Andrea Bargnani not the next King (merged)

The name Bargs reminds me of barfs. I'm not familiar with his game but it's disappointing reading these posts. We've endured plenty of lazy, sub-NBA defense in Sacramento over the last decade. Where it looks like opposing players casually stroll to the hoop and lay it in. I hope we don't sign the guy.

It seems that some here do not want Bargs. I say why not? It makes us a more versatile team and we don't have another big man that can score.His defense isn't great but that's not why we're trying to bring him here. Our 2nd unit would be pretty good at scoring! Collison, Bargs, WCS, Butler, Belinelli.

I'm not a fan of Bargs, but as long as its for just a year, and the league minimum, I could care less. He can rot at the end of the bench if he can't contribute.
My thoughts too. Little concerned they are signing him to a bigger deal (3m plus) but if not, at least it's a different skill set

Bargnani's benefit is that he can put points on the score board. Do you remember how bad the Kings bench has been? Teams would go on runs when the starters were on the bench. Even with all his flaws Bargnani can score. We are talking about a 14 point a game scorer signing for the Vet minimum. My one concern is all the injuries Bargnani has had. At this point the Kings need a strategy where the bench can just play even while the starters rest.

Do you agree the Kings will be better defensively? They have added Koufas, WCS, Rondo, Belenelli, Butler and Moreland should be healthy. So far they gave up JT, Landry and Stauskas. That exchange of talent should bring improvement IMO.

To say nothing of the improvement in Coaching. Yes Coaching. All we need is for Vlade to bring peace between Karl and DeMarcus.

All that said I like Josh Smith too and I would love to have a wing defender who could slow down Lebron or Curry. Those guys are hard to get with Vet minimum deals. Probably we will see the best wing defender from Summer League get the Training Camp invite.
Our interior defense will be better. Our pick&roll defense will be better, when WCS can contribute right away. Our perimeter defense will be the same or very marginal improved.
I dont think, that our bench needs another scorer.
I agree that wing defender are difficult to find. Maybe we are able to find the next Justin Holiday....

My question is, is it worth getting him for spacing purposes when he is absolutely horrible/does not try on defense? His +/- numbers are absolutely terrible. Would he really be helping the team, 15 minutes or not ?
I'm sorry but I can't answer your question. However I do have a great deal of confidence in our management making that decision.

13-14 403 out of 437

I am not saying its the last word on stats, sometimes young players improve. But Bargs is never going to get better than he is now. We should be stealing Quincy Miller from the Pistons instead Bargs.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The name Bargs reminds me of barfs. I'm not familiar with his game but it's disappointing reading these posts. We've endured plenty of lazy, sub-NBA defense in Sacramento over the last decade. Where it looks like opposing players casually stroll to the hoop and lay it in. I hope we don't sign the guy.
Give him a chance. I don't think he'll be anywhere near as bad as some are fearing.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Give him a chance. I don't think he'll be anywhere near as bad as some are fearing.
Bargnani is what he is. He won't rebound, he won't play defense and he won't be a highly passionate player. But he's a 7 footer who is a very solid shooter, has a nice first step for a big man and is good in transition. He was a guy that I had listed as a possible stretch 4 or stretch 5. In fact after he and Teletovic (who I really wanted but the Suns nabbed) the cupboard was pretty bare for that type of player.

I'm not really bothered by the signing in a vacuum. It fills a niche the Kings should fill.

My concern is that either Rudy Gay or Koufos will be the starting bigs next to Cousins and after that the team is leaning on a rookie WCS and a very untested Moreland as well as Bargnani.

Now if Bargs is being viewed as a stretch 5/emergency C and is signing for the minimum then Josh Smith could still be attainable as a backup PF. That would actually make a lot of sense to me.

I dunno we would get a stretch 4 that everyone says we need, we already have Big Cuz for offense and defense, we upgraded Defense with WCS and Koufos and Moreland, we can use Gay for offense at the 4 how much more balance can you get at the two Big positions?

Perspective... in the new NBA, Al-Farouq Aminu is making $8M a year and will be a high usage player. His PER was 9 last year. he averaged 5 points and 4 rebounds on bad shooting percentages. Bargnani will be our 10th or 11th guy, he averaged 15 pts and 4 rebounds and a PER over 16, and we'll be getting him for very cheap. He may not be perfect, but we're talking about a deep bench guy who has shown at a minimum he can score 15+ in the league on decent percentages, and we're getting him for a decent price in a market where the contracts have been incredibly inflated. Whether or not you like Bargnani as a player, getting a guy who is a proven scorer in the league to play deep on your bench for cheap is a win.

All the negative press on this guy is coming from a team that drafted him number 1 overall and a team that traded a first round pick and payed him nearly 12 million a season on a abysmal team. It would be like if we traded for Gay and he performed like a guy being paid 1/4 of what he is being paid. We are the guys that will pay him for his proper salary and proper spot in the rotation, at least on paper.

Trust Vlade.

Here is a Mark Stein's take:

Knicks fans are about to freak out at this statement, but it’s true: Andrea Bargnani played okay for them down the stretch last season. By the time he returned to the court from injury last February, the Knicks were out of out of the playoff picture, but he put up 14.8 points per game and shot 36.6 percent from three. He had a PER of 16.6, above the league average. He’s never going to live up to the hype of being drafted No. 1, and he’s not going to help a team out defensively, but if his role is limited and off the bench he could help a team.

The Sacramento Kings need more shooting, and they are about to land him.

From Marc Stein of ESPN. Link---> http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....ento-kings-near-deal-to-sign-andrea-bargnani/

Trust Vlade.

Here is a Mark Stein's take:

Knicks fans are about to freak out at this statement, but it’s true: Andrea Bargnani played okay for them down the stretch last season. By the time he returned to the court from injury last February, the Knicks were out of out of the playoff picture, but he put up 14.8 points per game and shot 36.6 percent from three. He had a PER of 16.6, above the league average. He’s never going to live up to the hype of being drafted No. 1, and he’s not going to help a team out defensively, but if his role is limited and off the bench he could help a team.

The Sacramento Kings need more shooting, and they are about to land him.

From Marc Stein of ESPN. Link---> http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....ento-kings-near-deal-to-sign-andrea-bargnani/
Surprised it isn't getting crap on to be honest.

To be fair, just about anyone outside of Melo is going to look terrible coming out of New York. If he plays 10-12 min a game, I'm good. He won't need to play more than that unless there's an injury. Seems to play with a very low IQ but again is he any worse than what we've had at PF the last decade? Mikki, Quincy, even JT? All of those guys had low IQs as well and they all had starting stints.

So he's a good 4th big and maybe top 5 4th bigs in the league, tbh. Last positive is that he can and will stretch the floor for Cuz.

The gifs of his Shaqtin a Fool moments get funnier as they repeat over and over. I wasn't a fan when I heard the news but as I've read more about him I think he'll perform well for us. I think he'll be happy to slide right into the role player position, it sounds like it'll suit his personality/motivation level as well.

I like this signing. I presume that vlade tried for josh smith and he opted for either more money or a shot with a contender.

That being said, I think this is a solid signing. We are bring him in to be a 3rd or fourth big at a reasonable salary.

I think he would be a good bench addition, we need someone to space the floor, especially in obvious we have to score moments at the end of tight games.