American Idol 2010 - Season Nine

It all begins on Tuesday night!!! Are we in or are we out? Many changes on the horizon. None more than the absence of Ms. Paula Abdul and the addition of Ellen DeGeneres. I do not know how that is going to play out.

I know many of us including myself was very disappointed on how last season turned out. And it seems like the talent slightly diminishes very season. But I don't know about anybody else, I look forward to Tuesdays and Wednesday nights being entertained. I hope this season does not disappoint.

Let the auditions begin:)

I have been hearing rumors that Simon Cowell will be leaving at this season. If so, I will not be watching idol anymore. It just isn't the same without him.

Yeah, I wont be watching American Idol after this season since Simons going to leave. This is the beginning of the end for that show. Simon did say he is going to bring the X-Factor to America, a show which he owns and judges... I bet that becomes the new "American Idol".

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If the show actually wants to be a serious singing competition losing Paula this year and Simon next is great news. Of course I read in the paper that they want Idol to be "edgier" and to recapture the teen audience. Which means it is going to be crappier than ever.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I watched last night but not the first night. My wife said the first night had an ambiguously gay mormon cancer survivor. If he could somehow capture the gay, mormon and "courage in the face of adversity" voting blocks that would be certain victory, though I'm not sure all those blocks can play nice together.

I was happy that the bridge jumping girl from TN could actually sing, I don't think she's particulary great or even really pleasant sounding but I was a bit worried they were just setting her up for a huge meltdown and tear fest. I do fear that will be her arc in Hollywood though.

The meltdown at the end with the security guys 86'ing the guy was awesomely amusing but I'm afraid it had to be staged, there have been far more threatening people given more leeway in the past.

I didn't hear a lot of great singers yet.

Weird. I had could tell the young man was likely Morman. His mention of being on a mission and being from Utah would tend to lead to that assumption (which could still be a wrong assumption). I saw nothing that would affirmatively indicate he was gay.

By the stereotype of "gay," I would have thought Kris, who won last year, might have been gay. He had a wife, so most people would assume not. Heterosexual marriage has little to do with whether someone is or isn't gay, lesbian or bisexual, though.

BTW, one of the best friends of my life was gay and I knew quite a few of his friends. He died at 36 of AIDS. He was one of the most generous people I've known and a rock solid friend. I still miss him. :(

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
My wife loves gay men and she felt quite certain the force was strong with this one. I didn't see it, but I trust her because she was facebooking all our gay friends telling them to watch out for him.

That is very sad about your friend :(

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think at this point it would be appropriate to get back to the topic at hand and avoid the obvious pitfalls of discussing someone's sexual orientation, much like we avoid religion and politics...

I've seen several people that I think have potential to go pretty far in the competition but I've seen too many that bring the same thing to to the table. I'm hoping for a bit more diversity...

And the bridge-jumping girl irritates the crap out of me for some reason. ;)

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Sorry, I was just trying to say it would be very interesting to see 3 historically large but somewhat unique voting blocks merged together, nothing beyond that. I know my taste in talent may be different but I do think I have a pretty good gauge of who they can get to vote. I pegged Kris early on last year even though I was still pulling for Adam and Allison.

The bridge jumping girl is definitely irritating but for some reason I didn't want to see them do a hatchet job on her. Maybe she was just too easy a target that it wouldn't seem fair to have big hollywood come smash such an easy target? Then again, I had no problem with them doing the hatchet job on her male counterpart that followed shortly after.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think she has a good voice for an extremely narrow niche of country music that won't sell any records. If she actually made it to the big show, which she won't, she would be unbearable by the second song.

I think AI has finally jumped the shark for me :(

I cannot stand Kara, she ruins the show. No real undeniable talent thus far in the auditions rounds, for the first time in 9 seasons, I'm bored.

Wow, I am surprised no one has mentioned Idol in over a month. I even forget we had a thread for this season. Has anyone been watching? I have and some of the people let go should have been in the top 24.

Angela Martin should have been in the top 24, however, she didn't make it. Its her 3rd and last time to try out for Idol. She sure has gone thru some difficulties. However, I saw her on Ellen last week and Ellen told her that Kara is going to write her a song. I thought that was cool.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't get too interested until the top 24, but I do have a couple of favorites. I like Katie and I really like Andrew Garcia. There are a couple of others I think are top 10 worthy but I didn't see anyone who stood out as a singular talent for me the way Adam Lambert did last season, but maybe that's a good thing.

There seems to be a pretty diverse group in the top 24. I like Kara a lot better as a judge this year than I did last time around.

Andrew Garcia (I think that's his name) is my horse in thise Race. The guy has a distinct style in what he wears, how he sounds, and I always respect a song writer over just the voice that will have songs written for it.

That's my perspective from being a song writer, and having played in bands for quite a while.

But I think he is overall the most talented guy in the competition. If I got the name wrong he wears glasses, and he re-arranged "Straight up now tell me" By Paula Abdul. The guy's voice is smooth, and I love the style in his voice.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The girl with the dreads, labrette piercing and yellow teeth sounded phenomenal from what I heard. It sounded like someone was playing a CD. But she's pretty gross so unless they decide to give her a full makeover she probably won't crack the top 12.

Well, just got done watching American Idol and man, most of the girls were terrible. The only one that stood out was Michelle, Lilly and Crystal. And I felt the best performance of the night was Crystal.

I'll start tuning in now that those phony tryouts are over. Can't stand Ellen, so may have to hit the mute button a few hundred times over the course of the season. Gotta admit, I thought about never watching again when that no-talent wimp won last year. How's that for honesty?

they keep saying the girls are really strong this year but I haven't really heard/seen it. I so far I like Lilly and Michelle. dvr is a wonderful thing, i can skip to the singing and ignore everything else.

I thought the men weren't that much better. No one really stood out. Although Casey James and Andrew Garcia did a good job, it just wasn't that great. I still think they will move on to next week.

The girls were really really bad. I could sing better! :D The first hour and half were painful and the last 30 min were only slightly better. The boys were better, but that's not really saying much. I just can't believe some 8-9 odd season later how contestants continue to pick suck horrible songs--artist restrictions and all included.

Each year is more and more underwhelming. :( I don't think its going to survive next year without Simon.

Last edited:
I just watched the girls last night. Crystal was good. However, I really like Siobhan. To me she just has a pleasing voice, but that's a personal taste.
I did like Benami, too.

This is the worst American Idol ever.
I felt like I was watching a grade school talent show.
Not one original person out there. They're all copy cat hacks.