Baja Den's final, and only 2020 2nd round mock draft:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
31. Mavericks: Vernon Carey Jr. Center, 6'10", 270 Lb's, Freshman, Duke. 24.8 mpg - 17.8 ppg - 57.7% fgp - 38.1% 3pp - 8.8 rpg - 1.6 blk's pg.
Five years ago Carey might have been a lottery pick, but alas the league has changed. However Carey has shown the ability to step out and shoot the three on occasion and good agility for a big man. The Mav's might have a steal here.

32. Hornets: Robert Woodard. SF, 6'7", 235 Lb's, Soph, Mississippi St. 33.0 mpg - 11.4 ppg - 49.5% fgp - 42.9% 3pp - 6.5 rpg - 1.1 stl's pg - 1.0 blk's pg.
I think Woodard is a very underrated player. very good shooter and a solid defensive player. It's possible a team takes him higher than this, but he's a quality pick at 32.

33. Timberwolves: Paul Reed. PF, 6'9", 220 Lb's, Junior, DePaul. 31.7 mpg - 15.1 ppg - 51.6% fgp - 30.8% 3pp - 10.7 rpg - 1.9 stl's pg - 2.6 blk's pg
Another of my favorite players. Those who like Isaiah Stewart should like Reed. Reed has a non stop motor and was the best player on the DePaul team. Unfortunately he was also the focus of the other teams defense, which affected his 3 pt shot. He's an excellent rebounder and post defender with great shot blocking instincts.

34. 76'ers: Nico Mannion. PG, 6'3", 190 Lb's, Freshman, Arizona. 32.3 mpg - 14.0 ppg - 39.2% fgp - 32.7% 3pp - 2.5 rpg - 5.3 apg - 1.2 stl's pg.
Mannion has gone from a projected lottery pick to the 2nd rd. Which could make him a decent pick at 34. I think his lack of elite athleticism was exposed and his inability to shoot the ball consistently as well. He is skilled however with good court vision and excellent BBIQ. I see his future as a backup PG in the league.

35. King's: Elijah Hughes. SF/SG, 6'7", 215 Lb's, Junior, Syracuse. 36.7 mpg - 19.0 ppg - 42.6% fgp - 34.2% 3pp - 5.0 rpg - 3.4 apg - 1.2 stl's pg.
I know some are wondering, who is Elijah Hughes? Well he broke my rule of drafting any player from Syracuse. He's an elite athlete who is going to be a star in the NBA. You heard it here first. Not sure why he's projected to go in the 2nd rd, because he leaps out at you when you watch him play. I saw him make plays that made my jaw drop. His 3 pt percentage isn't great, but he took a lot of highly contested shots. To me, he has that it factor. I'll be surprised if he's there when we pick.

36. 76'ers: Jahmi'us Ramsey. SG, 6'4", 195 Lb's, Freshman, Texas Tech. 31.1 mpg - 15.0 ppg - 44.2% fgp - 42.6% 3pp - 4.0 rpg - 2.2 apg - 1.3 stl's pg.
Ramsey is a scorer who scores most of his pt's from 16 feet out. Solid 3 pt shooter. He's been all over the draft boards going anywhere from 22 to 50. He's a willing defender, and his perimeter game fits into today's NBA. The 76'ers especially need players that can score from the perimeter.

37. Wizards: Cassius Stanley. SG, 6'6", 193 Lb's, Freshman, Duke. 27.4 mpg - 12.6 ppg - 47.4% fgp - 36.0% 3pp - 4.9 rpg - 1.0 apg - 0.7 stl's pg.
Stanley is a developmental player. He's a freak athlete that you love to gamble on. If he's in the slam dunk contest, I'd bet on him. Give him some time in the G-League and you might have something special. I wouldn't mind if the King's took him based on his upside.

38. Knicks: Jordan Nwora. SF, 6'7", 225 Lb's, Junior, Louisville. 33.1 mpg - 18.0 ppg - 44.0% fgp - 40.2% 3pp - 7.7 rpg - 1.3 apg - 0.7 stl's pg.
Nwora has been a solid contributor at Louisville. He's a smart, crafty player with good BBIQ. The question is whether his lack of athleticism will cause him to struggle at the next level. Personally, I think he'll be fine. He knows every trick in the book on how to get open. Defensively, he's not quick, but certainly gives the effort.

39. Pelicans: Zeke Nnaji. Center, 6'11", 240 Lb's, Freshman, Arizona. 30.6 mpg - 16.1 ppg - 57.0% fgp - 29.4% 3pp - 8.6 rpg - 0.9 blk's pg.
I have mixed feelings about Nnaji. I feel like he should be better than he is, or was this past season. He plays extremely hard, which is an attribute, but not always with the results your looking for. The form on his jump shot looks good and his percentages should improve with work. He's a good gamble at 39.

40. Grizzley: Kenyon Martin Jr. SF/SG, 6'7". 210 Lb's, IMG Academy. 30.6 mpg - 12.3 ppg - 48.3% fgp - 23.4% 3pp - 6.8 rpg - 1.9 apg - 1.2 stl's pg - 1.1 blk's pg.
Obviously he comes from a good blood line. He's a terrific athlete who can jump out of the building. Not a good 3pt shooter, so your betting you can at least get him respectable. He's a very willing and good defender. Runs the floor like a deer, and has a good motor.

41. Spurs: Matthew Hurt. SF/PF, 6'9", 215 Lb's, Freshman, Duke. 20.5 mpg - 9.7 ppg - 48.7% fgp - 39.3% 3pp - 3.8 rpg - 0.9 stl's pg.
Hurt came out of high school with the reputation of being a sharpshooter, and he averaged just a tick under 40%. He was hard to get a read on because he would play 7 minutes one game and 34 minutes the next. He's mostly a SF now, but with added strength, I can see getting minutes at the four. Scouts question his ability to defend.

42. Pelicans: Immanuel Quickly. SG/PG, 6'3", 188 Lb's, Soph, Kentucky. 32.9 mpg - 16.1 ppg - 41.6% fgp - 42.8% 3pp - 4.2 rpg - 1.9 apg - 0.9 stl's pg.
I think Quickly is a steal in the 2nd round. There were games when he was Kentucky's best player on the floor. He's a tenacious defender and a lights out shooter from the three. He shot 92% from the free throw line. Definitely a bit undersized for the two, but he's capable of being the lead guard at times as well.

43. King's: Killian Tillie. PF, 6'10", 220 Lb's, Senior, Gonzaga. 24.7 mpg - 13.6 ppg - 54.8% fgp - 44.4% 3pp - 4.6 rpg - 1.9 apg - 1.0 stl's pg.
I can't pass on Tillie here. This guy would be a lottery pick if not for injuries and also being a senior. His stats belie his abilities. Mark Few (head coach) had Tillie doing everything he could to avoid injury which affected his rebounding. Few said he couldn't afford to not have Tillie on the floor. You don't dare leave Tillie open on the perimeter. He's also a very good defender despite all the injuries he's had. He's an injury risk, but if you can keep him healthy, you've got yourself one hell of a player.

44. Bulls: Udoka Azubuike. Center, 7'0", 270 Lb's, Senior, Kansas. 27.7 mpg - 13.7 ppg - 74.8% fgp - 00.0% 3pp - 10.5 rpg - 2.6 blk's pg.
Azubuike is definitely a throw back center. He has no game away from the basket, but he is a good post defender and rebounder. His career path is likely to be as a backup center. But there's still a place for that in the league off the bench.

45. Magic: Sam Merrill. SG/PG, 6'5", 205 Lb's, Senior, Utah St. 35.0 mpg - 19.7 ppg - 46.1% fgp - 41.0% 3pp - 4.1 rpg - 3.9 apg - 1.0 stl's pg.
Merrill is a very good 3 pt shooter. He averaged 41.0% from the three for all four years. He also shot 89.1% from the free throw line. He's a solid ball handler who can handle the lead guard position if needed. His defensive ability is average, but could work in the right system.

46. Trailblazers: Jay Scrubb. SF/SG, 6'7", 220 Lb's, Freshman, JUCO. 20.6 ppg - 52.4% fgp - 39.5% 3pp - 7.7 rpg - 2.0 apg - 1.2 stl's pg - 1.2 blk's pg.
I believe he would be the first JUCO player to be drafted, but don't quote me. Terrific athlete who grew three inches since highschool. Is supposed to have posted a plus 40 inch vertical. He's certainly worth a gamble at 46.

47. Celtic's: Aleksa Radanov. SF, 6'7", 209 Lb's, 22 years old, Crvena Zvezda. 25.4 mpg - 12.3 ppg - 60.3% fgp - 31.2% 3pp - 3.3 rpg - 2.3 apg - 1.0 stl's pg.
I figured the Celtic's would be looking to draft a player they can stash in Europe at this point, if they don't trade the pick. Radanov is a decent prospect with some upside.

48. Warriors: Paul Eboua. PF/C, 6'8", 214 Lb's, 20 years old, Consultinvest Pesaro. 21.6 mpg - 7.4 ppg - 45.9% fgp - 25.8% 3pp - 5.6 rpg - 0.7 stl's pg - 0.9 apg.
Similar case for the Warriors. A player that's young that they can stash. Eboua is a physical specimen with tons of upside. He could develop into something in a couple of years.

49. 76'ers: Kaleb Wesson. C/PF, 6'9", 270 Lb's, Junior, Ohio St. 29.5 mpg - 14.0 ppg - 44.5% fgp - 42.5% 3pp - 9.3 rpg - 1.9 apg - 0.7 stl's pg - 1.0 blk's pg.
Wesson is an interesting player. He's a big man that can step out and shoot the three. Not the most mobile player, but difficult to move in the post. I don't see him as much more, than a backup center, or if he can get his weight down a bit, a PF. He was a very productive player at Ohio St.

50. Hawks: Devin Dotson. PG, 6'2", 185 Lb's, Soph, Kansas. 34.8 mpg - 18.1 ppg - 46.8% fgp - 30.9% 3pp - 4.1 rpg - 4.0 apg - 2.1 stl's pg.
Dotson has been projected to go anywhere from the bottom of the 1st rd to somewhere in the 2nd. He's a speedy PG that can get into the paint to create shots for others. He needs to improve his 3 pt shot although he shot the three better his freshman year. Solid defender who plays the passing lanes.

51. Warriors: Yam Madar. PG, 6'2", 180 Lb's, 19 yr's old, Hapoel Tel Aviv. 10.1 ppg - 43.8% fgp - 28.9% 3pp - 81.2% ftp - 2.1 rpg - 3.4 apg.
Madar is a project that could pay off. His calling card right now is defense. He's an in your face defender that will press you all the way up the floor. He needs to get stronger, cut down on his turnovers, and improve his jump shot. Likely a stash in Europe player.

52. King's: Justinian Jessup. SG/SF, 6'7", 202 Lb's, Senior, Boise St. 35.9 mpg - 16.0 ppg - 42.5% fgp - 39.5% 3pp - 4.4 rpg - 2.1 apg - 1.4 stl's pg.
Jessup has shot the three well all four years at Boise St. He can play both the SG and SF positions. Excellent defender in his conference with the athleticism to translate to the NBA. He's a player that's ready to step in and play now more so than later. He shot 95.9% from the free throw line. Accidentally stumbled across him when watching San Diego St. play Boise St. He was the best player on the floor that day. At 52 why not take a shot on a player like this. Besides, I like the name.

53. Thunder: Cassius Winston. PG, 6'1", 185 Lb's, Senior, Michigan St. 32.7 mpg - 18.6 ppg - 44.8% fgp - 43.2% 3pp - 2.5 rpg - 5.9 apg - 1.2 stl's pg.
I'm not a fan of undersized PG's, but at 53, Winston is a good choice. I see him as a future back up PG in the league. Mainly because he can really shoot the ball, and to be honest, he's good at creating shots for others. He'll struggle on defense because of his size, and lack of quickness, but not for lack of effort.

54. Pacers: Payton Pritchard. PG, 6'2", 190 Lb's, Senior, Oregon. 36.5 mpg - 20.5 ppg - 46.8% fgp - 41.5% 3pp - 4.3 rpg - 5.5 apg - 1.5 stl's pg.
Another undersized PG in today's league. Payton is a good shooter and very good ball handler. He can hit shots in the catch and shoot, or off the dribble. He runs the P&R well. I would call him a decent to good defender. He certainly gives the effort.

55. Nets: Skylar Mays. PG/SG, 6'4", 205 Lb's, Senior, LSU. 34.4 mpg - 16.7 ppg - 49.1% fgp - 39.4% 3pp - 5.0 rpg - 3.2 apg - 1.8 stl's pg.
Nothing about Mays game leaps out at you when you watch him play. However he's a very efficient player who doesn't make a lot of mistakes. The word workhorse would be a good description. Defensively, he could struggle at the next level. He's a hard worker though, so I wouldn't count him out.

56. Hornets: Malachi Flynn. PG, 6'1", 185 Lb's, Junior, San Diego St. 33.4 mpg - 17.6 ppg - 44.1% fgp - 37.3% 3pp - 4.5 rpg - 5.1 apg -1.3 stl's pg.
Flynn plays with swagger. He was the heart and soul of the San Diego St. team. The only thing going against Flynn is his size, but if anyone can make up for it, he can. He's a bulldog of a player that impacts the game the moment he enters the game. He would bring some toughness to the Hornet team.

57. Clippers: Grant Riller. PG/SG, 6'3", 190 Lb's, Senior, Charleston. 33.5 mpg - 21.9 ppg - 49.9% fgp - 36.2% 3pp - 5.1 rpg - 3.9 apg - 1.6 stl's pg.
Riller was the man on his team. Not much he can't do. He plays as well off the ball as on. He can score from anywhere on the floor and I've seen him post up bigger players and score. His 3 pt percentage was a result of being the focus of the other teams defense. If he had played at Kentucky instead of Charleston, he'd be a 1st rd pick.

58. 76'ers: Marko Simonovic. PF/C, 6'11", 220 Lb's, 20 years old, K.K. Mega Bemax. 29.4 mpg - 17.3 ppg - 60.3% fgp - 41.7% 3pp - 13.0 rpg - 1.7 apg.
Another draft and stash player. Simonovic definitely shows some promise. His 3 pt percentage looks terrific, but he didn't take many of them, so take it with a grain of salt. Excellent rebounder who scores most of his points around the basket. Someone to keep an eye on.

59. Raptors: Aston Hagans. PG, 6'3", 198 Lb's, Soph, Kentucky. 33.1 mpg - 11.5 ppg - 40.4% fgp - 25.8% 3pp - 3.9 rpg - 6.4 apg - 1.9 stl's pg.
If Hagans could shoot the ball, even a little bit, he'd be a 1st rd pick. That aside, he might be the best defensive PG in the draft. He does everything but get inside the other players shorts. If someone can teach him to shoot, they'll have themselves a player. Hey, Marcus Smart couldn't shoot either when he came into the league.

60. Pelicans: Abdoulaye N'Doye. PG, 6'7", 205 Lb's, 22 years old, Cholet. 30.5 mpg - 10.1 ppg - 54.3% fgp - 44.1% 3pp - 4.2 rpg - 4.0 apg - 1.3 stl's pg.
N'Doye is a pretty talented player to be the last pick in the draft. To be honest I should have had him taken much earlier, so my bad. He has great size and length (7'1" wingspan). He's a very good mid-range scorer with a little 12 to 14 foot floater that's money. Good rebounder despite being a bit slender in build. I definitely think he has the NBA in his future.

Combining your 1st & 2nd rounds the Kings end up with:

Saddiq Bey
Elijah Hughes
Killian Tillie
Justinian Jessup

I can't really argue the selections (other than the last one, more below) given how you have the board shaking out. My favorite at #12 is Nesmith but with him gone to the Knicks I might prefer the Kings gamble on Patrick Williams over Bey. I think Williams has more potential but my concern is that he doesn't do any one thing really well.

I like Hughes and agree Tillie is worth the risk. That said, if Quickley lasts one more pick I'd snatch him at #43. I think he's an ideal 3rd guard who could play alongside Fox for streches or sub for him, especially with a playmaking SG like Bogi, if he's re-signed.

At 52 I'd take a draft and stash candidate but I don't see one worth investing in so you just look for someone who can make the team. I think you may have just missed them but since neither appears in your mock I'd snag Isaiah Joe or Ty-Shon Alexander with that last pick.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Combining your 1st & 2nd rounds the Kings end up with:

Saddiq Bey
Elijah Hughes
Killian Tillie
Justinian Jessup

I can't really argue the selections (other than the last one, more below) given how you have the board shaking out. My favorite at #12 is Nesmith but with him gone to the Knicks I might prefer the Kings gamble on Patrick Williams over Bey. I think Williams has more potential but my concern is that he doesn't do any one thing really well.

I like Hughes and agree Tillie is worth the risk. That said, if Quickley lasts one more pick I'd snatch him at #43. I think he's an ideal 3rd guard who could play alongside Fox for streches or sub for him, especially with a playmaking SG like Bogi, if he's re-signed.

At 52 I'd take a draft and stash candidate but I don't see one worth investing in so you just look for someone who can make the team. I think you may have just missed them but since neither appears in your mock I'd snag Isaiah Joe or Ty-Shon Alexander with that last pick.
I actually considered Joe and a couple of others, but I was sold on Jessup. I realize most people haven't seen him play, and that he played in a mid-level conference, but he impressed me, and so at 52, what the hell. I'm a big fan of Quickley, and I agree with you on him. Not only can he shoot the ball in catch and shoots, but he's also very good off the dribble. Add in that he's a terrific defender and what's not to like.

You get to a point where every player starts to look like equal value, so as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Williams may turn out to be a very good basketball player, or maybe not. But Bey is already a very good basketball player, and right now, in my opinion, the Kings need players that are more ready to play. I don't think Williams is. Yes he may have higher upside than Bey, but maybe not. It's almost as though a player gets penalized for being better at a similar age. The NBA graveyard is littered with players that had great upside. Hey, if I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Do you think there is any chance McDaniels will be there at 35?
I think there's a small chance, but personally, I wouldn't take him that high. He was a major disappointment to me this season. I think he'll be a wasted pick. Hey, there's always a chance someone can light a fire under him, but that's not the kind of player I'm looking for. I'd rather draft a less talented player with a great work ethic and a great motor.

McDaniels is the type of player the Nuggets or Raptors would gamble on in the first round with the hope of developing him. Or else the Celtics with 3 1st round picks will nab him.

I'm not a big fan but I think he goes in the first round.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
McDaniels is the type of player the Nuggets or Raptors would gamble on in the first round with the hope of developing him. Or else the Celtics with 3 1st round picks will nab him.

I agree, some team will take him at the bottom of the 1st rd. As I said, if a team can light a fire under him they'll have a good player. It really all comes down to work ethic and desire, which I criticized his brother for the lack of. I think I would rather start out with a self motivated player.

i didn't expect to see radanov in anywhere close on mock. interesting player, good IQ, can play point forward, but he wasted his 18/19 season warming a bench in red star.
problem was, roster was loaded with older and more experienced SG's and SF's.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Hey Baja, just curious if you know anything about Josh Hall. He came up in the second half of a mock draft and I hadn't heard of him so I took a quick look. Highlight tapes always look good but there might be something workable here. Looks like a prototype SF body listed at 6'9", took a 5th year at a prep school and then decommitted from NC State to go straight to the draft. Not sure about D (because in a highlight tape, how can you be?) but the jumper looks like it works and he does a really good job adjusting around the basket, both with the body and with the ball. Just wondering how much you had looked into this kid.

Agreed. You don't touch him in the first 25 picks, but after that, all you really care about is upside. Stash him for a year or 2, let him work on his body, get reps in the g-league. His archetype, if he hits (no matter how small the chance) is what dominates in today's game.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Hey Baja, just curious if you know anything about Josh Hall. He came up in the second half of a mock draft and I hadn't heard of him so I took a quick look. Highlight tapes always look good but there might be something workable here. Looks like a prototype SF body listed at 6'9", took a 5th year at a prep school and then decommitted from NC State to go straight to the draft. Not sure about D (because in a highlight tape, how can you be?) but the jumper looks like it works and he does a really good job adjusting around the basket, both with the body and with the ball. Just wondering how much you had looked into this kid.

Well believe it or not, I had two sleeper candidates for the Kings at 52. Justinian Jessup and Josh Hall. I finally decided to go with Jessup because I had actually seen him play against fairly good competition, where Hall looked more like a project. I would call Hall a four and half star candidate coming out of high school since Rivals had him as a five star and ESPN had him as a four star. He was recruited by several schools but decided to commit to North Carolina St.

Since he met the age requirements he declared for the draft. I thought he was just testing the waters, but he decided to stay in, so maybe he got a promise from some team. I can't imagine him going any sooner than the 2nd rd though. Of course I've watched high school film and he's a talented kid who got better after switching high schools to Oak Hill Academy. I believe he's currently ranked as the 42nd best player on ESPN's top 100 in what would be next years draft class. Hill would be one of those players that you draft and keep in the G-League for a couple of years to develop.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I thought I would say a few things about the 2nd rd picks I have for the Kings, starting with Elijah Hughes the 6'6" SF/SG out of Syracuse. I think this kid is first rd material and would be a steal in the 2nd rd. He's a terrific athlete and he comes with skills. He has a tight handle which enables him to get to the basket. It also makes him a good isolation player. He has no problem getting his own shot. Matter of fact, the majority of his baskets came out of isolation sets. I also think that accounts for him only shooting 34% from the three. He took shots he shouldn't have, but he was the offense on Syracuse.

I don't have his catch and shoot percentages, but I would bet that they're better than 34%. He has good form on his jumpshot, and he shot around 82% from the free throw line. One area where he needs to improve on offense is in finishing at the basket. He's very good at getting to the basket, but not always that good at finishing. Part of that is shot selection, but the greater part is simply getting better at it.. No reason not to. He's explosive enough, and strong enough. He just needs to work on his techniques.

I never thought I would say this about a Syracuse player, but I think this kid can become a very good defender. Maybe a lock down defender. As every one knows, syracuse plays a zone defense 100% of the time, or almost 100% of the time. So it's difficult to see any one on one defensive play. But when I did see that occasional isolation one on one, Hughes looked very good. He averaged 1.2 steals and 1.2 blocked shots. He's very good at playing the passing lanes.

He's an unselfish player and a good passer, although he sometimes tries the impossible pass. So his decision making needs to improve a bit. He did average 3.4 assists, and he could play the point in a pinch. However, I don't think that's his calling in life. I really like this kid and I could be wrong about him, but I don't think so. Here's a little video of him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Number two on my list was Killian Tillie the 6'10" PF from Gonzaga. As I'm said too many times on this forum already, if not for being a senior, and his injuries over his four years at Gonzaga, Tillie would be a lottery pick. And if a higher being could guarantee his health for the next 10 years, he would likely be at least a mid first round pick. Although he didn't put up mind blowing stats, he only played 24 minutes a game, mostly because Mark Few used him sparingly, saving him for the crucial moments of the game, and also trying to keep him healthy.

He almost managed to get through this season in good health. However he missed a few games at the beginning of the season because of preventive knee surgery, whatever that is. Tillie, when healthy is a hell of a basket ball player. He can score from anywhere on the floor. He has every shot in his bag from posting up, hitting the mid-range to hitting the three. He shot 44.4% from the three for his career while shooting 54.8% overall. He only averaged 4.6 rebounds, but Few had him out on the perimeter a lot trying to spread the floor, which also kept him out of harms way under the basket. However, he is a good re-bounder. Other than his scoring, the one thing that really stands out about him is his passing.

He's been called the French Kevin Love, and it's a solid comp. He makes everyone around him better. He has great basketball instincts along with great court vision. Gonzaga often ran the ball through him at the top of the key. He's an excellent pick and roll player, either rolling to the basket, or stopping and popping. He's better defensively than one would think, simply because he's a smart basketball player. He has solid lateral movement despite all his injuries and defends the perimeter better than you would expect. Actually, other than injuries, he has no glaring weaknesses. Here's a quote form a 76'er scouting report.

“If it weren't for the injuries” is a phrase commonly associated with Killian Tillie.

"If it weren't for the injuries, Tillie would have been one of the best players in Gonzaga history. If it weren't for the injuries, Tillie would be a lock to be chosen in the first round of the 2020 NBA Draft.

But as much as Tillie would like to, he can't shake his injury-riddled past. In four years at Gonzaga, he dealt with knee surgery, a torn ligament in his foot, a stress fracture in his ankle, numerous sprained ankles, a broken finger and a hip pointer. The long list of injuries forced him to miss a total of 38 games during his college career."

Despite all those injuries, he hasn't lost much of his athleticism, and upon arriving at Gonzaga, he was an above average athlete. He had also considered a career as a professional volley ball player. Both his father, mother, and one of his brothers were, or are pro volley ball players. Bottom line is, Tillie comes with risk, but as a mid 2nd rd pick, why the hell not. Maybe a professional NBA's training staff can prevent some of those injuries. Here's a video.

I thought I would say a few things about the 2nd rd picks I have for the Kings, starting with Elijah Hughes the 6'6" SF/SG out of Syracuse. I think this kid is first rd material and would be a steal in the 2nd rd. He's a terrific athlete and he comes with skills. He has a tight handle which enables him to get to the basket. It also makes him a good isolation player. He has no problem getting his own shot. Matter of fact, the majority of his baskets came out of isolation sets. I also think that accounts for him only shooting 34% from the three. He took shots he shouldn't have, but he was the offense on Syracuse.

I don't have his catch and shoot percentages, but I would bet that they're better than 34%. He has good form on his jumpshot, and he shot around 82% from the free throw line. One area where he needs to improve on offense is in finishing at the basket. He's very good at getting to the basket, but not always that good at finishing. Part of that is shot selection, but the greater part is simply getting better at it.. No reason not to. He's explosive enough, and strong enough. He just needs to work on his techniques.

I never thought I would say this about a Syracuse player, but I think this kid can become a very good defender. Maybe a lock down defender. As every one knows, syracuse plays a zone defense 100% of the time, or almost 100% of the time. So it's difficult to see any one on one defensive play. But when I did see that occasional isolation one on one, Hughes looked very good. He averaged 1.2 steals and 1.2 blocked shots. He's very good at playing the passing lanes.

He's an unselfish player and a good passer, although he sometimes tries the impossible pass. So his decision making needs to improve a bit. He did average 3.4 assists, and he could play the point in a pinch. However, I don't think that's his calling in life. I really like this kid and I could be wrong about him, but I don't think so. Here's a little video of him.

He does look like a future all-star in that clip. Hopefully he’s there at 35

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well with the draft rapidly approaching I thought I would list a group of players that should/could be available in the 2nd rd and who would look good on the Kings. I'm not listing them in any particular order because this almost like a shotgun draft. You have no idea where any of them are going to land. I think all of the players I list will be NBA players and I think some will eventually be starters. Some sooner than others.

1. Tyler Bey: SF, 6'7", 216 Lb's, 7'1" wingspan, Junior.
Bey is a terrific defender who also shot 41.9% from the three and 53.0% overall. Amazingly he pulled down 9 boards a game while averaging 1.5 steals and 1.2 blocks. He's an excellent athlete with a great motor that never stops. He has good BBIQ and looks to be a prototypical 3 and D player in the NBA. He needs to tighten up his handles, and he needs to get a little stronger, but I'm sure that in time those things will take care of themselves. He is not related to Saddiq.

2. Killian Tillie: PF, 6'11", Senior. Since I've already posted my thoughts and a video on Tillie there's no need for another.

3. Isaiah Joe: SG, 6'5", 180 Lb's, 6'7.5" wingspan, Junior.
Joe was the best player on the Arkansas team. He averaged around 38% his two years of college and took a crazy 10 a game his sophomore year. He's a willing defender averaging 1.4 steals a game. After shooting around 42% from the three his freshman year, he dropped to 34% his soph year. However he took a lot of challenged shots as he was the focus of the other teams defense. He has incredible range on his perimeter shot sometimes pulling up from 35 feet and nailing it. I'm not sure he makes it to us, but if so, he'd be hard to pass on.

4. Elijah Hughes: SG, 6'6", 215 Lb's, 6'9" wingspan, Jr.
Huges is an underrated player in my opinion. He was the best player on the Syracuse team, and I'm breaking one of my rules here suggesting the Kings draft a Syracuse player. The list of Syracuse players that never lived up to expectations is a long one. I'm taxing my brain, but I believe Melo is the last player to come out of Syracuse that was a star. Since they only play a 2/3 zone, its hard to judge their defense. But I like Hughes, and in the 2nd rd, why not take a chance.

Robert Woodard: SF, 6'7", 235 Lb's, 7'1" wingspan, Soph.
Woodard is another player that's flying under the radar and I'm not sure why. He's an excellent defender with a huge wingspan, and a very good rebounder for his position (6.5 rpg). He's a good catch and shoot player, shooting 42.9% from the three. Because of his length and strength, he can defend both the SF and PF positions. He's not a great shot creator so he projects as a 3 and D type player. He knows what his strengths are and he plays within them.

5. Payton Pritchard: PG, 6'2", 190 Lb's, 6'5" wingspan, Sr.
Pritchard will likely never be a starter in the NBA, but I see him as a very good bench player who brings toughness and fire onto the floor. He's not a great athlete, but he's a determined defender with quick feet. Although his lack of length hurts him, he's strong and holds his own against bigger players at the point of attack. He's a player that wants to take the big shot to win the game, and he shot 41.5% from the three. He's an excellent passer with good court vision. While lacking an explosive first step, he gets to the rim at will. The only reason he's a 2nd rd pick is that he's a senior, and a bit undersized in todays NBA.

To be continued:

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Alright, picking up where I left off here are a few more players that are either more ready to play, or have the potential to be better than their current projection. So with no further ado......

6. Immanuel Quickley: PG/SG, 6'3", 188 Lb's, 6'8" wingspan, Soph.
Quickley is one of those players that my gut tells me will be better than most think. He's a tenacious on ball defender with long arms and quick feet. He's a good athlete but not an elite athlete. He shot the ball very well from the three (42.8%) while taking just a tick under five a game. He's a 92% freethrow shooter. He came to Kentucky as a PG, but with so many on the roster, he learned to play off the ball, and he has a knack for finding the open spot on the floor. I think he's more of a shooting guard who can bring the ball up if needed.

7. Paul Reed: PF, 6'9", 220 Lb's, 7'2" wingspan, Junior.
I've loved Reed for a couple of years now, and to be honest, I'll be shocked if he doesn't go in the first rd. He's a terrific athlete who plays much bigger than his 6'9" height. He's one of the best defenders in college with a non stop motor. He blocked 2.6 shots a game while grabbing 10.7 boards a game. Thanks to his long arms, he had 1.9 steals a game. He has great touch around the basket pulls off some amazing athletic shots at times. He's shown the ability to shoot the three (30.8%), but his form needs some work. However he shot 51.6% overall. I'm not sure how good Reed can be, but whatever his ceiling is, I'm sure he'll reach it.

8. Cassius Stanley: SG, 6'6", 193 Lb's, 6'7" wingspan, Fr.
If you want to bet on upside potential in the 2nd rd, then Stanley is your man. He's an elite athlete who can jump out of the building. He's reported to have a 46 inch vertical. In my opinion, Stanley should have stayed another year at Duke and he would have been a 1st rd pick. Stanley is one of those players with all the God given physical gifts. All he needs is some development, and if he has the proper work ethic, he could be something special. He's certainly a player I would use a pick on in the 2nd rd.

9. Jordan Nwora: SF, 225 Lb's, 6'10" wingspan, Jr.
Nwora is a very skilled player with good BBIQ. He's a very good 3pt shooter (40.2%) and rebounder for his position (7.7 rpg). He's not a great athlete, and lacks explosion around the basket in traffic. However he has a good mid-range game to go along with his perimeter shooting. Despite his lack of elite athleticism, he's and excellent on the ball defender and a smart team defender. Because of his strength, and length, he can probably guard both the SF and PF positions. I would project him as a career bench rotational player.

10. Borisa Simanic: SF/PF/?, 7'0", 205 Lb's, 22 yr's old.
I had to get at least one European player into the mix, and since I'd seen Simanic play a few times, he's gets the prize. Actually, Simanic is an interesting player. He's a crazy good 3pt shooter (51,5%) and he reportedly has a 38 inch vertical. He's a very skilled player for a 7 footer. Obviously his age, and his lack of muscle puts him into the 2nd rd, or perhaps even undrafted. He's a player I would mind taking a flyer on with our 3rd pick in the 2nd rd. He's a good passer and he has decent handles. He appears to be a willing defender, but needs to get stronger.

I have a few honorable mentions as well.

Trey Jones: 6'3", 185 Lb PG
Zeke Nnaji: 6'11", 240 Lb center
Udoka Azubuike: 7'0", 270 Lb center
Vernon Carey: 6'10", 250 Lb center
Matthew Hurt: 6'9", 214 Lb SF

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I’m not really sure why Tyler Bey is not a 1st rounder, but if he’s there at 35 it’s an absolute no brainer.
I certainly agree with you on Tyler. And I wouldn't be surprised if a team at the bottom of the first round grabs him. But yeah, if he sitting there at 35 you grab him and go home happy. As stated previously, this is a strange draft and it's hard to predict where anyone is going. I almost added Daniel Oturu to this list, but I can't believe he won't go in the first round. Ditto Desmond Bane and Grant Riller. It's going to be a wild draft.

simanić is a bust, so forget about him

several reasons:

he does have physical tools and a 3pt shot but didn't improve a bit in the past 4 years
currently has a 200k euros yearly contract with a red star and he's pretty happy with it
rumours about playing video games for the whole night so he's usually late for morning practices
avoids contacts and entering the lane, constantly camping on 3pt line both offence and defence
ball handling zero, low post game zero, defence zero (except shot-blocking, like WCS was in college days)
had some minutes in 2018/19 season, today he's out of first 12 players
had 5-6 head coaches in red star and most of them benched him in some moment
earned nicknames like poor man's dragan bender, poorer poor man's michael porter jr

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Thanks for all the insight here, Baja! BTW, Hurt is returning to school for another year. He should be fun to watch this season.
Thanks for the info. I had a question mark next to his name on my cheat sheet. Now I remember what it was for. Don't get old!!
simanić is a bust, so forget about him

several reasons:

he does have physical tools and a 3pt shot but didn't improve a bit in the past 4 years
currently has a 200k euros yearly contract with a red star and he's pretty happy with it
rumours about playing video games for the whole night so he's usually late for morning practices
avoids contacts and entering the lane, constantly camping on 3pt line both offence and defence
ball handling zero, low post game zero, defence zero (except shot-blocking, like WCS was in college days)
had some minutes in 2018/19 season, today he's out of first 12 players
had 5-6 head coaches in red star and most of them benched him in some moment
earned nicknames like poor man's dragan bender, poorer poor man's michael porter jr
LOL! Well he wasn't that high on my list anyway. I just thought I'd stick one stash in Europe player into the mix. I doubt he's even on the King's radar. Now if Vlade was still here, who knows, since he's a Serb. Being called a poor man's Bender is an insult, but I like Porter Jr. a lot, so not so bad.

Alright, picking up where I left off here are a few more players that are either more ready to play, or have the potential to be better than their current projection. So with no further ado......

6. Immanuel Quickley: PG/SG, 6'3", 188 Lb's, 6'8" wingspan, Soph.
Quickley is one of those players that my gut tells me will be better than most think. He's a tenacious on ball defender with long arms and quick feet. He's a good athlete but not an elite athlete. He shot the ball very well from the three (42.8%) while taking just a tick under five a game. He's a 92% freethrow shooter. He came to Kentucky as a PG, but with so many on the roster, he learned to play off the ball, and he has a knack for finding the open spot on the floor. I think he's more of a shooting guard who can bring the ball up if needed.

7. Paul Reed: PF, 6'9", 220 Lb's, 7'2" wingspan, Junior.
I've loved Reed for a couple of years now, and to be honest, I'll be shocked if he doesn't go in the first rd. He's a terrific athlete who plays much bigger than his 6'9" height. He's one of the best defenders in college with a non stop motor. He blocked 2.6 shots a game while grabbing 10.7 boards a game. Thanks to his long arms, he had 1.9 steals a game. He has great touch around the basket pulls off some amazing athletic shots at times. He's shown the ability to shoot the three (30.8%), but his form needs some work. However he shot 51.6% overall. I'm not sure how good Reed can be, but whatever his ceiling is, I'm sure he'll reach it.

8. Cassius Stanley: SG, 6'6", 193 Lb's, 6'7" wingspan, Fr.
If you want to bet on upside potential in the 2nd rd, then Stanley is your man. He's an elite athlete who can jump out of the building. He's reported to have a 46 inch vertical. In my opinion, Stanley should have stayed another year at Duke and he would have been a 1st rd pick. Stanley is one of those players with all the God given physical gifts. All he needs is some development, and if he has the proper work ethic, he could be something special. He's certainly a player I would use a pick on in the 2nd rd.

9. Jordan Nwora: SF, 225 Lb's, 6'10" wingspan, Jr.
Nwora is a very skilled player with good BBIQ. He's a very good 3pt shooter (40.2%) and rebounder for his position (7.7 rpg). He's not a great athlete, and lacks explosion around the basket in traffic. However he has a good mid-range game to go along with his perimeter shooting. Despite his lack of elite athleticism, he's and excellent on the ball defender and a smart team defender. Because of his strength, and length, he can probably guard both the SF and PF positions. I would project him as a career bench rotational player.

10. Borisa Simanic: SF/PF/?, 7'0", 205 Lb's, 22 yr's old.
I had to get at least one European player into the mix, and since I'd seen Simanic play a few times, he's gets the prize. Actually, Simanic is an interesting player. He's a crazy good 3pt shooter (51,5%) and he reportedly has a 38 inch vertical. He's a very skilled player for a 7 footer. Obviously his age, and his lack of muscle puts him into the 2nd rd, or perhaps even undrafted. He's a player I would mind taking a flyer on with our 3rd pick in the 2nd rd. He's a good passer and he has decent handles. He appears to be a willing defender, but needs to get stronger.

I have a few honorable mentions as well.

Trey Jones: 6'3", 185 Lb PG
Zeke Nnaji: 6'11", 240 Lb center
Udoka Azubuike: 7'0", 270 Lb center
Vernon Carey: 6'10", 250 Lb center
Matthew Hurt: 6'9", 214 Lb SF

My two favorite second round players are Paul Reed and Jordan Nwora.

With Reed it's just a matter of him adjusting his mechanics (as ugly as his shot is he's fairly consistent so it's not like he's a non-shooter) tightening his handle and being more consistent with defensive fundamentals.

For Nwora I think it comes down to him accepting a role as a 3&D guy. When he tried to create his own offense he struggled. He's just not quick or shifty enough to create space easily. But as spot up shooter he's fantastic. And better in transition than he gets credit for.

I don't know if he'll last to the second round (I've seen him anywhere from #24 to #53 in recent mock drafts) but another guy I love who could help right away is Grant Riller. I worry about the fact that he played primarily lower competition and struggled any time he did play a top 25 team but if his game translates he could be a sparkplug of a backup PG who just gets buckets.

Hopefully the Kings package a couple 2nds to move up for a guy they want but if they keep #52 I like N'Doye as a draft and stash candidate or Azubuike as a big body at the end of the bench.

I think with the shift to smaller, faster lineups where everyone shoots threes, traditional big men are starting to actually be undervalued.

Some of my favourites in the second, some of whom I'm sure will be gone, and others who will be available (I'm listing quiet a few since we have 3 second rounders):

• Isaiah Stewart
  • Xavier Tillman
  • Nico Mannion
  • Paul Reed
  • Jordan Nwora
  • Devon Dotson
  • Killian Tillie
  • Elijah Hughes
  • Emmanuel Quickley
  • Paul Eboua
  • Markus Howard

There are of course other prospects that I would love in the second (Tyler Bey, Daniel Oturu, Desmond Bane, Leandro Bolmaro), but for the purposes of keeping this list reasonably short, I'm going to assume they're already gone.

I'm going to assume we sell/trade at least one of our second rounders. If we came away with two of the above, I would consider that a success. There's even a chance the likes of Eboua or Howard go undrafted. I like Cassius Winston too, his body needs an overhaul but he is very crafty.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
My two favorite second round players are Paul Reed and Jordan Nwora.

With Reed it's just a matter of him adjusting his mechanics (as ugly as his shot is he's fairly consistent so it's not like he's a non-shooter) tightening his handle and being more consistent with defensive fundamentals.

For Nwora I think it comes down to him accepting a role as a 3&D guy. When he tried to create his own offense he struggled. He's just not quick or shifty enough to create space easily. But as spot up shooter he's fantastic. And better in transition than he gets credit for.

I don't know if he'll last to the second round (I've seen him anywhere from #24 to #53 in recent mock drafts) but another guy I love who could help right away is Grant Riller. I worry about the fact that he played primarily lower competition and struggled any time he did play a top 25 team but if his game translates he could be a sparkplug of a backup PG who just gets buckets.

Hopefully the Kings package a couple 2nds to move up for a guy they want but if they keep #52 I like N'Doye as a draft and stash candidate or Azubuike as a big body at the end of the bench.

I think with the shift to smaller, faster lineups where everyone shoots threes, traditional big men are starting to actually be undervalued.
I'll be shocked if Riller doesn't go in the 1st rd, but I can say that about several players that are projected to go in the 2nd. I like Nwora and your dead right about him. He's not an off the dribble guy, and if he had stuck to catch and shoots, his percentages would be higher. One thing about him is that can play both forward positions, even though he gives up a little height at the PF.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Some of my favourites in the second, some of whom I'm sure will be gone, and others who will be available (I'm listing quiet a few since we have 3 second rounders):

• Isaiah Stewart
  • Xavier Tillman
  • Nico Mannion
  • Paul Reed
  • Jordan Nwora
  • Devon Dotson
  • Killian Tillie
  • Elijah Hughes
  • Emmanuel Quickley
  • Paul Eboua
  • Markus Howard

There are of course other prospects that I would love in the second (Tyler Bey, Daniel Oturu, Desmond Bane, Leandro Bolmaro), but for the purposes of keeping this list reasonably short, I'm going to assume they're already gone.

I'm going to assume we sell/trade at least one of our second rounders. If we came away with two of the above, I would consider that a success. There's even a chance the likes of Eboua or Howard go undrafted. I like Cassius Winston too, his body needs an overhaul but he is very crafty.
It's funny, but I haven't mentioned Tillman at all, and he's really a solid player that can do a little bit of every thing. High BBIQ and good post defender with a nice offense to go along. Very underrated player who I think will have a long NBA career. Not a bad list though. I think Stewart goes in the first rd, but I'd certainly take him if he fell, unless Tyler Bey is there. Best help defender in college, almost to the point of being amazing. Mannion is a nice pick up in the 2nd, which is where I think he belongs, but some team will take him in the first. I wish Dotson was a better shooter. If he can develop a reasonable 3 pt shot, you'd have yourself a very good player.

While this is a weak draft at the top, there's a lot of quality deep into the 2nd rd, which sort of makes up for it..