Desert Island Music Album Draft 2013 - draft complete

Should we extend the draft to 25 picks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, White Pony in the first round. kinda awesome. it's the oldest record in my collection (meaning the one I've had the longest), I think. should listen to it again sometime.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
ok, did not get a PM, but I am on it.

By way of planning, could all of you please give me a brief description of the type of music you like, along with your 10 favorite bands, and everyone you intend to draft in this draft?

thx.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
ok, did not get a PM, but I am on it.

By way of planning, could all of you please give me a brief description of the type of music you like, along with your 10 favorite bands, and everyone you intend to draft in this draft?

thx.
Just keep your mitts off Miley Cyrus, One Direction and Justin Bieber.

Bricklayer

Ok, well, as a late add and old vet at this I intend to play this a little looser than I did the first time through many a year ago, and I certainly don't intend to duplicate my picks from that one. However, I specifically recall the last time we did this deciding what the hell, and intending to take GNR's Appetite for Destruction with my first round pick, only to have it snagged just before I went. My response was to immediately shift to my #2 lunkhead album of all time instead. Well, here we are again, once again GNR is gone before I pick, and so for this one single pick I will duplicate my response last time and immediately shift once again to my 2nd favorite lunkhead album of all time:

Second best selling album of all time BTW with over 50 million copies sold worldwide. Obviously the biggest selling hard rock album of all time. I still have my old record in its battered sleeve stashed in a box somewhere at my mother's house. Tried to keep it pristine, because it was all black, and hence I thought it was cool. But played it too often.

Back in Black - AC/DC

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
With the 11th pick, Mr. Slim Citrus selects:

Stevie Wonder, Songs in the Key of Life (1976).

This LP was the soundtrack of my childhood. I remember, in the three years between when my mom divorced my father and married my dad, I could track what mood she was in by which albums she'd play when she came home after work. And, whenever Songs was on, I knew it had been a good day. Especially if she was playing the second disc: the back-to-back of As and Another Star meant me, my mom and my sister prancing around the living room, acting like idiots for fifteen minutes. Good times.

I'm not going to be letting commercial or critical success factor into any of my picks but, as far as that goes, Songs was only the third album to debut at Number One on Billboard's Pop Albums list, and the first album by an American to do so. It spent fourteen weeks at Number One (including thirteen consecutive), and thirty-five weeks in the Top Ten. It spawned two Number One singles, and won four Grammys (cite: Wikipedia).

Last edited:
Beatles records are going pretty fast, might as well pick my favourite before it's gone.

The Beatles - Revolver (1966)

No fillers, right balance between beat and psychedelic sound and most importantly none of the grossly overplayed Beatles' songs I got sick of over the years (e.g.: Here Comes The Sun). Pop records don't get much finer than this.

I'm leaving many a piece of low hanging fruit by reaching into the 90s grunge for my 1st selection. As the resident Pearl Jam acolyte, I would be remiss to let this album drop to another list. With my 1st selection, I choose:

Pearl Jam - Ten

Pearl Jam's debut album remains their highest grossing venture with over 10 million album sales. Rich with heavy blues/rock riffs and soulful Vedder vocals, this album will take the early lead on my island playlist.
What a steal! Such a great album! So, the real question is, for fans of this album, is "Black" your favorite song on there?

Let's face it, the Beatles have a ton of great Albums and even more great songs. The thing is, ask anyone who is not a true audiophile what the best Beatles album is and they will all say Sgt. Pepper. Why? Cause its freaking awesome, that's why.
Building off what they started with the album Revolver, they totally captured the essence of the 60's. Starting with the iconic cover and featuring songs like "Lucy and the Sky with Diamonds", "With a Little Help from My Friends" and even the wacky "When I'm Sixty-Four", the Beatles created one for the ages. Any time spent stranded on a desert island would be much less enjoyable without this masterpiece.

Love the pick. My favorite song from this album (and any Beatles album for that matter) has to be "Lovely Rita". It makes me laugh whenever I hear it!

It's almost inconceivable I would even take part in this draft when it comes to light I've only ever owned two albums, neither of which I bought for myself nor expect to be drafted by anyone here.

Music was not an important part of my life growing up. I didn't have a favorite band, I didn't go to concerts and beyond whatever singles were getting airplay on the mainstream radio stations year to year, I was scarcely aware of the medium as little more than background noise up into adulthood.

But, as strange as it sounds, that began to change with Slim's album draft here five years ago. It was the first time I'd ever actually read anything about contemporary albums in terms of their artistic and personal impact. I was inspired and frankly embarrassed I'd been so willfully ignorant and robbed myself of rather powerful experiences for so long.

I figure since I've been using that draft as a bit of a trail guide into exploring music for the past five years, taking part in this one is just the slightest show of thanks I can give you all - even if that means I end up stealing some of your favorites.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers (1991)

Of all the albums drafted in the first few rounds last time, this is the one I've loved the most - and that's really shocked me.

There isn't a song on the album individually I would consider among my favorites, including Under the Bridge. But the album as a whole complements itself so beautifully, somehow managing to glide seamlessly from overt sexual silliness to serenely tragic tones, that it really needs to be approached as a sum-of-its-parts experience to be appreciated in my opinion.

Gadget (from whom I've likely earned a blood vendetta just now) described it much more expertly and succinctly than I ever could as: "A decidedly unique sound crafted from influences in funk, punk, and rock comes together on this album in songs that are tragic, fun, obscene, heartfelt, and still wonderful to listen to (now 22) years later."

I can only hope she takes this move as an homage rather than a theft - but either way, I'm glad to have one of the very first albums I've ever deemed "a favorite" on my island.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Sugar_Sex_Magik

What a steal! Such a great album! So, the real question is, for fans of this album, is "Black" your favorite song on there?
Of course! Release is a close second, along with the heavy hitters/radio hits Once, Jeremy, Garden, and Even Flow. Not a bad song on the album IMO.

Lots of great picks so far. Looks like the Beatles entire catalog will be gone by round 3 :).

Of course! Release is a close second, along with the heavy hitters/radio hits Once, Jeremy, Garden, and Even Flow. Not a bad song on the album IMO.

Lots of great picks so far. Looks like the Beatles entire catalog will be gone by round 3 :).

Nice thing about the Beatles; not all of their hits are on albums... a lot of their hits only came out as singles... I could always pick something like that if I had to...

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Radiohead - OK Computer (1997) (Wiki link)

Lots of great picks in this round, and I'm trying to keep that going with one of the seminal albums of the '90s. OK Computer was not only my first Radiohead album, I think it's still their best, and it represented a turning point in my music listening career in terms of what I expected out of new music. What's remarkable to me is that I bought the album, unheard, off of a recommendation form a total stranger. Best flyer I ever took. Ever since OK Computer, three chords and a hook is not enough to make great music - you've now got to be daring, but to make daring not just listenable but downright enjoyable. It's easy to get that wrong and make daring music that just gets shelved, but Radiohead got it right and probably never more right than here.

I'm sure most people here are quite familiar with the album, but if you aren't doing anything, have another listen at "Paranoid Android" again, just because it's great.

Radiohead - OK Computer (1997)

I really can't believe it. OK Computer wasn't taken until the 10th round last time. I had it slotted as my second pick only because I thought Blood Sugar was at a much higher risk of getting snagged.

That's the album that ultimately made me finally see modern music albums as art. I've listened to it more times than I can count. I really should have known given how often our paths crossed in the second movie draft that you'd be a threat.

My ... my mouth literally dropped when I saw this pick from you. In part I'm glad my love of the album is justified. But mostly, I just kinda want to cry right now :)

Last edited:
I really can't believe it. OK Computer wasn't taken until the 10th round last time. I had it slotted as my second pick only because I thought Blood Sugar was at a much higher risk of getting snagged.

That's the album that ultimately made me finally see modern music albums as art. I've listened to it more times than I can count. I really should have known given how often our paths crossed in the second movie draft that you'd be a threat.

My ... my mouth literally dropped when I saw this pick from you. In part I'm glad my love of the album is justified. But mostly, I just kinda want to cry right now :)
I think it is because, somehow, OK Computer seems to get better with age... the more you listen to it, the better you like it... then more albums come out; you compare them to OK Computer and they don't stack up... then you listen to OK Computer again, then you like it more.

Bricklayer

GGG has been notified via back channels, but will be unable to make her pick until this evening, at which point she will doubtless merely confirm the Manilow.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

This is going to be fun and torturous at the same time, isn't it? I'm really kind of surprised that OK Computer made it to the 10th round last time. I figured given the exposure the album has it wasn't safe beyond the first few picks. I was kind of prepared to have it snatched right out from under me. Whew!

Dirty.

at which point she will doubtless merely confirm the Manilow.
She will not.

She has, however, finally gotten home from a wicked closing shift, has cleaned out her PMs, and is diligently writing up her first pick to be posted momentarily. Sorry for all the delays and junk -- I spent most of my day home checking the computer periodically, so of course the last two picks I was waiting on were posted just as I was starting my shift.

Okay. Before my first pick, a few comments about how I'll be playing this time around. In order to a) increase the challenge for myself a bit, b) help narrow down the massive preliminary list I'm working from, and c) avoid a draft list that is largely a huge repeat of my list the first time through, I've come up with a few self-imposed restrictions that will guide my picking from here on out. Most of these are similar to how I made my picks in the second movie draft. For one thing, since there were so many amazing albums and artists left undrafted last time, I won't be repeating any of the picks made in the first draft by myself or anyone else. Secondly, I've decided I won't be taking albums by any of the artists/groups I drafted last time unless it's to grab an album that's been released in the years since that draft. Lastly, as I did in both movie drafts, I'm limiting myself to albums in my own music collection. I figure it's hard to call something essential for my island if it hasn't even been important enough for me to buy or download it yet.

With that said, my first pick of this draft is:

Aftermath -- The Rolling Stones (1966) http://www.allmusic.com/album/aftermath-mw0000191599
There are two different versions of their early albums, as UK releases tended to include more tracks but no singles, and for the sake of clarity I am of course going with the version released in the US. In any case, I knew I wanted to go with the Stones early this time around, largely because I thought they were rather criminally ignored last time around (including by me), but it took me longer than I would have through to settle on which album to take. Common problem with such long lasting bands, I think. I own most of their pre-80s discography and many of my very favorite/most essential songs are peppered throughout their many albums. In considering which one of their albums I would want with me for ever and always, however, it's not surprising I finally landed on their mid-60s/pre-psychedelia era. I love a lot of the later stuff, but their sound during this time by far best represents my favorite version of the British Invasion. Also, if we're looking at individual songs, it's really hard to argue against an album that includes "Under My Thumb," "I Am Waiting," AND "Paint It Black." Those three are just killers, and there's not that big a drop off in the other eight tracks.

Other videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9yQ47Svxu8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPVUa29kHu8

Sorry Guys! I was at work. Having the last pick is rough. Since it will be awhile since I will pick ahead I have to go with two MUST haves. Two albums I definitely could not live without.

With my first pick and final pick of the first round my choice is:

Nirvana- Nevermind-1991

nirvana_nevermind_cover.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_Nevermind

One of my all time favorite bands! Brings back so many good memories of my teenage years! I figured if I didn't take this now, it wouldn't make it back to me by the third round.

Status
Not open for further replies.