Backup PG targets

I like Yogi better than Mason don't get me wrong, I think he would win the battle for the backup spot.. Just similar in stature and game.
Prob w/Mason is he turns down open looks on the perimeter and when he drives his wreckless abandon is disheartening (to me).
Mason has all the tools, quick first step, athleticism, good 3pt shot, etc, but Yogi plays the game right. Maybe he can teach some of these things to Mason.

I can visualize Yogi's pick and pop w/ Giles or Bjelly. It would add so much to our offense, clear driving lanes, open up other shots for buddy or bogi.

Yogi is good and imho (at this point) a serious upgrade at backup pg. Plus hes basically the same age as Mason.

So many positives

Yogi would be a seriously nice upgrade over Mason. He got moved off-ball last year which hurt is playmaking opportunities, but he's a pretty good passer. He's a really great spot-up shooter, doesn't turn the ball over and he can play the 1 and 2 so there's a nice fit there with Fox in certain LU's.

His defensive on/off is kinda stupid ridiculous too last season. Mavs were 9 !!!!!! points better with him on the floor than with him off. I almost wonder if that's a mistake or if Yogi's sub was just that horrible last year. He was also 9th in DRPM last year for PGs which is actually sort of surprising. So maybe there's something to the defense.

Regardless, this would be a good pick-up. Adds good shooting and a back-up playmaker who can play on or off ball. I'm for it. Bjelica/Yogi/Nwaba?? to finish out the bench would actually be a good off-season and 3 nice upgrades on the bench. I'm about it.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yogi would be a seriously nice upgrade over Mason. He got moved off-ball last year which hurt is playmaking opportunities, but he's a pretty good passer. He's a really great spot-up shooter, doesn't turn the ball over and he can play the 1 and 2 so there's a nice fit there with Fox in certain LU's.

His defensive on/off is kinda stupid ridiculous too last season. Mavs were 9 !!!!!! points better with him on the floor than with him off. I almost wonder if that's a mistake or if Yogi's sub was just that horrible last year. He was also 9th in DRPM last year for PGs which is actually sort of surprising. So maybe there's something to the defense.

Regardless, this would be a good pick-up. Adds good shooting and a back-up playmaker who can play on or off ball. I'm for it. Bjelica/Yogi/Nwaba?? to finish out the bench would actually be a good off-season and 3 nice upgrades on the bench. I'm about it.
Do you think he would in excel in an open court high pace kind of game, especially getting teammates the ball on the fast break?

Do you think he would in excel in an open court high pace kind of game, especially getting teammates the ball on the fast break?
Absolutely, especially because he can play off-ball and adds another playmaker/ball-handler/shooter on the floor for us in certain LU's. Guys like that are always valuable for running teams. So he'd be very comfortable next to Fox or Bogdan as the lead ball-handlers or he could take it himself. I think he'll actually be better on-ball too because his playmaking was underutilized last year next to DSJ and Barea. The Mavs pretty much kept him at SG for most of the season.