• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
And with the first pick of the second round my next selection is:

Marvin Gaye-What's going on- 1971

Marvin_Albumcover.jpg

From Wikipedia

This is one of my favorite albums to listen to no matter what I am doing. I can listen to it over and over. My favorite song on this Album is "Mercy Mercy Me". Very powerful song.

Last edited by a moderator:
Headed out soon, so making this one quick. My second pick of the draft is:

Brothers -- The Black Keys (2010) http://www.allmusic.com/album/brothers-mw0001983497
My reasons for choosing this one are pretty simple: it's awesome. The Black Keys are a band I got into late, but got into hard, acquiring most of their discography within just a couple of days. There are other albums with a couple songs I may like better than the ones here, but this album just rocks from start to finish. Relatively sparse in its production, catchy as hell, with the right amount of dirt and grime. Its three big hits -- "Tighten Up," "Next Girl," and "Howlin' For You" (videos here, here, and here, respectively) -- are all great, but I'm also especially fond of organ heavy "The Only One," "Ten Cent Pistol," and "Everlasting Light."

Other videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAIy6jBOgSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QzGvoUMBoA

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run (1975) (Wiki link)

I can't even try to pretend that the music on this album isn't amazing - I put this album on in the car and I find myself singing along to every note of Clarence Clemons' solos, and if it were an instrumental album it might still deserve a place in the second round. But this album just speaks to me lyrically, most of it about the desolation of poverty and youth lost in the urban wasteland:

Baby this town rips the bones from your back
Its a death trap, it's a suicide rap
We gotta get out while we're young
`cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run
There were ghosts in the eyes
Of all the boys you sent away
They haunt this dusty beach road
In the skeleton frames of burned out Chevrolets
And all the poets down here don't write nothing at all, they just stand back and let it all be
And in the quick of the knife they reach for their moment and try to make an honest stand
But they wind up wounded, not even dead - tonight in Jungleland
Enjoy some Jungleland, won't you?

Sorry Guys! I was at work. Having the last pick is rough. Since it will be awhile since I will pick ahead I have to go with two MUST haves. Two albums I definitely could not live without.

With my first pick and final pick of the first round my choice is:

Nirvana- Nevermind-1991

View attachment 4420
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_Nevermind

One of my all time favorite bands! Brings back so many good memories of my teenage years! I figured if I didn't take this now, it wouldn't make it back to me by the third round.
It wouldn't have. Solid if obvious pick.

Back in a moment with mine.

So that last bit of the round went about as badly for me as possible. Lost out on my favorite album due to a bit of botched strategy that blew up in my face. Found out the strategy was pointless anyway and I could have gotten both albums just drafting in preference order. Then my impromptu, didn't think it would be available replacement (Nevermind) was predictably snatched. Welcome to the album draft.

With a long wait time staring me down and an already scrambled draft board, I'm just going to pick one of the most celebrated rock albums of all time and try to get my head to stop spinning by round three.

Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin (1971)

As the resident newbie to the "music is good" party, naturally Zoso or Four Symbols or The Hermit or whatever you want to call it was among the first on my list to try out. And honestly, it took me a while to really appreciate it. When I heard it described as the pinnacle of hard rock, I didn't really expect such a heavy folksy and blues influence and references to The Lord of the Rings of all things.

But I kept listening to it over and over trying to pick up what every one was raving about until I realized, I didn't really want to stop. When it wants to rock out it does so and hard (Black Dog, Rock and Roll, Four Sticks) and then shifts seamlessly to heartfelt smooth melodies (Battle of Evermore, Going to California).

And really guys, even though it's way overplayed, Stairway to Heaven really is an amazing piece from beginning to end.

Here, let me play some for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_IV

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run (1975) (Wiki link)

I can't even try to pretend that the music on this album isn't amazing - I put this album on in the car and I find myself singing along to every note of Clarence Clemons' solos, and if it were an instrumental album it might still deserve a place in the second round. But this album just speaks to me lyrically, most of it about the desolation of poverty and youth lost in the urban wasteland:

Enjoy some Jungleland, won't you?
Interesting. I did not expect that. Thought maybe sometime later maybe...

Guess not. :)

THIS is why I ask you people to send me those lists of everything you plan to draft. Saves heartache and distraught feelings later.

First of all kudos for the Aftermath and the What's Going On picks, not on my shortlist but excellent records nonetheless.

Here I go with my second dad rock pick in a row:

The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St. (1972)

Sorry Brian Jones but to me the Stones hit their prime only after their brief and semi-successfull love affair with british psych-pop and return, with added maturity and consistency, to what they did best: sleazy, dirty, decadent rock'n'roll.
Exile On Main Street is one hour of Rolling Stones at their peak, starting with one of the greatest openers ever in Rocks Off (seriously, if you don't like those horns you don't like rock music) and finishing (well, almost) with one of their greatest over the top ballads in Shine a Light.
Not sure if it's my favourite Stones record but is sure is my favourite drinking album, which makes it quite necessary in the desert island framework.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
With the twenty-second pick, Mr. Slim Citrus selects:

Prince and the Revolution - Purple Rain (1984)

This album represents a major sea change in my life: in addition to having served in the military myself, I also come from a military family. Purple Rain was released during the summer of my family's last major move before my mom was medically discharged, due to injury (my dad had actually retired earlier that year); we moved from Norfolk to Great Lakes, IL, where my mom served as an instructor at the Hospital Corpsman school. The songs from Purple Rain helped my sister and I with a particularly difficult transition, and helped us to find quickly find common ground with the kids in our new home. You know, I've always been guarded, personally... I don't even use the word "friend" the way that most people do (the sort of relationship that most people describe when they talk about their "friends" barely fits my criteria for acquantaince). There are only two people from my pre-Navy life whom I would consider friends, and I met both of them during this time period.

Unlike most of the music I love in 2013, this is one of the few albums that I listened to as a kid that I recognized as good music when I was a kid, which is only funny in the sense that most of the music that I now love was released before I could crawl. It hits the ground running with the first track, and maintains high quality all throughout (to borrow an expression from the late, great Mitch Hedberg, it's the opposite of a "pancake" album).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Purple Rain probably would have been my first choice had I not decided to ignore everything drafted last time.
I'm intrigued with your approach, considering the quality and variety of albums selected the last time around. I do like the way people are making this personal, opting for albums that had an impact on their lives and sharing the stories.

It's so cool to be back to doing these kinds of things. :)

Bricklayer

I had a late change of heart on this pick, in part because I tied myself up in a knot choosing between two very different albums of my other band, and in part because I remember how these drafts go, and this pick may not be out there too much longer:

Credence Clearwater Revival -- Cosmo's Factory (1970) -- CCR is my favorite all time classic rock band. In a space of about 4 years they might have cranked out more hits in a shorter period of time than any other band has ever done. In one year alone they released three albums, and the hits just kept on coming. Cosmo's is I think their best. Its almost silly how strong an album it is. It looks like a greatest album by itself (in fact no fewer than 7 of is songs made it onto their famous greatest hits CD). My all time favorite CCR song is not here, but so many are: Up Around the Bend, Travelin' Band, Lookin' Out My Back Door (a fav), Who'll Stop the Rain, Long As I Can See the Light (another), Runnin' Through the Jungle... -- its like packing an entire classic rock station for my island on one album.

Other videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1809vqz3zA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeJuUqDqY00

I had a late change of heart on this pick, in part because I tied myself up in a knot choosing between two very different albums of my other band, and in part because I remember how these drafts go, and this pick may not be out there too much longer:

Credence Clearwater Revival -- Cosmo's Factory -- CCR is my favorite all time classic rock band. In a space of about 4 years they might have cranked out more hits in a shorter period of time than any other band has ever done. In one year alone they released three albums, and the hits just kept on coming. Cosmo's is I think their best. Its almost silly how strong an album it is. It looks like a greatest album by itself (in fact no fewer than 7 of is songs made it onto their famous greatest hits CD). My all time favorite CCR song is not here, but so many are: Travelin' Band, Lookin' Out My Back Door (a fav), Who'll Stop the Rain, Long As I Can See the Light (another), Runnin' Through the Jungle... -- its like packing an entire classic rock station for my island on one album.
Fantasic pick... love CCR... nicely done.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Note: I've gone back and added hyper-links for the albums to Wikipedia, so that those who aren't familiar with a particular work will be able to get more information. The link is generally in the title of the album.

with the eighth pick in the second round of the 2013 Desert Island Music Draft, i select...

The Cure - Disintegration (05/01/89):

01 Plainsong
02 Pictures of You
03 Closedown
04 Lovesong
05 Last Dance
06 Lullaby
07 Fascination Street
08 Prayers for Rain
09 The Same Deep Water as You
10 Disintegration

Genre: post-punk, gothic rock, new wave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disintegration_(The_Cure_album)

Deftones' seminal 2000 album, White Pony, was my first pick in the draft. it was a vanity pick, because it's my favorite album of all time, and while there was certainly no danger of it being claimed in the early rounds (if at all), i wanted to make a statement regarding the way i would be drafting. the Deftones have been my favorite band since junior high, when i first heard their second album, Around the Fur. it was around this time that i was able to begin defining and curating my own music taste outside of my father's record collection. so i would read every interview with the Deftones in every magazine i could find, soaking up whatever knowledge they were willing to impart to their fans. when you're young, bright-eyed, and desiring new music to listen to, and late-90's radio is inundating your ears with the likes of Britney Spears and N'sync, but you also haven't the faintest idea of where to start looking for something better, something of quality, the best place to begin is amongst your favorite band's influences...

Deftones' vocalist Chino Moreno is a unique and unusual voice in metal because he's not afraid to wear his post-punk influence on his sleeve, citing Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan, Japan's David Sylvian, The Smiths' Morrisey, and The Cure's Robert Smith as some of his favorite singers. in an era of dial-up internet, and with limited access to information about music outside of MTV, i trotted my teenage self down to Dimple Records in Roseville damn near every week, digging for treasure through the aisles of used CD's. i became friendly with Dimple's staff, and they were never shy about pointing me in the right direction. the Cure's Disintegration was among my earliest and most-prized finds, it's synth-driven beauty painting the kind of emotional landscape that i was looking for in music, but could not find amongst the sea of guitar-wielding fakers, boy band choreography, and Jock Jams amateurism...

Deftones' White Pony would eventually become my favorite album as the calendar turned over to the new millenium, giving way to its summer time release. but in the autumn and winter of 1999, without a compass, Disintegration helped me to truly fall in love with music. from the popular wedding-day anthem "Lovesong" to the unrelenting groove of "Fascination Street" to the wide screen grandeur of title track "Disintegration," the Cure redefined themselves on their own terms, and made a stone cold classic of an album. they've not been able to top it since, nor would i really want them to. Disintegration is so near to perfection. its genuinely emotive. it wraps the listener in its cocoon for an hour, and the listener comes out the other side changed. its influence stretches so wide on contemporary synth-based music. without the transcendent "Plainsong," perhaps highly-regarded artists like M83 fail to materialize. i am grateful that Disintegration is, has been, and always will be a part of my life. that gratitude is why i've selected it with my second round pick...

I will select:

Boston - Boston -1976
BostonBoston.jpg

Eight songs of pure rock perfection... this, in my opinion, is the greatest rock album ever recorded. There was the single "More than a Feeling", but there is so much more than that. All eight tracks equally as awesome. I have this on LP, Tape, CD, and MP3 and I have enjoyed all the formats, but the LP version is mixed a little better (less emphasis on vocals). The vocals, the guitars, it was all so perfect. I can honestly say, though I am no classic rock nut, this album has been in my car for easily the past 15 years.

The complete album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEDmFIUb83A

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't hate classic rock but I tended to skip over it in my drafts, I do gotta say though that Boston record is pretty amazing for pretty much every song on it being single-worthy at the height of AOR. I think song for song only the G'n'R record can stack up, even my personal fave London Calling has one or two songs that are meh.

Bricklayer

I will select:

Boston - Boston -1976
View attachment 4423

Eight songs of pure rock perfection... this, in my opinion, is the greatest rock album ever recorded. There was the single "More than a Feeling", but there is so much more than that. All eight tracks equally as awesome. I have this on LP, Tape, CD, and MP3 and I have enjoyed all the formats, but the LP version is mixed a little better (less emphasis on vocals). The vocals, the guitars, it was all so perfect. I can honestly say, though I am no classic rock nut, this album has been in my car for easily the past 15 years.

The complete album:
Yikes, and here I was thinking I might pick that up later. Again, guess not.

My list took a beating with the end of round 1 and early round 2. Nice selections all.

I'm torn between two albums by the same artist, so after much deliberation, and nights of listening to music past my bedtime I've settled my drafting priorities for now...With my 2nd choice, I select:

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd - 1973

All you need is Time and Money! This album began a great run of classic rock albums orchestrated by Pink Floyd. My favorite individual track on the album is "Time". It has a great guitar riff, with lyrical richness that gets better with age. "Money" is also a classic, along with "Us and Them". This is another album best listened to in a quiet place, from start to finish, and works well on a loop through introspective afternoons, and late, late evenings.

Track List:

1. Speak to Me - 1:30
2. Breathe - 2:43
3. On the Run - 3:36
4. Time - 7:01
5. The Great Gig in the Sky - 4:36

Side II

1. Money - 6:22
2. Us and Them - 7:46
3. Any Colour You Like - 3:25
4. Brain Damage - 3:48
5. Eclipse - 2:03

More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon

With the twenty-second pick, Mr. Slim Citrus selects:

Prince and the Revolution - Purple Rain (1984)

This album represents a major sea change in my life: in addition to having served in the military myself, I also come from a military family. Purple Rain was released during the summer of my family's last major move before my mom was medically discharged, due to injury (my dad had actually retired earlier that year); we moved from Norfolk to Great Lakes, IL, where my mom served as an instructor at the Hospital Corpsman school. The songs from Purple Rain helped my sister and I with a particularly difficult transition, and helped us to find quickly find common ground with the kids in our new home. You know, I've always been guarded, personally... I don't even use the word "friend" the way that most people do (the sort of relationship that most people describe when they talk about their "friends" barely fits my criteria for acquantaince). There are only two people from my pre-Navy life whom I would consider friends, and I met both of them during this time period.

Unlike most of the music I love in 2013, this is one of the few albums that I listened to as a kid that I recognized as good music when I was a kid, which is only funny in the sense that most of the music that I now love was released before I could crawl. It hits the ground running with the first track, and maintains high quality all throughout (to borrow an expression from the late, great Mitch Hedberg, it's the opposite of a "pancake" album).
...grr. Although the story behind the album is wonderful! Great pic!

My list took a beating with the end of round 1 and early round 2. Nice selections all.

I'm torn between two albums by the same artist, so after much deliberation, and nights of listening to music past my bedtime I've settled my drafting priorities for now...With my 2nd choice, I select:

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd - 1973

All you need is Time and Money! This album began a great run of classic rock albums orchestrated by Pink Floyd. My favorite individual track on the album is "Time". It has a great guitar riff, with lyrical richness that gets better with age. "Money" is also a classic, along with "Us and Them". This is another album best listened to in a quiet place, from start to finish, and works well on a loop through introspective afternoons, and late, late evenings.

Track List:

1. Speak to Me - 1:30
2. Breathe - 2:43
3. On the Run - 3:36
4. Time - 7:01
5. The Great Gig in the Sky - 4:36

Side II

1. Money - 6:22
2. Us and Them - 7:46
3. Any Colour You Like - 3:25
4. Brain Damage - 3:48
5. Eclipse - 2:03

More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon

finally its gone!! Expected dark side to go much earlier...nice pick

Well, I have to say, there have been some fantastic picks so far. Some that suprise me and some that boggle my mind, but music is weird that way, as they say, one person's trash is another man's treasure! I would like to thank Löwerherz for making this selection a little easier. I was having the hardest time deciding between my 2 favorite Zeppelin Albums and since he took IV, I will go ahead and select the original, Led Zeppelin.
I used to work at a video store back in the day and I forced everyone that came in to listen to this album. For nealry 2 years this album was in what was a very small rotation and even after listening to it hundreds of times, i still love it. Contains some rock classics including Dazed and Confused and Communication Breakdown. Palmer, Plant, Bonham and Jones, man, those guys could rock!

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin - 1968

1006_hrbp_02_z+led_zeppelin_atlantic+album_cover.jpg

Two of my top picks has been stolen from me from the previous round: Blood Sugar and my supposed to be 2nd round pick: Nevermind. :mad:

So far the trend has been classic albums/artists, which also dominates my top 10 list with the exception of my next pick. Her first album but already solid but I feel her second one takes the cake. The songs are awesome and transcends all genre, the lyrics are heartfelt and sincere. I could really find no fault with this album except that the songs has been overplayed to the ground. Nevertheless I can play it over and over again in my island for days without getting bored with it.

So without further ado, my next pick is:

3.jpg

21 - Adele (2011)

Wiki

Have to say, Adele is a fantastic pick. I was thinking of taking it a little later, but then i thought, do I want to enjoy my peaceful, relaxing, desert island experience or tax myself with the emotional ride that this album takes you on. Hope you're up to the challenge...
Well done.

Have to say, Adele is a fantastic pick. I was thinking of taking it a little later, but then i thought, do I want to enjoy my peaceful, relaxing, desert island experience or tax myself with the emotional ride that this album takes you on. Hope you're up to the challenge...
Well done.
Thanks.

I think I'm up for it, I have 19 other albums to relax, bang, go wild, etc. to.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.