Backup PG targets

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Even in today’s game he missed some clear reads. Certainly did better but.......
Totally agree. My impression of him hasn't changed. He is too much like Garcia. I have come to the conclusion that Frank Mason III is a player who will break your heart if you put too much faith in him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I want someone like Daxter Miles or Marcus Foster who both seem to have much better court vision than Mason does. I don't know what role Mason is suited for, but I don't think he's the kind of point guard we're going to need to back up Fox.

I want someone like Daxter Miles or Marcus Foster who both seem to have much better court vision than Mason does. I don't know what role Mason is suited for, but I don't think he's the kind of point guard we're going to need to back up Fox.
Oh, I like this idea of giving these kids a chance! I don't remember too much of them, I guess it'll be my assignment in the next SL game...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh, I like this idea of giving these kids a chance! I don't remember too much of them, I guess it'll be my assignment in the next SL game...
Unfortunately Daxter Miles was only with the summer league team for the California Classic. Not sure why. Marcus Foster, however, is worth looking at.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
T.J. McConnel
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/03/05/tj-mcconnell-76ers-arizona-steve-nash-brett-brown-joel-embiid
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...-big-fan-sixers-pure-point-guard-tj-mcconnell

He may be valuable to the Sixers, but if they make a big deal for a big name they may not be able to pay him. I'd sure like a WCS for McConnel trade, but I'm open to getting him by other means.

By the way, the Sixers were very smart to send him to train with Nash. Just as yours truly has said the Kings should do with Fox. Great minds.:)
Get on it, Kings!

T.J. McConnel
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/03/05/tj-mcconnell-76ers-arizona-steve-nash-brett-brown-joel-embiid
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...-big-fan-sixers-pure-point-guard-tj-mcconnell

He may be valuable to the Sixers, but if they make a big deal for a big name they may not be able to pay him. I'd sure like a WCS for McConnel trade, but I'm open to getting him by other means.

By the way, the Sixers were very smart to send him to train with Nash. Just as yours truly has said the Kings should do with Fox. Great minds.:)
Get on it, Kings!
You're trading a starting C for a backup PG. No thanks.

Shabazz Napier and Shelvin Mack best fits the bill as youngish, cheaper, and reliable back up point guards.

They will probably be more open to taking smaller deals as the pre-season approaches.

The Kings need to get a good, reliable back up point guard this off season.

David 'Dubi' Pick @IAmDPick
Source: Mike James, Euroleague's most coveted scoring machine and back-to-back champion in Greece, has signed a $5.9, 2+1 offer-sheet with Olimpia Milano through 2021

Boooo
Why were you guys so infatuated with him? He was a 27yearold PG who got cut by the worst team in the NBA. He put up poor shooting splits.

This is where the line gets drawn between the NBA and Euroleague. James was a dominant Euroleague player(in his short stint), but he struggled in the NBA.

He's not a starting center in this league. Only for the Kings in a rebuild is he a nominal starting center.
I've been far from a big Willie fan, but he's been seriously underrated and even hated by fans (not saying you). I go on the STR article and it's nothing but WCS hate. I don't get it.

Willie is definitely a starting C. Right now, he would immediately start with the Lakers, Clippers, Suns, Spurs, Hawks, Celtics, and Cavs. Last season he averaged 28mins: 12.8pts 7rebs 0.9blks 1.1stls 2.4asts on 50/0/61.9

I've been far from a big Willie fan, but he's been seriously underrated and even hated by fans (not saying you). I go on the STR article and it's nothing but WCS hate. I don't get it.

Willie is definitely a starting C. Right now, he would immediately start with the Lakers, Clippers, Suns, Spurs, Hawks, Celtics, and Cavs. Last season he averaged 28mins: 12.8pts 7rebs 0.9blks 1.1stls 2.4asts on 50/0/61.9
Spurs-Nope, Pau and LMA
Suns-Nope, Ayton and whoever they small-ball PF between Ariza/Jackson
Hawks-Nope, I'm taking Dedmon's rim protection, rebounding and efficiency near the rim.
Celtics-Nope, Tatum/Horford

Clippers-Really close with Gortat/Harrell there. Depending on your starting 5, I could believe WCS starting here.
Lakers-Yes, over Javale
Cavs-Yes, over TT/Nance, good fit with Love

Probably a few other teams he'd start on, but he's a low-tier starter at C. Not a bad player by any means, but he's a bit stuck in no man's land right now where he's better than most bench players and worse than most starters. Which to me, makes it scary going into his contract year on how to properly value him.

Why were you guys so infatuated with him? He was a 27yearold PG who got cut by the worst team in the NBA. He put up poor shooting splits.

This is where the line gets drawn between the NBA and Euroleague. James was a dominant Euroleague player(in his short stint), but he struggled in the NBA.
He can ball.
Imho a huge uograde to mason.
I dont see what age has to do with a nom-core player. If he was 37 ok, but 27?

Spurs-Nope, Pau and LMA
Suns-Nope, Ayton and whoever they small-ball PF between Ariza/Jackson
Hawks-Nope, I'm taking Dedmon's rim protection, rebounding and efficiency near the rim.
Celtics-Nope, Tatum/Horford

Clippers-Really close with Gortat/Harrell there. Depending on your starting 5, I could believe WCS starting here.
Lakers-Yes, over Javale
Cavs-Yes, over TT/Nance, good fit with Love

Probably a few other teams he'd start on, but he's a low-tier starter at C. Not a bad player by any means, but he's a bit stuck in no man's land right now where he's better than most bench players and worse than most starters. Which to me, makes it scary going into his contract year on how to properly value him.
Agree with everything except he would not start over TT, Thompson's rebouding\toughness and energy are on a different level to WCS he brings it every time he plays.

Would love to go snag Monte Morris now. Been impressed with his development (have a couple Nuggets beat writer friends who have been raving about him). Looks like he's taken another leap based off his play in SL and a lot more comfortable at running PG than Mason.

17-6-5 on 56% TS. 20% USG and 10% TOV rate is excellent from his G league numbers last year.

Would love to go snag Monte Morris now. Been impressed with his development (have a couple Nuggets beat writer friends who have been raving about him). Looks like he's taken another leap based off his play in SL and a lot more comfortable at running PG than Mason.

17-6-5 on 56% TS. 20% USG and 10% TOV rate is excellent from his G league numbers last year.
He has an uncanny ability to not turn the ball over. I'd absolutely take a flyer on him.

He has an uncanny ability to not turn the ball over. I'd absolutely take a flyer on him.
good athlete, good length, plays under control, has a good understanding of his role on the floor and looks to find his shooters. Really liked how he was able to get in the paint and was looking to kick out. Pretty much the anti-thesis of Mason.

This might be a FVV 2.0 type situation where he can turn into a quality PG if someone gives him a shot. Needs to add a couple % points on his 3 ball, but everything points to this guy being on that upward trajectory we always want to see.

Have you seen Frank Mason play?

Last edited:

Monte Morris(51st pick in 2016) is way better than Frank Mason(34th pick in 2016) and i'm still mystified about why NBA teams thought otherwise.

I thought Morris was better than the younger Jawun Evans (39th pick) too.

Monte Morris(51st pick in 2016) is way better than Frank Mason(34th pick in 2016) and i'm still mystified about why NBA teams thought otherwise.

I thought Morris was better than the younger Jawun Evans (39th pick) too.
I liked his college tape. I'd be fine with bringing him in to compete with Mason. He's only played 25 NBA minutes though so I'm not convinced he's anything at this point.

Why not Dennis Schroder as the backup? 15.5mil per year for the next 3 seasons could end up a major bargain and with Fox on the rookie deal those 3 szn's it all lines up perfectly, isn't over allocating $$$ to PG spot.. He could win the 6th man of the year ez and they could get him a ton of minutes for sure.

He is absolutely one of the quickest in the league, paired with Fox there'd be no let up.