Backup PG targets

After watching Frank Mason play in the SL games it is apparent that there is no way he is ready to lead the second unit. I know we can play Temple and Bogi as a backup PG in a pinch but would prefer a typical PG that can excel with a pick-and-roll game with our young bigs. Looking through the list of free agents the PG market looks bare-- any thoughts on who could fit that role as Fox's backup? I'd like to find a traditional backup PG like 76ers have with TJ McConnell.

-Shabazz Napier
-Marcus Paige
-Shane Larkin
-Tim Frazier
-Bryn Forbes
-Malcolm Delaney
-Isaiah Taylor
-Yogi Ferrell
-Shelvin Mack
-Tyler Ulis

Summer League PGs doing well:
-Chris Chiozza (leading SL in assists)
-Pierriá Henry
-Matt Farrell

Trade options?
-Wade Baldwin IV

Uhg. Maybe we ought to just stick it out with Mason...

Last edited:
I really wanted Baldwin at #13 (where we took Papa). I was shocked when Memphis gave up on him so early. I'm happy to see he's playing very well thus far in Summer League. I would love to have him on this team. Fox & Baldwin would be one of the better PG defensive tandems in the league given a couple of years.

Not saying he will become Mitchell, but Baldwin & Mitchell have pretty similar profiles and college stats (both entered the draft after their sophomore years):

1531159782290.png

1531159799848.png

I still like Mason as the official backup. If Fox gets hurt it’s obviously an issue but with Bogdan and Temple likely sharing some additional point duties and the roster being overload right now..it doesn’t make sense.

Mason was good in the role last season in actual NBA games. He’s been weak in summer league but I’m not ready to demote him to Mateens chair just yet

-Shabazz Napier
-Marcus Paige
-Shane Larkin
-Tim Frazier
-Bryn Forbes
-Malcolm Delaney
-Isaiah Taylor
-Yogi Ferrell
-Shelvin Mack
-Tyler Ulis

Summer League PGs doing well:
-Chris Chiozza (leading SL in assists)
-Pierriá Henry
-Matt Farrell

Trade options?
-Derrick White <--- Not attainable
-Wade Baldwin IV
-Daniel Hamilton <-- Not a PG

Uhg. Maybe we ought to just stick it out with Mason...Dear god no:(

Not saying he will become Mitchell, but Baldwin & Mitchell have pretty similar profiles and college stats (both entered the draft after their sophomore years):

View attachment 8104

View attachment 8105
I don't see Portland letting Baldwin go after his SL performance. They let go Shabazz, but added Seth Curry. I don't think Curry is a PG. Baldwin is also more of a combo-guard. So we'd actually have to give up something of value for Baldwin. Not sure future 2nds would do it.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I don't know if they see it, but the way for this to work is to make sure Bogdan is tied in with that bench unit and is allowed to run the offense when Fox is out. Stagger the lineups so he can be your pseudo backup PG. Then sign someone like Daxter Miles because he's big enough to guard multiple positions and can run the offense a little.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Should be noted that Boston doesn't have too much cap space to work with. Now obviously, they're probably willing to match a reasonable offer but if we offer Smart something in the 8 figure range, I could see Ainge balking, what with Kyrie eventually going to need to be re-signed to a max contract and Brown and Rozier still providing guard depth.

3/36 or 4/48 could get the job done but is it too much for a (admittedly fantastic defender) guard who has a questionable jumpshot at best?
In my opinion, it isn't.

Last edited:
Bogi off the bench running the second unit. Temple and Shump flanking him to help handle the ball and defend.
Buddy needs to start and just keep shooting.

I don't know how credible that guy is but look at the gifs in that tweet.

Boston fans do not want to let him go.
With Hayward coming back and all the other wings they have and Rozier exploding onto the scene they might think he's not worth it if it costs to much. They are not going to sacrifice minutes of Tatum/Brown and Hayward is healthy is to good to sit as well. Marcus Morris is a cheap option only making like 5 million this year.