2016- Geogious Pappagianis
2016- Malachi Richardson
2016- Skal Labisierre
2017- DeAaron Fox
2017- Justin Jackson
2017- Harry Giles
2018- Marvin Bagley
2019- no pick traded for salary dump

Ugh what an ugly decade, so glad this one is gone.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
2010- DeMarcus Cousins
2011- Bismarck Biyombo
2012- Thomas Robinson
2013- Ben McLemore
2014- Nik Stauskis
2015- Willie Cauley Stein
2016- Geogious Pappagianis
2016- Malachi Richardson
2016- Skal Labisierre
2017- DeAaron Fox
2017- Justin Jackson
2017- Harry Giles
2018- Marvin Bagley

Look at those picks and tell me with a straight face this franchise didn’t fail DeMarcus freakin’ Cousins.

And meanwhile 2011 Kawhi Leonard sitting there available for Kings to select instead of Fredette.
Does anyone remember the “college all star” game Jimmer organized in Utah?

I think it was after the draft and Jimmer was the captain of his team. The captain of the opposing team was none other than Kawhi.

Kawhi’s team won.

I have the same question for every one of these hypothetical “we should have drafted” situations. Do you think Kawhi develops in Sactown like he did with the Spurs? Pop, Timmy, the Admiral, etc.

I don’t think so. The player I wanted the year Tyreke was chosen was Rubio. There were a lot of PG’s chosen that year that would have been better in the long run. Including Patrick Beverly taken with pick 42. Of course Steph Curry was there as well.

why no furor about this draft?

Does anyone remember the “college all star” game Jimmer organized in Utah?

I think it was after the draft and Jimmer was the captain of his team. The captain of the opposing team was none other than Kawhi.

Kawhi’s team won.

I have the same question for every one of these hypothetical “we should have drafted” situations. Do you think Kawhi develops in Sactown like he did with the Spurs? Pop, Timmy, the Admiral, etc.

I don’t think so. The player I wanted the year Tyreke was chosen was Rubio. There were a lot of PG’s chosen that year that would have been better in the long run. Including Patrick Beverly taken with pick 42. Of course Steph Curry was there as well.

There was a big uproar about Jimmer.

Tyreke is a different case because he was dominant. You can't blame anyone for that pick because it looked to be the right pick at that spot. Hindsight is always 20/20 but at the time there weren't a ton of complaints because he looked like a jump shot away from being James Harden with defense.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
2010- DeMarcus Cousins
2011- Jimmer Fredette (edited)
2012- Thomas Robinson
2013- Ben McLemore
2014- Nik Stauskas
2015- Willie Cauley-Stein
2016- Georgios Papagiannis
2016- Malachi Richardson
2016- Skal Labisierre
2017- DeAaron Fox
2017- Justin Jackson
2017- Harry Giles
2018- Marvin Bagley

That list says it all right there. Screwing up the draft is not a luxury this franchise can afford. The only way this team ever gets good again is by drafting All-Stars. What makes this so much worse is that we passed on multiple MVPs.. not just All-Stars but legitimate league MVPs to put this stunning list of bottom-tier talent together. And that's after lottery luck conspired to drop us from 1st to 4th in the 2009 draft and we missed James Harden by 1 pick. Wow. Do you think a team with Harden (2009), Cousins (2010), Kawhi (2011), Lillard (2012) and Giannis (2013) on it would be any good? Is it any wonder so many fans are fed up with this team? The only silver lining of being terrible is the hope that you might draft a player who is so good they elevate the team so much that you forget about all the losing it took to get them. After more than 10 years of blowing it on draft picks we don't even have that level of hope anymore.

It won't be good riddance because people on this forum will never let anything die
I love how, somehow, fans who recognize what the franchise does and is doing are somehow at fault. So if we all bury our heads in the sand, then we can be happy? That's the definition of "ignorance is bliss". So I suppose you are right. If we just ignore everything, there won't be anything to complain about!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It's no secret why the Kings are where they are. Small franchises can't keep missing on draft picks year after year and expect to be any good. Since 2010, the Kings have had three different GM's making draft selections and they still have nothing to show for it. With that said, it's water under the bridge and I won't allow it to bring me down as a fan, I am numb to drafting busts time after time and this franchise is the new era of the Donald Sterling Clippers and quite frankly, I don't expect it to change much in the 2020's.

That list says it all right there. Screwing up the draft is not a luxury this franchise can afford. The only way this team ever gets good again is by drafting All-Stars. What makes this so much worse is that we passed on multiple MVPs.. not just All-Stars but legitimate league MVPs to put this stunning list of bottom-tier talent together. And that's after lottery luck conspired to drop us from 1st to 4th in the 2009 draft and we missed James Harden by 1 pick. Wow. Do you think a team with Harden (2009), Cousins (2010), Kawhi (2011), Lillard (2012) and Giannis (2013) on it would be any good? Is it any wonder so many fans are fed up with this team? The only silver lining of being terrible is the hope that you might draft a player who is so good they elevate the team so much that you forget about all the losing it took to get them. After more than 10 years of blowing it on draft picks we don't even have that level of hope anymore.
Its like money. If you have a relative that just can't manage money, how long do you keep providing them support and funds? At some point people will get frustrated, lose faith, and throw their hands up.

The player I wanted the year Tyreke was chosen was Rubio. There were a lot of PG’s chosen that year that would have been better in the long run. Including Patrick Beverly taken with pick 42. Of course Steph Curry was there as well.

Like you, I didn't like it the time (wanted an actual PG), nor do I like it in retrospect, but this thread's only about the last decade, so it's kind of outside of scope.

Regarding Kawhi Leonard if ever Kings drafted: I think first off he would have loved it and preferred even over San Antonio (or Indiana who actually drafted him, quickly trading). He always wanted to be in California more than anything, any one of the 4 NBA franchises would have worked just fine. "The Claw" surely would have developed nicely in Kings uni being budding superstar maybe nobody saw coming but NBA stardom seen soon enough. Pop said as much, Kawhi obvious future star first time at Spurs practice. But they carefully integrated him into Spurs well oiled machine before unleashing and the rest is history. I think Kings might have sped up his development but soft spoken dude such once in lifetime talent would not have been hindered in Sac but loved it and as fans we would have too. Sadly never got to see it - no not sadly - sickening!

Thinking about draft picks I wonder what kind of budget and support the kings dedicate to scouting. I would not be surprised if we are one of lowest in the league when it comes to budget for scouting.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I love how, somehow, fans who recognize what the franchise does and is doing are somehow at fault. So if we all bury our heads in the sand, then we can be happy? That's the definition of "ignorance is bliss". So I suppose you are right. If we just ignore everything, there won't be anything to complain about!
That's one way to look at it. Counterpoint: what does dwelling on it add to your experience as a fan? These are things that happened; they can't un-happen. Do you think that still being mad about them ten years from now is going to make rooting for the Kings any more fun for you?

I mean, talk about the excluded middle: it's kind of patronizing to act like the only two options are "stay mad," and "act like it didn't happen." Moving on is also a thing.

That's one way to look at it. Counterpoint: what does dwelling on it add to your experience as a fan? These are things that happened; they can't un-happen. Do you think that still being mad about them ten years from now is going to make rooting for the Kings any more fun for you?
So, the difficulty is that it isn't something that happened, has ended, and there's potential to move onward. It is something that has happened, and is ongoing. It is continuous. It is the disease of incompetence. So, we want to move on, but we recognize that in order to do so, it requires competence. How likely is it that this front office and the franchise does that without a leadership change? That's the question. So yes, there has been things in the past that have happened and that's water under the bridge. However, if there's still the same troll under the bridge, perhaps we need to deal with that before being able to move on.

In order to look forward to something (aka hope), there's the element of anticipating a change from the past and status quo. So when the past keeps repeating itself and nothing is changing, I don't think acknowledging it is somehow a viewpoint that is always in the rear view mirror. It is looking into the future and seeing no reason to expect a different future than the past, at least without significant changes. So I'd ultimately ask the Kings to give us a reason to hope, because this last decade has all but spent the reserves of many fans.

As for me, I don't expect a different future unless that change happens, and I believe that change must include getting competent leadership in the front office.

Last edited:
Its like money. If you have a relative that just can't manage money, how long do you keep providing them support and funds? At some point people will get frustrated, lose faith, and throw their hands up.
You mean moving on like you did? Which is to just quit being a fan of the team?

It's like you have a friend who complains about their spouse incessantly. The friend says nothing will ever change unless their spouse becomes a whole new person. At some point your advice will be to leave.

People can be fans however they choose, but shouldn't be surprised at pushback every now and then.

It's like you have a friend who complains about their spouse incessantly. The friend says nothing will ever change unless their spouse becomes a whole new person. At some point your advice will be to leave.

People can be fans however they choose, but shouldn't be surprised at pushback every now and then.
No, my point was about how another person behaves either irresponsibly or incomepently consistently over time. And over time of this repeated behavior, hope that person will change and become responsible and competent diminishes. The reason I used that example is that many in the fanbase are losing hope and faith in Vlade and this front office, because of consistent mismanagement and incompetence in their responsibility to improve the team. So, as fans of the team, we want the Kings to succeed, but no longer believe that can happen under this leadership team.

I mean, talk about the excluded middle: it's kind of patronizing to act like the only two options are "stay mad," and "act like it didn't happen." Moving on is also a thing.
okay well in my case it was more a case of it was an awful decade and we have nowhere to go but up. Let’s put it behind us a remain hopeful for the future.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
So, the difficulty is that it isn't something that happened, has ended, and there's potential to move onward. It is something that has happened, and is ongoing. It is continuous. It is the disease of incompetence. So, we want to move on, but we recognize that in order to do so, it requires competence. How likely is it that this front office and the franchise does that without a leadership change? That's the question. So yes, there has been things in the past that have happened and that's water under the bridge. However, if there's still the same troll under the bridge, perhaps we need to deal with that before being able to move on...

... As for me, I don't expect a different future unless that change happens, and I believe that change must include getting competent leadership in the front office.
This is fair. But I hope that you can understand that there are other options between that and "burying your head in the sand"? Rooting for the team in the present doesn't require a fan to continue to be mad about the past.

... In order to look forward to something (aka hope), there's the element of anticipating a change from the past and status quo. So when the past keeps repeating itself and nothing is changing, I don't think acknowledging it is somehow a viewpoint that is always in the rear view mirror. It is looking into the future and seeing no reason to expect a different future than the past, at least without significant changes. So I'd ultimately ask the Kings to give us a reason to hope, because this last decade has all but spent the reserves of many fans...
I don't agree with this. To borrow an expression, some people have the ability to find beauty in the little things. Without getting too off-topic, I can't imagine that my ancestors could have survived in America, if this were not possible... If anything, I find it incredulous how much crossover there is between people who advocate strongly for moving on from events that had (and continue to have) catastrophic real life effects on real people, and those who can't let go of anything when it comes to something as trivial as sports. Like, it's frightening how much of those two circles overlap on the Venn diagram.