California Classic Day 2

well, a rough one for our prospects tonight.

Davion "have you heard what time this guy gets to the gym?" Mitchell shot poorly and wasn't really a factor.
Woodard- really struggles doing anything after he dribbles in the paint.
Ramsey- nothing really
Queta- started well and then didn't really do anything. Looked awkward on the boards and will need to get much stronger.

Doesn't really mean much obviously but did make for boring basketball :D

Good effort defensively and I look forward to more organized games. I don't love watching pickup style hoops.

See, that's what Woodard's offensive game needs to be right now. Quick power dribble to the rim, use your strength, draw the contact. One move and go, he has no dribble package.
That was his knock coming out of college. Now is where as a coach you have to take a step back on the improvement areas and put them in a position to succeed. Treat him like the stretch 4 he is. Spot him up and let him catch and shoot. Both he and King are shaky ball handlers, and right now Woodard has to find a role. King is kind of finding his way as that attack combo F. Stretch 4 it is for Woodard.

Davion "have you heard what time this guy gets to the gym?" Mitchell shot poorly and wasn't really a factor.
Ramsey- nothing really
Queta- started well and then didn't really do anything. Looked awkward on the boards and will need to get much stronger.

Good effort defensively and I look forward to more organized games. I don't love watching pickup style hoops.
probably why we shouldnt get too hyped about 2nd rounders or too down if we trade them away for players who can actually play in the league

Ramsey- nothing really

Queta is going to have a rough road in the modern game if he's expected to just defend. The Lakers started to put him in high middle and he struggled as most slower, traditional shotblockers coming out of college do. This is where I do hope Monte does understand the college game and NBA are different? Overall he's just getting his feet wet. They can't seem to find any offense how about we see that pick and pop game he has shown? That will help keep the paint a little less crowded.

probably why we shouldnt get too hyped about 2nd rounders or too down if we trade them away for players who can actually play in the league
and don't get me wrong, I love Queta and think he will be a good back up in the league. I am more concerned with Woodard because defensively he has what we need so I hope his offense comes around.

and don't get me wrong, I love Queta and think he will be a good back up in the league. I am more concerned with Woodard because defensively he has what we need so I hope his offense comes around.
It's just a tough road when players like Hassan Whiteside and Andre Drummond are literally minimum level players. Things are just so F'd these days it's unreal. But, so much wiser to draft size like that in the 2nd than the 1st.

Last edited:
Mitchell: Fairly rough game overall, didn't look comfortable creating on offense. Thankfully, I don't think we'll have to rely on his playmaking much this year as he should be getting most of his run with Fox and/or Hali. Defensive pressure was still excellent though and didn't see the Lakers look to attack him at all. Got a feeling that's going to be a constant this year. Looks real good getting to the rim and finishing.

Grade: C-

King: Woah. Offensive on-ball scoring? Several shots that looked very "KD-esq" out there where he just shot right over the top after a dribble move. Active on defense, his length and athleticism plays well on that end of the floor. Potential 2-way find.

Grade: A

Woodard:
Offense: Woof. Very mechanical, not comfortable at all with his C&S opportunities, doesn't have a tight handle. Had a really great power move to the rim at the end of the game and drew the contact. Needs to really focus in the corner 3 (ala PJ Tucker) and become a lights out shooter if he wants to stick. There's some good passing ability and had a few nice plays within the flow of the offense, but he's not a playmaker.
Defense: Very nice. Was super active on defense, his size/strength/length really bothered the Lakers. I think he's probably a 4 at this point with the ability to not get toasted on the perimeter by other 4's and switchable onto guards when the situation calls for it. King looks to be far more suited to be a perimeter defender than Woodard.

Grade: D+ Considered a C, but his offense was just so bad, that even a strong defensive game wasn't enough to up the grade

Terry: Another really nice surprise performance doing his best Richaun Holmes impression out there. Just out-working/out-hustling everyone on the floor, rim runs hard and puts himself in good positions to be impactful. Thought he struggled a bit in PnR defense and did get bullied on occasion on the defensive glass. Absolutely earned himself more opportunities to see how he looks vs. better comp

Grade: B+

Ramsey: Eerily similar to last season when he got run, but just disappeared into the back-ground and didn't affect the game on either end. Had a few nice possessions of defensive pressure and a little mid-range jumper. Bricked two Wide-open 3's that he has to hit as a "shooter". He's probably the guy I'm most worried about of our prospects; needs to really show out in Vegas.

Grade: D

Queta: Looks absolutely huge out there with surprisingly good athleticism for a guy his size. Appreciated how hard he ran and was absolutely giving effort on both ends. Couple nice finishes in the PnR on offense and garbage duty dunks. Still very raw, but it's hard to not be excited about the tools and his effort if you coach him up right.

Grade: C

Everyone else: Who cares?

Grade: Who cares?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It's just a tough road when players like Hassan Whiteside and Andre Drummond are literally minimum level players. Things are just so F'd these days it's unreal. But, so much wiser to draft size like that in the 2nd than the 1st.
It is insane. Queta would have been a mid-lotto guy not even a decade ago. Things have changed fast and hard.

Queta is going to have a rough road in the modern game if he's expected to just defend. The Lakers started to put him in high middle and he struggled as most slower, traditional shotblockers coming out of college do. This is where I do hope Monte does understand the college game and NBA are different? Overall he's just getting his feet wet. They can't seem to find any offense how about we see that pick and pop game he has shown? That will help keep the paint a little less crowded.
I think we need some patience here with Queta, he had 1 single practice of 5-0 since he arrived unlike all the others, he has a decent shooting touch and is a very smart passers for his size, give him some time and practice and he'll be fine.

Mitchell: Fairly rough game overall, didn't look comfortable creating on offense. Thankfully, I don't think we'll have to rely on his playmaking much this year as he should be getting most of his run with Fox and/or Hali. Defensive pressure was still excellent though and didn't see the Lakers look to attack him at all. Got a feeling that's going to be a constant this year. Looks real good getting to the rim and finishing.

King: Woah. Offensive on-ball scoring? Several shots that looked very "KD-esq" out there where he just shot right over the top after a dribble move. Active on defense, his length and athleticism plays well on that end of the floor. Potential 2-way find.

Woodard: Offense: Woof. Very mechanical, not comfortable at all with his C&S opportunities, doesn't have a tight handle. Had a really great power move to the rim at the end of the game and drew the contact. Needs to really focus in the corner 3 (ala PJ Tucker) and become a lights out shooter if he wants to stick. There's some good passing ability and had a few nice plays within the flow of the offense, but he's not a playmaker.
Defense: Very nice. Was super active on defense, his size/strength/length really bothered the Lakers. I think he's probably a 4 at this point with the ability to not get toasted on the perimeter by other 4's and switchable onto guards when the situation calls for it. King looks to be far more suited to be a perimeter defender than Woodard.

Grade: D+ Considered a C, but his offense was just so bad, that even a strong defensive game wasn't enough to up the grade

Terry: Another really nice surprise performance doing his best Richaun Holmes impression out there. Just out-working/out-hustling everyone on the floor, rim runs hard and puts himself in good positions to be impactful. Thought he struggled a bit in PnR defense and did get bullied on occasion on the defensive glass. Absolutely earned himself more opportunities to see how he looks vs. better comp

Ramsey: Eerily similar to last season when he got run, but just disappeared into the back-ground and didn't affect the game on either end. Had a few nice possessions of defensive pressure and a little mid-range jumper. Bricked two Wide-open 3's that he has to hit as a "shooter". He's probably the guy I'm most worried about of our prospects; needs to really show out in Vegas.

Queta: Looks absolutely huge out there with surprisingly good athleticism for a guy his size. Appreciated how hard he ran and was absolutely giving effort on both ends. Couple nice finishes in the PnR on offense and garbage duty dunks. Still very raw, but it's hard to not be excited about the tools and his effort if you coach him up right.

I wouldn't be too concerned about Ramsey yet. He's still the youngest player on the Kings even after this recent draft. They need to look at this as a long term project and the upside is there. The one decent middle pick and roll double screen they ran freed him up to shoot the way he can. More of that please Bobby.

I wouldn't be too concerned about Ramsey yet. He's still the youngest player on the Kings even after this recent draft. They need to look at this as a long term project and the upside is there. The one decent middle pick and roll double screen they ran freed him up to shoot the way he can. More of that please Bobby.
yeah and first game jitters too. Also, a lot of these dudes just haven't played organized basketball a whole lot over the last year and a half. There's going to be expected rust.

Woodard: Offense: Woof. Very mechanical, not comfortable at all with his C&S opportunities, doesn't have a tight handle. Had a really great power move to the rim at the end of the game and drew the contact. Needs to really focus in the corner 3 (ala PJ Tucker) and become a lights out shooter if he wants to stick. There's some good passing ability and had a few nice plays within the flow of the offense, but he's not a playmaker.

Mitchell has some tools but for this year unless the shooting gets better he is going to be a step back from Wright and may have a fight with Davis for time.

as a small market team we better find some rotation guys in the 2nd round. Queta has a shot.
true, but i expect the 2nd rounders to play a year or 2 in the g-league before we really see what we have. I dont expect them to start or even come off the bench much their first year.

Mitchell has some tools but for this year unless the shooting gets better he is going to be a step back from Wright and may have a fight with Davis for time.
i agree. i think we were spoiled by how well haliburton did and expect a higher pick to be even better. That great start from last night's game didnt do much to temper expectations. gotta expect some duds to go with good games. hopefully he has more of the latter than the former

Perhaps based on experience and size. We have to see how Luke uses him. Summer league is a cluster when it comes to offense for this franchise. Every year they seem to be the team farther behind everyone when it comes to trying to win but they are also actually trying to see these players in relation to their needed improvement areas. They are clearly putting Woodard in a position to create since that's his main weakness and he's suffering right now. Summer league is a place where you can run zone, zone, zone, and more zone and totally lock down a team. During the regular season the floor will open up, players will slack on defense, etc.

i agree. i think we were spoiled by how well haliburton did and expect a higher pick to be even better. That great start from last night's game didnt do much to temper expectations. gotta expect some duds to go with good games. hopefully he has more of the latter than the former
Haliburton is a glue player who does everything well so him fitting in isn't difficult. I will say, he doesn't have anything close to the hesitation move Mitchell does with the ball. On the flipside Mitchell really plays more like a small SG than PG at this point. Like a combo G that leans more towards SG I guess.

Doubtful. As rough as his offensive game was tonight, the dude is just dynamite on defense. Guards are scared to go at his ball pressure. Offenses just aren't running their PnR sets at him very often. He's incredibly disruptive and I think he'll be defending the best opposing guard on the floor at all times in his 26-28 MPG.

The beauty is I think he's going to be primarily be a secondary playmaker for almost all his minutes while he develops his playmaking. He's going to be playing a majority of his time next to Fox or Hali. And right now he's just blowing by dudes in the PnR and has looked really damn good finishing at the rim among the trees. I'd be more worried if we were going to have to rely on him to be that lead creator for 35 MPG, but thankfully that's not our situation at all. This seems like an ideal landing spot for him to succeed early.

So it's: Defend the best guard, be a scoring finisher on offense, chip in with playmaking/ball-handling when needed. I'll be interested to see some more C&S 3 opportunities and what he looks like playing with the Fox/Hali. Right now, basically everything is off the bounce. He looked great shooting game 1, was off tonight.

I don't think people should expect too much from Queeta. He's athletic, long, and can block shots, but that's about it.

Here's what I saw out of him at Utah State:
Strengths:
  • Length- he's 7'0 with a great wingspan
  • Athleticism - good mobility and can play above the rim. he covers a lot of ground in a short amount of time
  • Shot blocking - he uses his athleticism and timing to protect the rim
  • Some passing potential - had the instincts, but was slow in processing and executing
  • Intensity - can't complain about the motor
  • Willing mid-range shooter - not a good shooter, but he's showing the willingness to take it
Weaknesses:
  • Poor rebounder - doesn't box out and prefers to jump up for rebounds
  • Lack of strength - gets moved surprisingly easily by wings and bigger guards. Will also struggle against legitimate Cs in the paint.
  • Perimeter defense - doesn't offer much there, very flat footed despite his leaping abilities
  • Questionable IQ - I mentioned passing potential above, but he processes things very slow and has poor overall decision making
  • PnR screening - WCS-like where it's very soft and he rolls before he even fully sets it
  • RAW - despite being a 3-year player, he's more of a project
I don't see him contributing heavily this year. I'd say maybe 10-15mins, depending on how the rest of our big men rotation shapes up. I see him more as a project player who can offer a burst of energy in a short stint. Play him too much and you'll see all the weaknesses in his game start to get exploited. Don't want to sound too negative, but he's got solid potential due to his athleticism. There's some untapped potential in there.