I think we are the best NBA team at missing draft picks and college talent

1985 was a pretty strong draft class. I referenced it because it was the first Sacramento era draft, so just having a play with our draft futility, and yes several players should have been picked before Joe Kliene and several should have gone after Karl Malone.
As bajaden said, the Kings drafted for need. Otis Thorpe was selected 9th the year before by the KC Kings so perhaps the reasoning was we had our PF. Thorpe was a good pick in a famous draft as it turned out, but funny in 84 Utah got it right again with the 16th pick taking John Stockton.
I would have to dig thru the archives, but it looks like Utah has had some pretty good success with later picks.

Last edited:
Tyreke was a beast at pg, should of kept him there, manhandled the entire league. That was our fault.
Meh.. The ball didn't move with Evans at point. We were the worst assist teams in the NBA and I believe we were averaging close to a 1/1 a/to as a team which is horrible. It wasn't fun basketball to watch.

Cousins, I Thomas and D Fox are the only really good picks in the last 10 years. Bogie and Evans were good picks.
Since the Kings are a in a small market, I agree that they have trouble attracting free agents.
That means that draftng players is more important. They have been weak in the draft for at least a decade.
Their record is a direct reflection of their drafting ability or lack of it. The rosters have changed a lot, but the record is remarkably consistent.

Cousins, I Thomas and D Fox are the only really good picks in the last 10 years. Bogie and Evans were good picks.
Since the Kings are a in a small market, I agree that they have trouble attracting free agents.
That means that draftng players is more important. They have been weak in the draft for at least a decade.
Their record is a direct reflection of their drafting ability or lack of it. The rosters have changed a lot, but the record is remarkably consistent.
Bajaden had a great post in the prospects forum about the history of the Kings scouting department. It's a good read. There is a correlation between what he said in that post and the quality of our picks. Poor resources prior to Petrie, him building it into a powerhouse and the dismantling of that department. It looks like the Kings are finally allocating the resources again.

The results in that context are not surprising.

gunks

Hall of Famer
We drafted him. He belongs on the list, "no brainer" be damned.
Yeah.... I deleted that post. You're quick! ;)

I didn't feel like explaining that while I consider Cuz a great player, and therefore a great pick, I don't necessarily consider the picking of Cuz at 5 a genius move in and of itself.

But here I go, having to explain it anyways!

Here are the Kings first round selections from mock drafts on nbadraft.net for the last handful of years...

Fox
Poeltl (big improvement over Papa)
Korkmaz (equal to Malachi)
Zizic (too early to compare with Skal since both are still in the league and improving)
Hezonja (worse than WCS)
Vonleh (equal to Stauskas)
McCollum (massive improvement over McLemore)
Thomas Robinson
Tristan Thompson (big improvement over Fredette)
Cousins
Tyreke

With Shelvin Mack and James Ennis being the only notable 2nd round picks.

Do you guys think we would have made the playoffs with those picks? McCollum is a huge improvement over the other first rounders we selected but he is sort of Isaiah like with his play so I'm still not so sure that he would have worked out with the Kings roster. All the picks from the mock are either better or equal to what the Kings got except for the miss in taking Hezonja over WCS. Obviously their careers aren't over but that's the only one where I can be fairly safe in saying that the Kings picked better than what they had mocked up.

Basically they either did as expected or worse on nearly every pick with a huge miss in McCollum.

I left off Isaiah because I think he was a product of Brad Stevens.
Then that tells me you aren't very educated on the subject.

Isaiah was 20/6 with good shooting percentages his 3rd season in SAC. He was very good well before Brad Stevens got a hold of him.

Furthermore, it's disingenuous to leave off any of the good draft picks while listing all of the poor ones.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Two more days until we know if we are picking 1-3 or 7-10.
Think I'll chill until then.
Chill before, chill after. It will be what it will be.

I shake my head at all those folks running lottery simulations (not you, just in general since I'm already typing and it is somewhat related). Like it really makes a difference at all.... People getting hyped about getting the #1 pick on, essentially, a video game. Who cares???

Chill before, chill after. It will be what it will be.

I shake my head at all those folks running lottery simulations (not you, just in general since I'm already typing and it is somewhat related). Like it really makes a difference at all.... People getting hyped about getting the #1 pick on, essentially, a video game. Who cares???
Well.. if that's the case the whole personnel moves forum is pretty much a video game too.

I'd like to point out that the same GM that made that pick and also traded away two starters and a first round draft pick for Derrick (bad knee's) Smith is the same GM that traded away Oscar Robertson from the Royals. Mr. Joe Axelson.. That was then and this is now. Different time and many different GM's later. Petrie was a very good GM who made many good picks. Peja, Hedo, Kevin Martin, Brian Grant, Jason Williams, Gerald Wallace and Corliss Williamson. To imply that we've made more bad choices than good is an exaggeration. There's also Lawrence Funderburke and Ricky Berry, who unfortunately commited sucide.
I agree with everything you said, however when a franchise is perpetually bad (minus the Petrie years) spanning numerous owners/GMs/players over 33 or so years, I think it does speak to making more bad decisions than good.