DMC issued statement

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Don't see how the issue here is Cousins getting along with teammates.

If you're working in an office, ask for a private meeting with your boss, and he comes out and throws you under the bus in front of everyone, how is it your responsibility to fix things with your colleagues? Don't see how it's even related. In most offices, your colleagues would side with you, and start hoping for a new boss, especially if they've also started voicing the same complaints that same week. This isn't Cousins doing something to his teammates, and everyone not agreeing with coaches reaction.

These are very good points right here, but I think that Westphal had some basic intentions in doing what he did. He's trying to tell Cousins to basically grow up and quite being a douche. It's just too bad it's coming from a person who is on the verge of losing his entire team after having nearly done the same the year before.

I don't know if this was handled properly at all, and probably not, but I think there was a point here and it just wasn't to throw dirt on Cousins and the franchise.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Cousins has pride.....You dont get him to turn a new leaf by publically humiliating him. Childish move by the FO and West****.

Yeah, Evans said that him and Thornton got together and basically said they have to work harder, because it's not a good offense, but when they do it right it works. Something along those lines. It's funny that Evans can pretty much get away with whatever he says in the media...

Yeah, Evans said that him and Thornton got together and basically said they have to work harder, because it's not a good offense, but when they do it right it works. Something along those lines. It's funny that Evans can pretty much get away with whatever he says in the media...
I could be wrong in that I'm pretty sure he didn't say THAT. Maybe hinted.. I dunno, but he did say He and Marcus had a long talk that night and that they needed to work better together. What I got from it was share the ball, pass, distribute, etc.

I take it Cuz is through with apologizing every time he is held responsible for being half the problem (His perception and also it may be true.) This is not good and now I wish he had stayed home on this road trip. This could get volatile. I wish he had been suspended so the Players Union could step in and fight for him. This remains too personal to have a happy ending. I think this means Cuz really can't stand being a player under Westphal and is willing to take whatever risk this kind of note represents.

Will the team throw the fans under the bus and lose the best player to come alog in a VERY long time? I have very little faith in the Maloofs after last summer.

BTW, I know that this was not a proper use of the term "throw under the bus" but I DO feel like we may end up the losers. It's not so easy being a fan of this team and they just might make it a whole lot worse.

I think you're worrying yourself over nothing. If there's one thing I do have faith in the Maloofs for, it's their interest in their own best interest. I don't think they're ignorant enough to think that shipping one of their best young prospects out over what basically amount to nothing more than glorified spats is in their best interest.

I posted it before but here it is again;

"Me and (Thornton) had a long talk in the locker room yesterday," Evans said. "We just said ... we got to find a way. A lot of people complain about the offense, it's not the greatest offense, but it works when we run it. So we just got to keep playing hard like that. We got tough road games coming up and we got to go out there and play hard."

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/sports/kings/archives/2012/01/evans-thornton.html#storylink=cpy

I posted it before but here it is again;

"Me and (Thornton) had a long talk in the locker room yesterday," Evans said. "We just said ... we got to find a way. A lot of people complain about the offense, it's not the greatest offense, but it works when we run it. So we just got to keep playing hard like that. We got tough road games coming up and we got to go out there and play hard."

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/sports/kings/archives/2012/01/evans-thornton.html#storylink=cpy
Sounds like it works when they run it apparently.

I could be wrong in that I'm pretty sure he didn't say THAT. Maybe hinted.. I dunno, but he did say He and Marcus had a long talk that night and that they needed to work better together. What I got from it was share the ball, pass, distribute, etc.
Not a good offense, not the greatest offense, same thing :p

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yeha, well Westphal ain't that dumb. He knows he can't take on the whole team, and Tyreke has been...less confrontational about it, because that's nto his personality.

As for Cousins, now sure why people are having sucha hard time reaading the tea leaves. Its seems fairly clear that:

1) Cousins and Westphal have clashed
2) that Cousins is immature
3) that Westphal singled him out for his play (unwise)
4) that Cousins responded with an agnry outburst along the lines of "if you think I'm such a cancer then trade me!". Which is very angry teenager of him. Normally that is followed by something like "I hate you! I hate you!" by his emotional peers.
5) that Westphal then did something a littel slimy parent teaching the kid a lesson and intentionally distorted things, using Demarcus's words against him even though he knew it wasn't the intent.
6) the Westphal quote "well DeMarcus says he wants to be traded" was just classic fed up parent calling the kid's bluff stuff
7) the team let the statement put out come out under Westphal's name, not their own, so they could have the flexibility of disclaiming it to DeMarcus
8) Westphal's further statements about beig fed up support all fo the above, and might even be him preparing a way for him to resign/storm off shaking his head in disgust etc. rather than being fired

Now if Evans and Thornton can just have this conversation with Cousins it might help more than anything else.
I'm not sure Cousins thinks it works when they run it. I'm not sure I think it works that well.

Here's my question: How many times do the Kings get good or easy buckets out of the offense? How much does the scorer have to work to get their bucket? How many easy looks does the offense create? Even last night?

The offense involves a lot of work being done by the scorer to get the looks they get. Cousins doesn't get many easy looks. He normally has to fight through two or three defenders. So does Tyreke. Is that really a good offense?

I'm not sure Cousins thinks it works when they run it. I'm not sure I think it works that well.

Here's my question: How many times do the Kings get good or easy buckets out of the offense? How much does the scorer have to work to get their bucket? How many easy looks does the offense create? Even last night?

The offense involves a lot of work being done by the scorer to get the looks they get. Cousins doesn't get many easy looks. He normally has to fight through two or three defenders. So does Tyreke. Is that really a good offense?
That's where the pass more **** comes in. Pass the damn ball. - PW smiley face

thats bs. If he's on the plane he should be starting. We need to move on from this together and not drag it out which is what PW is doing

Yeah I think WE are all ready for the axe but now we/they have to go through the motions. It still seems like Big Bully will be rumbling around if that happens though. We need TWO more Chuck Hayes' I think.

Would it be ok if Cuz came in for starter JJ or JT after first 4 mins and then played around 40 mins total assuming he didn't foul out - then started following game, a back-to-back at Denver?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
thats bs. If he's on the plane he should be starting. We need to move on from this together and not drag it out which is what PW is doing
He must not have apologized well enough. Why ask for an apology and then act like you are not accepting it? He's just publicly rubbing Cousins' nose in it. Now PW has made it easy for the FO to fire him for shear stupidity.

I know he still has one more year on his contract, but there is no way in hell he re-signs or extends his rookie contract with the Kings if PW is still the coach... Just sayin...

I know he still has one more year on his contract, but there is no way in hell he re-signs or extends his rookie contract with the Kings if PW is still the coach... Just sayin...
I thought this is his last year. Don't play with my emotions! :)

Nevermind: thought you were talking about PW having one more year.

Last edited:
Cousins is a team option in 2014. He isn't a restricted FA until 2015. No way in Hades will Paul Westphal be the coach then. Not unless the team suddenly starts playing playoff caliber ball and all wounds magically heal.

I don't think DMC has to worry about Westphal still being here when his contract is up.

Plenty of strong points on this issue here. Who knows how and when this will end. But one thing I do like is that DeMarcus has rejoined his teammates and will suit up, although will not start against the Grizz and is sure to log a lot of minutes. We really need our big guy out on the floor especially after seeing New Orleans dominate their offense boards coming away with second and third chances. I don't know if I could do it and I don't know if he can do it but I hope he can put everything aside and just play ball.

Obvious solution guys. FIRE Westphal and Promote Cousins to Head Coach.

What would happen? No wins? Many wins? DMC Coach of the year/MVP/All Star MVP?