Andrei Kirilenko

i know there is a sf free agent thread, but i saw that gerald wallace had his own thread and theres the hibbert/batum thread so i figured another sf on top of most kings fans list is AK47. maybe this thread would help to gather info specifically for him or just for us to throw out possible ideas on how to get him without digging through the other sf threads. i saw this on StR and it had some good info about AK47s situation. this specific part stood out.

"The Utah Jazz still maintain the Bird Right’s to Kirilenko meaning they can sign him for whatever they wish regardless of their positioning in the salary cap. I was under the impression from people that the Jazz could sign and trade Kirilenko but according to Cap Expert and CBA expert Larry Coon the new CBA says you can’t sign and trade a player who wasn’t on your roster last season. Still some confusion on the rules of the new CBA.

If the Jazz are unable to sign and trade Kirienko then he can only get more than the MLE (Mid Level Exception) from teams with cap room (read: Sacramento and New Jersey). However, with the signing of Wallace Kirilenko may be a duplicate player."

link

mods: if you feel this thread is not needed since there are multiple sf threads out which can discuss kirilenko, feel free to delete or merge with the free agent sf thread

After Batum, Kirilenko is probably the guy I would want the most. He's not prime Kirilenko anymore, but I think he can still be a very good piece for at least 3 more seasons. He should come maybe $4-5 mil cheaper than Batum as well. It's nice to see a non-Kings article point out the Kings as a possible place for Kirilenko to go.

AK47 would be perfect what our team needs. An athletic veteran SF who can play defense, knock down the open shot. Hope Petrie is calling him again. (and Maloofs is allowing him to offer contract)

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
He's the clear target for me. We've got about 15M in cap space. If we could somehow get JT back for 5-6M, we could possibly throw a 4 yr, 8-9M per contract at AK, or about 4/34. Maybe even frontload it a bit. In that scenario obviously TWill isn't coming back.

Using the amnesty on Salmons would make it even easier and I don't know why the Maloofs won't consider it. Maybe they will. But I'd think some team would bid 2-3M for him, in which case the Maloofs would save money. Getting another team to pay part of his salary I would think might be attractive. Of course there's a chance he doesn't get claimed, but that's why I'd amnesty Salmons over Cisco, as I do think a contender would like Salmons at a discounted price. Dal comes to mind. So does LA. But we'll see.

Going by some tweets form Jones today the Kings thought AK was interested last year. New coach, another top pick, Cuz is a stud, maybe we still have a chance. One can hope.

He's the clear target for me. We've got about 15M in cap space. If we could somehow get JT back for 5-6M, we could possibly throw a 4 yr, 8-9M per contract at AK, or about 4/34. Maybe even frontload it a bit. In that scenario obviously TWill isn't coming back.

Using the amnesty on Salmons would make it even easier and I don't know why the Maloofs won't consider it. Maybe they will. But I'd think some team would bid 2-3M for him, in which case the Maloofs would save money. Getting another team to pay part of his salary I would think might be attractive. Of course there's a chance he doesn't get claimed, but that's why I'd amnesty Salmons over Cisco, as I do think a contender would like Salmons at a discounted price. Dal comes to mind. So does LA. But we'll see.

Going by some tweets form Jones today the Kings thought AK was interested last year. New coach, another top pick, Cuz is a stud, maybe we still have a chance. One can hope.
Maloofs using the amnesty clause is a pipe dream. They just won't do it. There were not interested in doing it back in the day when Kenny Thomas used to be on the roster year after year after year. I am pretty sure NBA brought in the once off amnesty rule aka Michael Finlay provision for a team to use it on a bad contract Maloofs resisted the temptation for years

They are broke, they don't have the ability to throw away some $20 million. Back in the day when they were billionaires, maybe they do it but certainly not now when they are penny pinching at every opportunity they get.

Using amnesty clause on Salmons makes sense on so many levels BUT they you realise that the owners are broke, and put it away into the "Wishful Thinking Bin"!

AK is a giant pipe dream as is pretty much any free agent that commands a healthy salary, we will be at or near the salary floor for years to come. the maloofs have no money.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
AK is a giant pipe dream as is pretty much any free agent that commands a healthy salary, we will be at or near the salary floor for years to come. the maloofs have no money.
Sure, but a) they did not have money in December and yet we still made an offer to AK at that time; and b) we're well under the floor, so they are going to have to spend that money on SOMEBODY or just give it to the NBA anyway if they fall short.

Sure, but a) they did not have money in December and yet we still made an offer to AK at that time; and b) we're well under the floor, so they are going to have to spend that money on SOMEBODY or just give it to the NBA anyway if they fall short.
Since last december we have added an extra $3 million per year for the foreseeable future (still on the books for next 3 years). In the mean time, all salaries, except for Salmons' have gone up and there is JT to re-sign which is what we have repeatedly said is the #1 priority.

We have to spend some $8-9million to get to the minimum for next season (set at 85% next season and 90% the season after) and re-signing JT and maybe Williams gets you to that limit anyway. Anything over that is a pipedream!

If the cap stays at $58 million, then we need to spend at least $49.3 million next season and we not far off that as it is.

Last edited:
Provided that Kirilenko is open to coming to Sacramento, and that is a big IF at this stage IMHO.

But lets assume that he is willing to come to Sacramento on a 3 year deal @ $9 million per season. The only way we sign him up is if we don't re-sign JT. If JT gets a big offer from another team that we are not willing to match, how realistic would this be for us?!

Sign AK47 to a 3 years $27 million deal

Travis Outlaw to Bucks
Ekpe Udoh to Kings

Reason for Bucks: With Dalembert, Gooden, Henson, Sanders et al, there is more bigs than minutes available in Milwaukee.
Reason for Kings: We need another big to replace JT and with AK47 in town, Outlaw becomes surplus to requirements. Udoh can give us solid minutes and provide us with some solid D and shot blocking. He can also play both C and PF.

Re-sign T-Will

PG: Thomas / Jimmer
SG: Evans / Thornton / Salmons
SF: Kirilenko / Williams / Garcia / Honeycutt
PF: Robinson / Hayes
C: Cousins / Udoh / Whiteside

We still have a bit of a mess at SF and at guard spots but Garcia is expiring so that clears up some logjam and capspace after next season. There is also hope that Salmons might re-discover some form (as he started doing from the bench before injury) so we can trade him at the deadline for an expiring contract or a young kid.

With Udoh we get a young shot blocker who is a work in progress but has shown some signs. AK47 can also play a bit of PF when the match up opportunity might arise. We have multiple options to guard those quick 4s that used to give up trouble.

With these moves we still remain around the minimum salary cap but we are least have a lot more balanced team both defensively and offensively.

The way I see it, Hayes and Salmons are not moveable pieces at this stage. We can just hope that they can re-discover their form next season so that we can make a move to create more financial flexibility going forward.

Thoughts?

Well they made him an offer last year and unless that was a complete lie, clearly they were going stump up the cash to do so.

Here's some info on AK from the "Jazz insider"

Former Utah Jazz player Andrei Kirilenko will return to the NBA according to his coach at CSKA Moscow. Kirilenko had a fabulous year in the Euroleague.

Kirlenko was the Euroleague MVP, the defensive player of the year and of course 1st team all league. He lead the Euroleague with 24 pts, 7.2 rebounds and 2 blocks and 2 steals a games. He was the league only player to rank in the top 10 in all of those categories.

Euroleague keeps track of fouls drawn and he ranked 4th in that category.

The Utah Jazz still maintain the Bird Right’s to Kirilenko meaning they can sign him for whatever they wish regardless of their positioning in the salary cap. I was under the impression from people that the Jazz could sign and trade Kirilenko but according to Cap Expert and CBA expert Larry Coon the new CBA says you can’t sign and trade a player who wasn’t on your roster last season. Still some confusion on the rules of the new CBA.

If the Jazz are unable to sign and trade Kirienko then he can only get more than the MLE (Mid Level Exception) from teams with cap room (read: Sacramento and New Jersey). However, with the signing of Wallace Kirilenko may be a duplicate player.

The inability to sign and trade actually may increase the chances the Jazz sign Kirilenko because of other teams limited ability to give Kirilenko big money.

There have been numerous false alarms that he has a deal done with the Nets.

Kirilenko is now 31 years old having played professional and often year round for since he was 16. In his final three years of the NBA he played just 67, 58 and 64 games.

A year away may have given Kirilenko’s body a break, however at 31 his health is major concern.

The Jazz interest in Kirilenko will likely be determined by how many years other teams are willing to offer the oft injured forward.
Article: http://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjazz/2012/07/01/insider-andrei-kirilenko-returning-to-the-nba/

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
It doesn't matter. He would play for a contender for 5 mil less than what we offer. Trust me it's a waste of time. If it makes you guys feel to think about what ifs then by all means keep going. Just throwing some reality to the mix. Just hope Terrance Williams signs with us.

Entity

Hall of Famer
He is younger than pierce. Allen Garnett Kobe ginobli Duncan dirk Nash Kidd These are just off the top of my head that are still top players in the nba

It doesn't matter. He would play for a contender for 5 mil less than what we offer. Trust me it's a waste of time. If it makes you guys feel to think about what ifs then by all means keep going. Just throwing some reality to the mix. Just hope Terrance Williams signs with us.

I don't know about this. How many options does he REALLY have? How many contenders have the cap room to sign him AND a starting SF spot... or a starting anything spot. He wants to start, right?

In the east, Chicago, Miami, Indiana, Boston, New York, and Philly all have SF locked up. That leaves .. Orlando, Milwaukee, Atlanta, and a bunch of other garbage teams as options for him. Orlando MIGHT have some cap room if they deal Dwight Howard, but then they would have less talent then we do. Atlanta doesn't have any cap room. I suppose the Bucks could be a threat. I'll just keep going .. Toronto won't have any room if they sign Nash. The Pistons have no room and they have Prince. The Nets have room, but they are up to other stuff. Cleveland could be an option. Washington just traded for a similar player in Ariza.

East options: Bucks, Orlando (if they deal Howard), Atlanta (if they deal Johnson), Nets (if they don't do anything they are reportedly trying to do), and Cleveland.

In the West, Spurs will have no room once they sign Duncan, and they have Leonard. OKC is a no. Lakers have no cap room. Memphis has Gay and no room. Clippers just traded for Odom and have Butler. Denver has Chander and Gallo. Utah has Hayward and not enough cap room, but I'll give them a maybe. I'll give Houston a maybe, but they have Parsons. Phoenix is possible, but they have Dudley on a good contract. Portland is possible if they lose Batum AND don't get Hibbert. Minni just traded for Budinger, and have offered Batum a big deal. Golden State is a no, and New Orleans is possible.

West Options: Utah (maybe), Houston (maybe), Phoenix, Portland (maybe), and New Orleans.

I think we have a good chance IF we put the money up AND we go after him early. A lot of these 'maybe' teams have a lot of other stuff going on that are making cap holds, where if we went after AK before the dust settles we may have an advantage.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
While you certainly aren't alone in this feeling, why not just let people have their fun? I know there are lots of fans who don't think we'll do anything in free agency, but there's no need to make that your response to the free agency wish/discuss threads. Having been guilty of doing the same thing myself, I know it's tempting ... but people want something to talk about that at least seems to be a little hopeful.

:)

Entity

Hall of Famer
Just don't want their hopes get crushed. After all the best free agent signing in the sacramento era was sharief abdur rahim

Entity

Hall of Famer
Vlade was at best average when we got him. What 10-11pts 7-8 reb? He was paired with best possible pairing he could be with in webber. He was still 4th or 5th option. Sharief was a better player. Not a better fit but still better fa signing

Vlade was at best average when we got him. What 10-11pts 7-8 reb? He was paired with best possible pairing he could be with in webber. He was still 4th or 5th option. Sharief was a better player. Not a better fit but still better fa signing
Put down the pipe. Divac was better. I think you would have to put BJax close to the top of the list well before SAR.

Google is your friend for stats. Check it for details if you want.

I want more average players with 9 rebounds, 3 assists, efficient 13 pts, over a steal and couple of blocks like Divac.
His strength was somewhat more of intangibles like leadership and glue guy... but that is not easily quantifiable.

SAR was a great player, but Kings got him with one leg gone... really not even close.
Check the contract numbers.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Are you serious?? Look at all three players stats before we got them and come back with that. The argument is best free agent signing when we got divac and Jackson they had never been close to a star shared was

Entity

Hall of Famer
Ok so your argument saying we can get top notch free agents is vlade divac? Ok I will let that simmer in itself for a bit. Either way ak not coming. If so I will GLADLY eat crow RAW.

um...what?

If you're simply trying to provide a statistical argument in terms of what SAR produced before he arrived in Sac, then yes, sure.
But, since we're already using hindsight, how do you even compare the two? Not only were Divac's stats better in Sac, but he was arguably the best teammate in Kings history. Yes, his team was also better, but he was an overall better player than SAR, not to forget the multitudes of intangibles he provided.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh good grief. Do not even go there. Seriously.