American Idol 2009! Rank your favorites!

Honestly, I wasn't blown away by any of the performances this week. Adam came the closest, tho. I thought Lil was gone and was suprised it was Matt. I do not think Matt was good enought to save, though. Simon pretty clearly didn't think so either, but was clearly out-voted by the other judges.

I really did not like Danny's or Lil's performances this week. I thought it was Danny's worst by far. My goodness, he looked and sounded bad. On the other hand, I think Anoop is doing better. He seems to finally have some confidence in himself and a little more on-stage presence to go with his very good voice. Lil just seemed to sink a few weeks ago and has not risen to the challenge. She's no better than ordinary every week now. She seems beaten down.

1. Adam
2. Allison
3. Kris
4. Anoop
5. Matt
6. Danny
7. Lil

1) Lambert --Consistently great and versatile
2) Iraheta--Great belter of higher notes, but low notes are not her thing, so she has to watch out in song styling. But no denying the talent
3) Gokey--Getting to be pretty mediocre. Good singer when he can express emotion, but his vocals are average and he oversings frequently
4) Allen--Pretty good vocals, but doesn't stand out. But consistent at the least. I think fans are too high on him
5) Giraud--I'm still high on him because of his vocals and great recording voice, but he has nerves/identity crisis
6) Desai--Great soft vocal, but Disco week=uptempo=sayonara
7) Rounds--Should really, really be the end. Screamish singer, talks back

Last edited:
I don't think they should have save Matt. They should have waited another week. His performance wasn't that good.

1. Adam
2. Allison
3. Kris
4. Danny
5. Anoop
6. Lil
7. Matt

KingsFans.com American Idol Power Ranking - Week #6
1. Adam Lambert - 42 (6 1st Place Votes - UNANIMOUS)

2. Allison Ireheta - 35
3. Danny Gokey - 25
4. Kris Allen - 22
5. Anoop Desai - 18
6. Matt Giraud - 17
7. Lil Rounds - 9

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1. Lil - I don't understand all the crowd love. She just isn't that good. It's time for her to go. 5

2. Kris - One of my favorite albums of recent years is Supernatural. Paula mentioned Carlos Santana and I have to agree. But I don't agree that Kris did a good enough job to keep him around. 6

3. Danny - Yes! That's the type of song he's been needing to put out there. Total departure from what he's been doing lately and it puts him way back up in my book. 9

4. Allison - The beginning of the song just didn't do anything for me. She can rock, but she's a one-trick pony and while I think she may be around a couple more weeks, she's gonna have to really step it up and show some pitch consistency. 6

5. Adam - I watch this show primarily to see what Adam Lambert will come up with. He doesn't disappoint and I find myself singing his songs for days afterwards. By taking a disco song and slowing it down, he showcased his vocal range and control. And he gave another unique performance that should keep him at the top of the chart. 10

6. Matt - How ironic that he picked Staying Alive after he was brought back from the dead last week. Just adequate, IMHO. Better than Kris and Lil but he's not gonna catch Adam or Danny. 7

7. Anoop - This just was one of those white bread, vanilla ice cream performances that wasn't bad enough to take him out or good enough to put him above Danny and Adam. 8

Adam is just Secretariat blowing the competition away, IMHO. He is the complete package period.

I actually really like Kris tonight. I'll think on it, but it was likely my second favorite.

Danny was way better than last week, but still well below Adam and Kris tonight for me. Allison has a fabulous voice and confidence in herself, but she pretty much sounds the same to me every week.

Anoop was was slightly better than Matt to me. Matt and Lil were just awful this week, as far as I'm concerned. I imagined Disco would be a bad fit for Matt and it was. Lil just seems all over the place. Poor thing has been drubbed so badly and she doesn't have the confidence to fight back. She just keeps trying to figure out what the judges want and that's a mistake. I kind of hope they put her out of her misery, because I can barely stand to watch her get blasted every week by the judges.

Anoop isn't going to win, by any stretch of the imagination, but I think Matt and Lil need to go home.

Last edited:
I actually thought Kris was best of the night, probably my least favorite Adam who was still second best. Allison third and starting to get boring for me, Danny solid in fourth. Anoop 5th, partially because I think Matt did not do anything to show that he merited a save tonight. Both were below mediocre. Lil has just never been good, I've said that all along and finally the last week or so the judges have stopped trying to carry her with positive remarks. She must go home along with Matt or Anoop.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've got no problem with Lil going home. I don't think Anoop was going to win so while I thought he might stick around a bit longer, I don't have a problem with him either...

VF21 power rankings for the TOP FIVE:

1. Adam

2. Danny
3. Kris
4. Matt
5. Allison

I've got no problem with Lil going home. I don't think Anoop was going to win so while I thought he might stick around a bit longer, I don't have a problem with him either...

VF21 power rankings for the TOP FIVE:

1. Adam

2. Danny
3. Kris
4. Matt
5. Allison
While I agree that Adam is head and shoulders above everyone else, his performances are kind of starting to all run together in my head, kind of like a bowl of vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup on top. You start off with two distinctly different things (soft and soothing Adam, ie "Tracks of My Tears", versus loud, flamboyant Adam performing "Born to be Wild" and "Satisfaction") that eventually wind up being one conglomerated item. It's starting to be the same old thing from him every week: either it's high-power, high-intensity, or it's soft and mellow with lots of falsetto.

Don't get me wrong, because even though he's not the type of singer that I tend to like, he's definitely the best singer of this group, and maybe ever on this show. And since it's a singing competition, he deserves to win.

But Danny continues to impress, even though he's pretty predictable. Kris Allen has to be the dark horse now that Anoop is gone, and he just gets better every week. His performance this week was not only his best of the competition, but the best of the night if you ask me. I don't think Allison is good enough, and Matt should be gone already.

I just think the gap is closing. Adam is strong every week, hasn't had a bad performance yet, and will probably wind up taking it. But his performances are becoming redundant, and he would be well served to shake it up a bit and do something we haven't seen yet.

1) Lambert--Elite
2) Gokey--He's not on the elite level some may have thought he was at the beginning, but has a huge fanbase and has never been below mediocre
3) Allen--His consistency is something to note, as well as his apparently huge fanbase
4) Iraheta--Varies from ordinary to successful and just lacks a fanbase
5) Giraud--Singing's equivalent of Gerald Green. Just has to capitalize on that potential

Glad Lil is gone, perhaps the most disappointing contestant ever on the show in terms of hype vs. results. I thought Anoop was weaker overall than Matt but Matt didn't prove he should have been saved so either could have gone in my book, as long as Matt is gone next week then its a wash. Hopefully Allison doesn't get the boot at his expense, though at this point I think she has not shot at winning and has shown the stage and vocal chops where she might actually benefit from an early boot a la Daughtry - what she really needs is some costuming advice (she seems to have actually gotten worse in this regard as the show goes on as she was very pin-up styled which was at least classy even though a bit mature early on and is now like Haley Williams meets Madonna in the 80s in a bad way) along with a good song writing team to crank out the teenage faux rock that she will be brilliant at. Sorry for the run on.

IF they must lip sync the group sings do it like this every week. Paula has finally proven to be useful for something.

That disco "medley" was terrible. Is Band of Gold even disco? The show loses credibility when it puts out guest singers that are worse than the worst contestants. You can't tell me Gloria Gaynor wasn't available. Wow, talk about bottom feeding. Did KC have a girdle on? Also, when you sing an entire song from beginning to end, cut the music and introduce the next act I'm pretty sure that it doesn't constitute a medley. Correct me if I'm wrong. I always thought a medley required clever transitions from song to song.

pdx Energy Standings (tm)
1. Adam - far and away
2. Kris - aside from Adam the most consistent vocal performer on the show, though the judges don't point it out. Very rarely do you get a bad note from the guy, though his arrangements can be questionable.
3. Allison - I think she could be the most successful commercially but she's getting stale on the show.
4. Danny - Poor technique and does not have perfect pitch contrary to Kara's claim.
5. Matt - Very soon will make Idol history by being the first contestant to be voted off 3 times.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That disco "medley" was terrible. Is Band of Gold even disco? The show loses credibility when it puts out guest singers that are worse than the worst contestants. You can't tell me Gloria Gaynor wasn't available. Wow, talk about bottom feeding. Did KC have a girdle on? Also, when you sing an entire song from beginning to end, cut the music and introduce the next act I'm pretty sure that it doesn't constitute a medley. Correct me if I'm wrong. I always thought a medley required clever transitions from song to song.
I totally agree. Luckily I had the show on DVR so I was able to wait until it was almost done and then start watching, fast-forwarding through the disco crap and still leaving enough time to cast multiple votes for Adam...

:)

I totally agree. Luckily I had the show on DVR so I was able to wait until it was almost done and then start watching, fast-forwarding through the disco crap and still leaving enough time to cast multiple votes for Adam...

Personally, I almost wish I could have fast-forwarded through the whole disco era as it was happening. :p (Except for other good stuff going on.)

1. Adam - No real competition. I think he's shown more versatility than anybody else, with the possible exception of Kris.
2. Kris - I like Kris's performance and think he's gotten better. It's odd though...he moves his mouth strangely and it always looks to me like he's straining for the next note. He's not and it comes out fine, but it's hard for me to watch him sing. Probably just me. BTW, he's good, but a lot of that fan base is preteens with a crush on a very cute guy. Playing that guitar and singing adequately would get him a big fan base. I knwo from personal experience. :p
3. Danny - He just edged out Allison here and I could almost tie them. I like different things about each of them. Danny sand quite well, I thought, although I think Simon is right that he looks a little physically clumsy in performance.
4. Allison - great voice, but talk about redundent. And I think when she's not singing, her youth and experience lead to not much of a stage presence being projected. I still admire her ability in one so young.
5. Matt - I actually think he has quite a bit of talent, but this isn't the kind of competition where he's going to shine. I don't think his voice/style translates as well across multiple genres.

If I had to choose now, I'd think Adam and Kris will be in the finals, but I wouldn't count Danny out. He's got a good voice and he's an appealing, likable guy, as in somone you think you could sit down and really talk with.

You cast votes on results night? :)

The only way to watch AI is on DVR, way too much filler especially on the results shows. I had to watch the disco train wreck, I just couldn't tear my eyes away. I did fast-forward Archuleta after about 20 seconds though. I never was a fan but I though he had better control of his voice than he exhibited Wednesday. Maybe he finally hit puberty.
Personally, I almost wish I could have fast-forwarded through the whole disco era as it was happening. (Except for other good stuff going on.)
I think that's what all that coke was for.

You cast votes on results night? :)

I did fast-forward Archuleta after about 20 seconds though. I never was a fan but I though he had better control of his voice than he exhibited Wednesday. Maybe he finally hit puberty.
:D I thought it was not so hot, too. Altho I liked Cook and didn't think he's performance was great either.

I think that's what all that coke was for.
Dang, and I thought it would be bad for me. ;)

1. Adam Lambert - 25 (5 first place vote)
2. Danny Gokey - 17

3. Kris Allen - 15
4. Allison Iraheta - 11

5. Matt Giraud - 7

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I just googled "American Idol themes" and found out tonight is "Rat Pack" songs. I'm predicting Adam will sing Sinatra's "My Way" although I'm pretty sure it won't matter what he actually sings as I'm totally convinced he'll do it very well.

Allison singing Dean Martin? Kris Allen belting out one of Sammy Davis Jr's hits? Oh, the humanity...

:p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1. Kris - The Way You Look Tonight - I know there are a lot of Kris fans out there, but I'm just not one of them. And he totally missed the last note. I can't help but wonder if Randy, Kara and Paula are trying to sell a bill of goods. I think Simon was right. 7

2. Allison - Someone to Watch Over Me - I remember listening to my mom play this song when I was little. Allison really dug deep and sold it, totally reminiscent of the torch singers from a long time ago. Once again, though, I agree with Simon. It was good but not winning good. 9

3. Matt - My Funny Valentine - Jamie Foxx gave him some fantastic advice, especially about holding onto notes. Unfortunately, I just don't think his voice is good enough to carry him through. 7

4. Danny - Come Rain or Come Shine - I've liked Danny from the beginning. He sold the song tonight and I think he's pretty much solidified his position in the top two. 10

5. Adam - Feeling Good - Adam Lambert. I have no questions. 10

The final three have to be Allison, Danny and Adam. At this point, it's shaping up to be an incredible finish. This could be the strongest group ever to come out of one season.

I can't comment on everything since I haven't seen all of Kris and Allison yet, I will say I actually liked Gokey until the end of his song when he started yelling tonight.

After viewing them all...

Adam - Best of the night by far. No need to elaborate.

Kris - Continues to be the best technical performer after Adam. Continually demonstrates an ability to go from low to high (without Adam's amazing range) and soft to loud seamlessly. Has his own style that he doesn't force on a song (with the Don Henley exception).

Allison - This performance was a step forward for her since she didn't go and rock out the song yet she did it with her style.

Danny - I really enjoyed 2/3rds of his vocal, then he lost it at the end. I don't think he brings anything new to a song and he doesn't have the technical ability of the 3 above, nor does he have any true stage presence. This may have been his best performance on the show but compared to the 3 above he is amateur.

Matt - Boring and uninspired. Make history and get voted off for the 3rd time.

Bottom 2 - Should be Danny and Matt with Matt going home. Will be Allison and Matt.

1. Danny -- Vocally, it was a 7.5, but the performance, the arrangement, and the showmanship was top notch. He's not the best singer in the performance, but I enjoyed his overall performance the most.

2. Adam -- He's the best of the bunch, and what he can do with his voice is simply amazing. And he proved to me this week that he does have another dimension to him that we hadn't seen before. He still did what he does, but he showed real midrange control that he hasn't even tried to show til last night. Still theatrical, but like Simon said, that's Adam. Just have to expect that now. Great performance.

3. Allison -- Awesome, awesome performance. She's not my favorite, and I wish the costume department would give her a hand, but vocally, it was dynamic. She stayed in control, got on top of her notes, and really belted out a soulful performance. But it's not good enough to win.

4. Kris -- He did a good job, but lost a couple of notes in there. It was pitchy at times, but I like what he does. Every performance is his own, and he doesn't try to be something he's not. But again, he's not good enough.

5. Matt -- Now this is a strange situation here, but perhaps it's a testament to the fact that this guy should have been gone a month ago. The advice that Jamie Foxx gave him was superb: bring the key down, sing it full-throated, and hold your notes. And he sounded much better, to me, than he has all season. But it was still not very good, not for this stage of the competition. He doesn't have as strong a voice as any of the remaining contestants, and he's not good enough at the Robin Thicke/Justin Timberlake to win.

It's likely to come down to Matt and either Kris or Allison this week, and if Matt doesn't go home, then I don't know what to say. He's clearly the weakest contestant left.

My regards to Anoop Dogg, because he would have done a superfantastic job last night, much better than Matt, and might have given Kris or Allison more reason to be concerned.

Before I get into my critique of last night's performances, I have to give it up to Jamie Foxx. Simon referenced this last night that it seems like his mentoring may have brought the best out of the contestants. Jamie in my opinion is "the" most talented entertainer in show business today. He is the quintesential "Quadruple Threat" (Actor both TV and Big Screen, Singer, Musician, Comedian).

Thi was my favorite show of the season. I thought all five singers were very good. But clearly Danny and Adam stood out.

Danny gave his best performance of the season
Allison was better than her normal self
Kris, who I am not a fan of was on point and very, very good
Matt was probably the weakest of the bunch, but his My Funny Valentine is better than what he normally does.
Adam was just Adam:D Brilliant as usual.

BOTTOM THREE - Allison, Kris, Matt
GOING HOME - Matt