[Game] Bucks @ Kings, Friday Jan. 10, 7 PM PT/10 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Walton doesn't have a lot of options right now. You seem to delight in pointing out what he's done wrong but I haven't seen much talk of what he could do better. Giles is a walking foul machine. Bogs is out. Bags is out. Holmes is out. Buddy arguably should be out. JJ, Guy and Yogi aren't game changers. Bjeli, Fox, Ariza, Barnes and CoJo round out our available players.
P.S. And we're playing the best team in the league right now. Walton isn't a miracle worker. And, contrary to what you seem to think, Luke doesn't draw up plays for every second of the game. The players are actually expected to read the court and (to quote Jerry) take what the defense gives them. It's not Walton's fault if they can't figure it out.

Walton doesn't have a lot of options right now. You seem to delight in pointing out what he's done wrong but I haven't seen much talk of what he could do better. Giles is a walking foul machine. Bogs is out. Bags is out. Holmes is out. Buddy arguably should be out. JJ, Guy and Yogi aren't game changers. Bjeli, Fox, Ariza, Barnes and CoJo round out our available players.
Again, these are problems from a strategic point of view that have gone on beyond just this game. This is indicative of a bigger problem For this game though, 1. Play small when they go small. Don't wait, go immediately. 2. Spread the floor as best you can and give the middle to Fox. 3. The big needs to pop on the pick and roll. 4. Look for Buddy off the ball on a catch and shoot. 5. If the interior is there give it to Barnes and work out from there.

P.S. And we're playing the best team in the league right now. Walton isn't a miracle worker. And, contrary to what you seem to think, Luke doesn't draw up plays for every second of the game. The players are actually expected to read the court and (to quote Jerry) take what the defense gives them. It's not Walton's fault if they can't figure it out.
The Bucks aren’t even playing close to their “A” game tonight.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Again, these are problems from a strategic point of view that have gone on beyond just this game. This is indicative of a bigger problem For this game though, 1. Play small when they go small. Don't wait, go immediately. 2. Spread the floor as best you can and give the middle to Fox. 3. The big needs to pop on the pick and roll. 4. Look for Buddy off the ball on a catch and shoot. 5. If the interior is there give it to Barnes and work out from there.
Fair points in the abstract but I'm just focusing on tonight for now. #3 and #4 are problematic for obvious reasons.

Fair points in the abstract but I'm just focusing on tonight for now. #3 and #4 are problematic for obvious reasons.
Dedmon isn't hitting tonight, but with he and Bjelica on paper you plenty of pop potential. In fact, that's their game. If they flop then yes, tough deal but tonight it's the best shot you had so it is what it is. Walton consistently has Buddy on the ball too much for my liking. It's a lot like having Bjelica inside and Giles out. Fox is mostly an inside player and Buddy is mostly out. Playing to your players strengths makes a world of difference. Giles starting inside in the 2nd half and letting Bjelica stretch was a good move and common sense thinking.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Dedmon isn't hitting tonight, but with he and Bjelica on paper you plenty of pop potential. In fact, that's their game. If they flop then yes, tough deal but tonight it's the best shot you had so it is what it is. Walton consistently has Buddy on the ball too much for my liking. It's a lot like having Bjelica inside and Giles out. Fox is mostly an inside player and Buddy is mostly out. Playing to your players strengths makes a world of difference. Giles starting inside in the 2nd half and letting Bjelica stretch was a good move and common sense thinking.
You don't win on paper. You win with what happens on the court and your ability to adjust. As I said, your #3 and #4 are problematic TONIGHT and it's the game TONIGHT that Walton has to deal with.

I would make every player do practices focused solely on driving inside to draw fouls. Bjeli, Barnes and Fox are the only ones who seem to not be afraid of contact.
Haha, it's because they have the skills needed. I want the other players learning to stay the heck out of the way so those players can get more calls themselves. Barnes, Fox, and Bagley are probably the limit for this team in terms of where the foul line is going to represent a decent percentage of their points per game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Grant just challenged "worse"? WTG Grant. I now fully expect a sinkhole to open up under the Kings bench that will swallow up the whole team, coaching staff, and numerous innocent bystanders.

You don't win on paper. You win with what happens on the court and your ability to adjust. As I said, your #3 and #4 are problematic TONIGHT and it's the game TONIGHT that Walton has to deal with.
Walton watched the Bucks go small and immediately bury him. That's on him injuries or not since we've seen much worse teams do the same thing when he's had a full or nearly full compliment of players at his disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.