Baja Den's final 2020 mock draft:

Where do I begin? OK, I like Green, and he may turnout to be one of the best players in this draft a couple of years from now. Or, maybe he won't. So, is he a better player than Vassell? in my opinion, no, not at the moment. Is he a better player than Saddiq Bey? No again, not at the moment. How about Nesmith? No! Is he a better player than Kira Lewis? You know what, I don't think so. So then why are we even talking about him at 12? Unless you think none of those players have any ceiling left or that his ceiling will be higher than any of them.

Green is a very good athlete, and looks like he'll be a good defender. But even if Green exceeds everyone's expectations, how good will he be? I don't ask that in a critical way, but in a curious way. How good do you really think he can be. I also ask because I can articulate that answer when it comes to Vassell, Bey, Nesmith and Lewis, but I have trouble when it comes Green. He's more of a mystery to me than the others. He doesn't have that one thing you can hang your hat on like the others do. Doesn't mean he won't be as good or better than them, but right now, they're more proven than him. I guess I like to go with more proven commodities.

Hey, I didn't think that Tyler Herro would be as good as he is. You just never know..
Well if the talk is about coming away from this draft with both Bey and Green then presumably it would be because the Kings acquired another 1st rounder in the teens or very early 20's, not because they took Green at 12. At least that's how I was interpreting things.

Buddy to Philly for Thybull, #21 and the filler to make salaries work? I'd take that in a heartbeat and Green would be one of top targets if he's still in the board.

Fox
Bogi
Thybull
Barnes
Bagley

With rookies like Bey, Nesmith, Achiuwa, Pokusevski or Bey at #12, Green, Terry, or Lewis at #21 and at least one of the 2nd rounders panning out along with whoever returns out of Bjelica, Holmes, Parker, Giles Len, Joseph, and Bazemore could be a team that could get up and down the floor, score and (hopefully) defend.

Last edited:
Thybulle averaged 4.7ppg last year. Keep that in mind.

Great defender but I think Buddy is worth more than him and a late 1st rounder.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Thybulle averaged 4.7ppg last year. Keep that in mind.

Great defender but I think Buddy is worth more than him and a late 1st rounder.
I agree, but if you put value on relieving yourself of Buddy's salary, then maybe your OK with it. To be honest, I'm torn. How many games did Buddy win for us last season? I don't have the answer to that question, but I do wonder. I could likely answer the question of how many games did Buddy lose for us last season easier. There was a point where you couldn't afford to have him on the floor the last 4 or 5 minutes of the game because of his careless turnovers, or taking quick highly contested shots instead of running clock.

Buddy is a terrific shooter, but I question his value when it comes to winning. That said, I would like to get as much for him as possible if we decide to move him. Thybulle may be one of those players that only scores 10 to 12 pt's a game, but does more to contribute to win's than Buddy does with his 20 pt's a game. It's a gray area I know, but at the end of the day, it's not about how many points your score, it's about winning.

Just started watching some vids of some players in the Kings range I've seen Bey and Precious Achiuwa so far.

What i can say is Bey looks solid. Like one of those all around utility player kind of guys, tough, good build, he'll be a solid player.

And Precious Achiuwa, this guy is NICE. Super impressed, seemed to have a decent looking jumpshot but moreso to me he looks fluid, he has a nice touch with the ball, super great blocking instincts, defensive instincts, tough. I'm not sure of his playmaking ability , havent seen enough, but honestly not sure if that matters I just know by watching him that he knows how to play the game, and will be super important for a team.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Just started watching some vids of some players in the Kings range I've seen Bey and Precious Achiuwa so far.

What i can say is Bey looks solid. Like one of those all around utility player kind of guys, tough, good build, he'll be a solid player.

And Precious Achiuwa, this guy is NICE. Super impressed, seemed to have a decent looking jumpshot but moreso to me he looks fluid, he has a nice touch with the ball, super great blocking instincts, defensive instincts, tough. I'm not sure of his playmaking ability , havent seen enough, but honestly not sure if that matters I just know by watching him that he knows how to play the game, and will be super important for a team.
Yeah, I raved about Achiuwa some time ago. I was very impressed with him this past season and he just looks like a future star to me. He has a great motor, the makings of a decent mid-range shot, and his lateral quickness and defensive instincts are impressive. Throw in that he looks like an elite athlete with toughness, and you have to consider him at twelve.

If Vassell is off the board then Bey is still my first choice, but I would be happy with any of these players.

Bey
Nesmith
Lewis
Achiuwa

Now if we were to acquire another pick in the 18 to 25 range through a trade, then I would take a serious look at Aleksej Pokusevski, Josh Green, Tyrese Maxey, Patrick Williams, Tyler Bey, Daniel Oturu, and Jalen Smith. Of course whoever we would take at 12 would influence who we took with the second 1st rd pick. But on personal bias alone, I love Jalen Smith's game and potential, and would have a hard time passing on him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well if the talk is about coming away from this draft with both Bey and Green then presumably it would be because the Kings acquired another 1st rounder in the teens or very early 20's, not because they took Green at 12. At least that's how I was interpreting things.

Buddy to Philly for Thybull, #21 and the filler to make salaries work? I'd take that in a heartbeat and Green would be one of top targets if he's still in the board.

Fox
Bogi
Thybull
Barnes
Bagley

With rookies like Bey, Nesmith, Achiuwa, Pokusevski or Bey at #12, Green, Terry, or Lewis at #21 and at least one of the 2nd rounders panning out along with whoever returns out of Bjelica, Holmes, Parker, Giles Len, Joseph, and Bazemore could be a team that could get up and down the floor, score and (hopefully) defend.
Wouldn't have a problem with Green at 21. I would prefer Jalen Smith, but that's just personal bias, and fear that we might be a bit short on bigs if we don't resign Homes, Giles walks, and we let Bjelica go. That would leave us essentially with Bagley, who has yet to prove he can remain healthy, and even if he can, you would still need a solid backup if we don't retain Holmes, which I hope we do.

Wouldn't have a problem with Green at 21. I would prefer Jalen Smith, but that's just personal bias, and fear that we might be a bit short on bigs if we don't resign Homes, Giles walks, and we let Bjelica go. That would leave us essentially with Bagley, who has yet to prove he can remain healthy, and even if he can, you would still need a solid backup if we don't retain Holmes, which I hope we do.
Im not sure about all the logistics, but thinking if there’s any possibility of Buddy for Thybull and 21 Philadelphia would push to include a big in Horford as well. Anyways there’s another big, though old with a hefty contract, and salaries need to match somehow.

@bajaden do you see Vassell as a full time SF?

Height = 6’7”
Wingspan = 6’10”
Weight = 194 lbs

I question his ability to be full time, starter at SF. I see him more as a SG who can swing up to SF in spots (like Bogdan).

bajaden

Hall of Famer
@bajaden do you see Vassell as a full time SF?

Height = 6’7”
Wingspan = 6’10”
Weight = 194 lbs

I question his ability to be full time, starter at SF. I see him more as a SG who can swing up to SF in spots (like Bogdan).
Well, he needs to get stronger, but I'll say this, he's a tough hombre right now. I've watched him battle through screens without flinching. He's certainly long enough. The NBA is full of 6'6" SF's so him at 6'7" shouldn't be a problem. But he can also play the SG position. He guarded 4 positions at Florida St. Instinctively he may be the best defender in college. He just has a nose for the ball and always seems to be where it is to contest the shot.. His ability to read the floor on defense is off the charts. I'd just put him out there and you can call him anything you want.