Current Team Discussion and Possible Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a feeling that we're gonna trade for Melo by 15th Dec.
Melo for Rudy/Casspi/Tolliver works.

Skal takes Tolliver's role, Malachi takes on the back-up wing role.
And Melo is much more flexible with DMC, especially if we go Melo at 4.

Why would Melo waive his trade kicker? Well Porzingis is New York's face now.

I dont know if I want to buy that one. Reports are out their that Melo has issues with Phil?? Anways for a 32 year old Melo still puts up good numbers and if building around Cuz is the objective Cuz loves the guy.

Not gonna happen, that is NY, you do not trade "star" for unknowns.

Even if offered....it is just shuffling chairs.
ISO player, scorer, not a good passer, 1:1 ast/to, with 45%/34%/80% for 2pt/3pt/ft, 6 rebs....
Try to guess which one fits the above description

K

KingMilz

The Timberwolves are looking for frontcourt help via a trade maybe they are not that impressed with Dieng (despite just extending him recently) and maybe we could get in on a 3 way deal, I want no part of Bricky Rubio but.

Seems odd for a team to want frontcourt players when they have KAT/Dieng/Aldrich and they refuse to play Jordan Hill. Maybe they want a stretch 4 since Bjelica is terrible @PF but plays well as a big SF as he was in Europe (but they never play him there with Wiggins/Shabazz).

dude12

Hall of Famer
I was reading up on Cameron Payne and his injury status. OKC expects him back at the end of December. He broke the same bone twice and opted for non-surgery the second time. Same break as Ben Simmons at about the same time but Pyne is way ahead of the Simmons timeline.

I was able to talk to Sean Cunningham on the sidelines during a high school football game. We started talking Kings. I asked him about any trades involving Boogie and he said more likely it's Gay and the Kings really, really like/want Payne. If Payne can show he's healthy, then I'd think its a no brainer trade for OKC.

Looking at salaries, Gay plus Lawson helps fill voids for OKC. Some combination of Payne, Singler, Alex Abrines...potentially Sabonis can get salaries close.

I can't get that exact thought out of my mind either.

My answer had zero to do with Vlade.

You asked whether anyone would hire a coach who had never been an assistant and I answered.

And the idea that Kerr didn't play a major role in the Warriors going from good to great is belied by the fact that Golden State dumped Mark Jackson in favor of a coach who could take them to the next level. Kerr did.

I have no issue criticizing Vlade's moves. I've done it a few times. But you (and a few others) keep holding on to this narrative that "experience" is a huge key to success as an NBA GM and it just isn't. In a lot of jobs it is. You learn the ropes, move up the ladder and if you're good enough you keep rising in the organization. In most areas you want the person with more experience. Plumbers, Lawyers, Engineers, etc. All else being equal, the person who has done it longer is usually a safe bet.

Being an NBA GM isn't most jobs. Who is the best GM in the NBA?

R.C. Buford? He was an assistant coach at Kansas before becoming an assistant with the Spurs and working his way up to lead assistant. After a year with the University of Florida and one with the Clippers he came back to the Spurs as the head scout, then director of scouting, then assistant GM and then the GM. Absolutely had a ton of experience before becoming GM. Is one of the best in the biz.

Danny Ainge? After his playing career he briefly coached the Suns before resigning and then was named GM of the Celtics. Zero front office experience. Is one of the best in the biz.

I think you have things a bit backwards. Most of us aren't "doing anything to back Vlade" - we're saying that we have to wait and see. He's been on the job for less than two seasons. He may end up being a bad GM. He may not. But constantly firing guys a year or two in is a large part of why the Kings have sucked for as long as they have. But you seem to be going out of your way to trash the guy at every turn - including this "he has no experience!" line of criticism which has never been a predictor of success or failure as an NBA GM. Guys get judged on whether they improve a roster or not. I think Divac deserves at least one more offseason before labeling his tenure a failure.
Experience would have helped during Vlade's early tenure as GM. At the very least, he should have surrounded himself with people who had experience in the FO. I think early on Vlade didn't understand the value of draft picks, which is why he traded them to Philly. An experienced GM would know that those draft picks are more valuable than what he received because of the rise in salary cap and the lack of attractiveness of Sacramento as a FA destination as a whole. On top of that, he gave Philly draft swaps. You yourself have stated the Kings should rebuild this year, but they can't because of the potential for a pick swap. Let's say the Kings get the #2 pick while the 76ers get the #4. The jump may not seem huge, but #2 to #4 is in reality a huge jump in terms of talent. Let's not forget about sending an unprotected pick in 2019. Essentially, the Kings cannot rebuild and are stuck making lateral moves for the next 2 years because of draft obligations owed.

Experience is not a future predictor of success, but experience is necessary during the beginning of one's tenure as GM.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Experience would have helped during Vlade's early tenure as GM. At the very least, he should have surrounded himself with people who had experience in the FO. I think early on Vlade didn't understand the value of draft picks, which is why he traded them to Philly. An experienced GM would know that those draft picks are more valuable than what he received because of the rise in salary cap and the lack of attractiveness of Sacramento as a FA destination as a whole. On top of that, he gave Philly draft swaps. You yourself have stated the Kings should rebuild this year, but they can't because of the potential for a pick swap. Let's say the Kings get the #2 pick while the 76ers get the #4. The jump may not seem huge, but #2 to #4 is in reality a huge jump in terms of talent. Let's not forget about sending an unprotected pick in 2019. Essentially, the Kings cannot rebuild and are stuck making lateral moves for the next 2 years because of draft obligations owed.

Experience is not a future predictor of success, but experience is necessary during the beginning of one's tenure as GM.
Draft pick. Not picks. He only traded one pick to Philadelphia. And my guess is that at the time he was confident in his ability to turn things around and thus the 2019 pick wouldn't be worth as much if it was late teens to early 20s or so. If so, that was a bad calculation on his part but somewhat understandable if he was asked by Vivek to make the team competitive sooner than later.

I was reading up on Cameron Payne and his injury status. OKC expects him back at the end of December. He broke the same bone twice and opted for non-surgery the second time. Same break as Ben Simmons at about the same time but Pyne is way ahead of the Simmons timeline.

I was able to talk to Sean Cunningham on the sidelines during a high school football game. We started talking Kings. I asked him about any trades involving Boogie and he said more likely it's Gay and the Kings really, really like/want Payne. If Payne can show he's healthy, then I'd think its a no brainer trade for OKC.

Looking at salaries, Gay plus Lawson helps fill voids for OKC. Some combination of Payne, Singler, Alex Abrines...potentially Sabonis can get salaries close.

Woj and Bobby Marks discussed this deal to open their pre-Dec 15 pod cast today. They said this deal would have happened had Payne not gotten hurt. Said it's likely to be reassessed soon and Payne is supposed to be back later this month.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Woj and Bobby Marks discussed this deal to open their pre-Dec 15 pod cast today. They said this deal would have happened had Payne not gotten hurt. Said it's likely to be reassessed soon and Payne is supposed to be back later this month.
And did they say that Rudy and Payne were the centers of the proposed deal?

Unless we can pull off a Stanley Johnson or Porter trade that involves Rudy, I will be very OK with Payne as a King. Payne's injuries are a concern, and I'm not too keen on anyone OKC might realistically be willing to throw in to make salaries work. Grant might be OK, Sabonis yes but I don't see OKC giving up their last two 1st round picks for Rudy.

I've said it before, I really like Payne. I just see him as a smart solid contributor, and I like that in the short term the trade should increase our chance of keeping this years draft pick. With Payne here we can then also get excited about a couple really good SF's.

Trade rumors heating up right now since Boogie is out for rest tonight. Never mind that Rudy and Ben are also out... Should be an interesting day.
This whole "rest" things is complete bullcrap. The NBA has turned into a pansy league. When I grew up watching the NBA in the 80's and 90's players wouldn't take "rest" days. He is 26 years old and a professional athlete. He doesn't need rest.

This whole "rest" things is complete bullpoopoo. The NBA has turned into a pansy league. When I grew up watching the NBA in the 80's and 90's players wouldn't take "rest" days. He is 26 years old and a professional athlete. He doesn't need rest.
Exactly. I'll take the 1989 Pistons any day over the modern day Warriors.

Also remember when Mitch Richmond got a 3 million dollar a year deal and we thought holly crapt that's a lot of money, but at least we fans could afford to go to games.

This whole "rest" things is complete bullpoopoo. The NBA has turned into a pansy league. When I grew up watching the NBA in the 80's and 90's players wouldn't take "rest" days. He is 26 years old and a professional athlete. He doesn't need rest.
I disagree. The grind that the long season puts on a players body can be very taxing.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Exactly. I'll take the 1989 Pistons any day over the modern day Warriors.

Also remember when Mitch Richmond got a 3 million dollar a year deal and we thought holly poopoot that's a lot of money, but at least we fans could afford to go to games.
Even basketball in the early 2000's was fun to watch, at least for me...no rest days, hand checks, tough fouls, lots of defensive ball clubs. oh my how the days have gone to paper tissue.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The Spurs and the Warriors are two teams who can afford to rest their best players...the Kings? ehhh not feeling it but I'll take the loss if the direction is to do this more as the season progresses.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

I hated that deal. I hate any deal that involves trading 1st round picks or pick swaps of first rounders unless it is to get an in-their-prime established star (see Richmond, Mitch). Dealing a pick for established talent only benefits teams that draft poorly. Terrible teams need the star talent and good teams should get low cost role players.

But I digress.

Trading Boogie for picks & young players (say to Boston for the pick swap with Brooklyn this year and the Nets pick outright next year) means two bites at the Apple with 2 picks each time. True, they can't get the #1 pick with their own selection due to the pick swap and may be forced to fall a couple slots, they could with the Nets pick.

And next year they'd have two more shots with no restrictions before they lose a pick to Philly. To me that's why the time frame for a rebuild is critical. Waiting a year makes that 2019 pick loss hurt more.

Sounds like you never shot a basketball into a peach crate.
Hey jimbo I've played more basketball than all the hours that became days which turned into years that you have wasted in your life playing 2k and then some. So don't bring your weak assumptions over here and walk away now in those overpriced pair of basketball shoes that haven't and will never see the blacktop and much less the hardwood. Happy Holidays.

Hey jimbo I've played more basketball than all the hours that became days which turned into years that you have wasted in your life playing 2k and then some. So don't bring your weak assumptions over here and walk away now in those overpriced pair of basketball shoes that haven't and will never see the blacktop and much less the hardwood. Happy Holidays.
Its a friccin joke, referring to guys that have been around so long, like posters mentioning 80"s basketball, that they used a peach crate as a hoop. That's how basketball got its start. If you have played so many years I would think you had got it. I've never played 2k, fantasy basketball or wasted my cash on Air Jordans.

Something I've noticed on this forum, some people just like to go off on each other. I'm not interested.

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

Bulls for the first time in his career sat Mirotic (I want no part of him) and a team that badly needs shooting and was getting beaten badly it's a strange move unless they are moving him. Some movement is probably on the horizon.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I'd like to have jae crowder. If we could somehow get crowder and Payne for afflalo and gay. It would need us to take bake some crap somewhere

Noel wants out in Philly, I wonder what it would take to get him here? His trade value will be down due to him forcing a trade. Gay and McLemore for Noel? They desperately need wing play and I think we should start with Gay for Noel and see what they say, add McLemore to improve their backup at SG to see if they bite.

I have a hunch that vlade will swing a deal of Rudy gay for Boston's Terry Rozier (plus spare parts) so Danny Ainge can get some fire power to help IT in a playoff run.

Noel wants out in Philly, I wonder what it would take to get him here? His trade value will be down due to him forcing a trade. Gay and McLemore for Noel? They desperately need wing play and I think we should start with Gay for Noel and see what they say, add McLemore to improve their backup at SG to see if they bite.
Problem is unless we include a big in the trade Noel would be coming to another crowded frontcourt. I also think hes looking at free agency this year so we better be sure we can resign him.

Without doing too much research on the logistics of such a trade, I was thinking WCS and Ben for Noel. Is Noel worth it I'm not sure but he wants out of Philly and both Ben and Willie should just be happy their even in the league at this point. Then we still have Gay as a means to get a player like Payne.

I loved the Stanley Johnson scenario put out by another poster, but I'm not sure we have the players to get that done.

Status
Not open for further replies.