Can WCSs D make up for his lack of O?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about it, and I don't think drafting WCS would do as much as many of us tend to believe. Our D was already rated pretty highly near the start of the year, and has taken a noticable dive since, but I'm sure we can all point out the reason for that. We now have George Karl though, and I have to say I think he'd value more offensive veratility than a pure defensive ability.

Would having WCS on the floor with Boogie/Rudy/Ben/Darren fix our spacing problems? All I see is Boogie still getting double teamed on that side of the ball.

What are we really aiming at the 4? I see a lot of Kings fan go bat crap crazy if your not on the 'WCS or bust' train. But I still believe we need to go with a stretch 4, and Willie does'nt really offer us that option.

Again, watch the game closely - at no time was his defender more than 3 feet away from him outside of couple of moments, when he stuck handling the ball in front of the packed paint - yes, then the lane got clogged. Don't make him a ballhandler in high post, I guess.
The closest Hayes, his defender at the time, got to post action happened to be the moment, when Dekker just dropped Lyles on perimeter and was actually between Kaminsky, primary defender on KAT, and Hayes.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The thing with WCS is he came into college ball being a gawdawful shooter from the line (.372% as a freshman), got slightly better in year two (.482%), and this year has developed into a modestly not horrific shooter from the line this season (.617% on 3.4 attempts per game) which is by no means amazing but is still moderately decent enough to not make him a total liability out there in crunch time (*cough* Andre Drummond [.398% on the year] *cough* Deandre Jordan [.392% on the year] *cough* Ed Davis [.503% on the year] *cough* Josh Smith [.495% on the year] *cough*). Is he Rick Berry at the line? No but his free throw percentage roughly correlates with guys like Al Jefferson, Joakim Noah, Nerlens Noel, and Rudy Gobert, two of whom are all-stars and two of whom are perhaps the best young defensive bigs in the league.

Calipari's dribble-drive system (coincidentally originated by a guy on our coaching staff) generally restricts bigs to the post or as finishers so it's always a little hard to determine how good most of them actually are at shooting (When we drafted him, none of us were even aware that Boogie could shoot a mid-range jumper because Calipari would pretty much scream at him whenever Demarcus would touch the ball outside the paint) but on the rare occassions that WCS has had to shoot jumpers, none of them have looked particularly horrible in the same way that, I dunno, a Justin Williams howitzer would look. Of course, none of this is to say that Cauley-Stein's secretly been hiding three-point range or anything because that would just be ridiculous but I would not be surprised to see WCS become a solid spot-up shooter from certain choice spots in mid-range.

The main thing about WCS's offensive game, however, is that he is very coordinated and agile for a man of his size (think Anthony Davis athleticism) with good hands around the basket and a genuine ability to finish plays with authority. With his agility and Boogie's court vision, if Willie's man does decide to sneak off of him towards Demarcus, there's a good chance it'll result in a cut to the rim (see pretty much every Kentucky game ever or the Clippers featuring Blake Griffin and Deandre "physically incapable of shooting" Jordan) and a dunk.

So, while I don't think WCS is ever going to be winning any games with his scoring ability, I don't think he'll be a liability out there and, besides, if you're asking Willie Cauley-Stein to be a big cog of your offense, something has gone horribly wrong anyways.

I've been thinking about it, and I don't think drafting WCS would do as much as many of us tend to believe. Our D was already rated pretty highly near the start of the year, and has taken a noticable dive since, but I'm sure we can all point out the reason for that. We now have George Karl though, and I have to say I think he'd value more offensive veratility than a pure defensive ability.

Would having WCS on the floor with Boogie/Rudy/Ben/Darren fix our spacing problems? All I see is Boogie still getting double teamed on that side of the ball.

What are we really aiming at the 4? I see a lot of Kings fan go bat poopoo crazy if your not on the 'WCS or bust' train. But I still believe we need to go with a stretch 4, and Willie does'nt really offer us that option.
I certainly see why you are worried about spacing, but my argument would be that if someone can make it work then it's Karl and Wahlberg with the dribble drive offense. Remember, both Cousins and WCS played for UK so they are familiar with the dribble drive.

Some sets that Kentucky runs that may work well:

Offensively, Cousins would play the role of a 4 (here: Randle) and WCS the 5 who waits for the pass if his defenders helps one pass away

I think his offense needs a lot of work no doubt. I think we can solve the double team issues by Cuz passing the ball to WCS for a dunk when his defender goes to help.

There a few other big men that would fit Cuz on offense. Frank Kaminsky is so fun to watch.. I don't know how much he'd fit next to Cuz, but his 3pt shooting would be a +. I was very impressed with the way Kaminsky was on defense, although he gave up a lot of pts to Towns. My only downfall on Kaminsky is that I feel like he needs the ball in his hands to be entirely effective

DX already made a breakdown.. http://www.draftexpress.com/article...s-and-Willie-Cauley-Stein-Video-Analysis-4867

He's a good fit. Cousins gets double teamed anyway. Why not make the other teams lick their chops and then punish them with an alley-oop?

I don't care if WCS is suck at offense; we're in desperate need of size.

This is what KD had to say to his friend/UK fan on twitter. His friend basically said WCS played like "ass" and his offense was invisible tonight. KD replies with
everybody can't be a 20ppg scorer, he did what he was suppose to do. Defend and rebound. That's why he's a lottery pick
Just interesting to see a perspective from KD

bajaden

Hall of Famer

What are we really aiming at the 4? I see a lot of Kings fan go bat poopoo crazy if your not on the 'WCS or bust' train. But I still believe we need to go with a stretch 4, and Willie does'nt really offer us that option.
I won't say that stretch fours are a dime a dozen, but depending on the quality, there are a lot of them in the NBA. Hell, we had one in Patrick Patterson and we traded him away. Yeah yeah, I know, he was part of the Gay deal. My point is, players like Cauley-Stein don't grow on trees. A young Tyson Chandler is probably the closest comparison. So you can have a stretch four, or you can have a one of a kind defensive player, than will still get you some points. Point is, he'll get the team extra possessions and extra points. Throw the ball up near the basket, and if he's in the neighborhood, you have yourself a dunk. Personally, I think WCS is going to be a better pro player than he is a college player.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think his offense needs a lot of work no doubt. I think we can solve the double team issues by Cuz passing the ball to WCS for a dunk when his defender goes to help.

There a few other big men that would fit Cuz on offense. Frank Kaminsky is so fun to watch.. I don't know how much he'd fit next to Cuz, but his 3pt shooting would be a +. I was very impressed with the way Kaminsky was on defense, although he gave up a lot of pts to Towns. My only downfall on Kaminsky is that I feel like he needs the ball in his hands to be entirely effective

DX already made a breakdown.. http://www.draftexpress.com/article...s-and-Willie-Cauley-Stein-Video-Analysis-4867
I like Kaminsky a lot. Believe me, I did my best to find reasons not to like him. His biggest fault is that he's not a good athlete. He probably needs to add some strength as well. But he's very skilled, and he's very smart. He knows how to play the game. Dirk Nowitski wasn't the greatest athlete when he came into the league either. It wouldn't surprise me to see him in an all star game someday.

I like Kaminsky a lot. Believe me, I did my best to find reasons not to like him. His biggest fault is that he's not a good athlete. He probably needs to add some strength as well. But he's very skilled, and he's very smart. He knows how to play the game. Dirk Nowitski wasn't the greatest athlete when he came into the league either. It wouldn't surprise me to see him in an all star game someday.
Ah, here it is. Disregard my last post asking about Kaminsky. :)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

1) yes

2) you assume much much too much about Ben being there.

3) you are never allowed to speak about offensive improvements and the Kings again. Nobody n this fanbase is. Its poisoned the lot of us. And its ridiculous. The other side of the ball is where vast vast improvement can come from.

4) and to that point we do not and NO team needs 5 offensive weapons out there together. Ever. The best teams routinely have 1 and sometimes 2 guys out there specifically to defend. At the very most they might defend and have a spot shot. Defense defense defense defense and defense.

1) yes

2) you assume much much too much about Ben being there.

3) you are never allowed to speak about offensive improvements and the Kings again. Nobody n this fanbase is. Its poisoned the lot of us. And its ridiculous. The other side of the ball is where vast vast improvement can come from.

4) and to that point we do not and NO team needs 5 offensive weapons out there together. Ever. The best teams routinely have 1 and sometimes 2 guys out there specifically to defend. At the very most they might defend and have a spot shot. Defense defense defense defense and defense.
But what if that defender isn't a good shooter? I don't care about defense. I want points. I have a short attention span and don't care about anything apart from points. Points, offense, score, yay, happy. [/somekingsfans]

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
at this point...unless you can find yourself a competent starting PF...roll the dice with Cauley Stein and play the twin tower game with Cousins and Stein patrolling the paint...figure out the rest along the way.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Nobody is talking about the mediocre rebounding of WCS, nor his meh BBIQ.

Very good defender
Mediocre rebounder. (One rebound every 4 minutes in college doesn't a great rebounder in the NBA make).
Mediocre BBIQ (his passing isn't stellar)
Poor offensively (a fifth option)

Kings needs:

3 point shooting
BBIQ
defense; 3-pt shooting defense in particular

Yeah, he fits one of the categories. Seems like a one-trick pony. One could say he's almost like Reggie Evans. Just switch very good defense for very good rebounding as a strength.

Reggie:
Very good rebounder
Mediocre defender
Poor offensively
meh BBIQ

So when MCW takes the court in place of Thompson or Reggie, thereby sacrificing rebounding in lieu of defense, who picks up the slack on rebounding? Gay? How long is that going to last? Cousins might start to wonder if he is the only one on the floor who can rebound the ball.

Is that what we'd be getting in the draft? A guy who the coach subs in when he needs D, but can get along without above average rebounding or poor offense from a matchup standpoint? That's what you get for a #6 or #7 pick? If that is what Kings management is considering, please let us get a top 3 pick in the draft.

WCS has the skillset we need if we want to run an inside-out offense. Post up DMC or post up Gay, WCS needs to be the guy on the other block, ready for a rebound and/or a putback. He has to be the guy to pass to the post up-er in a high-low play if they front the post up-er, and then WCS, from the free-throw line, could be a lob threat (JT on the other hand is a shooting threat, believe it or not). Sure WCS could be the next guy to learn post-up from DMC, but we don't need it right now. That would be icing on the cake.

Very good defender
Mediocre rebounder. (One rebound every 4 minutes in college doesn't a great rebounder in the NBA make).

Kings needs:

3 point shooting
BBIQ

Yeah, he fits one of the categories. Seems like a one-trick pony. One could say he's almost like Reggie Evans. Just switch very good defense for very good rebounding as a strength.

Reggie:
Very good rebounder
Mediocre defender
Poor offensively
meh BBIQ

So when MCW takes the court in place of Thompson or Reggie, thereby sacrificing rebounding in lieu of defense, who picks up the slack on rebounding? Gay? How long is that going to last? Cousins might start to wonder if he is the only one on the floor who can rebound the ball.

Is that what we'd be getting in the draft? A guy who the coach subs in when he needs D, but can get along without above average rebounding or poor offense from a matchup standpoint? That's what you get for a #6 or #7 pick? If that is what Kings management is considering, please let us get a top 3 pick in the draft.
You could fill Sleep Train for a year with the amount of misinformation in this post.

Mediocre rebounder - I doubt this, he has always played alongside multiple great rebounders. He will be a better rebounder in the NBA. Probably not elite, especially beside DeMarcus, but significantly better than mediocre.
Poor offensively - wasn't asked to do much, has great hands and finishes well around the rim due to athleticism. I'm not hung up on offense like you are.
Meh BBIQ - Great analysis there Kingster. I wouldn't say his IQ is meh. He knows exactly what he can do and does exactly what's asked of him. Just because he's not Tim Duncan doesn't mean his BBIQ is meh. And contrary to what you believe, BBIQ is not just measured offensively. His defensive IQ is great, he doesn't bite on fakes and has a great understanding of defensive schemes.

MCW? I would hope we don't put in a PG in place of Thompson/Evans. Anyway, there won't be a slack if WCS is in the game instead of Thompson. It's not as if he gobbles up rebounds. Evans is a better rebounder obviously, but he's one of the best rebounders in the league. WCS brings far more to the table overall.

The absolute exaggeration you are making regarding his rebounding is quite sad ("Cousins might start to wonder if he is the only one on the floor who can rebound the ball.") :rolleyes:

We get that you don't value defense at all and just want three point shooters. But if you're suggesting we should draft another shooter after two straight years of drafting failed shooters, then I don't know what to tell you. We should pick up shooters in FA. We have an opportunity here to fix a massive hole defensively and a type of player that is very difficult to find. Yet because he's not an offensive stalwart, you want no part of him. Typical really.

You're not required to like WCS, obviously you're entitled to your opinion. But it would help to stop outright lying about him.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
You could fill Sleep Train for a year with the amount of misinformation in this post.

Mediocre rebounder - I doubt this, he has always played alongside multiple great rebounders. He will be a better rebounder in the NBA. Probably not elite, especially beside DeMarcus, but significantly better than mediocre.
Poor offensively - wasn't asked to do much, has great hands and finishes well around the rim due to athleticism. I'm not hung up on offense like you are.
Meh BBIQ - Great analysis there Kingster. I wouldn't say his IQ is meh. He knows exactly what he can do and does exactly what's asked of him. Just because he's not Tim Duncan doesn't mean his BBIQ is meh. And contrary to what you believe, BBIQ is not just measured offensively. His defensive IQ is great, he doesn't bite on fakes and has a great understanding of defensive schemes.

MCW? I would hope we don't put in a PG in place of Thompson/Evans. Anyway, there won't be a slack if WCS is in the game instead of Thompson. It's not as if he gobbles up rebounds. Evans is a better rebounder obviously, but he's one of the best rebounders in the league. WCS brings far more to the table overall.

The absolute exaggeration you are making regarding his rebounding is quite sad ("Cousins might start to wonder if he is the only one on the floor who can rebound the ball.") :rolleyes:

We get that you don't value defense at all and just want three point shooters. But if you're suggesting we should draft another shooter after two straight years of drafting failed shooters, then I don't know what to tell you. We should pick up shooters in FA. We have an opportunity here to fix a massive hole defensively and a type of player that is very difficult to find. Yet because he's not an offensive stalwart, you want no part of him. Typical really.

You're not required to like WCS, obviously you're entitled to your opinion. But it would help to stop outright lying about him.
So in rebounding, your opinion is he's not going to be a meh rebounder. Mine is that he is. We'll soon find out who is right. What do you think he'll average in the NBA - 3 rebs per minute, or closer to 4 per minute? If he's closer to 4/min then he's mediocre, right?

Fair enough on the offensive vs. defensive BBIQ. He's probably pretty good on his defensive IQ, so he gets a slight nod overall.

Now you're exaggerating about me not valuing defense. That's positively dishonest, dishonorable, and downright PDA like.

I like two-way players; not one-dimensional players. And because you seem challenged when it comes to interpreting what I say, two-way means offense and defense. I'm definitely biased against guys who can do one thing very well and are meh or poor in everything else. It inhibits your basketball team and your rotations and the flexibility a coach has when he has guys who can only do one thing.

Very good defender

Kings needs:

3 point shooting
BBIQ

Reggie:
Very good rebounder
Mediocre defender
Poor offensively
meh BBIQ

I like Reggie for his leadership and toughness, but right now he is a pathetic defender outside of anyone trying to bully him in the post. Check at http://stats.nba.com/playtype.

College DReb% for NBA leading defensive rebounders this year (at least 1000 minutes played):
Hassan Whiteside - 23.8
Deandre Jordan - 22.0
Demarcus Cousins - 24.8
Andre Drummond - 15.4
Andrew Bogut - 30.9
Kevin Love - 28.5
Nikola Vucevic - 25.6
Kosta Koufos - 15.6
Zach Randolph - 20.0
Carlos Boozer - 19.6
Looking at WCS, who had 17.3, doesn't look encouraging, right? Well, if you take guys, who spent a lot of time as a college PF (Drummond, Randolph and Boozer), it suddenly looks much better, considering WCS spent 90% of the time at PF.

As for offensive rebounding statistically it dropped to 11.1 OReb% this year, but there's only so much opportunities, given that other 3 main bigs have 13+ OReb%, and both guys, that were playing SF got 9+ OReb%.
College OReb% for NBA leading offensive rebounders this year (at least 1000 minutes played):
Andre Drummond - 14.2
Deandre Jordan - 11.5
Hassan Whiteside - 11.9
Tristan Thompson - 14.0
Ed Davis - 10.8
Lavoy Allen - 9.3
Tarik Black - 11.6
Robin Lopez - 12.5
Steven Adams - 15.3
Kenneth Faried - 20.0
Joakim Noah - 13.3 (10.9, 11.5 as frosh/soph)
John Henson - 9.0 (10.7, 12.7 as frosh/soph)

Demarcus Cousins - 19.8, while only 10.8% last year in the NBA

It's all numbers after all, that are tied not only to ability, but also to opportunity. While WCS is not a dominant rebounder, he is a good one: defensive rebounding depends heavily on a scheme, so when your big goes out to hedge and then recovers to contest, he is obviously out of position and it's the job of the other big/perimeter players to box out/rebound - no surprise, that all Kentucky forwards have 12+ DReb% and guards other than tiny Ulis have 8+ DReb%.
You also miss the fact, that this guy might have the best combination of mobility/length/no-step vertical in the NBA the moment he's drafted. When you add strength into conversation, he drops a bit, but still stays in the top-10. So with more space he will get bigger share of out of the area rebounds.

While Cal is good at preparing guys to be pros and setting them up for pre-draft process, he's pretty bad at actually developing prospects (at least Kentucky players with work ethic are improving a lot after leaving Lexington), so even as a junior WCS certainly has untapped potential left. WCS has shown, what he is able to do without packed paint:
  • cuts with one dribble towards the basket look like a very potent weapon with space available, given his speed and handles; short pullup jumper to counter packed paint looks solid, especially when he stops releasing it on his way down and/or off-balance
  • Willie is a very wide target close to the basket
  • because of these two possibilities, it's rather dangerous to double-team off of WCS
  • Willie will continue outrunning bigs, he guards, in transition at the next level as well, which will force the opposing team to either make a rotation inside from one of perimeter players in early offense, leaving someone open outside, or concede inside finish, and that will happen 10-12 times a game.
His highlights with some scoring on Noel and Mason Plumlee as a freshman
  • Willie started working on his jumper last off-season. It's nowhere near automatic, but it's coming along
As for intelligence and understanding of the game (at least on defensive end)
Some words from his coach, including the discussion of the disorder and changing his mentality this year:

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So in rebounding, your opinion is he's not going to be a meh rebounder. Mine is that he is. We'll soon find out who is right. What do you think he'll average in the NBA - 3 rebs per minute, or closer to 4 per minute? If he's closer to 4/min then he's mediocre, right?
That can't be what you meant to say. Did you mean the reciprocal of that? 3 minutes per rebound (12 per 36) vs. 4 minutes per rebound (9 per 36)?

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Fair enough on the offensive vs. defensive BBIQ. He's probably pretty good on his defensive IQ, so he gets a slight nod overall.

Now you're exaggerating about me not valuing defense. That's positively dishonest, dishonorable, and downright PDA like.

I like two-way players; not one-dimensional players. And because you seem challenged when it comes to interpreting what I say, two-way means offense and defense. I'm definitely biased against guys who can do one thing very well and are meh or poor in everything else. It inhibits your basketball team and your rotations and the flexibility a coach has when he has guys who can only do one thing.
If you haven't watched him play, and I've seen almost every televised game he's been in, then there's no need wasting my time talking to you. If you had watched him play, then you wouldn't be saying what your saying. Your like a lot of people. You think you can just look at stats and think you know everything you need to know about a player. There are circumstances surrounding a lot of his stats, and I don't have time to explain them to you, particularly since you'll just ignore them anyway. Interesting that most of the posters that are posting positive things about WCS are people that have seen him play. When you have a seven foot player that you can put on the perimeter to guard the other teams PG, and he shuts him down, just how do you put a value on that?

To me what the Kings have always needed next to Cousins was an athletic PF who could be a good weakside defender/shotblocker who was relatively low usage on offense. WCS is a near ideal fit, especially if he continues to work on his 15-18 foot jumper. One of the things the Kings have been among the worst in the NBA at is defending the pick and roll. For all of his positives this is still something Boogie struggles with. Cauley-Stein excels at it. He's also great in transition so he can run the floor and finish and if an easy look isn't there then he moves out to the high post and lets DMC work.

Yeah, I think the Kings need a stretch 4 (unless of course Rudy really is going to play a lot more minutes at PF) but very rarely do you want a stretch four being your starting four. And when you do, it's because they are guys like Nowitzki or Kevin Love. I like Kaminsky but it remains to be seen if he'll be at Ryno's level in the NBA. The hard part is that just like with Robin Lopez, the Kings HAD a stretch four developing in Patrick Patterson. But I digress.

I think (barring a top 3 pick) you draft Cauley-Stein and pick up a stretch four in free agency if you want one. Lots of tall, soft bigs that can shoot from outside to round out a roster. But in the starting lineup I want a rugged defender at PF with Boogie, Gay and at least one backcourt player doing the scoring.

I like the guy but I can't be down with leaving that kind of talent on the board at 6-8. I've seen him go as high as 5 on some mocks but he's probably a better overall fit for another team around the Kings area. Maybe they can trade down to nab him?

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Every player in basketball needs the ball in his hands to be totally effective. It's just that some are more effective than others with the ball in their hands. Don't know how much you watched Kaminsky play, but he wasn't a ball dominate player. Very unselfish player who only took what the defense gave him. He's know for being a good outside shooter, and he is, but he scored something like 70 percent of his points in the post. He's sort of a crafty post player using up and under's and good footwork.

Every player in basketball needs the ball in his hands to be totally effective. It's just that some are more effective than others with the ball in their hands. Don't know how much you watched Kaminsky play, but he wasn't a ball dominate player. Very unselfish player who only took what the defense gave him. He's know for being a good outside shooter, and he is, but he scored something like 70 percent of his points in the post. He's sort of a crafty post player using up and under's and good footwork.
Wisconsin ran a lot of offense through Kaminsky sort of like how Memphis uses Gasol. I just don't think Kaminsky would be as effective on this team as he would be on another because he most likely won't touch the ball at all in many possessions. We'd probably use him primarily as a floor stretcher.

I like him overall, but I don't like him on this team. Telling a Nik to stand by the 3pt line entire games would most likely be what Kamisnky is doing unless he's closing in for rebounds.

Unfortunately it's not a staple of Karl's offense but I could see Cousins & Kaminsky running the two man game similar to what Webb and Peja did. Except in this case the outside shooter could also score in the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.