Bibby's Playing Like He Doesn't Want Trade

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Is it a coincidence? Is it the subconcious mind at work? Is it the conscious mind at work? Bibby doesn't want to move his family to sub-zero weather Cleveland. Who would? Bibby is playing lousy. If Bibby plays lousy, then who, including Cleveland, would want to trade for him? There's no way for anyone to know whether Bibby is doing this on purpose, but it sure plays to his advantage; that's for sure. And from all the selfish, arrogant acts done by Bibby in the past, would it surprise me that in the small crevices of his mind Bibby is rebelling against the notion of playing hard for the team that doesn't "want him"? No, it would not.

Last edited:
Or maybe he wants off this team and is stinking it up as a way or rebelling. Or maybe he feels like the Lottery is the way to go, and is doing everything he can to take us there. Or maybe the coaching staff stupidly over estimated his abilities off the dribble, and now we're all paying for it. Or…

Thought this from the Philly Inquirer's Sunday NBA column was interesting:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16674452.htm
Kings' Bibby threatens to stay put

Nice shot across the bow by Mike Bibby's agent, David Falk, this week. On second thought, Falk told the Sacramento Bee, Bibby might not opt out of the last two years of his contract, which are to pay him $13.5 million in 2007-08 and $14.5 million the following season.
You'd think that would be good news for Sacramento.
Problem is, the Kings were not only expecting Bibby to opt out, sources maintain they were hoping he'd opt out. If Bibby opted out and became a free agent, and Sacramento subsequently renounced his rights, the Kings would have less than $38 million committed to player salaries next season - and become a major player in free agency and possible trades.
It's more likely that Falk was sending the Kings a clear message: Move Bibby to a contender now, or you'll be paying for it for two more soul-sapping seasons... .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yeah, this is more along the lines of the way a guy plays when he DOES want out. Or in this case I suspect more if he thinks he IS out and its distracting and hard to muster much if any "all for one" team spirit. Looks depressed and distracted out there.

Everything that I have EVER read or seen in Mike Bibby has shown that he is a proud person. I do not believe his sub-par season is on purpose in any way - consciencely or subconsciously. We all know that he is not having a season that is indicative of his talent or career. It has simply been a bad season. Most are aware that this is a business. Many keep saying that over and over. I think that he has contributed MUCH to this "business" and one bad season does not make him or his contract an albatross. I feel that he still has much to contribute to the NBA in general and the Kings specifically.

If a trade that would make us considerably better, of course you have to do it. If it is just a lateral move, or "possibly" could make us better in a few seasons, I would have to think a LONG time about it and am not sure that I would want it to happen. I like Bibby. He has had a rough season, no doubt, but I do not think that is permanent.

As for the article from Philly - :rolleyes: it does not really impress me at all. I did not get that from his agents statements at all. Soul - sucking seasons:rolleyes: oh brother!

Yeah, this is more along the lines of the way a guy plays when he DOES want out. Or in this case I suspect more if he thinks he IS out and its distracting and hard to muster much if any "all for one" team spirit. Looks depressed and distracted out there.

That could be true. I guess we will know for sure in a week or so.

Is it a coincidence? Is it the subconcious mind at work? Is it the conscious mind at work? Bibby doesn't want to move his family to sub-zero weather Cleveland. Who would? Bibby is playing lousy. If Bibby plays lousy, then who, including Cleveland, would want to trade for him? There's no way for anyone to know whether Bibby is doing this on purpose, but it sure plays to his advantage; that's for sure. And from all the selfish, arrogant acts done by Bibby in the past, would it surprise me that in the small crevices of his mind Bibby is rebelling against the notion of playing hard for the team that doesn't "want him"? No, it would not.
Miami really wants him, why wouldn't he want to go to Miami? Miami is an awesome city.

So basically you're saying he's pulling a Vince Carter on us?:(

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
So basically you're saying he's pulling a Vince Carter on us?:(
No, Vince played like **** on PURPOSE to force a trade. He's a miserable turd and I've already told the Nets that they might as well quit sending me "wanna come see us play" mail until he is gone. Mike's not tanking, unless it be a bizarre full season tank. He just looks like he knows what is up. More of a Peja syndrome than anything else, but Peja actually wanted to go and was just being held hostage because Geoff could not bear the pain of parting. Similar thing though. Natural human reaction to pull back.

Do find it oddly reassuring though that the last of the golden era Kings has apparently lost the power struggle and is going to be out the door. I feel much MUCH better with proven winners like Ron, Muss, Kevin, Reef, KT, Salmons etc. taking over for all those Adelman era losers. :rolleyes:

Everything that I have EVER read or seen in Mike Bibby has shown that he is a proud person. I do not believe his sub-par season is on purpose in any way - consciencely or subconsciously. We all know that he is not having a season that is indicative of his talent or career. It has simply been a bad season. Most are aware that this is a business. Many keep saying that over and over. I think that he has contributed MUCH to this "business" and one bad season does not make him or his contract an albatross. I feel that he still has much to contribute to the NBA in general and the Kings specifically.

If a trade that would make us considerably better, of course you have to do it. If it is just a lateral move, or "possibly" could make us better in a few seasons, I would have to think a LONG time about it and am not sure that I would want it to happen. I like Bibby. He has had a rough season, no doubt, but I do not think that is permanent.

As for the article from Philly - :rolleyes: it does not really impress me at all. I did not get that from his agents statements at all. Soul - sucking seasons:rolleyes: oh brother!
Chelle, thank you for that. I have been feeling nobody felt my pain regarding Mike. I feel the exact same way

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Maybe so....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Chelle, thank you for that. I have been feeling nobody felt my pain regarding Mike. I feel the exact same way
Add me to the list. You're not alone. It really breaks my heart to see some of the speculation about Bibby on this board. I agree wholeheartedly with chelle's assessment...

Add me to the list. You're not alone. It really breaks my heart to see some of the speculation about Bibby on this board. I agree wholeheartedly with chelle's assessment...
i am not surprised though it has happened before with Webber and Pedja. I am thinking Bad and Ron are the next targets when or if Bibby gets traded.

i am not surprised though it has happened before with Webber and Pedja. I am thinking Bad and Ron are the next targets when or if Bibby gets traded.

With Brad's contract, injuries, and the dip in his play for most of the season I don't think he's tradeable for anything more than 1 more bad contract.

Let's see...go to Cleveland, earn the same money the next two years and play for a title contender alongside LeBron James. Yeah, who in his right mind would want to go there, when he can stay in warm Sacramento and play for a mediocre, star-less team with no possiblity of contending for anything anytime soon?:rolleyes:

piksi

Hall of Famer
No, Vince played like **** on PURPOSE to force a trade. He's a miserable turd and I've already told the Nets that they might as well quit sending me "wanna come see us play" mail until he is gone. Mike's not tanking, unless it be a bizarre full season tank. He just looks like he knows what is up. More of a Peja syndrome than anything else, but Peja actually wanted to go and was just being held hostage because Geoff could not bear the pain of parting. Similar thing though. Natural human reaction to pull back.

Do find it oddly reassuring though that the last of the golden era Kings has apparently lost the power struggle and is going to be out the door. I feel much MUCH better with proven winners like Ron, Muss, Kevin, Reef, KT, Salmons etc. taking over for all those Adelman era losers. :rolleyes:
actually bunch of solid role players. You put -let's say KG in the mix and that is a nice team

I believe Mike Bibby has one very good "high caliber" season left (maybe even this season). For obvious reasons it isn't going to happen with this year's supporting cast.

IMO Bibby is going to wind up contributing on a team with a chance to win a title. That's what these guys always seem to strive for and he'd be long gone around Sacto before they reassemble that kind of contender.

Good for Bibby. Good for the Kings. Sad, but it's already sad to watch a team without a chance. I actually cared a bunch before Bibby was ever there (with JW), so this only officially marks an end of an era. Bibby has a dead shark on his hands in what the Maloofs and GP have concocted. Time to go have fun.

Lucky Mike.

lol...you and me both! Thank goodness we put THOSE years behind us!;)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Quick question: What selfish, arrogant acts has Mike done?
How about the Webber-Bibby "Don't pass to Peja" club? How about ignoring open younger players on the court and passing to his "club" on the floor instead, whatever his "club" is at the moment? How about dribbling the ball up the floor instead of passing it? How about ignoring Adelman and Muss in team hudles? I've probably watched 90-95% of the Kings games since Bibby came here and I've never seen him huddle with the young guys to *encourage* or teach them. I've never heard any young player say that they really appreciate the help that Bibby has given them. (I wonder why?) His self-absorbed fingernail clipping is a metaphor for his role on this team. He's been the anti-Vlade on this team as far I'm concerned.

How about the Webber-Bibby "Don't pass to Peja" club? How about ignoring open younger players on the court and passing to his "club" on the floor instead, whatever his "club" is at the moment? How about dribbling the ball up the floor instead of passing it? How about ignoring Adelman and Muss in team hudles? I've probably watched 90-95% of the Kings games since Bibby came here and I've never seen him huddle with the young guys to *encourage* or teach them. I've never heard any young player say that they really appreciate the help that Bibby has given them. (I wonder why?) His self-absorbed fingernail clipping is a metaphor for his role on this team. He's been the anti-Vlade on this team as far I'm concerned.
Ronnie Price would disagree with you.

http://www.nba.com/kings/features/Kings_Mentors.html

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
How about the Webber-Bibby "Don't pass to Peja" club?
Pure crap.

How about ignoring open younger players on the court and passing to his "club" on the floor instead, whatever his "club" is at the moment?
Ditto.

How about dribbling the ball up the floor instead of passing it?
A point guard who dribbles the ball up the court? Why, how dare he!!!

How about ignoring Adelman and Muss in team hudles?
Not true. And don't go by ONE quote where Bibby was asked what Musselman said at half-time and he didn't remember.

I've probably watched 90-95% of the Kings games since Bibby came here and I've never seen him huddle with the young guys to *encourage* or teach them.
So do you have access to the practice facility?

I've never heard any young player say that they really appreciate the help that Bibby has given them. (I wonder why?)
Just because you haven't heard a young player make comments doesn't mean a thing.

His self-absorbed fingernail clipping is a metaphor for his role on this team.
His fingernail clipping is a superstitious and possibly nervous habit. Reading more into it is just kinda silly IMHO.

He's been the anti-Vlade on this team as far I'm concerned.
This is ludicrous. Mike isn't Vlade. NOBODY is Vlade but Vlade.

If you don't like Mike, that's your choice but there's no need to try and prove your opinion with what you've posted above. It ain't gonna fly except with those who are already on the "let's get Bibby" bandwagon.

Mike Bibby has been an integral part of the Kings and I'm very glad we have him. If he's struggling now, it seems pretty petty to turn on him like rabid dogs. Criticize his shooting, criticize his shot selections, criticize his passing. That's all legitimate grist for the mill. What isn't legitimate is this sudden finger pointing and baseless accusations of stuff.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Pure crap.

Ditto.

A point guard who dribbles the ball up the court? Why, how dare he!!!

Not true. And don't go by ONE quote where Bibby was asked what Musselman said at half-time and he didn't remember.

So do you have access to the practice facility?

Just because you haven't heard a young player make comments doesn't mean a thing.

His fingernail clipping is a superstitious and possibly nervous habit. Reading more into it is just kinda silly IMHO.

This is ludicrous. Mike isn't Vlade. NOBODY is Vlade but Vlade.

If you don't like Mike, that's your choice but there's no need to try and prove your opinion with what you've posted above. It ain't gonna fly except with those who are already on the "let's get Bibby" bandwagon.

Mike Bibby has been an integral part of the Kings and I'm very glad we have him. If he's struggling now, it seems pretty petty to turn on him like rabid dogs. Criticize his shooting, criticize his shot selections, criticize his passing. That's all legitimate grist for the mill. What isn't legitimate is this sudden finger pointing and baseless accusations of stuff.
Denial is a very powerful thing....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Denial is a very powerful thing....
Somestimes we perceive denial in others because we cannot face it in ourselves... I'm not in denial about Mike Bibby. I am also, however, not trying to find reasons to belittle him or make him the goat.

Last edited:
So much for asking questions....

The whole Bibby-Peja-Webber thing, I'm not going to get another long-drawn out conversation over who's fault over what because Peja & Chris are no longer here.

I guess you're referring to Kevin, at times he's left out but is that only Mike's fault, or was it the play called? Do I see you calling out Ron, Kenny, Shareef and anyone else as arrogant?

Ronnie proves your point as futile, so no need to go further.

How on earth does someone's rather unorthodox superstition usually done after his first return to the bench count as a metaphor? Does the same thing whether the Kings win or lose, has been for years. But since we're in a losing season all of a sudden it's now symbolic :confused: