Andrei Kirilenko

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Kirilenko also has another option that people are not taking into account and that is to remain in Europe. There would be team (including his current team CSKA) lining up to sign up the best player in Europe this last season.

In Europe contracts are calculated differently and there are other perks that come with it. All contracts in Europe are after tax which means if Kirilenko sign on for 3.5million euros per season that is equivalent of a $9million per season contract in USA. Not to mention on top of that, a player of Kirilenko's ilk would get a company funded car and a luxury apartment to live plus all the other perks that he would get from sponsors.

He is a lot more unique position than many other players. He has been in the NBA, proven himself here, was an all-star and outside of winning a ring, there is not a hell of a lot more left for him in the NBA. In Europe he can earn just as much money, be a perennial contender in Euroleague and literally live like a King.
Euro to dollar exchange rate is only 1.25 to 1. California's effective tax rate for people earning $1mil+ is 45% (before a tax attorney comes along and explains how to cut it to 25% ;) ):

hence 3.5mil eruro contract = $4.375mil dollars after tax $9mil x.55 = $4.9mil after tax. Break even point there is somewhere around $8+mil a year in NBA money, + the added protections, insurance, and retirement you get out of that. In particular given Euro teams tendency to just drop guys like hot potatoes and cancel their deals when they get hurt or have an off season, a 4 year guaranteed money deal would have to have attractions to a 32yr old wiht an injury history, but yeah, anything under about $9 to $10 would be unrealistic

Last edited:
this is obviously true. The danger of course is that the Maloofs truly are too broke to be NBA owners and just in complete denial, and see JT and Anderson as an either or contract, and no possibility of another major contract below that at all. That of course would not only cost us AK this year, it would mean we'd be virtually certain to lose either Reke or IT or both next year when they had to be paid. Cousins a year later when he got tired of it.

Any rational even remotely solvent organization can make the AK offer independent of Jason and come in right aroudn the salary cap. Does that describe us however? We talk around this endlessly, but its impossible to know how true it is or not.
I am going to go with the Maloofs are already too broke and are in denial.

Boozer and Robinson are exactly the same size in their bare feet. I can't speak for the thickness of the shoes they each wear, but I would assume that their height is very similiar in shoes. Both have excellent standing reach, with Robinson having an advantage in max reach with his vertical max at 35" as opposed to Boozers 28".
Yep, I know. I was referring to how Brick referred to him as our "somewhat undersized" strong college rebounder and implied that was a disadvantage. I wasn't making a comparison to Boozer in that part of my post.

At the risk of repeating myself, the only way we can get Kirilenko is if we say good bye to JT in which case we need some sort of replacement.

Again, I bring up Epke Udoh. He is a work in progress but brings some of what we need in that back up big men. This of course frees up the cash to go after Kirilenko.

I bring this up again because I just read in one of the Serbian papers that Nenad Krstic who has a contract with CSKA (same team as Kirilenko) but has an opt out for NBA, has offers on the table from Celtics, Nets and Bucks and he needs to decide by July 15 if he will take one of them or remain with CSKA.

I raise this because, it has to mean that one of the Bucks' bigs is available. They just traded for Dalembert, drafted Henson, want to re-sign Ilyasova and have Gooden and Sanders under contract. That is 5 big men and make that 6 if Krstic decides to join them. That is not taking into account that they also have other options that they play at PF.

Surely one of these guys is available and Udoh is a cheap option with upside. He average 5ppg, 4rpg, 1.7bpg in 21mpg last season. A lot of course will depend on how Smart sees Epke as he coached him for a season. Surely he was part of the contingent that decided to draft him in the first place.

With Robinson on board and addition of AK47 and Udoh, we should be able to cover PF and C minutes. We know that Cousins and Robinson will get a lot of minutes, fouls permitting of course.

Last edited:
So looks like Kirilenko has that same July 15th deadline to decide if he's coming back to the NBA or not

From Hoopshype:
Ettore Messina: "There are four players in (CSKA's) roster who have until July 15th to decide if they go to the NBA: Shved, Vorontsevich, Kirilenko and Krstic"
At least we'll know by the end of next week if this is a possibility or not

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
At the risk of repeating myself, the only way we can get Kirilenko is if we say good bye to JT in which case we need some sort of replacement.

Again, I bring up Epke Udoh. He is a work in progress but brings some of what we need in that back up big men. This of course frees up the cash to go after Kirilenko.

I bring this up again because I just read in one of the Serbian papers that Nenad Krstic who has a contract with CSKA (same team as Kirilenko) but has an opt out for NBA, has offers on the table from Celtics, Nets and Bucks and he needs to decide by July 15 if he will take one of them or remain with CSKA.

I raise this because, it has to mean that one of the Bucks' bigs is available. They just traded for Dalembert, drafted Henson, want to re-sign Ilyasova and have Gooden and Sanders under contract. That is 5 big men and make that 6 if Krstic decides to join them. That is not taking into account that they also have other options that they play at PF.

Surely one of these guys is available and Udoh is a cheap option with upside. He average 5ppg, 4rpg, 1.7bpg in 21mpg last season. A lot of course will depend on how Smart sees Epke as he coached him for a season. Surely he was part of the contingent that decided to draft him in the first place.

With Robinson on board and addition of AK47 and Udoh, we should be able to cover PF and C minutes. We know that Cousins and Robinson will get a lot of minutes, fouls permitting of course.
Pretty sure we drafted it already.

Entity

Hall of Famer
And there you have it. If we not contacted that pretty much means we aren't going to. Nothing more to see here close thread.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Anyone see what AK did to Cisco today? Absolutely dominated him in every category as Russia beat the DR. And guess which one we're paying 6.4M next year and which one we have yet to contact?

AK had 16/13/7
Cisco had 2/1/2 on 0-8 FG's.

and to think AK would probably cost only 2M more than we're paying Cisco next year.

Very good thought about Udoh. Never liked how he was handled when he was with the Warriors (they've been as inept as the Kings have been the past few years), and he could potentially combine with AK to bring that shotblocking dimension that our team desperately needs to complement the Cousins/T-Rob frontline.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Anyone see what AK did to Cisco today? Absolutely dominated him in every category as Russia beat the DR. And guess which one we're paying 6.4M next year and which one we have yet to contact?

AK had 16/13/7
Cisco had 2/1/2 on 0-8 FG's.

and to think AK would probably cost only 2M more than we're paying Cisco next year.
Quit rubbing it in. :)

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Quit rubbing it in. :)
Just don't know why we haven't reportedly even placed a call to this guy, especially after documented interest in Dec. Will admit it's still early though and there's a chance AK's agent doesn't want to deal with free agency until this tournament is over.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Just don't know why we haven't reportedly even placed a call to this guy, especially after documented interest in Dec. Will admit it's still early though and there's a chance AK's agent doesn't want to deal with free agency until this tournament is over.
I'd be surprised if Petrie hasn't been keeping track of AK and AK's desires. (Man, that sounded odd!) "Wishes?"

I don't think it's too early for a move like this.

judging from the CSKA highlights of last year and some of these FIBA highlights, AK has been looking really spry

Granted, he's not old at 31, but he's been playing professionally for quite a while.

Still would love to have him on our team.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'd be surprised if Petrie hasn't been keeping track of AK and AK's desires. (Man, that sounded odd!) "Wishes?"

I don't think it's too early for a move like this.
Guess the hope is AK and his agent are putting free agency on hold until after Olympic qualifying. At least that's my hope.

Bricklayer

Guess the hope is AK and his agent are putting free agency on hold until after Olympic qualifying. At least that's my hope.
Yeah, but even if his reps were doing that, Jones' tweet says we hadn't even contacted them to find that out.

Of course what Jones does or does not know is always an open question. Still though. Our front office is a zany and completely illogical place where the most obvious moves are ignored, and the most idiotic routinely pursued. Oh, to have enough $$ to buy an NBA franchise. I wouldn't even just fire people. I'd build a dungeon under the arena and drag them down there to torture for all the damage they had done to my investment. Once I had a full confession and abject apology I'd mercifully allow them to return to work as peanut vendors.

Last edited:
Interesting news. Cisco is our new GM :)

http://news.sport-express.ru/2012-07-05/520512/ (in Russian)

Short translation: Cisco asked Kirilenko to join our team. Andrei's answer was "let's wait for July 11"
That might be the biggest contribution Cisco has ever made to the team! :p Also why he's recognised as one of our only vets and leaders - had the foresight and intelligence to talk to AK about us.

Here's a google translate of the article:

Forward Andrei Kirilenko, a Russian national team after the victory over the Dominican Republic (84:69) in qualifying for the Olympic tournament in Venezuela, said the team play in the protection, reports correspondent "SE" Alex Bezyazichny.
- I believe that we have neutralized the strengths of the opponent - said Kirilenko. - In the Dominican Republic is a very powerful front line: Horford, Martinez big guys, but our team did not let them turn on full power. Especially note the action against Victor Khryapa Horforda. However, our tactics is that we do not hold their counterparts on their own. Defended as a team.
- What were talking before the game with Frank Garcia?
- He told me that I kind of like to go to the "Sacramento." To which I replied: "Let's wait for the 11th (July 11, Kirilenko will consider proposals NBA clubs. - Note." SE ") - and then talk."

Bricklayer

You know the great thing about Cisco? He took Omri Casspi under his arm. Omri Casspi was there to take his job, and he did it anyway. Here he's out recruiting Andrei Kirilenko. AK47 will bury him on the bench forever, but he is doing it anyway. Its one of the reasons I don't like to see Cisco's name blithely tossed around in trade proposals with our other bad contracts. I continue to think that he has real value as chemstiry, glue, the truest current King etc.

You know the great thing about Cisco? He took Omri Casspi under his arm. Omri Casspi was there to take his job, and he did it anyway. Here he's out recruiting Andrei Kirilenko. AK47 will bury him on the bench forever, but he is doing it anyway. Its one of the reasons I don't like to see Cisco's name blithely tossed around in trade proposals with our other bad contracts. I continue to think that he has real value as chemstiry, glue, the truest current King etc.
Agree with you here. Sure, his contract is terrible, but there's no doubting he is an important part of the team. He is by no means a guy who is just sitting collecting paychecks and doing nothing.

Had a chance to meet Cisco and the team a couple years ago because he has family down here in Atlanta. He told his family members to invite friends and that he would cover the tickets. After the game he would have taken us back to meet the team. Unfortunately I had to go in to work and couldn't go, but it seems Cisco is great a person.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Interesting news. Cisco is our new GM :)

http://news.sport-express.ru/2012-07-05/520512/ (in Russian)

Short translation: Cisco asked Kirilenko to join our team. Andrei's answer was "let's wait for July 11"
He didn't say "no." That's interesting as I think it means whatever was offered last year is still on the table and he knows it or there has been contact with his agent that our beat reporter doesn't know about.

Agree 100%.

He didn't say "no." That's interesting as I think it means whatever was offered last year is still on the table and he knows it or there has been contact with his agent that our beat reporter doesn't know about.
Yes and it is a good sign. Don't forget, Russian people are very straightforward (usually to a fault) and he could have said something negative and he did not. We are in the mix.

Bricklayer

July 11th is an interesting date to choose. Sure sure, tournament over and everything. But it also seems very much NOT to AK's advantage...and possibly to ours. By July 11th many of the teams wiht cap room will already have commited most of it other players, then all of a sudden in the late market AK appears. But how many $$ are going to be leftover for him?