DMC issued statement

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Did he or did he not demand a trade?

Signs point to Cousins never demanding a trade. Westy now can't, or won't confirm whether he did demand a trade. These are not the actions of an agent representing a player who did in fact demand a trade.

If Cousins didn't demand a trade, then it's the FO and Westy who blew this completely out of proportion. IMO, this will cause an even greater division in the locker room starting tomorrow. Either the teammates know Cousins did demand a trade, twice, which not one of them has said he did, or they'll realize Westy is lying, and threw Cousins under the bus publicly.

Seems to me, and it's just my gut feeling after reading everything on this, that Petrie and the Maloofs realize Westy is not the man for the job, but they're a combination of too cheap, and too egotistical to admit it and make a change.

This will get worse. Far worse, until a change is made. Cousins now has his agent in his ear basically agreeing/validating his side, which will only lead to Cousins being more vocal against Westy. There's also reports other players are not at all happy with Westy and his offense, and that is probably why Cousins asked for the meeting with Westy in his office in the first place.

If you're a player on this team, and are frustrated with the coach/system the same way Cousins is, and Cousins behind closed doors requested a meeting with Westy, and this is how it was handled, with a very public one game suspension and throwing under the bus, who's side will you take?

Already have Reke and Thorton admitting they blew off the offense to play their game yesterday.

If Westy sent him home for demanding a trade, twice, and those demands were never made in the first place, the players will know, whether they say it publicly or not. This is simply horrible. Our organization is a mess, from top to bottom, and I've said for awhile now. Only person I'm unsure about is Petrie, and how much his hands are tied.

This also ties into free agency. A large amount of fans simply say we're a small town, so we can't blame our FO for signing any quality FA's. Well, I see an organization loaded with problems, which scares potential FA's from signing here. Our FO and ownership need to take responsibility for that. It's our culture more than the size/location of the city which it deterring FA's from coming here, imo.
It's been reported that several players heard Cousins shouting to Westphal he wanted to be traded. Even in today's world that constitutes demanding a trade. Maybe Cousins "didn't mean it", but that's beside the point.

The name of the source is nowhere near as important as what was said IMHO. As I mentioned above, this isn't Cousins' first dance as far as bad behavior is concerned. Is it really that much of a stretch to believe it has continued? Really?

Watching the game Sunday I didn't see any signs of discontent between the players on the bench, something that's pretty hard to hide if there's all kinds of stuff going on behind the scenes.
True; i was more thinking along the lines of i wonder how deep routed any factions that may have opened up, actually are.

once you get 2 groups fighting each other, the team is basically prone to failure.

Thats why i brought it up really, wondering if this was a lone wolf or not.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Bravo!

I like Boogie and know there's an excellent ballplayer in there somewhere. But there's also a petulant child...and this isn't his first problem. He needs to grow up, something that's been said of him for quite a while, even going back to pre-draft assessments.

I'm a little disappointed that Kings fans are so hungry for a decent player that they'll seemingly ignore all the character flaws inherent in said player.

gunks - Yes, I agree some of the stuff has been childish but you can't leave Cousins out of the list.
I've ceased being dissapointed. My cynicism keeps growing though....:D

gunks

Hall of Famer
Bravo!

I like Boogie and know there's an excellent ballplayer in there somewhere. But there's also a petulant child...and this isn't his first problem. He needs to grow up, something that's been said of him for quite a while, even going back to pre-draft assessments.

I'm a little disappointed that Kings fans are so hungry for a decent player that they'll seemingly ignore all the character flaws inherent in said player.

gunks - Yes, I agree some of the stuff has been childish but you can't leave Cousins out of the list.
Oh no doubt. Cousins is the most childish of all. Total punk. But so was I at 21, and I feel like a lot of guys can say the same. My issue with this situation is that we have a coach who is 50(ish?) acting like just as much of a punk, with FO backing him (probably just to save face, I think Worstphal did this independantly).

Bravo!

Seriously, it's gotten completely out of hand.

Bravo!

All Cousins little hissy fit did was take the focus off of one of the main problems at hand-PW's poor coaching. Sure it may have validated what many people already thought about how he is losing the team, but now the chances of PW being fired are slim. It would just make DMC look as though he got his way and that the players are running things. If he would have just kept his mouth shut, things would have probably played themselves out and PW would have eventually been shown the door. Not to mention you already had some discourse brewing amongst other players in regards to PW's coaching philosophy. I am def not a PW fan and I hope he is let go, but DMC has a lot of growing up to do as well.

Bravo!

What I see is fans want a man vs a child...not a child vs a child. We know who the child is (I don't think anyone is denying that fact)...where's the man?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
eh from what I heard from Amick and Adrian Wojnrowski(might've spelled that wrong) a lot of people have a problem with Cousins in the Kings lockerroom and FO but a lot of them have been scared to say anything because he's a bully. I used to be a big fan of Cousins but right now I am very dissapointed in him and I would not be sad to see him go. I don't care whether we keep Westphal or not, but if Cousins was repeatedly being a big jerk and being confrontational and undermining things I think Westphal had a right to do what he did. If DMC can get on board and become a better person from this whole thing, maybe the situation is salvageable. But I don't know, and I wouldn't be sad to see him go if we got a decent vet big who could help the team win now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...wu8vLYF?slug=ys-demarcus_cousins_kings_010112
Which is completely shortsighted insanity.

You are literally talking about intentionally making that mistake that everyvody still talks about wistfully 20 years later in a "what if" fashion. As in "what if we hadn't been short sighted idiots".

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Out of interest, and assuming we don't think the yahoo article is basically made up, who do we think is the "player source" that would leak info about cousins constant "bad behaviour."

You're always going to get factions in situations like this but i don't see any characters who would drop him like that.
I think everybody needs to reread that article a little more carefully. And also consider Woj's involvement since he is an utter expert at these things.

Now maybe I have an advantage having done a lot of writing in my time, but NOWHERE does it say it was a "player source" for the Woj article. Oh it implies the hell out of it. But it never says it. Adn about half the time when you see that that's an intentional perception set up by the writer. Talk about something in the locker room, include a quote by a "source" and everyone automatically thinks its a player. It could be a trainer. It could be a janitor. But just by implication you are able to bolster your article without ever actually truly lying.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Don't know where to post this but I sure don't want to start another thread. This is from the Bee today.

The Kings maintain that DeMarcus Cousins demanded to be traded. Cousins maintains that didn't happen.

Neither side is budging on its claim following a meeting Monday involving Cousins, his agent, John Greig, and Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie.

After the meeting, Petrie decided Cousins would join the Kings on their flight for tonight's game against Memphis. Cousins was sent home by coach Paul Westphal before Sunday's game against New Orleans. Westphal said that during a meeting after Saturday's loss to New York, Cousins asked to be traded, a demand the coach said the center also made Dec. 24. (So he wanted to be traded before the first game without Salmons and Hayes having any significant time with the team? I don't know what this means.) Westphal added that there had been multiple issues with Cousins that had not been publicized.

Westphal said Cousins was told if there were more incidents there would be "less protection" from the team in not disclosing them.

Cousins issued a statement Monday: "I want to address my missing the New Orleans game Sunday. I have not demanded or requested a trade. I don't agree with the actions taken but will give my sincere effort to put it behind me and compete the best I can for my team."

Cousins will dress for tonight's game but will not start, Westphal said."We still hope DeMarcus will be here to continue to mature and progress and reach his potential with the Kings," Westphal said.

Asked what he needed to see from Cousins to know if he is changing his ways, Westphal said: "We'll know it when we see it … . His attitude has a long way to go. It will be up to coaches, teammates and most fans (to see a change)." (What?)

When he met with Cousins on Monday, Westphal said the center "was a little quiet and not too communicative," which he said is something he has seen from Cousins before. (Was this another of those private meetings?)

Petrie said Sunday the team does not plan to trade Cousins. Petrie said his talk with Cousins covered what he needs to improve on as a player, his role in the offense and the level of commitment needs to reach his potential."

He wanted to rejoin the team and his teammates," Petrie said. "I can't say we agreed on everything, but it was an honest and frank discussion." (I also saw a comment elsewhere where Petrie said some thing like "we didn't agree on everything but that's OK.) - I suspect and cannot prove that this is a difference between Petrie and Westphal. Westphal demands 100% agreement or feels the need to punish. Maybe I've over-stated but I kinda doubt it.

Etc.​

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/01/03/4158793/demarcus-cousins-returns.html

Not sure where the writer is going. He details Cousins' past troubles and omits Westphal's past troubles. Both are pertinent to this story.

There are a few new twists here. Westphal says he will not protect Cousins and will make more of his behavior public. I personally think this has nailed the coffin shut on this relationship. Punishment without praise breeds even more discontent. Beat a petualnt child and what do you get? A more petulant child.

I don't expect Westphal to be a psychiatrist but I DO hope he has raised children. This is more like raising a child than being a coach where everyone is treated equally. (Cough!) Cousins is not normal and will need a different approach - a more fatherly approach. A good father. A Vlade-like approach. I wouldn't turn a team upside down for just any player but this guy can be something special and is bordering on that right now. I even doubt that the players would object if he got a little special treatment. It would take an idiot to think this is simply a spoiled star wanting special treament. He is a potential star who NEEDS special treatment. This is where a few will disagree, I am sure.

And what do the fans have to do with any of this? Westphal introduced the fans into the equation. I think that is very interesting. If this comment had come from the Maloofs or Petrie, I would have seen it as a sign that Westphal was going to be fired. This comment came from Westphal and I hope it means he is actually reading fans' opinions. Do we actually have a say in Cousins' future? It's a sign of maturity on his part.

All we see is what is on the court. Everything else in my mind is viewed as something to be taken with a grain of salt. We can SEE what Cousins does on the court. It is not filtered through the papers or agents. I have seen no behavioral problems this year on the court and if making a sour face is a problem, Jordan and Kobe should have been benched their entire careers. Otherwise I have been pleased with his on court behavior. If we have input, our input is clear.

Cuz has always responded to punishment by having a decent game. It will be interesting to see if there is a change in this pattern. In any case, I don't see how anything has been resolved.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think everybody needs to reread that article a little more carefully. And also consider Woj's involvement since he is an utter expert at these things.

Now maybe I have an advantage having done a lot of writing in my time, but NOWHERE does it say it was a "player source" for the Woj article. Oh it implies the hell out of it. But it never says it. Adn about half the time when you see that that's an intentional perception set up by the writer. Talk about something in the locker room, include a quote by a "source" and everyone automatically thinks its a player. It could be a trainer. It could be a janitor. But just by implication you are able to bolster your article without ever actually truly lying.
I totally agree BUT there is also the time when the statement does come from a player who for obvious reasons cannot be identified without great risk to his career. If this was the first strike for DMC, I'd be much less skeptical, you know?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I totally agree BUT there is also the time when the statement does come from a player who for obvious reasons cannot be identified without great risk to his career. If this was the first strike for DMC, I'd be much less skeptical, you know?
I hope you have read Section 101's find of past articles on Westphal. This is not the first strike for Westphal either.

Affixing blame will not solve this problem. We are dealing with two immature men. TWO!

After the meeting, Petrie decided Cousins would join the Kings on their flight for tonight's game against Memphis. Cousins was sent home by coach Paul Westphal before Sunday's game against New Orleans. Westphal said that during a meeting after Saturday's loss to New York, Cousins asked to be traded, a demand the coach said the center also made Dec. 24. (So he wanted to be traded before the first game without Salmons and Hayes having any significant time with the team? I don't know what this means.) Westphal added that there had been multiple issues with Cousins that had not been publicized.

Westphal said Cousins was told if there were more incidents there would be "less protection" from the team in not disclosing them.

Great find, this probably deserves its own thread. If Cousins regularly yells at people to just trade him if they're not happy with him, that's a little different from a one time outburst. It's also somewhat telling that the team came out and played a ton better without Cousins- maybe they were happy to play one distraction-free game too.

This whole thing is shaping up to be a major disaster, and I get the feeling its gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.

Great find, this probably deserves its own thread. If Cousins regularly yells at people to just trade him if they're not happy with him, that's a little different from a one time outburst. It's also somewhat telling that the team came out and played a ton better without Cousins- maybe they were happy to play one distraction-free game too.

This whole thing is shaping up to be a major disaster, and I get the feeling its gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.
That's reaching in my opinion. They played well against the Lakers with Cousins.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
That's reaching in my opinion. They played well against the Lakers with Cousins.
If you want the ultimate reach, I'll hand it to you:
Kings record post-2010 draft, with Cousins: 24-61
Kings record post-2010 draft, without Cousins: 2-0

Hey, I said it was the ultimate reach.

Which is completely shortsighted insanity.

YOu are literally talking about intentionally amking that mistake that everyvody still talks about wistfully 20 years later in a "waht if" fashion. As in "what if we hadn;t been short sighted idiots".
lol so because I don't like people who bully others and have emotional problems that can destroy a team/family I'm an idiot? I thought you were supposed to be a mod and not engage in personal attacks. To be honest iif Demarcus were to continue to get away with this **** I would probably be a lot less of a Kings fan because I've had to deal with people like him in my family and it can ruin your life. I don't like people like that.

Bricklayer

lol so because I don't like people who bully others and have emotional problems that can destroy a team/family I'm an idiot? I thought you were supposed to be a mod and not engage in personal attacks. To be honest iif Demarcus were to continue to get away with this **** I would probably be a lot less of a Kings fan because I've had to deal with people like him in my family and it can ruin your life. I don't like people like that.
That's very unfortunate for you, but personal history is no way to run any organization. This organization is dedicated to winning basketball games. Players capable of eventually winning as many basketball games as Cousins might fall in your lap once every decade, and only then if you are in the habit of being quite bad for long stretches of each decade. You get very few opportunities at that level, and some significant percentage of the Kings fanbase could very have passed away before you will get another one. So you can't blow it. Certaintly not for personal reasons.

And you will note I did not call you an idiot. I called the idea of supporting trading Cousins idiotic, or to be more precise, the sort of thing that everybody would kick themselves for being an idiot about for years to come.

Last edited:
That's very unfortunate for you, but personal history is no way to run any organization. This organization is dedicated to winning basketball games. Players capable of eventually winning as many basketball games as Cousins might fall in your lap once every decade, and only then if you are in the habit of being quite bad for long stretches of each decade. You get very few opportunities at that level, and some significant percentage of the Kings fanbase could very have passed away before you will get another one. So you can't blow it. Certaintly not for personal reasons.

And you will note I did not call you an idiot. I called the idea of supporting trading Cousins idiotic, or to be more precise, the sort of thing that everybody would kick themselves for being an idiot about for years to come.
yea I know personal experience isn't the way to run an organization. but for me personally if he keeps doing this stuff I wouldn't be too upset to see him leave. he's an idiot too because now they can't fire PW because it will look like they gave in to DMC.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
yea I know personal experience isn't the way to run an organization. but for me personally if he keeps doing this stuff I wouldn't be too upset to see him leave. he's an idiot too because now they can't fire PW because it will look like they gave in to DMC.
Westphal has fired himself by his behavior and poor coaching. People wanted him fired before this blowup. Pople wanted him fired last year. I would hate to think that we can no longer act on rational knowledge of poor coaching simply because it looks like we are giving in to Cuz.

This is by far the WORST post in kingsfans.com's history. Wow.

This is by far the WORST post in kingsfans.com's history. Wow.

I'm going to have to agree. Why would you base a business/game strategy off a personal feeling?

Like for example:

I hate Bynum. I think he's a POS. Didn't stop me from picking him up in Fantasy Basketball because I needed a C who would most likely have impact, and I'll be damned if I lose my pool because I wouldn't pick up a guy for my team because I don't like him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Maybe you need better parenting skills.. You and Westphal can both go to class together..:D

Context of this incident after the Knicks game might shed a little different light. According to Marty MacNeal's blog, Cousins agent said it went like this:

The situation that led to Cousins missing Sunday evening's victory over New Orleans began after Saturday night's loss to the New York Knicks. The agent said Westphal called Cousins 'selfish' and said he was the team's problem.

Cousins later went into the coach's office, Greig said, and asked Westphal why he singled him out.

Greig said Westphal told Cousins, "I don't have time to talk to you about this."

Ok this sounds a bit different. I'm sure his agent would not lie about the coach singling out DMC after the loss. Which is easy enough to verify with other players present. I saw that game and am completely dumbfounded how PW was able to single Cousins out. So PW is as much at fault for this incident IMO. Cousins should let it roll off his back. But PW should not be handling his frustration over a loss where most every player and the coaching staff should be pointing fingers at themselves. More evidence that PW is out of his element as a head coach.

Maybe you need better parenting skills.. You and Westphal can both go to class together..:D
parenting??? I'm 20 years old and my grandmother has cancer... no kids. I swear to god people on here are just... I don't even know. If you have any criticism for a select few players people come out to rip you in full force. I'm dealing with a lot more **** than most of you right now and I have been just as much of a fan of this team as anyone else on here, posting for the last 5 years when this team doesn't go to the playoffs and even when we didn't even have any young players. I can handle losing, this team does a lot of it. But if the article is true and Cousins does this type of stuff on the regular(especially things like getting in a fist fight with Donte last year) and he's bullying people in the org, and it doesn't clear up, I would probably not be nearly as much of a fan of this team as I am now. I love the sport of basketball but at the end of the day it's about guys bouncing a ball up and down a court and trying to shoot it into a basket, it's not friggin life or death and just because DMC is physically talented at it doesn't give him an excuse to treat people badly. If he thinks it does then that gives me a reason not to be a fan of his.

btw I'm in no way a fan of PW, IMO he should probably be fired. I don't know who to believe in the Cousins/PW spat. But if the article is true I lost a hell of a lot of respect for Cousins and am very dissapointed in him. The Kings were here before him and they'll be here after him, well maybe not in Sacramento but they will exist as an organization. If PW did single out Cousins to the media before the game and wouldn't explain why after that and Cousins really did just say "well if you think I'm so bad then trade me" I don't really blame him. But if he is getting away with bullying people and making everyone else miserable, then I don't really care if he stays. If you all want you can have a different opinion but that is my opinion.