Anyone else not convinced yet ?

Im just wondering is anyone else like me think that this team has to beat a contender in order to really become a good team this season, so far we only beat the Suns , im not buying us being a contender until we beat T'Wolves, Spurs, or the Sonics. Your opinions ?

Andriod_KiNg said:
Im just wondering is anyone else like me think that this team has to beat a contender in order to really become a good team this season, so far we only beat the Suns , im not buying us being a contender until we beat T'Wolves, Spurs, or the Sonics. Your opinions ?
i agree. only.. none of those teams have proven that they can completely sweep us in the playoffs. we're one of the only teams who have beat the suns, thus proving we CAN beat good teams. only time will tell, play & learn.

They don't have to sweep us to beat us in the playoffs. The Kings would no doubt win 1 or 2 games against each of the contenders, but that's not enough.

sloter said:
They don't have to sweep us to beat us in the playoffs. The Kings would no doubt win 1 or 2 games against each of the contenders, but that's not enough.
umm, that was what i meant by not being able to sweep us. - we still got game.

like i said; time, playing, learning & growing are key. we cant rightfully judge yet.

we are months away from PO's.

Andriod_KiNg said:
I agree with your statement if I take it literally -- of course the Kings have to beat a contender to be a good team this season.

I don't agree with the implication that the Kings cannot be considered a good team until they beat a(nother) contender. The Kings are 1-4 against the Sonics, Suns, Timberwolves, and Spurs. Hmmm, that reminds me of the start of the season, but yet they've gone 15-3 since then.

It is too early to read anything into their record against top teams.

piksi

Hall of Famer
We are 8-7 against the west and 8-0 agains the east. That makes us fairly mediocre. If we do not improve in all segments it will end bad.
We only had one good win so far (Phoenix). Schedule will become tough very quickly and we will know more very soon

Regular season means something, but certainly not everything. Remember Dallas beating us 3-1 in the regular season, then the Kings totally dismantling them in the play offs? What I hope to see is improvement over the course of the season and a team that is healthy and hopefully peaking heading into the play offs.

piksi said:
We are 8-7 against the west and 8-0 agains the east. That makes us fairly mediocre. If we do not improve in all segments it will end bad.
We only had one good win so far (Phoenix). Schedule will become tough very quickly and we will know more very soon
yea that was the stat that got me thinking , but i guess when the time comes Kings will show up.

we have only beat a couple of good teams all year...from the top of my head and thats the suns and lakers...and lakers are upper-middle class only in the nba..there not an upper class team yet

i'd like to see the kings win a game against either the spurs or woofs. we've been close twice against the woofs, which is encouraging in once sense, but discouraging in another sense since they've been so close and let both games get away.

but kingsgurl is right, the regular season has nothing to do with the playoffs.

i am proud of the fact that one of the NBA best 22-3 suns, that one of their losses came at the hands of the kings in their crib :D

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Since as best I can tell we haven't actually played a contender sicne ouor ugly start except for Minnesota, I find this thread curiously timed.

The start of the season we were awful -- didn't matter who we were playing, we were totally out of synch. The schedule was the most brutal in the league, but if we'd had a soft start we might very well have dropped some of them. Bottomline, those games don't mean a whole hell of a lot on the whole power scale, and certainly won't mean anything at all by the time the season is over.

Now Minnesota IS a concern. Because they've done it to us on a number of ocassions now. But what thye've done is outperform us down the stretch, nto horribly outclass us start to finish. They are a real concern, but they took 7 games to nip us in the playoffs last year, and there is no huge difference between the teams.

Contenders

It's December..
I find it kinda funny in past years we would lose to the Clippers or the Warriors and people would freak out and say, "Championship teams don't lose to bad teams like that!" Now it's just the opposite. But we have a lot of games left against the Spurs,Suns, Sonics, Mavs, etc. We even have two left against the T-wolves and what if we win both of those? How we play against these teams will show us if we are a contender, but even 2 games against any of them is not enough to tell how good we are yet. If the Kings are anything like the past few years(and so far they seem to be) they will get their share of quality wins. The Heat are a good test for us coming up, I even think washington tonight is at least a decent team for us to play. I'm not convinced but I'm not worried yet either, it's just too early...

I would say its important merely from a mental standpoint. So far the Kings have only won one big game. Look at how they kinda went into a slide after the second Twolves loss this season.

SacTownKid said:
Look at how they kinda went into a slide after the second Twolves loss this season.
They went 3-1. Maybe you are referring to their level of play, which wasn't that great? But then again, their level of play all year since the 1-4 start hasn't been great, just good enough to get wins over opponents they should beat.

I don't think the Kings will have any problems with a lack of confidence. The question is whether they can maintain intensity in tough games in the regular season and throughout tough series in the playoffs.

uolj said:
They went 3-1. Maybe you are referring to their level of play, which wasn't that great? But then again, their level of play all year since the 1-4 start hasn't been great, just good enough to get wins over opponents they should beat.

I don't think the Kings will have any problems with a lack of confidence. The question is whether they can maintain intensity in tough games in the regular season and throughout tough series in the playoffs.
I did mean their level of play.

Kingsgurl said:
Regular season means something, but certainly not everything. Remember Dallas beating us 3-1 in the regular season, then the Kings totally dismantling them in the play offs? What I hope to see is improvement over the course of the season and a team that is healthy and hopefully peaking heading into the play offs.
THANK YOU!! Finally someone who is not all negative and already talking about Kings exiting in the first round of playoffs!

VF21 said:
I find it immensely satisfying just to be a Kings fan...
]

me too!! And, as a die hard Kings fan, I have to say I think most of us have VERY high expectations! I would love to win a championship, I am dying to win a championship, and the defeat of some of those game 7 losses still hurts. BUT, we are fortunate to have a team that consistently plays wells, and makes & advances in the playoffs. That's not "low expectations" in my books. Of course, everything is relative. I'm also a 49ers fan -- talk about low expectations!!:eek: