Baja Den's first, complete nonsense, too early, 1st round mock draft:

Wagner is intriguing. I'm very interested to see what his height, wingspan, standing reach, and weight are at the combine.

• Only 19.5 years old
  • Improved from his Freshman year to his Sophomore year
  • Great size for SF
  • Could still be growing (reportedly grew 1-2 inches vs. his freshman year. Could he get to 7'0"?)
  • Good feel for the game & passing
  • Doesn't turn the ball over
  • Solid rebounder
  • Solid shooter
  • Good defender with solid fundamentals & instincts
  • Appears to play winning basketball

He's one of those players that impacts a game without you really knowing he's impacting a game. If this kid spends time working on his handle & 1-on-1 moves, who's to say he couldn't develop into an all star level player?

I feel like a realistic ceiling for him is Gallinari but with good/solid defense. That's a pretty valuable player. If he can improve his handles/go-to scoring, he can ascend beyond that.
If Wagner is there when we draft we need to grab him. Zaire Williams might fall. I’m thinking we will be looking at Williams, Garuba, Johnson and perhaps Giddey as a point forward

I havent been able to catch any college hoops this year, but just going off reads and clips Jalen Johnson should be a nice fit, good size point forward, and likely available where we pick.
I was high on Barnes at around 6-8 but the Kings push to the playoffs should put him out of reach.
Anyways, lots of possibilities to improve.

Wagner is intriguing. I'm very interested to see what his height, wingspan, standing reach, and weight are at the combine.

• Only 19.5 years old
  • Improved from his Freshman year to his Sophomore year
  • Great size for SF
  • Could still be growing (reportedly grew 1-2 inches vs. his freshman year. Could he get to 7'0"?)
  • Good feel for the game & passing
  • Doesn't turn the ball over
  • Solid rebounder
  • Solid shooter
  • Good defender with solid fundamentals & instincts
  • Appears to play winning basketball

He's one of those players that impacts a game without you really knowing he's impacting a game. If this kid spends time working on his handle & 1-on-1 moves, who's to say he couldn't develop into an all star level player?

I feel like a realistic ceiling for him is Gallinari but with good/solid defense. That's a pretty valuable player. If he can improve his handles/go-to scoring, he can ascend beyond that.
If we end up picking 12-15 and he is still on the board after 8 I hope Monte moves up to draft Franz. Like you say, he just makes his team better without really standing out. I know Bajaden mentioned in another post his IQ and ability to defend passing lanes is Haliburtonesque.

If Wagner is there when we draft we need to grab him. Zaire Williams might fall. I’m thinking we will be looking at Williams, Garuba, Johnson and perhaps Giddey as a point forward
With our pick, I'd be targeting...

• Franz Wagner
  • Moses Moody
  • Scottie Barnes
  • Ziaire Williams

Guys like J. Johnson & Kispert would be my consolation prize although I don't feel nearly as good about those two as I do the other four I mentioned.

I havent been able to catch any college hoops this year, but just going off reads and clips Jalen Johnson should be a nice fit, good size point forward, and likely available where we pick.
I was high on Barnes at around 6-8 but the Kings push to the playoffs should put him out of reach.
Anyways, lots of possibilities to improve.
With the way the Kings are going, they'd probably be looking to trade out of that pick rather than trade up but you never know, maybe Bagley and the Kings pick can get them somewhere in that range? If this team performs as it should, and should have been all year honestly, then unfortunately they will likely be in a part of the draft that doesn't have nearly the upside. I could see Jalen Johnson rising after workouts.

Guess it kind of depends on what Monte has planned with some of our bigs but Garuba also looks interesting. Agile but looks strong, looks like he can do a bit of everything.
I kind of think with our current squad we have the guard positions best covered. So I’m mostly looking at the frontcourt.

• Franz Wagner
  • Moses Moody
  • Scottie Barnes
  • Ziaire Williams

Guys like J. Johnson & Kispert would be my consolation prize although I don't feel nearly as good about those two as I do the other four I mentioned.
Not the same order, but this was essentially my list of guys outside the top 5. This is the draft to nab a big wing. Could add Kispert to this as well.

is Jalen Johnson the MPJ of this draft? Michael's concerns were more about his injury history but newest JJ is another blue chip guy that might be picked later than he should.
It's really hard to find a MPJ in any draft. MPJ was seen as a potential #1 pick for his KD-like scoring ability as a lights-out shooter. The only reason he fell in the draft is because of his health concerns. Some teams completely took him off their draft boards because of that. His medical was a huge deal among all NBA teams.

On the other hand, I definitely think Johnson is underrated. He's got a good skillset as a versatile player. However, players that have been touted as playmaking wings without a consistent jumper have struggled a bit in the NBA. A couple that come to mind are: Justice Winslow, Josh Jackson, Troy Brown Jr, and Jarrett Culver.

FWIW, ESPN does have Jalen Johnson as their 7th best prospect. https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr/page/1

bajaden

Hall of Famer
They usually have Barnes guard the best player on the other team. Personally I'm not a fan of how Florida St. uses him, but it is what it is. My concern with Barnes is his shot. He scares me at at a high pick.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

• Franz Wagner
  • Moses Moody
  • Scottie Barnes
  • Ziaire Williams

My targets would be Franz Wagner, Corey Kispert, Kai Jones, Moses Moody, and Jalen Johnson. I have no idea why people are down on Kispert. He's the best shooter in the draft, he's a very good defender, has good handles for the position, etc. High BBIQ. He's one of the most ready to step in and play players in the draft. With Barnes and Williams and quite a few others, your betting that in a couple of years, they'll be as good as Kispert is right now!

They usually have Barnes guard the best player on the other team. Personally I'm not a fan of how Florida St. uses him, but it is what it is. My concern with Barnes is his shot. He scares me at at a high pick.
And that's the gamble. Along with his affinity for reaching in on PG's it's probably the only downside. The good news is NBA teams aren't going to be able to zone him to death like college teams do. That lane will be clear so if keeps refining that floater he's got or his hook shot he'll still be an offensive option. And Florida State running switch defense is great for his ability to step right in and understand NBA defense from the get go. It didn't play to the rules of the NCAA but certainly good for his propects as an NBA defender.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
@bajaden , I'm curious how you would compare Corey Kispert and Dylan Windler?
Well, I like both players, but I would give the edge overall to Kispert because of his shooting. He has that ability to be moving coming off a screen and still square up and hit the three. So he's more than just a catch and shoot player. He's a smart defender in a team defense concept. Very good player without the ball in his hands. He's constantly moving. He seldom takes bad shots and he's not a black hole.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
And that's the gamble. Along with his affinity for reaching in on PG's it's probably the only downside. The good news is NBA teams aren't going to be able to zone him to death like college teams do. That lane will be clear so if keeps refining that floater he's got or his hook shot he'll still be an offensive option. And Florida State running switch defense is great for his ability to step right in and understand NBA defense from the get go. It didn't play to the rules of the NCAA but certainly good for his propects as an NBA defender.
People need to remember that it's much easier to clog the lane in college with no defensive 3 second rule, and that can really affect a player like Barnes, so I agree, I think the NBA will be kinder to him. But, that still doesn't mean he'll eventually be a good shooter. He could end up being Simmons part two. That's why I personally wouldn't take a gamble on him. I was high on Kid Gilchrist at one time, and was willing to gamble on his shot improving. Well it didn't! If your picking in the mid twenties, then go ahead and gamble, but not on a lottery pick.

Well, I like both players, but I would give the edge overall to Kispert because of his shooting. He has that ability to be moving coming off a screen and still square up and hit the three. So he's more than just a catch and shoot player. He's a smart defender in a team defense concept. Very good player without the ball in his hands. He's constantly moving. He seldom takes bad shots and he's not a black hole.
But that’s sort of my point with Kispert.

You’re giving the edge to Kispert because of his shooting but Windler is no slouch there himself and he was a late 1st pick. What really separates him from Windler where he deserves to be a lottery pick?

I’m not so much challenging as I am curious.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The defense of Rayquan Evans of FSU impressed me. #0. Dude looks like he can be a undrafted signee. 6'4. Can likely guard three positions. Would love to see him guard Suggs.
I know a really good shrink who can help you with your Gonzaga hate. :D

People need to remember that it's much easier to clog the lane in college with no defensive 3 second rule, and that can really affect a player like Barnes, so I agree, I think the NBA will be kinder to him. But, that still doesn't mean he'll eventually be a good shooter. He could end up being Simmons part two. That's why I personally wouldn't take a gamble on him. I was high on Kid Gilchrist at one time, and was willing to gamble on his shot improving. Well it didn't! If your picking in the mid twenties, then go ahead and gamble, but not on a lottery pick.
That's all true. It should be noted that MKG never played PG though. Barnes is legit guarding PG's and running a teams offense. There have been plenty of players that survived as non-shooting PG's. Yeah, he can be scary but if a team gambles and wins the payoff is great in a draft like this which has no guaranteed LeBrons to be nabbed.

But that’s sort of my point with Kispert.

You’re giving the edge to Kispert because of his shooting but Windler is no slouch there himself and he was a late 1st pick. What really separates him from Windler where he deserves to be a lottery pick?

I’m not so much challenging as I am curious.
I think to me the difference is Kispert has a stronger body and appears to be a little better with contact and a better athlete. He's similar to Buddy in some ways. Windler is longer but not the bull of a G/F Kispert is. He could be a one dimensional shooter but in todays game, that still means he's a rotation player.

I know a really good shrink who can help you with your Gonzaga hate. :D
The team is efficient, but I don't think they're that good. I never thought USC was that good this year either. Would've preferred an Oregon Gonzaga match up, because Oregon would run on Gonzaga.

UCLA is up at the half and they're going to beat Michigan, because Michigan's bigs are overrated.

UCLA is going to give Gonzaga a game. I don't think UCLA wins, but it'll be close. UCLA with Nix and Chris Smith and they beat Gonzaga.

Don't know why Franz Wagner is mocked as a first rounder. Juzang is a better player and will be a second rounder.
ultimate hot take. Franz is a really good prospect IMO.

100 combined points in 40 minutes is so strange to watch for an NBA fan. I enjoy the tournament but I just can’t get that into college ball.

Wagner just screams high level role player. He can't really create his own shots consistently, and his 3 ball is widely inconsistent. I think you saw it there with his final 2 attempts to win the game. Air balled then clunked another.

During the tournament he went 2-16 from 3pt land through 4 games.

Wagner just screams high level role player. He can't really create his own shots consistently, and his 3 ball is widely inconsistent. I think you saw it there with his final 2 attempts to win the game. Air balled then clunked another.

Yea. He's a second rounder to me.

I think UCLA should go small against Gonzaga. Bring in Kyman or Singleton and take out Riley (the 5). Play Jacquez at the 5. Timmey is like 6'8. Jacquez is around 6'7, but sturdy. Then would have 5 decent ball handlers on the floor to beat the Zags press. And play a 2-3 zone all game and dare the Zags to beat the Bruins on the perimeter. As a Bruin, who has watched the team all year, this was totally unexpected. Crazy turnaround.

Don't know why Franz Wagner is mocked as a first rounder. Juzang is a better player and will be a second rounder.
Wagner / Juzang
Age = 19.59 / 20.04
Height = 6’9” / 6’6”
Weight = 220 / 210
WS = 4.6 / 2.7
OWS = 2.8 / 1.8
DWS = 1.9 / 0.9
BPM = 12.4 / 6.4
OBPM = 6.4 / 5.1
DBPM = 6.0 / 1.3
NetRTG = 31.2 / 4.8
ORTG = 124.1 / 108.4
DRTG = 92.8 / 103.6
USG% = .197 / .265
TS% = .602 / .532
FG% = .492 / .420
3P% = .357 / .345
FT% = .831 / .911
PPG = 16.2 / 19.0
RPG = 8.2 / 5.2
APG = 3.8 / 2.1
SPG = 1.5 / 1.0
BPG = 1.3 / 0.5
TOPG = 1.6 / 2.0
FPG = 2.8 / 2.4
*stats per40 min

You could very well be right in the end but wasn’t this what a lot of people were saying about Haliburton?

Although he’s a sophomore, he’s younger than Mobley, Suggs, and Barnes. And he’s only 1 month older than Cunningham. He’s a young kid, may still be growing, has a good shooting stroke, has a similar AST to TO ratio as Halliburton’s sophomore year, and he’s a good defender.

What some may see as a role player, I see...
  • A player with a good foundation of skills (not many weaknesses, someone who won’t hurt the team)
  • A player who has shown significant improvements year over year (good trajectory for future development)
  • A player who has great size for the forward position (and still may be growing)
  • A player with good vision and IQ (the best players in the league tend to need both of these)
  • An underrated defender (will show up in wins but maybe not stats and accolades)

I said it earlier but a more athletic, better defending Gallinari sounds like an obtainable ceiling. If he has that drive and puts in a lot of time on his handle and go-to moves, he can potentially ascend beyond that.

I've got Kispert as a bust. I just don't see what you guys are seeing.
I don’t know if I’d call him a bust I’m just not sure if he’s worth a lottery pick. We had guys like Windler and Bane with similar bodies of work go way later in their drafts. Just trying to make sense of what makes Kispert so much more special than them to warrant being taken so early.