Draft Day!

Who will the Kings pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Sharpe and DFS for 13+Salary

Do it.
The thing is that with teams knowing that the Nets are in full rebuild mode, I’m not sure it’ll necessarily take 13 to get it done. I could see them just accepting one of those “every second round pick we have and a middling young guy”’packages to just fully allow a reset since they’re probably going to be getting even more compensation for Cam Johnson and Claxton anyways.

The thing is that with teams knowing that the Nets are in full rebuild mode, I’m not sure it’ll necessarily take 13 to get it done. I could see them just accepting one of those “every second round pick we have and a middling young guy”’packages to just fully allow a reset since they’re probably going to be getting even more compensation for Cam Johnson and Claxton anyways.
Huerter and the ‘25 Portland second seems fair

I was watching a Carmichael Dave podcast and he said someone in the organization had told him last year that the Kings view Domas more as a 4, than a 5. Dave said he could see the Kings taking Edey and moving Domas to the 4.

Here is Dave’s podcast:

https://sactownsports.com/youtube_videos/video-should-the-sacramento-kings-draft-zach-edey/
Hmm great post. Super super interesting, considering he's been all nba at C the last 2 seasons. Maybe an attempt for him to take less punishment?

I was watching a Carmichael Dave podcast and he said someone in the organization had told him last year that the Kings view Domas more as a 4, than a 5. Dave said he could see the Kings taking Edey and moving Domas to the 4.

Here is Dave’s podcast:

https://sactownsports.com/youtube_videos/video-should-the-sacramento-kings-draft-zach-edey/
That's the kind of thing you stake your career on as a GM. I'm all for gimmicks though. Find a 6'8" SG and the Kings are set. It's interesting in the sense that Brown has literally not even attempted to play Domas at the 4. I think for like a 10 second transition last season with Len IIRC. Even fans were starting to call for Len and Domas to get time but it didn't happen even as a test. Same goes for Monk as a starter.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to contribute much this year to the draft discussions, but I see that Holland has gained some traction for fans here. On my draft notes for him, I have:
  • SG/SF in the NBA
  • Very high ceiling
  • Solid shooter, but has a poor percentage
  • Great lateral movement
  • Good defensive IQ
  • Shows aggressiveness
  • Mediocre handles and passing on offense
Picking at #13, I would have no problem taking a flier on him over someone more polished. He's probably not going to be a Day 1 impact player, but the best case scenario is that we see a Jonathan Kuminga type of development with the Kings where he gets real run on limited PT with flashes of his potential.

It would be nice to get a trade down before the draft so if we have a first round pick left during the draft we could have a clue what hole we need to fill.

We talk about needing length and I get it but we have a need for a big in the middle. After watching our struggles with a true big for most of the last few years then going back to Len after the season is pretty much lost or like last season we are hanging on.
Picking Edey might not be the best choice for length but dang at least he shouldn’t be a total project or another redundant guard And it fills a big need.

I would love to make a trade for kuzma as I hate waiting and having all of the players we are trying to get are shipped off to other teams again.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I keep waffling between Kings are going to trade the pick and Kings are keeping pick and dealing Huerter and Barnes and possibly Davion and or Sasha.

if they are able to swing a deal involving vets, they will swing and take Holland. If they can’t swing a deal involving vets, I think they take Da Silva.

I keep waffling between Kings are going to trade the pick and Kings are keeping pick and dealing Huerter and Barnes and possibly Davion and or Sasha.

if they are able to swing a deal involving vets, they will swing and take Holland. If they can’t swing a deal involving vets, I think they take Da Silva.
the question is who is really available? If they wanted Kuzma they would have had a deal lined up already. Porter basically can’t be traded because of the second apron stuff. Randle maybe? Not sure if they plan to keep him but he would be a big swing. I’ll keep an eye on Allen over in Cleveland if the kings decide to go big. Maybe Grant still. Jimmy? The big swings are going to want future picks. I think the Kings want to trade it but I’m not sure there is a match

Saw some tweets by some fairly well known Kings fans accounts….these are just fans…..who say they are sitting on inside information of a move that Kings fans are going to love. Actually was said by several people. Of course, I could go on X and do the same thing but it does make things interesting.
Laurin Markkanen incoming
Okay I had to bring this post in from the other locked thread because you can’t just say that and not allow me to comment! ;)

Markkanen would be a very interesting get as I’ve mentioned before. You’re probably talking #13 and at least two more 1sts (but likely 3 more 1sts) to land him but he’s…
  • On the same timeline as our core (27 years old)
  • Gives us another go-to scorer (25.3 PTS per 36 min) and does it extremely efficiently (.631 TS%)
  • He also gives us another guy that can get to the foul line consistently (5.5 FTA per 36 min) but can actually knock them down at a high clip (89.9%)
  • A huge rebounding upgrade (8.9 REB per 36 min) over Barnes (3.8 REB per 36 min)
  • A huge size/length upgrade (7’0.5” wingspan & 9’0” standing reach) over Barnes (6’11.25” wingspan & 8’5.5” standing reach)
  • A significant shooting, floor spacing upgrade (8.7 3PA per 36 min on 39.9% shooting) over Barnes (5.8 3PA per 36 min on 38.6% shooting)

Defensively, he might be around average so you’re really banking on Fox-Ellis-Murray to make you an above average defensive team combined with Markkanen’s and Sabonis’ ability to end possessions with their defensive rebounding considering they are both above average for their position in that category.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
noooo no way nba are doing something do get more money :cool:
What hour should the Draft begin by the way ?
The first round coverage today begins at 8 pm EDT (that's 5 pm PDT for those of us in California). We have a lot of international fans here in different time zones -- for many of you this probably starts early in the morning tomorrow.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay I had to bring this post in from the other locked thread because you can’t just say that and not allow me to comment! ;)

Markkanen would be a very interesting get as I’ve mentioned before. You’re probably talking #13 and at least two more 1sts (but likely 3 more 1sts) to land him but he’s…
  • On the same timeline as our core (27 years old)
  • Gives us another go-to scorer (25.3 PTS per 36 min) and does it extremely efficiently (.631 TS%)
  • He also gives us another guy that can get to the foul line consistently (5.5 FTA per 36 min) but can actually knock them down at a high clip (89.9%)
  • A huge rebounding upgrade (8.9 REB per 36 min) over Barnes (3.8 REB per 36 min)
  • A huge size/length upgrade (7’0.5” wingspan & 9’0” standing reach) over Barnes (6’11.25” wingspan & 8’5.5” standing reach)
  • A significant shooting, floor spacing upgrade (8.7 3PA per 36 min on 39.9% shooting) over Barnes (5.8 3PA per 36 min on 38.6% shooting)

Defensively, he might be around average so you’re really banking on Fox-Ellis-Murray to make you an above average defensive team combined with Markkanen’s and Sabonis’ ability to end possessions with their defensive rebounding considering they are both above average for their position in that category.
I'm a big Markkanen fan. It essentially means doubling down on this team's offensive potential though as he's probably even a slight downgrade from Barnes defensively. But if you can trade for some defensive pieces then I can see it.

I'm a big Markkanen fan. It essentially means doubling down on this team's offensive potential though as he's probably even a slight downgrade from Barnes defensively. But if you can trade for some defensive pieces then I can see it.
I think Markkanen would be a huge upgrade defensively when considering the players the Kings will be asking him to match up against: Chet, Wemby, Zion/Ingram, KD, PJ Washington, Aaron Gordon, Paul George, etc…He’ll get toasted off the bounce sometimes - but his length/strength makes him a better defender on these types of players than Barnes IMO. Caveat - I’m doing a lot of projecting here and don’t have stats to back up my opinion.

Yeah we should be set offensively with Fox, Monk, Murray, Markkanen, and Sabonis. Every other player in our rotation is ideally a plus defender. Mitchell and Ellis is a good start. We’d need a really good defensive C to backup Sabonis (I’m fine with Len here but if there is a defensive upgrade, great!) and a couple of good defensive bench wings/forwards to sprinkle in.