Bluthenthal and Minard

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Tonight Blu only played only 6 minutes and only in the first half and did virtually nothing. His defensive weakness was a bit glaring. Evans replaced him and did really well. Tho Blu is a shooter (vs Peja who is a scorer) his other attributes seem to be overshadowing that.

Minard has not been doing well at all in any game. Last night he seemed a bit hard-headed trying to drive every time without any luck much less success.

Since both are under contract, the next 3 days of practice will be interesting in view of the good showing from Evans and Barnes tho neither has much of an offensive game, yet. Nobody else has much offensive skills either. Soooo, the Kings may have a problem.

Barnes is much like Corliss Williamson, a banger, rebounder, active body near the basket but not much of a threat more than 6-8 ft away.

Maybe Erik Daniels.... :confused: gads, I have no clue now...

CruzDude said:
Barnes is much like Corliss Williamson, a banger, rebounder, active body near the basket but not much of a threat more than 6-8 ft away.
he also does a pretty good job at setting up others up on offense as well.

So far Barnes has shown me a lot more than Bluthenthal. He hustles, has a nose for the ball, and has a pass-first mentality which on this team is a must since whoever we sign is going to be the fourth or fifth option on the floor at any given time (I'm looking at you, Minard!).

Ferguson looks like he could be an awesome shotblocker if he'd only bulk up to the point where I didn't fear for his life every time he ventured into the paint.

Evans did pretty well tonight, not exactly impressive but he didn't seem to hurt us when he was in the game.

As far as Bluth vs. Minard, I just hate Minard's Iversonesque game, and to top it off, he's not really that good at it. Sure he can get to the hoop, but if you can't finish, so what? Bluth's shooting slump is coming at a terrible time, but I'd still pick him over Minard at this point.

Basically Barnes has impressed me the most of any of our guys except Martin, demonstrating the ability to actually run the offense, which could be valuable playing with the second unit. Bobby creates mostly for himself, so imagine Barnes (eventually) running the half-court with Songaila, Tag, Martin, and Jackson.

I dunno, just thinking out loud. :)
~~

CruzDude said:
Tonight Blu only played only 6 minutes and only in the first half and did virtually nothing. His defensive weakness was a bit glaring. Evans replaced him and did really well. Tho Blu is a shooter (vs Peja who is a scorer) his other attributes seem to be overshadowing that.

Minard has not been doing well at all in any game. Last night he seemed a bit hard-headed trying to drive every time without any luck much less success.

Since both are under contract, the next 3 days of practice will be interesting in view of the good showing from Evans and Barnes tho neither has much of an offensive game, yet. Nobody else has much offensive skills either. Soooo, the Kings may have a problem.

Maybe Erik Daniels.... :confused: gads, I have no clue now...
Minard didn't even play last night so I'm not really sure who you were referring to. Anyway, My guess is that Barnes, Minard, either Parada or Ford and Evans make the team. That puts the Kings at 13 which is were they want to be. I think it's too early to give up on Minard and Evans looks like he has some skills.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Evansdid impress me last night but that is one game. Lets see how hae and Daniels do over all. I Suspect they will keep Prada as an emergency big man, but when Tag is healthy, I suspect Prada will b released.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Remarkable preseason stat of the day:

Adam Parada has played 59 minutes over 5 games.

He is shooting 1-15 from the field.

He has scored 3 pts in 59 minutes.

He has racked up 17 fouls in 59 minutes.

Please lord, do not force us to play Adam Parada in a regular season game. I'll do anything. I'll swear off chocolate. Well, for an afternoon at least. ;)

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
Remarkable preseason stat of the day:

Adam Parada has played 59 minutes over 5 games.

He is shooting 1-15 from the field.

He has scored 3 pts in 59 minutes.

He has racked up 17 fouls in 59 minutes.

Please lord, do not force us to play Adam Parada in a regular season game. I'll do anything. I'll swear off chocolate. Well, for an afternoon at least. ;)
And suddenly my desire to Keep the tragicly flawed Fergison makes more sense.

CruzDude

bibbyweb said:
Fergusson is better than Parada. I fail to understand why they would select Parada over him.
Fergusson is 7ft and weighs 200 lb. Parada is 7 ft and weighs 270 lb and is a back to the basket center. At least he can clog the center but Anwar would be a piece of wheat in the wind. Sure he can block a shot or two but we need a "presence" in the middle. Not sure either is much of a scorer tho'

Ryle said:
Because he sucks worse than Parada AND Ferguson
That's a little harsh. Jabari is a small forward trapped in a center's body. I don't think he provided the D or rebounding the Kings were looking for. I'm not sure the Kings needed another 6-11 guy shooting elbow jumpers. However, he has managed to stay in the league for a couple years. I'm not so sure we will be saying the same thing about Parada and Ferguson.

Parada is HORRIBLE as far as offense goes. He makes Scott Pollard look like Hakeem. Ferguson is just too damn skinny and one dimensional IMO.

I haven't seen a single Kings' preseason game, but from reading various comments on this board, it sounds as if Barnes should be the clear choice over Bluthenthal at this point. To me, I'd much prefer a guy that struggles a bit offensively but that does the little things well as Peja's backup --- the Kings have plenty of guys that can score, and as long as Bibby, BJax, Miller and/or Webber are on the floor when Peja is not, I think the offense would be fine.

CruzDude said:
Fergusson is 7ft and weighs 200 lb. Parada is 7 ft and weighs 270 lb and is a back to the basket center. At least he can clog the center but Anwar would be a piece of wheat in the wind. Sure he can block a shot or two but we need a "presence" in the middle. Not sure either is much of a scorer tho'
And I agree that his 200 pound 7ft frame would not be able to withstand much. But I also doubt if Parada would be able to perform better than him. Fergusson can be expected to develop in the future. He atleast seemed to have some talent.

CruzDude

Marty McNeal this morning is saying Blu and Minard, both with partial guarantees on their contracts, "need to pick up their production". As I saw in several of the games, Evans and Barnes have definitely played better than Blu and Minard as has Daniels. Blu is the 3pt shooter the Kings need but has yet to show much else and is not making his shots yet.

So, after Kevin Martin (6'7" and 185 lb) if we add Evans (6'5"), Barnes (6'7") and Daniels (6'8") we become a very short team with only Miller and Tag as "big men". An awfull lot of teams have 6-10 and 6-11 small forwards coming off the bench who can shoot outside. Barnes is not an outside shooter and Evans is only becoming one and Kevin hesitates on any shot beyond about 15ft.

So maybe we don't have on the preseason team what we need to begin the season and Petrie begins working the "waiver wire".

CruzDude said:
Blu is the 3pt shooter the Kings need but has yet to show much else and is not making his shots yet.
If all you do is shot 3pts. then you need to do it well! So, based on what I've seen Blu is not going to make the cut. If you don't play D, rebound, pass well, and your not making your shots then why exactly would you be on the team?

I think Daniels has pretty good potential, i'd like to see him get some minutes at the backup SF spot after Barnes, He hustles, hes quick and he can pass great.