Backup PG targets

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Why not Dennis Schroder as the backup? 15.5mil per year for the next 3 seasons could end up a major bargain and with Fox on the rookie deal those 3 szn's it all lines up perfectly, isn't over allocating $$$ to PG spot.. He could win the 6th man of the year ez and they could get him a ton of minutes for sure.

He is absolutely one of the quickest in the league, paired with Fox there'd be no let up.
I don't see Schroder getting on board with being a back up PG on a lottery team when is currently the Hawks starter, besides, he would start over Fox if he were here.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I've been far from a big Willie fan, but he's been seriously underrated and even hated by fans (not saying you). I go on the STR article and it's nothing but WCS hate. I don't get it.

Willie is definitely a starting C. Right now, he would immediately start with the Lakers, Clippers, Suns, Spurs, Hawks, Celtics, and Cavs. Last season he averaged 28mins: 12.8pts 7rebs 0.9blks 1.1stls 2.4asts on 50/0/61.9
If he's that great, then it's going to be 1) easy to trade him and 2) easy to get somebody quite good for him. We'll see. I hope there are GMs of other teams who esteem WCS as highly as you do, but I'm not holding my breath.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Spurs-Nope, Pau and LMA
Suns-Nope, Ayton and whoever they small-ball PF between Ariza/Jackson
Hawks-Nope, I'm taking Dedmon's rim protection, rebounding and efficiency near the rim.
Celtics-Nope, Tatum/Horford

Clippers-Really close with Gortat/Harrell there. Depending on your starting 5, I could believe WCS starting here.
Lakers-Yes, over Javale
Cavs-Yes, over TT/Nance, good fit with Love

Probably a few other teams he'd start on, but he's a low-tier starter at C. Not a bad player by any means, but he's a bit stuck in no man's land right now where he's better than most bench players and worse than most starters. Which to me, makes it scary going into his contract year on how to properly value him.
And I doubt Javale is going to be the starting center for the Lakers when the regular season begins. I'd also take Gortat/Harrell over WCS. Other than that, I wholeheartedly agree.

Well napier to nets
I thought after waiving randy foye they only had a little over 3.2.

I'm very interested to see how much $.

Why didnt we get in on this?

The backup PG market is drying up pretty quick here.

I am thinking that Vlade may be comfortable going into the season with Frank Mason as the backup point guard.

Looking at the remaining Free Agent PG on the market, Frank Mason may be the best option.

Hopefully his Summer League "hero ball" performance was just an aberration. I don't remember him being such a "black hole" during the regular season last year.

He actually had pretty decent stats last year, compared to the free agent PG still available.

Last Year Stats: 7.9 points / 2.8 assists / 2.5 rebounds in 18.9 minutes. 37.9% FG and 36% 3 Point %.

Per 40 min 16.8 points / 6.0 assists /5.8 rebounds. +/- was a respectable -1.3

https://stats.nba.com/player/1628412/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season&PerMode=Per40

I'm hoping Mason can develop into a good, reliable back up point guard, if Joeger can get him to look to pass the ball more.

Last edited:
Lets trade for Jeremy Lin, Hawks have too many guards
Go for the gusto and get the big fish SCHRUDDDDAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! He's perfect. People here seem to like Harry Giles demeanor, Dennis really gets under opponents skin as well.
He'll have a major axe to grind, which is when he's at his best. Like I said before the Kings can pave the way for him to get tons of minutes and compete for the 6th man.

His value isn't gonna go lower than it is right now.. perfect buy low opportunity. Kings could extract immense value from him for the next 3 seasons at 15.5 per. Lin makes almost that much this szn.

I think Fox and Dennis would co-exist much better than Dennis and Teague. I could see it ending with the Kings trading Dennis at the 2020 trade deadline for a pretty penny to a team who needs a PG for the playoff run. He's a major chip to hold. Say whatever bad stuff ya want about him, he's starter quality and quick as a cat, one of the quickest in the league easily, top-5 for sure.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Watching Portland and Boston in SL semis and they said that Mason was the Co-leader in assists during VSL along with Wade Baldwin. Didn’t realize that about Mason but watching Baldwin, I don’t think he’s signed a 2 way with anyone and I thought Portland let him go....maybe not. Baldwin has enough size to be a combo guard.....maybe he’s a cheap option to sign. Always thought Memphis gave up on him really quick.

Edit.......Baldwin is under contract with Portland

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Watching Portland and Boston in SL semis and they said that Mason was the Co-leader in assists during VSL along with Wade Baldwin. Didn’t realize that about Mason but watching Baldwin, I don’t think he’s signed a 2 way with anyone and I thought Portland let him go....maybe not. Baldwin has enough size to be a combo guard.....maybe he’s a cheap option to sign. Always thought Memphis gave up on him really quick.
Sign him instead of whom? We already have a qualifying offer to JaKarr Sampson and quite frankly I'd rather see Wenyen Gabriel get our second two-way. I'm just not convinced that assists in SL will translate that well in real life, so to speak. Playing against REAL NBA defenders exposes all the weaknesses of a point guard pretty quickly. David Stockton comes to mind. He always was respectable in SL.

Pat Beverly
So the clippers, now that they kept milos, have 15 guaranteed contracts. The Clippers signed a very similar player in Avery Bradley and have Jawun Evans as well.

Pat Beverly is unguaranteed.

If he becomes available, how about full MLE for Beverly? We would still have cap space, get a fighter on the defensive end, and an upgrade over Mason.

Last edited:
Pat Beverly
So the clippers, now that they kept milos, have 15 guaranteed contracts. The Clippers signed a very similar player in Avery Bradley and have Jawun Evans as well.

If he becomes available, how about full MLE for Beverly? We would still have cap space, get a fighter on the defensive end, and an upgrade over Mason.
Would be a nice consolation prize since they more than likely aren't getting Smart.

Pat Beverly

At 5 million it's hard to see them let him go, they could immediately trade him for something positive in value if they wanted.

Pat Beverly

perfect backup. all for it

Shams Charania: Sources: Guard Yogi Ferrell has changed course on Dallas Mavericks deal in order to reenter free agency. “We felt uncomfortable and will weigh our options,” agent Cervando Tejeda said.

– via Twitter ShamsCharania

Mavs deal was 2.9mil 1 yr

Maybe 4 mil, 1mil Guar on second yr, whatever needed to get RFA status 3rd yr?
Only 25 yr old
37.3 and 40.3 3pt % over last 2 yrs
He played in all 82 games last year.

He is only 1 month older than Mason.

I'd offer him a full guarantee in year two and he'd have to think about it right?