Does Bagley remind you of Siakam?

If Siakam is a warrior killer I love him. I'm personally tired of that team even though it will be a sad day when some of their players retire.
I just made the mistake of looking where Siakam was drafted in 2016. Will just say, hope we have since improved our scouting department.

Siakam is a f'n awesome player. Doesn't have any weaknesses aside from outside shooting(which he is improved at). A complete basketball player.

More direct to the OPs question, Siakim is a SF playing the 4 and Bagley is a C playing the 4. Their strengths and skill sets, especially early in their careers, are going to be different. They're are not the same type of player and won't have the same role.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, looks like Siakam came back to earth a bit. Not surprising...let's see how he does in Oracle.

Last edited:
If Siakam is a warrior killer I love him. I'm personally tired of that team even though it will be a sad day when some of their players retire.
I just made the mistake of looking where Siakam was drafted in 2016. Will just say, hope we have since improved our scouting department.
Don't blame the scouting department. Siakam was a 22 yr. old big man that was athletic, but had almost no skills. I have seen a lot of players with similar credentials that were out of the league in 2 years.

Don't blame the scouting department. Siakam was a 22 yr. old big man that was athletic, but had almost no skills. I have seen a lot of players with similar credentials that were out of the league in 2 years.
I know, there's also plenty of guys like Draymond Green who are overlooked till the 2nd. It's just an observation about how that draft played out and IMO it was not a shining moment in Kings draft history. Granted not a strong draft later in the first round, outside of trading the 8th for Bogdan the other three 1st rounders were poor choices.

Last edited:
I know, there's also plenty of guys like Draymond Green who are overlooked till the 2nd. It's just an observation about how that draft played out and IMO it was not a shining moment in Kings draft history. Granted not a strong draft later in the first round, outside of trading the 8th for Bogdan the other three 1st rounders were poor choices.
Looking at the NBA draft in hindsight can be maddening. in 2011 when the Spurs picked Kawhi 15th the Kings took Jimmer with pick 10:eek:

Adam Fromal who wrote that piece should have to print it out and eat those word:)

I quote:
Kawhi Leonard, Small Forward, San Diego State Aztecs
With huge hands, athleticism and versatility, Kawhi Leonard made an impressive climb up draft boards after the NBA draft combine. If he falls past Washington at No. 6, which is a big if, there is no way he'll be skipped by the Kings as well.
Leonard is a do-everything forward from San Diego State who will have to improve his shooting to be anything other than a role player in the NBA. His legitimate inclusion in the top 10 is a true testament to just how weak this draft class is, though.

I would say more Kudos to the Raptors developmental department for making Siakam into a player. They did so with Van Fleet as well.

Siakam is overrated. High motor, fits, and produces in the Raps lineup. But strip away the current hype and he's extremely limited. Below average handles and shot. Excelling as a third option on the Raps, but not a star.

Siakam is overrated. High motor, fits, and produces in the Raps lineup. But strip away the current hype and he's extremely limited. Below average handles and shot. Excelling as a third option on the Raps, but not a star.
I disagree with almost all of this. Below average handles? For a power forward? He is one of the best ball handling power forwards in the league. He's also shot 37% from deep this year and has elite lateral quickness for a power forward. Look at how well he defended GIannis? About the only thing he doesn't do at an above average rate is rebound and block shots.

He would produce in any lineup because he can fit next to any center and doesn't need a point guard to set him up for all his points. He defends the perimeter, spreads the floor, scores inside, can dribble past guys and has one of the quickest spin moves in the game for a big man. Obviously he's not a "give him the ball and let him win the game" type of player but he would be nearly a perfect fit for any roster in the NBA and would be the 2nd or 3rd best player on most teams. I don't think anyone is hyping him up as the next Kawhi, Durant or Curry. He's just a great player who is improving leaps and bounds.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't say he is overrated. The dude burst onto the NBA scene this season for the first time and not many fans knew of his existence prior. That said, I don't think he's this star player that he's touted by some but he is definitely an all-star caliber player if he can string together multiple seasons like he has this season.

Looking at the NBA draft in hindsight can be maddening. in 2011 when the Spurs picked Kawhi 15th the Kings took Jimmer with pick 10:eek:
I might write a thesis on teams such as the Spurs, Jazz, and Warriors. Is it good scouting,? or luck that they often pick late but still strike gold.

I disagree with almost all of this. Below average handles? For a power forward? He is one of the best ball handling power forwards in the league. He's also shot 37% from deep this year and has elite lateral quickness for a power forward. Look at how well he defended GIannis? About the only thing he doesn't do at an above average rate is rebound and block shots.

He would produce in any lineup because he can fit next to any center and doesn't need a point guard to set him up for all his points. He defends the perimeter, spreads the floor, scores inside, can dribble past guys and has one of the quickest spin moves in the game for a big man. Obviously he's not a "give him the ball and let him win the game" type of player but he would be nearly a perfect fit for any roster in the NBA and would be the 2nd or 3rd best player on most teams. I don't think anyone is hyping him up as the next Kawhi, Durant or Curry. He's just a great player who is improving leaps and bounds.
It's like people are just purposefully ignoring facts at this point.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Can’t believe what I’m reading in this thread. While Siakam is a damn good player, Bagley, who is 5 years younger, has close to Siakam’s numbers in his breakout year. Is Siakam better than Bagley right now? Maybe but he’s completely benefitting from being surrounded by a veteran team that has a chance to be champs. Bagley surrounded by a young up and coming team doesn’t have the same luxury. Give GM’s a choice of Siakam or Bagley, and a majority of them are going to take Bagley.

This is an awful take. Bad handles? Aside from Draymond Green I struggle to name another 4 with better ball handling than Siakam. Dude is at his best when he grabs and goes. His two way ability makes him that much more valuable.

Can’t believe what I’m reading in this thread. While Siakam is a damn good player, Bagley, who is 5 years younger, has close to Siakam’s numbers in his breakout year. Is Siakam better than Bagley right now? Maybe but he’s completely benefitting from being surrounded by a veteran team that has a chance to be champs. Bagley surrounded by a young up and coming team doesn’t have the same luxury. Give GM’s a choice of Siakam or Bagley, and a majority of them are going to take Bagley.
Kingsfans.com, where you have to trash on a fantastic player to convince yourself that our stud is better. BTW I'm not saying Bagley won't be better, but he has a ways to go to be the kind of impact player Siakam is right now. To act like it's blasphemy towards Bagley to compare him to Siakam(who is a top 20 player right now) is absurd. I would be super satisfied if Bagley is a top 20 type player in 4-5 years.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Kingsfans.com, where you have to trash on a fantastic player to convince yourself that our stud is better. BTW I'm not saying Bagley won't be better, but he has a ways to go to be the kind of impact player Siakam is right now. To act like it's blasphemy towards Bagley to compare him to Siakam(who is a top 20 player right now) is absurd. I would be super satisfied if Bagley is a top 20 type player in 4-5 years.
in no universe is Siakam a top 20 player right now

He's is or is close when you take into account two way ability.
Top 20 for his position sure, top 20 in the league? You must be watching something else or really like to embellish. I can list the top of my head 20 who is clearly better let alone players that are arguably same or same tier as him. Clearly better: Greek Freak, Steph, Durant, Kawhi, Jokic, Harden, George, Westbrook, James, Embiid, Butler, Oladipo, KAT, Gorbert, Lilliard, Davis, Russell, Simmons, Derozan, Walker. That's not even including up and coming guys like Doncic and Donovan Mitchell

Top 20 for his position sure, top 20 in the league? You must be watching something else or really like to embellish. I can list the top of my head 20 who is clearly better let alone players that are arguably same or same tier as him. Clearly better: Greek Freak, Steph, Durant, Kawhi, Jokic, Harden, George, Westbrook, James, Embiid, Butler, Oladipo, KAT, Gorbert, Lilliard, Davis, Russell, Simmons, Derozan, Walker. That's not even including up and coming guys like Doncic and Donovan Mitchell
I'd rather have Siakam than Simmons, DeRozan(Masai Ujiri thought that too), Walker(although Walker had a great season), even Russel would be a close call. Point is FOR ME he is well within that group for his overall value on both ends and the fact that he can fit with just about any other pieces around him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Come on. Virtually every sports message board on the interwebs has people who think they need to tear down players who aren't theirs to make room to build up those who do wear the home jerseys. It is by no means unique to KF.

I'd rather have Siakam than Simmons, DeRozan(Masai Ujiri thought that too), Walker(although Walker had a great season), even Russel would be a close call. Point is FOR ME he is well within that group for his overall value on both ends and the fact that he can fit with just about any other pieces around him.
Err no, Ujiri wanted Leonard more than DeRozan. Spurs aren't trading Leonard for Pascal Siakam.

I think he's showing he's a good player, maybe top 10-15 at his position, but top 20 overall?? No way.