Are you experienced???

Experience is a HUGE X-factor in the playoffs that people tend to overlook. Here are the Western Conference playoff teams and their total playoff experience, as well as the most experienced player on each team:

1) Phoenix- 176 playoff games (Steve Nash- 51)
2) San Antonio- 489 playoff games (Robert Horry- 175)
3) Seattle- 97 playoff games (Antonio Daniels- 48)
4) Dallas- 256 playoff games (Michael Finley- 43)
5) Sacramento- 351 playoff games (Greg Ostertag- 87)
6) Houston- 383 playoff games (Dikembe Mutumbo- 79)
7) Denver- 352 playoff games (Byron Russell- 102)
8) Memphis- 97 playoff games (Bonzi Wells- 28)

As you can see, Seattle and Memphis are exactly as inexperienced as each other, which is a major reason why I think they'll both be gone after Round 1. A big surprise is how experienced Denver actually is, although a lot of their experience is vested in veterans that are either on the IL or don't see much playing time, but that can still be just as valuable to have the advice in the locker room of someone who's been there.

Discuss....

(If I have enough time, I'll do the same thing for the East...if anyone cares...I may not waste my time)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
A slight tweak on that -- and you are right, it is a HUGE factor -- but the other thing is experience playing TOGETHER. Having playoff experience is a good trait in aplayer, but when a group of guys have played together and gone to the playoffs together before, that's better yet. One of the best arguments for San Antonio this year is the simple fact they've been there, done that before, and have faced the pressure together as a unit. Ditto Detroit in the East.

I went ahead and redid this with only the Starting 5 taken into account. As Bricklayer said, it's apparent that San Antonio has had their main core together for a long time, and they all have playoff experience TOGETHER. Believe it or not, the Kings have the second-most experienced starting 5 in the West:

PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE IN STARTING 5

1. Phoenix- 82 playoff games (Nash- 51)
2. San Antonio- 247 playoff games (Duncan- 82)
3. Seattle- 40 playoff games (Allen- 26)
4. Dallas- 88 playoff games (Finley- 43)
5. Sacramento- 140 playoff games (Stojakovic- 52)
6. Houston- 90 playoff games (Wesley- 48)
7. Denver- 127 playoff games (Martin- 51)
8. Memphis- 49 playoff games (Williams- 22)

Bricklayer

No real surprise there -- before we broke up the old team we and San Antonio were clearly the reigning expereinced royalty in the West. It was, in fact, the factor that I was hoping might let us make one last run. Peja and Mike are the only ones really left (amongst the starters) with those deep runs under their belt, but i think everyboyd but Cat has at least been to the postseason once or twice.

On a side note....how in the world does Horry always seem to luck out and land on all those championship teams (Rockets, Lakers, now the Spurs) ?!? I mean, he's not that great of a player but he always seems to be on the right team at the right time. I'm sure everyone remember's the Three heard round the world from the semi-finals a few years ago. That was a perfect representation of his whole career. He just happened to be at the top of the arc when the ball was swatted back. Although, it took some skill to make that shot, he was extremely lucky to be standing there at that exact moment.

^yup I was just about to say that so Cat has about 4-5 games of PO experience I forgot if they were swept by the Lakers or if they won 1 game

As for Denver...I thought Kenyon came off the bench..?? either way with that squad...Marcus Camby has been far with the NYK the Finals and George Karl their coach as plenty of PO experience thats something else that needs to be factored in...

How many PO games has Nate McMillian or Mike D'Antoni coached? Sure they have assistants I'm sure have been to the post season more than they have but its not the same...all the other coaches I believe have had ample enough of experience

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I think they (the Rockets) only won one game, but I watched most of that series and there were a couple close losses. One by only a point and one in OT. The Rockets definately gave them a run for their money. It was mostly the Steve Francis show though. (Anyone surprised? Didn't think so.)

iheartBrad said:
George Karl their coach as plenty of PO experience thats something else that needs to be factored in...

How many PO games has Nate McMillian or Mike D'Antoni coached? Sure they have assistants I'm sure have been to the post season more than they have but its not the same...all the other coaches I believe have had ample enough of experience
I couldn't find any stats as far as how many PO games the coaches have coached, but I searched for it...if anyone wants to add that...

Avery Johnson doesn't even have a whole regular season as a coach. Of course, he's got Del Harris next to him, with plenty of PO experience.

Bricklayer

Avery's also still got the NBA's All-Time winningest coach on the other end of the phone, was a veteran of numerous playoff wars as a player etc. Still would not bet on him winning the playoff coaching war in a head to head match with Pop, but he's got about as big of a head start as any rookie coach could have.

F

Fillmoe

BibbyForPrez said:
On a side note....how in the world does Horry always seem to luck out and land on all those championship teams (Rockets, Lakers, now the Spurs) ?!? I mean, he's not that great of a player but he always seems to be on the right team at the right time. I'm sure everyone remember's the Three heard round the world from the semi-finals a few years ago. That was a perfect representation of his whole career. He just happened to be at the top of the arc when the ball was swatted back. Although, it took some skill to make that shot, he was extremely lucky to be standing there at that exact moment.
word

Experience on the Bench

So, it's logical to say that the difference between the:

GRAND TOTAL - STARTERS ONLY = EXPERIENCE ON THE BENCH

1) Phx = 94
2) San Anton = 242
3) Seattle = 57
4) Dallas = 168
5) Sac-Town = 211
6) Houston = 293
7) Denver = 225
8) Memphis = 48

How many of those games are in the #6-7-8 players ???

The experience shouldn't be factored in if it's not utilized.

Nice, Al!

It's tough to call a 6-8 rotation for every team, though...I'd say just leave it at that...even if the playoff veterans don't see any/much PT, their advice and motivation is still helpful for the younger guys who've never been there.

wow we are really breaking it down in this thread--getting down the nitty gritty...I really can't see any other teams fans go to these lengths to factor in the overall experience :)