Draft Day!

Who will the Kings pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In regards to Markkanen and defense….in the absence of high level 2 way guys like Tatum and Jaylen Brown and similar guys, coaches/teams with coaches like Brown want players who won’t hurt you on the offensive end. They want 5 guys who can fill it up more so than 3 guys who can fill it up and 2 defensive guys who hurt you offensively.
I believe Brown feels as though the team as a whole should be able to play good team D while we fill it up on the offensive end. 3 and D guys who can knock it down at a high clip count as filling it up.
I think it’s a reason why Keon was slow to get time, Davion sat for periods as his Omwasnt good enough, Kessler is still working on his offensive game, etc

Back to Markkanen, he Just needs to play good enough team D. Give me a guy who can score and then rely on Brown to get them to defend well enough. Goes for Randle….Id take h8m, goes for Kuzma who can score although somewhat inefficient but on a good team will be better efficiently, Lavine is a walking bucket and he would make this team supercharged on offense but he comes with risks., etc

Count me in on the Markkanen hype train! I haven't seen a shred of evidence to indicate that there is even smoke, but he would fit us really well overall. A huge upgrade for us at the 4 spot and allows Murray to move to the 3 spot. It would also make us a bigger team. Fox is already relatively tall for a PG, Keon is a bit small, but is great defender already, and Murray slotting in the 3 spot would give us defensive flexibility that we didn't have last season. Markkanen is a tough SOB and so is Sabonis, they would enjoy playing with one another.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is Barnes & Duarte & Duarte & 13 for Kuzma a good trade? Like, I feel like we need some 2nds back or something.

IDK, it feels like maybe getting 5% better.
Are we getting double value for Duarte here?

I think it's probably a bit of an overpay personally. I'd offer Barnes, Duarte and Portland's 2nd round pick next year. But I'm also not high on Kuzma and don't think he moves the needle on his own.

Is Barnes & Duarte & Duarte & 13 for Kuzma a good trade? Like, I feel like we need some 2nds back or something.

IDK, it feels like maybe getting 5% better.
With where the Kings are at, it's not terrible. Rather move Huerter though and keep the other big body and slide Keon into the starting SG role at that point. The only issue with Kuz is all the advanced stats show such little impact on winning. Jerami Grant shooting better from 3, having better WS numbers, better half court paint handles seems like such a better fit. But I get it for Monte. Fox, Monk, and Kuz running the break would be insane. Nobody in the league is catching that trio in the open floor. Of course, when Monk and Kuz have an off night, or month at the same time. Get ready for pound town, lol.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, meant it to be Sasha. Fixed.

I only included Sasha to reduce payroll.
I thought you just put Duarte twice. I can't see the Wizards wanting to take on extra salary in this deal without extra compensation and I don't think the Kings are desperate enough to get off Vezenkov's deal to add sweeteners. There's really no benefit to either side of adding Sasha.

Personally if the Kings are going to trade for Kuzma I'd prefer to send out Huerter or Barnes and Davion rather than #13. That's assuming Washington has any interest in Mitchell. Reason being, I don't see the Kings re-signing Davion after next season so I'd rather send him out than a this year's lottery pick, even in a weak draft.

Is Kuzma finally going to come to fruition? I’m not enamored with Kuzma but when the alternative is Harrison Barnes again, I’ll make myself enamored with him.

If we end up keeping the pick, Holland is intriguing and Edey just for the spectacle are now my picks. But I don’t care or know enough about this class to get upset one way or another.

Is Kuzma finally going to come to fruition? I’m not enamored with Kuzma but when the alternative is Harrison Barnes again, I’ll make myself enamored with him.

If we end up keeping the pick, Holland is intriguing and Edey just for the spectacle are now my picks. But I don’t care or know enough about this class to get upset one way or another.
agree, I just don’t want to give up the 13th for him.
My latest thoughts, hope Holland is still there at 13, draft him and then see what we can get for Barnes, and Huerter unless he becomes a bench player. I’m also intrigued by Edey and now to a lesser degree Holmes.

I really want Kuzma. As I said at the last deadline, I think a Fox/Monk/Keeagan/Kuzma/Sabonis starting five will decimate all. It's our time to win. We don't need a rookie that might be something in a few years.
I’m not sure about decimate, but glad I can see the potential benefits of Kuzma more than many here. I even appreciate his fashion sense.
Brown, should be able to mold him into a decent team concept player and bring out a little defensive savvy in him.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If we make a trade, do we find out before or after the pick is announced?
Could go either way. Sometimes teams are certain about a deal so they just announce it, sometimes a deal is contingent on certain player(s) being available at the pick. Sometimes a trade doesn't even come together until after the pick is made. Keeps you on your toes.

"Kyle Kuzma remains a potential target for the Kings". :rolleyes:

That's basically stating, "There is nothing new to report re: the Kings' intentions, but they've been linked to Kuzma before, so there is still potential for the Kings to trade for him."

They were linked to Caruso, but he's no longer available. They've been linked to LaVine, but such an acquisition makes less sense after Monk re-signed. So Kuzma is the easiest name to toss out "credibly". It could come to pass, of course, but I'm not treating these "reports" as any kind of indication of what is going to happen.

I really want Kuzma. As I said at the last deadline, I think a Fox/Monk/Keeagan/Kuzma/Sabonis starting five will decimate all. It's our time to win. We don't need a rookie that might be something in a few years.
I absolutely hate Barnes, and yet I would still prefer him even though he is no longer fleet of foot. Because while Kuz has length, athleticism, and skill, he's an dumb as ****.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looking over final mock draft sites and many still have us taking JaKobe Walter. I don’t think iv’e heard any interest in him on this board. Also, he’s pretty much listed as a guard, which is not really a need.
Seems pundits just throw whatever out there and recycle each other’s stories.
Now watch Monte draft the guy.

So let’s not make a move to actually compete with a win now roster and draft a project. This is how you lose Fox in two years. Monte needs to make a serious move now.
That and the Kings don't have flexibility outside of potential trade assets so unless a 1st round pick who might not even be in the rotation amasses value along with Huerter and Barnes next season looking good. I don't think people realize, as is, the Kings are potentially over the luxury tax and won't have a MLE if they are.

Just looking over final mock draft sites and many still have us taking JaKobe Walter. I don’t think iv’e heard any interest in him on this board. Also, he’s pretty much listed as a guard, which is not really a need.
I feel like every mock draft has the Kings taking a guard. I honestly don't get it. I would kinda get it if we were losing Monk.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I wrote a little about JaKobe Walter in the Prospects folder. I have him ranked 7th overall on my big board so I'd be happy with that result.

Seeing Monte trade the pick again would be a total buzzkill for me. Unless we're getting somebody incredible like an All NBA guy. He is from the Daryl Morey executive training program though so it's not like we weren't warned that he would prefer trading picks for vets than using them.