Draft Day!

Who will the Kings pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Another nice comment from bleacherreport:

1. The Kings were logical candidates to trade the No. 13 pick, but having Devin Carter fall into their laps had to land high up their list of best-case scenarios. They still walk away with a potential opening-night contributor without having to unload any long-term assets.
    Other prospects in this draft might have higher ceilings than Carter, but if stardom isn't in his future, starring within a support role clearly could be. He is your classic do-everything-that-helps-you-win kind of player, which seems like it should be out of reach for a 6'2" combo guard. But his energy, athleticism, instincts and a 6'8" wingspan all allow him to play bigger than his height.
    Based on what he showed across three collegiate campaigns, Carter's ceiling might sit higher than his jack-of-all-trades style would normally indicate. His stat sheet effectively reflected a string of perpetual growth, as every one of those seasons spawned improvements in all of his shooting rates, plus his averages in points, rebounds and assists.
    Don't be shocked if Carter is already pushing for a starting spot next season.
    Grade: A

Who would you have drafted?
not sure. Probably Knect, Ware or da Silva..

Now that being said if this proves to be a trade of some sort for Cam Johnson my opinion changes. But I remember making much of the same comments with the Davion pick.

I watched more than a few Providence games and Carter is a very good player. In my opinion this draft is as bad for him as for us. He replicates many of Keons skill sets without being as good of a shooter and 4” less standing reach. We will need shooting off the bench and he isn’t as good as Huerter. I think his growth will be stunted just like Davion’s growth. Davion is not a bad player, he is a good player put in a bad spot.

The Kings are a significantly undersized team across the front line and will remain so. Pending a trade we will continue to get blown out by the Houston and Pelicans of the world. Right now I have us at best a playin team again. I think if we are a 2025 play-in team with no 2025 pick and no ability to sign free agents we risk losing Fox. That risk just ticked up a 10-15%. Good thing Carter is good because he could well be our starting point guard in 3 years.

you asked so that’s my opinion. It’s not very positive at the moment.

Last edited:
Jay Bilas was raving about D. Carter on SVP Sportscenter. Said he was the player with the best ability to walk in and make an impact Day 1. NBA ready body and intangibles.

Nice to hear a Kings pick not get LOL’d by the media for once. I guess now I can just come to this board to get that ;)
most of the national media never watches a Kings game and has no idea who Keon Ellis is

not sure. Probably Knect, Ware or da Silva..

Now that being said if this proves to be a trade of some sort for Cam Johnson my opinion changes. But I remember making much of the same comments with the Davion pick.

I watched more than a few Providence games and Carter is a very good player. In my opinion this draft is as bad for him as for us. He replicates many of Keons skill sets without being as good of a shooter. We will need shooting off the bench and he isn’t as good as Huerter. I think his growth will be stunted just like Davion’s growth. Davion is not a bad player, he is a good player put in a bad spot.

The Kings are a significantly undersized team across the front line and will remain so. Pending a trade we will continue to get blown out by the Houston and Pelicans of the world. Right now I have us at best a playin team again. I think if we are a 2025 play-in team with no 2025 pick and no ability to sign free agents we risk losing Fox. That risk just ticked up a 10-15%. Good thing Carter is good because he could well be our starting point guard in 3 years.

you asked so that’s my opinion. It’s not very positive at the moment.
Let’s at least wait until the end of the offseason before making any conclusions about the roster.

I love this pick, the only thing that sucks is one of Monk, Carter or Keon will not be in the closing lineup.

at this point you need to move KVon, Davion and probably Sasha.

Fox Elllis
Carter Monk
Keegan Barnes
_______ Lyles
Sabonis Goga

this is my draft night guess on the rotation for next year. I’m sure I’ll chance my mind ten times

The NBA thinking they are the NFL by pushing round 2 to tomorrow is, well, not very self-aware. Adam Silver does lots of puzzling things.
the coverage of the second round has been so awful, anything is an improvement. They tend to stuff all the advertisements in that round and half the time we are at a commercial break when a pick is made. Hopefully they clean that up

I love this pick, the only thing that sucks is one of Monk, Carter or Keon will not be in the closing lineup.

at this point you need to move KVon, Davion and probably Sasha.

Fox Elllis
Carter Monk
Keegan Barnes
_______ Lyles
Sabonis Goga

this is my draft night guess on the rotation for next year. I’m sure I’ll chance my mind ten times
Huerter, yes. But Davion can still have a role. We can throw waves of players at the opponent that are fiercely competitive and tenacious on both ends of the floor.

Also, despite the recent rumors of him not being happy, I’m not sold on ditching Sasha just yet, either. Players that can shoot like he can that also have high BBIQ aren’t always easy to find. Unless including him allows them to acquire a clear cut upgrade on the wing, I’d be inclined to keep him around for now.

the coverage of the second round has been so awful, anything is an improvement. They tend to stuff all the advertisements in that round and half the time we are at a commercial break when a pick is made. Hopefully they clean that up
Agreed about that. I just don’t see round 2 as compelling enough to warrant it’s own time on the main stage. Just get it over with already. But, yes, improve the coverage when you do.

I mean, if round 2 isn’t important enough to cover w/o ads/interruptions — why does it need it’s own time slot?

Just silly, IMO. I can’t imagine the ratings will be all that good.

Huerter, yes. But Davion can still have a role. We can throw waves of players at the opponent that are fiercely competitive and tenacious on both ends of the floor.

Also, despite the recent rumors of him not being happy, I’m not sold on ditching Sasha just yet, either. Players that can shoot like he can that also have high BBIQ aren’t always easy to find. Unless including him allows them to acquire a clear cut upgrade on the wing, I’d be inclined to keep him around for now.
im a big fan of Davion and am more than happy to keep him around I just don’t think he will be able to find minutes. Imo he will be behind Fox, Monk, Carter and Ellis. And we still have Colby to develop.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Agreed about that. I just don’t see round 2 as compelling enough to warrant it’s own time on the main stage. Just get it over with already. But, yes, improve the coverage when you do.

I mean, if round 2 isn’t important enough to cover w/o ads/interruptions — why does it need it’s own time slot?

Just silly, IMO. I can’t imagine the ratings will be all that good.
I predict fewer than 21 pages in the second round draft thread.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I thought the whole "he's a good cutter" thing was pretty funny over the last week or two but he's actually in the best place possible if his only offensive skill is cutting.
He's also got a mid-range fadeaway that he almost likes taking. I like the fit for Dunn in Phoenix -- he'll get minutes there -- and I especially hate that the three defensive studs I wanted the most near the end of the first round (Dunn, Missi, and Holmes) all ended up on our Western conference rivals.

if the Kings had traded this package for Deni and then it turned out Carter and Knecht were available at 13, I, pretty sure the Kings internet would have exploded lol
Avdija is still a young developing player, but I don’t see the huge attraction. And for that package of assets? No thanks. That’s desperately insane.

If the KINGS really want a player like Avdija, they can draft one for a lot less cost. Hell, they probably could have drafted one tonight, but passed for Carter instead.

im a big fan of Davion and am more than happy to keep him around I just don’t think he will be able to find minutes. Imo he will be behind Fox, Monk, Carter and Ellis. And we still have Colby to develop.
Good point about Colby. I wasn’t even thinking about him.

I can just see a scenario where Brown rotates Carter, Ellis, and Davion throughout the game to keep them fresh on defense. Almost like changing hockey lines. Swipa and Monk will get the majority of minutes, with those 3 filling out the rest based upon their impact from game to game.

Avdija is still a young developing player, but I don’t see the huge attraction. And for that package of assets? No thanks. That’s desperately insane.

If the KINGS really want a player like Avdija, they can draft one for a lot less cost. Hell, they probably could have drafted one tonight, but passed for Carter instead.
Wings known for defense would be a lot more interesting to me. I don't necessarily need another guy taking shots away from Keegan at that position unless he's elite

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Topic to OKC is terrible they just failed the Giddy experiment with SGA and while I think Topic is better at everything other than rebounding than Giddy it's a terrible fit.
They’re apparently going to stash him this season but yeah from a pure team building standpoint I don’t understand the pick at all (but I’m glad they took him instead of Carter, who very much felt like an OKC guy)