California Classic Game 1 Kings versus Warriors 7/1/19

I don’t even think Guy looked that bad. Some jitters at the beginning but came back in and settled down. He had a few nifty passes in traffic, he clearly has good vision. People keep comparing him to Jimmer when Guy is easily more athletic than him, Jimmer looked very mechanical out there while Guy looked pretty fluid. It’s his first game at the next level, he looked pretty in control most of the game outside of the first couple of minutes.
Size just isn't there. Handle is average at best. Average playmaker, cant defend at this level.

If he were 6'4 to 6'7 and could shoot like he does i'd see some kind of bench potential.

Size just isn't there. Handle is average at best. Average playmaker, cant defend at this level.

If he were 6'4 to 6'7 and could shoot like he does i'd see some kind of bench potential.
His handles looked pretty good to me, he only fumbled the ball once on his very first play of the game. His second turnover was a miscommunication where Swanigan started to cut when Guy drove and passed it out to him. The third turnover wasn't really his fault, he received a bad pass and caught it falling out of bounds, darted it to Swanigan under the hoop who nearly had it. The final turnover was just him shuffling his feet before he started a dribble to the hoop, something that happens regularly in the NBA as well.

Outside of the first turnover I never saw him fumble the ball again, and he was pressed full court a few times. His handles, at least from what I've seen up to this point, are at least above average. He got by his man a few times and made quick passes while in the lane, had a couple of really nice ones where they either missed the three or missed the dunk. His vision is actually quite good and his passes were all on target except for his second turnover, and a full court pass that was slightly tipped but his target still received it.

His defense was up and down, lost his man a few times, but for the most part he fought hard and would fight through the screens. He could improve here but it's only his first game at this level.

It's only his first game, I can't say what he will or won't be based off of one game. All I can say is that I like what I see so far.

After who we just picked up that play the same position well Giles has to wonder where he fits in the pecking order.
Plus I see some players that may just not be around by the end of the year as I think was the case in Barnes last year some changes are still to come depending on how we play before the deadline.
Really? You think Harry is wondering where his place is? Bah. Special players don’t fear competition; they eat it for breakfast. And Harry is a special player.

Swanigan did not look very promising.....
Every time he's mentioned it's followed up with "all he has to do is lose 60 or 70 pounds"... I'm sorry but there is no excuse for this guy not to be in great shape at this point. You're a fringe guy who has unlimited access to a state of the art training facility, an elite training staff to your disposal and a personal chef/dietitian. Oh and you also have that small little incentive of becoming a multi-f'ing-millionaire for playing a sport. lol I don't get it.

It is easy to see Guy, Gabriel and James getting some minutes this year.
Swanigen is an example of a player that has not kept himself ready for his opportunity.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I thought Guy looked better than Justin. But I could not get over how small Justin looked. He is listed 6'7"? When I saw that size on paper I thought "oh ok - that's a good size for a wing player with high IQ". But he looks the size of a 1/2 combo guard, not a 2/3 - no way I could see that slight frame guarding ANY SF in the league.

But I hope Kyle Guy sticks.
Don't disagree that he's on the slight side, but I had great seats down low and he looked every bit of 6'7" to me. Besides if you look up the Portsmouth measurements where they did the same measurements as the combine, he was 6' 7". During the warm ups he was standing there with his arm around Guy and he looked to be a good 5 inches taller.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't think Sportrac is up to date. I don't have a link but I saw something about last week indicating that we had released Troy Williams (which is why he's not on SL with us) and that Gabriel was under 2-way for another year.
Yep your right, the Kings gave Williams his release, and yes, Gabriel has another year on his two way deal. I'm sure he's hoping to upgrade that to a NBA contract.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
After who we just picked up that play the same position well Giles has to wonder where he fits in the pecking order.
Plus I see some players that may just not be around by the end of the year as I think was the case in Barnes last year some changes are still to come depending on how we play before the deadline.
Giles is going nowhere, but the organization doesn't want to rush him either. You'll notice that most of the contracts are for two years, or have a 3rd year buyout. The thinking is that by that time both Bagley and Giles will be ready to take the reigns.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Every time he's mentioned it's followed up with "all he has to do is lose 60 or 70 pounds"... I'm sorry but there is no excuse for this guy not to be in great shape at this point. You're a fringe guy who has unlimited access to a state of the art training facility, an elite training staff to your disposal and a personal chef/dietitian. Oh and you also have that small little incentive of becoming a multi-f'ing-millionaire for playing a sport. lol I don't get it.
The team was playing at a fast pace, and Swanigan struggled to play at that speed. He looked like a B-52 bomber being buzzed by jet fighters. If retained, which is questionable, he'll likely spend a lot of time in the G-League.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Thought Gabriel was terrific last night. He rebounded in and out of his area. Ran the P&R very well, and played excellent defense. The entire team got better when he was on the floor. Needs to work on his 3 pt shot, but other than that, I thought he was outstanding. I thought Guy played well once he got passed early game jitters. He needs to tighten up his handles a bit, but I don't think their a liability right now. I would have liked to see a bit more of James, but thought in general, he played well. He showed a lot of promise on the defensive side. Not bad for the first game.

I hope our new guys have a good game tonight as Guy said everything is a little faster and the lingo is much different.

Man is got to be exciting for the new players

Don't disagree that he's on the slight side, but I had great seats down low and he looked every bit of 6'7" to me. Besides if you look up the Portsmouth measurements where they did the same measurements as the combine, he was 6' 7". During the warm ups he was standing there with his arm around Guy and he looked to be a good 5 inches taller.
Maybe you’re right and it’s just that he’s lean.

Now you know a lot of stuff - can you tell me do the Kings control Christon? Or can another team come along and grab him? He can ball.

Also - it looks to me like Kyle Guy defends bigger than I would expect. He holds his own - is that real? Maybe I’m tripping. I love Kyle Guy and Christon!

Maybe you’re right and it’s just that he’s lean.

Now you know a lot of stuff - can you tell me do the Kings control Christon? Or can another team come along and grab him? He can ball.

Also - it looks to me like Kyle Guy defends bigger than I would expect. He holds his own - is that real? Maybe I’m tripping. I love Kyle Guy and Christon!
Remember that Guy played for Virginia. If you don't play defense at Virginia, you don't play. Players who come outof Virginia or Villanova always seem to know how to play the game on both sides of the court (coaching makes a difference).