Dragan Bender?

The guy simply was not/is not ready for the NBA currently but with his size/mobility and decent skills could develop into a Bjelica replacement in a year or two (or 3) for us to pair with Harry/Marvin. He's going to be an expiring but I would like the Kings to trade for him (Mason?/something worthless) to get to see what he has up close and even later in the season if we are out of the playoff race maybe some games. He's still 21 into a disastrous thus far NBA career and the Suns even signed Quincy Acy to a 10 day who plays a similar type game now days.

Unlike Papa G he's got the skillset for the modern NBA (or at least could develop it) he might just need a little more time.

I've never been a fan of him (you see, I don't like all Euros), he's just monodimensional.
We already have problems rebounding the ball, he's the last player I'd like to get this year.
With another center you can bet on his development, I'm just pessimistic.
He's a 7-feet shooter, that's it. He could be useful in the right system, not this one.

If I was Bender’s agent I would advise him to return to Europe to try and put his career back on track and regain his confidence.

For his own sake he needs to take a break from the NBA, where he is currently considered a bust. A wasted 4th pick. He can’t even get any PT on the worst team in the league. His value is non-existent.

Bender may be able to restore his career in Europe or elsewhere. There are precedents (Hassan Whiteside comes to mind). He is still young, so you never know... I wish him nothing but the best.

He is such a pansy. One of the weakest players in the league and wants nothing to do with a physical game down low where you need to battle for boards etc. Hard pass on him. Tools are there but mentality is severely lacking and not sure that's changing after 4vyears

kb02

All-Star
Draftexpress produced a ton of great, free content, but they got a pass on a sh*t ton of misses—Bender, Ntilikina, Fultz. They said Bender was a point forward, Ntilikina was a PG, n Fultz was a three level scoring beast. Never understood their scouting on any of those guys.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Draftexpress produced a ton of great, free content, but they got a pass on a sh*t ton of misses—Bender, Ntilikina, Fultz. They said Bender was a point forward, Ntilikina was a PG, n Fultz was a three level scoring beast. Never understood their scouting on any of those guys.
I think they were spot on with Fultz. I watched him play at least 20 times in college, and trust me, he's not the same player I watched. I have no explanation for what his problem is, but they were correct at the time. Didn't agree with them on Bender or Ntilikina, but I didn't really have much info to go on at the time. I didn't have www.livebasketball.tv at the time. Great site if you want to watch European basketball. Not free but inexpensive.

I think they were spot on with Fultz. I watched him play at least 20 times in college, and trust me, he's not the same player I watched. I have no explanation for what his problem is, but they were correct at the time. Didn't agree with them on Bender or Ntilikina, but I didn't really have much info to go on at the time. I didn't have www.livebasketball.tv at the time. Great site if you want to watch European basketball. Not free but inexpensive.
I follow Pac 12 sports and in particular UCLA. I watched about 10 UW games (mostly against UCLA and the Pac 12 tourney) and never rated him as an elite player. He was never an elite shooter and was an average, not a great passer with subpar motivation. MIke Schmitz, who is still holding out hope for Fultz, had this clip where Fultz spun into the paint, got stop by a big, and then he passed the ball. On the clip, Schmitz goes "Fultz has elite passing and vision". I was like WTF is he seeing.

I follow Pac 12 sports and in particular UCLA. I watched about 10 UW games (mostly against UCLA and the Pac 12 tourney) and never rated him as an elite player. He was never an elite shooter and was an average, not a great passer with subpar motivation. MIke Schmitz, who is still holding out hope for Fultz, had this clip where Fultz spun into the paint, got stop by a big, and then he passed the ball. On the clip, Schmitz goes "Fultz has elite passing and vision". I was like WTF is he seeing.
I'd be curious if there is a shadowy agent underground where money and favors get passed around to hype players

I'd be curious if there is a shadowy agent underground where money and favors get passed around to hype players
There was an article a while back, which basically accused DX of hyping up players on behalf of agents. The implication wasn't so much that they were getting paid, but that the currency was access to players, inside info, etc.

I think they were spot on with Fultz. I watched him play at least 20 times in college, and trust me, he's not the same player I watched. I have no explanation for what his problem is, but they were correct at the time.
I'm sure he did look like a much better player in college (although some of it may have been the competition). Clearly something isn't right with him right now and some of it has to be mental.

I will ask you this though......what was your take on his lack of winning at both Washington and even in high school? That was a red flag. For a guy that had so much hype around him why didn't he win more? Why didn't he make his teammates better?

That's always a big thing for me, some guys are just natural born leaders. Some guys just have those intangibles that make everyone around them better. You can't measure it at the combine or in the stats but it's there. Take a guy like Luka who regardless of the numbers just has that "it factor" to him. Look at Nick Foles when he gets to the playoffs. Some things you just can't explain and hence why player evaluation is so difficult.

I'm sure he did look like a much better player in college (although some of it may have been the competition). Clearly something isn't right with him right now and some of it has to be mental.

I will ask you this though......what was your take on his lack of winning at both Washington and even in high school? That was a red flag. For a guy that had so much hype around him why didn't he win more? Why didn't he make his teammates better?

That's always a big thing for me, some guys are just natural born leaders. Some guys just have those intangibles that make everyone around them better. You can't measure it at the combine or in the stats but it's there. Take a guy like Luka who regardless of the numbers just has that "it factor" to him. Look at Nick Foles when he gets to the playoffs. Some things you just can't explain and hence why player evaluation is so difficult.
I think you have to worry a bit when a top prospect can't lead his team to wins in the NCAA. But I have also thought that Lorenzo Romar is a fantastic recruiter but a mediocre coach. It seems like his Washington teams always underachieved relative to the amount of talent they had.

Even so, not having his team win was the biggest knock on Ben Simmons coming out of college too. Well, that and his lack of an outside shot. Neither has held him back from having a huge impact so far.

With Fultz, shooting was always a big part of his game, even if it was just to set up the drive, even off the dribble with the hesi. And with the bizarre inability to shoot in a normal fashion, his whole NBA career has been derailed.