Before Oct 31 deadline/Jimmer news (merged)

Before the Oct 31st deadline the Kings will....

• Do not pick-up 2014-2015 option on Jimmer

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Extend Vazquez contract

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Extend Patterson contract

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Pick-up 2014-2015 option on Jimmer

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Kings' think Jimmer has trade value around the league they will pick up his 2014-2015 option before Halloween. I think they do. I don't see him becoming an unrestricted free-agent this summer.

Last edited:
If the Kings' think Jimmer has trade value around the league they will pick up his 2013-2014 option before Halloween. I think they do. I don't see him becoming an unrestricted free-agent this summer.
The problem that I see is that 12 mpg or less Jimmer is worth less than $3.4 million. 15-25 mpg Jimmer MAY be worth more than $3.4 million to some other team out there, but not the Kings. For an extension to be worth it, Jimmer would need to get time on the floor, and I just can't see that happening with Thornton making $8 million and McLemore being the important long-term guy at the 2.

You can't trade Thornton's contract unless you play him a bunch and he looks good. You can't trade Jimmer unless you play him some and he looks good. You don't want to trade McLemore and you have to play him a bunch to develop his game. McLemore is a given, so pick which SG you want to use as trade bait and play them the rest of the minutes, and hope that they play well enough to package with one of the albatross contracts and bring back a good 3 or a defensive 4.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Despite making conciliatory noises, I think we're committed to our cap room next season barring star acquisitions, so don't think we'll clutter it with unnecessary contracts for unproven guys.

Don't extend a person's contract simply because he has trade value. Makes little sense.
If you are talking about Jimmer, it's just a one year option. I think the Kings pick-up the option and see what they've got or trade him to the team that offers the most in return. If he truly has no value around the league then they don't pick up the option. We'll see I guess. He will be in demand by more than a few teams in my opinion. I don't think the Kings let him leave this summer without anything in return.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If you are talking about Jimmer, it's just a one year option. I think the Kings pick-up the option and see what they've got or trade him to the team that offers the most in return. If he truly has no value around the league then they don't pick up the option. We'll see I guess. He will be in demand by more than a few teams in my opinion. I don't think the Kings let him leave this summer without anything in return.
He has far more value as a small ender than he does as a deep bench player with another year left on a lottery contract

He has far more value as a small ender than he does as a deep bench player with another year left on a lottery contract
The problem is Thornton's not close to worth the value of his contract. He's much tougher to unload. Anybody need a Vinnie Johnson type for 8 mil per year? According to the Sac Bee, all summer the Kings management have listened to offers for Jimmer but right now are not interested in a trade. I guess that's so they can let him go for free this summer. My bet is the King's pick up the option. If I'm wrong, I'll own it on Friday.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
We've already had several years to determine his value around the league. He is of little to no value to us because we have too many guards. So what if no one wants him? We will have him on the bench for another year with no return on the investment. It still makes no sense. Why not let him go and go after a guy we actually can use.

I prefer signing people to see if we can use them rather than signing them to see if we can trade them.

We've already had several years to determine his value around the league. He is of little to no value to us because we have too many guards. So what if no one wants him? We will have him on the bench for another year with no return on the investment. It still makes no sense. Why not let him go and go after a guy we actually can use.

I prefer signing people to see if we can use them rather than signing them to see if we can trade them.
You lost me at "several years". You mean a couple years under Coach Smart? :confused:

The extension scenario I can see would be for a team with needs at both the 1 and 2 off the bench who wants a possible value contract next year. There might be some trade options out there who want two years of Jimmer to see if they can develop him more than the Kings have.

Detroit, Utah, Lakers, Orlando, Philly, Toronto, Houston, Memphis, OKC, and Phoenix are all teams that could use additional backcourt scoring off the bench and floor spacing in general. San Antonio would probably pick him up just so Popovich could turn him into a 20 ppg guy just to rub it in people's faces. There's a market out there for his services, it is just a question of whether any of those teams would be willing to offer something that Sacramento wants in return.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Detroit, Utah, Lakers, Orlando, Philly, Toronto, Houston, Memphis, OKC, and Phoenix are all teams that could use additional backcourt scoring off the bench and floor spacing in general. San Antonio would probably pick him up just so Popovich could turn him into a 20 ppg guy just to rub it in people's faces. There's a market out there for his services, it is just a question of whether any of those teams would be willing to offer something that Sacramento wants in return.

The extension scenario I can see would be for a team with needs at both the 1 and 2 off the bench who wants a possible value contract next year. There might be some trade options out there who want two years of Jimmer to see if they can develop him more than the Kings have.
I doubt any NBA club including the Spurs with Popovich could have done a better job developing Jimmer then one Keith Smart. (Sarcasm)

Don't extend a person's contract simply because he has trade value. Makes little sense.
It does on a rookie contract. If he is traded it lets the receiving team keep the restricted status for the 4th year. If it's not picked up he becomes a free agent and the new team has no protection in keeping him.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Same with Cousins and Evans, yet those players are so much better than Jimmer :p
I wonder how that happened under Smart. Oh, wait, Cousins and Tyreke are more skilled and can have a major impact on a team. I like Jimmer and if people who have been on this web site before we drafted would have paid attention, they would have found that I wanted Jimmer and sadly thought he had a future in the NBA. He didn't turn out to be half as good as I thought and I will place some blame on Smart but Smart doesn't deserve all the blame. Jimmer is what he is. Playing clever games with the cap and keeping him based on wishful thinking is an awful lot of attention being paid to a guy who might very well end up being our 5th best guard. McCallum may pass him. Who knows? But why the fuss? Even if we traded him, what would we get? What exactly is the 4-5th best guard from a team that hasn't had a winning record in seven years worth? I think his major value will be as an ending contract for us. Let's end this futility and try to find someone who can contribute and let us be able to pick from all the free agents available and not just from the team that might want to trade for him.

I wonder how that happened under Smart. Oh, wait, Cousins and Tyreke are more skilled and can have a major impact on a team. I like Jimmer and if people who have been on this web site before we drafted would have paid attention, they would have found that I wanted Jimmer and sadly thought he had a future in the NBA. He didn't turn out to be half as good as I thought and I will place some blame on Smart but Smart doesn't deserve all the blame. Jimmer is what he is. Playing clever games with the cap and keeping him based on wishful thinking is an awful lot of attention being paid to a guy who might very well end up being our 5th best guard. McCallum may pass him. Who knows? But why the fuss? Even if we traded him, what would we get? What exactly is the 4-5th best guard from a team that hasn't had a winning record in seven years worth? I think his major value will be as an ending contract for us. Let's end this futility and try to find someone who can contribute and let us be able to pick from all the free agents available and not just from the team that might want to trade for him.
I don't disagree with you on any particular point here, Glenn. Jimmer is a terrible fit on the Kings. That said, he does have a valuable skillset of being a long-range spot up shooter with above-average court vision for a two guard and a high basketball IQ. Almost without fail, contending teams are built around strong rim penetration and rely on floor spacing to get their slashers good looks and their shooters play off the drive and kick. Danny Green looks a hundred times better shooting the three on kickouts from Parker and Duncan than he did in Cleveland where nobody was getting him open.

It was endlessly frustrating to me that Smart refused to run Jimmer and Tyreke together consistently.

3me

If the Kings don't pickup the option, it goes to show you that the ineptitude will continue for this franchise. Well, the Carl Landry signing may have cemented that.

If the Kings don't pickup the option, it goes to show you that the ineptitude will continue for this franchise. Well, the Carl Landry signing may have cemented that.
Yeah, if we don't resign Jimmer, the guy solely responsible for our best years a decade ago, we can forget about being competitive ever again. On the bright side we won't have to tolerate trolls.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah, if we don't resign Jimmer, the guy solely responsible for our best years a decade ago, we can forget about being competitive ever again. On the bright side we won't have to tolerate trolls.
Until we draft or sign someone with his own designated fanbase, which will pretty much happen the second Jimmer leaves. Hell, it's a good thing we traded Omri before acquiring Jimmer because the potential tension between those two blocks of rabid fandom would have probably resulted in a tear in the fabric of space and time, thus destroying basketball for everyone.

C

Cold

Jimmer still has some trade value ATM. Same with Magic Randolph and Wes Matthew because some teams still hold hope that these guys can turn things around. That value will quickly diminish after this season IMO becuz there's a new coaching staff in town and if Jimmer doesn't have some decent success this season, he'll be out of the league.

I would be happy with a 2nd round pick TBH.

Jimmer still has some trade value ATM. Same with Magic Randolph and Wes Matthew because some teams still hold hope that these guys can turn things around. That value will quickly diminish after this season IMO becuz there's a new coaching staff in town and if Jimmer doesn't have some decent success this season, he'll be out of the league.

I would be happy with a 2nd round pick TBH.
what has Matthews done wrong to figure into a sentence with those two?

Status
Not open for further replies.