assist
Michael Bradley 2 points 1 rebound 0 assists
Total: 26 points 13 rebounds 6 assists

our record since the Webber trade hasnt been good, but look at all the injuries we have had in that period. Also i do believe Webber is out with an injury and has been for a couple games now.........

Fillmoe said:

our record since the Webber trade hasnt been good, but look at all the injuries we have had in that period. Also i do believe Webber is out with an injury and has been for a couple games now.........
Those stats are skewed at best. Skinner, Thomas, and Corliss would have a significantly less amount of minutes if Brad were around. Secondly, we had the same sort of injuries last year, when Webb came back, but that time we had a better then .500 record and won a playoff series. Since the trade we have a less then .500 record and a playoff series win is looking bleak.

F

Fillmoe

Heuge said:
Those stats are skewed at best. Skinner, Thomas, and Corliss would have a significantly less amount of minutes if Brad were around.
im not being rude, but Keyword: if

Bricklayer

Fillmoe said:

whoa whoa -- YES.

You can't just add numbers in basketball, and you certainly can't do it without even looking at minutes (in which case it takes the new guys 80min to put up those numbers and the old guys about 50 to put up theirs). Under that sort of silly approach the Spurs should jump all over a trade of KT, Skinner and Corliss for Duncan. Want to take any bets on their actual response?

Great players have a HUGE spillover effect in basketball, more than any other sport. With only 5 guys on the court, and no set positions on the floor, one great player is worth half a dozen middling guys.

And it shows with us -- our heart and personality was ripped out, and we are suffering because of it. The new guys are trying hard, but they are not superstar players, and they have no spill over effect to their teammates. On his best days, KT just about puts up numbers from a bad day for Chris. But he doesn't make the game at all easier for Mike or Peja or any of the other guys, and so those guys have to struggle to make it happen for themselves. That is what a great player does in basketball. In baseball Barry Bonds does not make the game at all easier for his #8 hitting shortstop. In football Randy Moss does not make the game at all easier for his noseguard. But in basketball a great player can absolutely make the game easier for eveyrone around him. And when you've built your entire system around that player's abilities, it only makes it more devastating to lose them.

As a further note, what exactly do you think is going to happen to the minutes & numbers of the new guys if we ever get healthy? Bingo.

Last edited:
F

Fillmoe

better numbers with webb last year?

Webb is a great player but we didnt have better numbers with webb last year

last year without webber we were 46-16

with webber last year 9-11

Rookie-Ben Gordon
Offensive player-Iverson
Defensive player-Ben Wallace
Comeback player-Chris Webber ;)
MVP-Duncan
6th player-Radmanovic ;)
Coach-RA :D

Last edited:
Fillmoe said:
better numbers with webb last year?

Webb is a great player but we didnt have better numbers with webb last year

last year without webber we were 46-16

with webber last year 9-11
Uh,no. we were 12-12 after Webb came back and then we won a playoff series. This year we are 7-8 since the trade.

The key thing is we won a playoff series and took Minne to the brink, a team we have perinnelly struggled with when we were not at 100% health, and Peja playing terribly.

Fillmoe, you throw out tons of number trying to convince us Petrie has done a good job blowing up a team that has won 50+ games last 3 season? Nice try.

But can you please not turning this thread into ANOTHER "we are better without Webber" thread? Totally off-topic.

This thread is called "Early Award Picks For 2004-2005 Season", dude.

MVP - Shaq O'Neal, Miami
(Best Record in the NBA. Completely turned franchise around.)

Rookie of the Year - Dwight Howard, Orlando
(22+ Double Doubles including 3 20+ rebound games, Magic a playoff contender)

Defensive Player - Bruce Bowen, San Antonio
(Shut Down, Lock Up Corner type player. Place him on your best offensive perimeter player ad leave him alone)

Comeback Player - Grant Hill, Orlando
(No explanation needed, a God ordained medical miracle)

Coach of the Year - [size=-1]Nate McMillian, Seattle[/size]
(Team was expected to be lottery.)

GM of the Year - [size=-1]Bryan Colangelo, Phoenix[/size]
(Secured Steve Nash and shored up a bad bench during the season,
and Suns barely skipped a beat)

First All-NBA team:
G-Steve Nash
G-Ray Allen
F-LeBron James
F-Amare Stoudamire
C-Shaq O'Neal

Second All-NBA team:
G-Dwayne Wade
G-Tracy McGrady
F-Dirk Nowitski
F-Kevin Garnett
C-Yao Ming

First All-Rookie Team:
G-Andre Igoudala
G-Ben Gordon
F-Luol Deng
F-Dwight Howard
C-Emeka Okafor

Riley is my GM of the year. He got the best player in the NBA without having to give up his best player, or his future.
I think the responcibility of the Suns resurgance lies more on amazing coaching then on the GM.

Heuge you can't be serious. It has more to do with Getting Nash, and the good drafting over the years. Your honestly telling me D'Antoni who doesn't coach during the games is why there winning. You can't be serious. Nash coaches more than D'Antoni and this is one of the reasons I don't think they'll go very far into the playoffs. If you recall this is D'Antoni's first winning season, he lost last year, he lost in Denver. The infusion of Nash and Q to the already young and talented lineup of Marion, Amare and JJ is the reason they are winning. How can you honestly see it as the coach doing a great job, the guy doesn't coach.

bigbadred00 said:
Heuge you can't be serious. It has more to do with Getting Nash, and the good drafting over the years. Your honestly telling me D'Antoni who doesn't coach during the games is why there winning. You can't be serious. Nash coaches more than D'Antoni and this is one of the reasons I don't think they'll go very far into the playoffs. If you recall this is D'Antoni's first winning season, he lost last year, he lost in Denver. The infusion of Nash and Q to the already young and talented lineup of Marion, Amare and JJ is the reason they are winning. How can you honestly see it as the coach doing a great job, the guy doesn't coach.
It takes a lot of guts to play the game without a real center. He simply put his five best players on the floor and adopted a type of playing style to match. Yes, I am serious and it is insulting for you to say otherwise.

Since93 said:
Fillmoe, you throw out tons of number trying to convince us Petrie has done a good job blowing up a team that has won 50+ games last 3 season? Nice try.

But can you please not turning this thread into ANOTHER "we are better without Webber" thread? Totally off-topic.

This thread is called "Early Award Picks For 2004-2005 Season", dude.
thanks S93. not that the topic they were reverting to was a bad one, my original thought was for awards...it started as a GM of the year thing but ya...we've had enough w/o webber threads, no disrespect to the guys who were talking about it, you all made valid points...

Purple Reign said:
MVP - Shaq O'Neal, Miami
(Best Record in the NBA. Completely turned franchise around.)

Rookie of the Year - Dwight Howard, Orlando
(22+ Double Doubles including 3 20+ rebound games, Magic a playoff contender)

Defensive Player - Bruce Bowen, San Antonio
(Shut Down, Lock Up Corner type player. Place him on your best offensive perimeter player ad leave him alone)

Comeback Player - Grant Hill, Orlando
(No explanation needed, a God ordained medical miracle)

Coach of the Year - [size=-1]Nate McMillian, Seattle[/size]
(Team was expected to be lottery.)

GM of the Year - [size=-1]Bryan Colangelo, Phoenix[/size]
(Secured Steve Nash and shored up a bad bench during the season,
and Suns barely skipped a beat)

First All-NBA team:
G-Steve Nash
G-Ray Allen
F-LeBron James
F-Amare Stoudamire
C-Shaq O'Neal

Second All-NBA team:
G-Dwayne Wade
G-Tracy McGrady
F-Dirk Nowitski
F-Kevin Garnett
C-Yao Ming

First All-Rookie Team:
G-Andre Igoudala
G-Ben Gordon
F-Luol Deng
F-Dwight Howard
C-Emeka Okafor
nice picks Purple (first person to completely fill it out...lol...which is fine), I disagree with some tho

shaq, imho, shouldn't be MVP, mostly because the didnt COMPLETELY turn around that franchise...D-Wade had put that team on his back in the PO last year, and they almost upset the Pacers...thats not bad

i cant believe AI was voided from your all-nba teams...leading scorer AND very good assist numbers...even if his team isnt doing all that well, its not like they were expected to contend all year.

also, i dont think KG should be on there, mostly because this has been a down year for him, and deffinetly for that franchise. Personally I believe Duncan will be on there, even if he also isnt having his best year, his team has been contending for the top overall record all year.

those are just my thoughts...dont mean to bring any negative feelings :)

anyone else wanna give it a shot? VF, 6th...i think you and others are suprisingly empty on this thread...lol

I'm not that knowledgable about the NBA, so feel free to treat my opinions with the contempt they deserve :)

MVP - Shaquille O'Neal, Miami
(I don't think they'd be anywhere near the best record if he wasn't playing for them)

Rookie of the Year - Ben Gordon, Chicago
(pressure?)

Offensive Player of the Year - Allen Iverson, Philadelphia
(playing in a different position than he's used to = 30.3 ppg)

Defensive Player of the Year - Tayshaun Prince, Detroit
(haven't seen too much of San Antonio this year, plus a change is as good as a rest)

6th Man of the year - Ben Gordon, Chicago
(pressure?)

Coach of the Year - George Karl, Denver
(Denver going nowhere slowly, then 19-5 and a first round play-off upset)

All-NBA team:
G Steve Nash
G Dwanye Wade
F LeBron James
F Amare Stoudamire
C Shaquille O'Neal

Last edited:
motorcycle said:
I'm not that knowledgable about the NBA, so feel free to treat my opinions with the contempt they deserve :)

MVP - Shaquille O'Neal, Miami
(I don't think they'd be anywhere near the best record if he wasn't playing for them)

Rookie of the Year - Ben Gordon, Chicago
(pressure?)

Offensive Player of the Year - Allen Iverson, Philadelphia
(playing in a different position than he's used to = 30.3 ppg)

Defensive Player of the Year - Tayshaun Prince, Detroit
(haven't seen too much of San Antonio this year, plus a change is as good as a rest)

6th Man of the year - Ben Gordon, Chicago
(pressure?)

Coach of the Year - George Karl, Denver
(Denver going nowhere slowly, then 19-5 and a first round play-off upset)

All-NBA team:
G Steve Nash
G Dwanye Wade
F LeBron James
F Amare Stoudamire
C Shaquille O'Neal
actually looks really good motor... my only comments are george karl may be doing really really really well, but i dont see him getting it when he's only gonna hav coached about half of the season...altho he deffinetly has a chance...and i like the tayshawn prince pick, kinda different, but very nice...and lastly the 6th man thing...i know theres someone else i think who should win it, but i cant remember who at the moment, so il get back to you...but ben gordon is a solid pick