Best news yet! Deal is done!

Congratulations everyone. It has been a long battle for all including us Kingsfans bunch, maybe like a 10,000 post thread. I don't want to look at how old I'll be when the 35 years is up. Right now I'll concentrate on making it to 86 when the new arena will see its first NBA game. This has been great. Next I'm looking forward to learning who will be selected to be in charge on-site. Hope she's a 20 pt. per game contributor.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI/status/335406278300033024

@ChrisMannixSI
League sources say owners offered to pay Hansen-Ballmer group the $30 million non-refundable deposit they paid the Maloofs. They declined

Hmmm... I thought the initial arrangement is that we were going to take 30 million off from what we payed the Maloofs to reimburse Hansen ourselves... If this isn't the case, the first thing I would look at as if this is earnest money towards expansion or getting the league to do something for HBN, but it the funds are staying with the MAloofs? Something doesn't strike me as right with Hansen declinging 30 big ones

Hmmm... I thought the initial arrangement is that we were going to take 30 million off from what we payed the Maloofs to reimburse Hansen ourselves... If this isn't the case, the first thing I would look at as if this is earnest money towards expansion or getting the league to do something for HBN, but it the funds are staying with the MAloofs? Something doesn't strike me as right with Hansen declinging 30 big ones
Strategic declination, providing some more incentive for expansion to become a more present reality.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You are certainly a glass half-empty kind of person, aren't you? ;)

Very rarely are the financial details of a privately negotiated business deal made public. These kinds of give and take happen all the time. All we need to be concerned about is the bottom line - our Kings are staying with new ownership, a new view towards the future and a new arena on the near horizon. It's all good. :)

i'm not really sure why HBN would decline repayment of the $30 million deposit, especially after so much talk of the sac group's "back-up offer" containing provisions to help make the seattle group "whole" in the event that the team was sold to the sac group...

it may be that HBN are feeling rather bitter, and are swatting away the consolation prize of having their deposit returned. it may be that HBN figures that it's better business to reject repayment of a "non-refundable" deposit, and that doing so will place them in better standing with the league, should expansion remain on the table. it may be that HBN are prepping a lawsuit against the maloofs. it may be none of these things...

i enjoyed pondering it for a few moments, but now i realize that i don't really care. i hope the city of seattle is eventually awarded with an expansion franchise, and if it happens to be owned by HBN, then so be it. but, in the meantime, i find that i'm no longer interested in the post-mortem of events that led to the sale of the kings to ranadive/mastrov/jacobs/etc. i'm only interested in the analysis of events going forward with our sacramento kings...

So how many here are planning on getting season tix?
I for one can't wait. We gave ours up at the beginning of last season. I can't wait to attend a maloof free event at arco.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Don't know if there's a more appropriate place to put this, so I'll put it here:

Decided to tune into Napear's radio show online to hear what else he had to say about the sale and whatnot. He made a point of mentioning in the beginning that he would not allow his show to be used to trash the Maloofs on the way out, which I have no beef with. He said that if listeners were expecting him to trash them, then they had tuned into the wrong show, and I'm cool with that, too. But then he said that if that's what people wanted, meaning to call in to trash the Maloofs, then there are plenty of other shows that they can tune into, and I've got to call shenanigans on that.

Help me out, local Kings Fans: Are there any other stations in the Sacramento area, that you can actually tune into to hear about the Kings? I was under the impression that 1140 is the only game in town?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Don't know if there's a more appropriate place to put this, so I'll put it here:

Decided to tune into Napear's radio show online to hear what else he had to say about the sale and whatnot. He made a point of mentioning in the beginning that he would not allow his show to be used to trash the Maloofs on the way out, which I have no beef with. He said that if listeners were expecting him to trash them, then they had tuned into the wrong show, and I'm cool with that, too. But then he said that if that's what people wanted, meaning to call in to trash the Maloofs, then there are plenty of other shows that they can tune into, and I've got to call shenanigans on that.

Help me out, local Kings Fans: Are there any other stations in the Sacramento area, that you can actually tune into to hear about the Kings? I was under the impression that 1140 is the only game in town?
The Kings are being discussed just about everywhere. I think Grant may have been referring to Ric Bucher's show in the Bay Area. Otherwise, it's just typical hyperbole. Everybody in the media is trying to take a cue from KJ and take the high road in regards to talking about the Maloofs.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So how many here are planning on getting season tix?
I for one can't wait. We gave ours up at the beginning of last season. I can't wait to attend a maloof free event at arco.
Season tickets aren't possible for me, but I do plan on attending as many games as possible. I'd love to see some KF group events like the good old days, before many of you were members. It was fun!

No, there's no other sports radio shows locally that one could call into - so more repeated BS from Napear. He's on the defensive, knows his livelihood at least locally is up in the air. He as much said so, admitting does not know Kings new ownership group, has yet to meet with them, but hoping to sell them on retaining his services. So many of the callers to his show are drooling all over him of late it seems call screener must be heavily censoring who gets through, who doesn't.

Season tickets aren't possible for me, but I do plan on attending as many games as possible. I'd love to see some KF group events like the good old days, before many of you were members. It was fun!
Only way we can afford good tix is to go win with a few other couples. Much more affordable that way.

Im just looking forward to regaining some of that love of basketball that began wane after the game 6 robbery and peaked the last couple of years. This great new ownership group will make it easier to fork over some of my hard earned cash to attend more games. Jeez I can safely say it's been about 8 years since I really looked forward to attending a kings game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No, there's no other sports radio shows locally that one could call into - so more repeated BS from Napear. He's on the defensive, knows his livelihood at least locally is up in the air. He as much said so, admitting does not know Kings new ownership group, has yet to meet with them, but hoping to sell them on retaining his services. So many of the callers to his show are drooling all over him of late it seems call screener must be heavily censoring who gets through, who doesn't.
I have been as critical of Grant Napear as anyone on this board, but you're taking this to a whole other level. Your consistent attacks on him, both professional and personal, seem to be anchored in some personal conflict with him. Is this really the place for it?

Sorry, but I think you're off-base.

I have been as critical of Grant Napear as anyone on this board, but you're taking this to a whole other level. Your consistent attacks on him, both professional and personal, seem to be anchored in some personal conflict with him. Is this really the place for it?

I tend to think he's accurate in that particular assessment. He's using his show as a place to sell himself with the drooly callers. It's kinda obvious.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I tend to think he's accurate in that particular assessment. He's using his show as a place to sell himself with the drooly callers. It's kinda obvious.
Then we'll agree to disagree. I've actually started listening to Grant again and he's reflecting the feelings of a vast majority of Kings fans, and helping spread the word about latest events, etc.

Right now, he's giving information about renewing season tickets.

You can dislike him, but he's providing a service. Imagine if all we had to listen to was Ric Bucher from the Bay Area.

I won't argue about his past, because it doesn't matter to me. He's a radio talk show host and right now he's preaching to the choir and I'm ready to stand up and sign "Hallelujah!"

As of the end of this season, I've spent 50 years as a fan of this team. I'm thrilled about looking forward to 51.

... and I must admit that I'm sort of disappointed that someone already posted Ding Dong the Witch is Dead in this thread, because I was going to post it as perfectly summarizing my mood.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
As of the end of this season, I've spent 50 years as a fan of this team. I'm thrilled about looking forward to 51.

... and I must admit that I'm sort of disappointed that someone already posted Ding Dong the Witch is Dead in this thread, because I was going to post it as perfectly summarizing my mood.
grats on the semicentennial!

remember when Kozimore on twitter told Dave "Stop sucking up to Grant, you already got the job"

Wonder if Napear is about to announce he is joining either 1140, or Kings TV

I agree, PurpleHaze is entitled to his opinion of a person but I've seen multiple times where he has gone on a rant about Napear in a thread that just has nothing to do with him. Anytime his name comes up it seems like the floodgates open. Just not the topic we should be discussing.

If I had known you wanted the privilege I would gladly have deferred to seniority. Glad to see you here!

Maybe the Maloofs had to refund the money to Hansen because the league voted down the relocation? The deal was always contingent on league approval.
Reports were always that it was a non-refundable deposit, and presumably that meant that even if the deal didn't go through because the BOG denied the relocation or sale, the Maloofs would keep that deposit.

Also, reports in the Bee over the last few days indicated that the Maloofs got to keep the $30 million, as they were describing how the $535M final valuation from Ranadivé gave only a few million dollars less to the Maloofs than what they would have gotten with Hansen's $625M deal.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I hope someday Hansen/Ballmer and perhaps the entire city of Seattle wakes up and realizes that the Maloofs just played them not only for $30 mil but also used them to get more money than the franchise is worth. Whether or not this is what the Maloofs planned is another matter but the result is that the Maloofs ended up with far more money in their pocket than they deserved. When you lay down with dogs that have fleas, you get fleas.

It also shows that some people have more money than you and I. Perhaps I should get in line and ask for money from H/B.