Before Oct 31 deadline/Jimmer news (merged)

Before the Oct 31st deadline the Kings will....

• Do not pick-up 2014-2015 option on Jimmer

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Extend Vazquez contract

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Extend Patterson contract

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Pick-up 2014-2015 option on Jimmer

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Kings don't pickup the option, it goes to show you that the ineptitude will continue for this franchise. Well, the Carl Landry signing may have cemented that.
Yeah cause we knew Landry was going to injure his hip in training camp...

Jimmer is an undersized, slightly unathletic player with mediocre handles and a jump shot. You're probably the only poster on here (amongst Kings fans that regularly root for him, mind you) that doesn't acknowledge that. I hope we extend his contract so we can use him as trade bait because he is a valuable piece OFF THE BENCH. If you seriously think he's some sort of superstar player waiting to happen, you are gravely mistaken. There are NBA execs that question if he has value as an NBA player. I tend to disagree based on his 3 pt shooting prowess but your fandom has greatly clouded your sense of reason.

Yeah cause we knew Landry was going to injure his hip in training camp...

Jimmer is an undersized, slightly unathletic player with mediocre handles and a jump shot. You're probably the only poster on here (amongst Kings fans that regularly root for him, mind you) that doesn't acknowledge that. I hope we extend his contract so we can use him as trade bait because he is a valuable piece OFF THE BENCH. If you seriously think he's some sort of superstar player waiting to happen, you are gravely mistaken. There are NBA execs that question if he has value as an NBA player. I tend to disagree based on his 3 pt shooting prowess but your fandom has greatly clouded your sense of reason.
I'm one of the biggest Jimmer supporters on here but I acknowledge too that he is not a superstar in the waiting. I also believe he is not a "bust" as many on here would have you believe. He will find his niche in the league. Just probably not with the Sacramento Kings.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 1m
On deadline day, I’m told the Kings have informed Jimmer Fredette of their decision not to pick up his 14-15 team option ($3.1 mil)
Yeah, not a huge surprise, to me at least.

Its why the Carl Landry signing was so particularly stupid -- they are in theory focused on clearing salary room for this upcoming summer. That means no premature extension for guys like Vasquez and Patterson, no option pickup for Jimmer etc.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not surprised by the announcement. I wish Jimmer Fredette good luck in the future. Despite the annoyance of some of his more juvenile followers, I do think he could be an asset on the right team in the right circumstances. I hope my fellow Kings fans can find a way to stay classy about this. Fredette has shown class and a good attitude despite what must be deep disappointment on how things have turned out.

Its why the Carl Landry signing was so particularly stupid -- they are in theory focused on clearing salary room for this upcoming summer. That means no premature extension for guys like Vasquez and Patterson, no option pickup for Jimmer etc.
I'm not sure if I would put the Jimmer decision solidly in the clearing salary category. It wouldn't surprise me if part of the decision was to remove reminders of what could of/should of been in terms of a previous draft. The other part of that particular mistake will also be gone this summer if not before.

I'm not surprised by the announcement. I wish Jimmer Fredette good luck in the future. Despite the annoyance of some of his more juvenile followers, I do think he could be an asset on the right team in the right circumstances. I hope my fellow Kings fans can find a way to stay classy about this. Fredette has shown class and a good attitude despite what must be deep disappointment on how things have turned out.
I'm actually kinda disappointed. I would've liked to see what he could've done in a structured system off of the bench.

I'm actually kinda disappointed. I would've liked to see what he could've done in a structured system off of the bench.
we already have 2 SGs that can shoot the ball as good or better than Jimmer and do just about everything else basketball related better than Jimmer, that could fill that role you speak of

I'm one of the biggest Jimmer supporters on here but I acknowledge too that he is not a superstar in the waiting. I also believe he is not a "bust" as many on here would have you believe. He will find his niche in the league. Just probably not with the Sacramento Kings.
he may, indeed, someday find his niche in this league, but i'm not so sure what that niche is, exactly. he's not a star in the making. he's not a PG. he's not a SG. he's not quick. he's not tall. what is he? a guy you bring off the bench to hit spot-up jumpers, despite the fact that he prefers to play on-ball (with a sub-par handle)? there are dozens of journeymen guards across the nba who you can bring off the bench to knock down jumpers, but most of them are also taller and more athletic than jimmer, and they're capable of dribbling the ball at the nba level...

the problem for jimmer is that his greatest skill--dead eye shooting-- is rather commonplace in the nba. jimmer's ability to shoot the ball, his high basketball IQ, and his nice-guy demeanor, while valuable assets on any team, are simply overwhelmed by the myriad of factors working against him: lack of size, lack of athleticism, lack of defense, lack of handle, etc...

mine is just one opinion, but i tend to believe that there will always be guards in front of jimmer in the pecking order of whatever team he lands on. it's not that he can't succeed as a journeyman shooter in the nba, it's just more likely that players with greater physical gifts and broader skillsets will continually leapfrog jimmer's chance at seeing consistent, meaningful court time...

all of that said, i'm not displeased that the kings decided not to pick up his option. he's a good kid, and i hope he does find his niche at some point, but i don't see a future in sacramento for him. it also doesn't help that many of his fans are rabid to an illogical fault, and infect kf.com with an overabundance of nonsense regarding the glories and wonders of jimmer fredette. if the new regime does, in fact, prove to be inept, it certainly has nothing to do with their handling of jimmer...

Last edited:
He needs to play for Utah if at all possible

I'm aware of that, simple curiosity. I hope for his best.
ya nothing wrong with that. i just personally think he has played enough to prove that he can't play against most NBA level opponents. plus you have to think he has had plenty of opportunities in practice, training camp, etc to prove to the coaches that he's worth keeping and giving minutes

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
we already have 2 SGs that can shoot the ball as good or better than Jimmer and do just about everything else basketball related better than Jimmer, that could fill that role you speak of
I can't agree with that, especially seeing what Thornton did/didn't do last night.

Entity

Hall of Famer

Although last night when we had trouble scoring I was thinking Landry sure would help when cousins is on the bench. landry can make sense if Patterson is not retained next season. but apparently we see him as a starter now.

Cue the Jimmer fan exodus. You will be missed.
the kings have played exactly one game of an 82-game season in which jimmer fredette is still under contract. the new regime may trade him before the deadline, of course, but i don't expect we'll see an exodus of jimmer fans fleeing the kings just yet, at least not until jimmer logs a whole lotta consecutive DNP's due to coach's decision. but who knows? if thornton continues to struggle so mightily, or if he decides he doesn't want to buy in, malone could work jimmer back into the rotation. i'd prefer not, because i think malone needs to give his rotation time to develop chemistry, inconsistencies be damned. i'm just not a fan of platooning a group of mediocre players with a hope-and-a-prayer that something clicks. we had enough of that under keith smart and paul westphal...

the kings have played exactly one game of an 82-game season in which jimmer fredette is still under contract. the new regime may trade him before the deadline, of course, but i don't expect we'll see an exodus of jimmer fans fleeing the kings just yet, at least not until jimmer logs a whole lotta consecutive DNP's due to coach's decision. but who knows? if thornton continues to struggle so mightily, or if he decides he doesn't want to buy in, malone could work jimmer back into the rotation. i'd prefer not, because i think malone needs to give his rotation time to develop chemistry, inconsistencies be damned. i'm just not a fan of platooning a group of mediocre players with a hope-and-a-prayer that something clicks. we had enough of that under keith smart and paul westphal...
Padrino, there are literally 2 (or 3 at most) annoying Jimmer fans at a time that make almost all of the noise. Just ignore those 2 or 3. Is it that hard? This mass exodus you are waiting for is only going to quiet a few voices that you could have quieted on your own.

But wait....he's our franchise player!! :confused:

In all seriousness though, he seems like a good guy who plays hard and wants to get better. Just doesn't seem to fit in with Malone's "vision" moving forward. But who knows....maybe Thornton falls out of favor with Malone and Jimmer gets some PT to prove himself.

My thoughts have been explained elsewhere, but yeah, he's just not good enough for this league. He'll have to make a team next year, and I question whether he can do that.

I hope he finds a good situation. Seems like a genuinely good guy with a winner's spirit. It's unfortunate that this didn't translate into being a great NBA player, or one that fit well with this particular team. I expect he'll find more success somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.