A bunch of centers

We are loaded with centers like some other teams are loaded with wings.
With Holmes signed, Queta drafted, Thompson acquired, and contracts with Jones and Metu now either guaranteed or partially guaranteed, we've got six centers looking for playing time:
Holmes
Len
Thompson
Jones
Metu
Queta

I'm not counting Bagley since a) it's debateable whether he should be considered a center, and b) McNair is looking to trade him.

So what are we going to do with six centers? Maybe one will be packaged with Buddy when he gets traded. And maybe Queta will spend some time in Stockton. But still. Maybe this is McNair's thing, like Vlade who used to collect 2nd round picks.

We are loaded with centers like some other teams are loaded with wings.
With Holmes signed, Queta drafted, Thompson acquired, and contracts with Jones and Metu now either guaranteed or partially guaranteed, we've got six centers looking for playing time:
Holmes
Len
Thompson
Jones
Metu
Queta

I'm not counting Bagley since a) it's debateable whether he should be considered a center, and b) McNair is looking to trade him.

So what are we going to do with six centers? Maybe one will be packaged with Buddy when he gets traded. And maybe Queta will spend some time in Stockton. But still. Maybe this is McNair's thing, like Vlade who used to collect 2nd round picks.
Don't need to acquire 6'7 wings when your average height is 6'7!

It seems like a lot but it’s not as loaded as it seems.

as you mentioned Queta will be playing in Stockton.

Metu will likely play pf

Jones is just end of the bench insurance.

TT and Len are the only two guys that will see time behind Holmes and one injury changes things. Plus my guess is TT gets moved at the deadline if things are going well with Len and Queta

Queta will spend time in G-League, though I really hope he gets some PT w/the big boys.

Metu is very much showing "big wing" skills on both ends and if his summer growth proves durable he'll be playing alongside Holmes and Len, not subbing for them.

I see a team built to out-defend and out-work its opponents. Won't be bullied any more inside, which happened WAY too often last year. Depth will be a real strength and a requisite to their style of play - seeing a legit 9-or-10-player rotation for sure. Both Len and Thompson have histories of nagging injuries; Holmes was listed w/injuries at least 5 times last season. The number of centers hedges against that. And all of these guys have plus value for possible inclusion in trade.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
While b) is the most likely scenario, at least we can now assume the team has finally settled on one position to play him in. It's too late for this pick to look good but at least if gives him a chance if he starts the season with the team.

Queta will spend time in G-League, though I really hope he gets some PT w/the big boys.

Metu is very much showing "big wing" skills on both ends and if his summer growth proves durable he'll be playing alongside Holmes and Len, not subbing for them.

I see a team built to out-defend and out-work its opponents. Won't be bullied any more inside, which happened WAY too often last year. Depth will be a real strength and a requisite to their style of play - seeing a legit 9-or-10-player rotation for sure. Both Len and Thompson have histories of nagging injuries; Holmes was listed w/injuries at least 5 times last season. The number of centers hedges against that. And all of these guys have plus value four possible inclusion in trade.
Yeah Metu’s growth is the best part of this summer. If he continues to show he can put the ball on the floor and attack while also spacing the floor we can move him to the big wing category.

the growth of Metu and King are the most important aspect of this summer. We have to have more playable wings than Barnes.

Yeah the TT and Len move together don't make sense to me, but McNair has yet to really fire a long-term bullet outside of Holmes on the 4 year deal and the Fox max extension. TT is an expiring, Jones probably gets cut still, Queta will be in Stockton, Len is a cheap 2 year deal that might not be guaranteed next year. We'll see what happens when the contract gets announced.

I think McNair values the flexibility over all else right now to be ready to make the splash play when it's available. Draft well and trust your scouting to find diamond in the rough (Metu?King?Ramsey?), while improving your bench to help your top 6 that played really well together last year. I think he still needs to trade Buddy and/or Bagley though.

It does seem curious in an era where big men are less dominant. If the Kings continue to run and start playing defense like they mean it, having 3 centers makes some sense. Not all of them will be around by the start of fall camp. I am happy that Mr. Holmes will still be around. I woud like to see him shoot from 15 feet more. He is a great foul shooter.

It does seem curious in an era where big men are less dominant. If the Kings continue to run and start playing defense like they mean it, having 3 centers makes some sense. Not all of them will be around by the start of fall camp. I am happy that Mr. Holmes will still be around. I woud like to see him shoot from 15 feet more. He is a great foul shooter.
That big man on the Bucks sure looked dominant to me in the last game of the NBA Finals.

He is a point forward, running the floor and attacking the basket facing it. He does not play in the low block much at all and in fact is not a center.
He also is a human freak and plays like Superman.

6’11” 245lbs, protects the rim and dunks all the time. Oh, and he’s the biggest player in their closing line up. But whatevs.

Really. An outlier? All NBA studs are outliers. This talk about the center position and “big men” being less dominant is trash. It’s just people redefining what a “big man” is because they are more skilled than the old, back-to-the-basket days. The Raptors had a huge front line when they won it all. Same with the Lakers. Same with the Bucks. The only “outlier” is the Durant and Draymond front court.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Really. An outlier? All NBA studs are outliers. This talk about the center position and “big men” being less dominant is trash. It’s just people redefining what a “big man” is because they are more skilled than the old, back-to-the-basket days. The Raptors had a huge front line when they won it all. Same with the Lakers. Same with the Bucks. The only “outlier” is the Durant and Draymond front court.
Giannis isn’t a center though. Or a wing. He’s simply Giannis.

Teams can be contenders with or without dominant big men. They just need quality rotation bigs. Teams like Clippers, Nets, Blazers and Suns are built around 2 or more dominant guards/wings. Teams like Hawks and Mavs have one dominant guard/wing.

Teams that have dominant big men like 76ers, Lakers, Bucks, Nuggets and Jazz have unique systems that can't be copied by other teams.

In general, you don't need dominant big men to win. But I think you need at least 3 quality rotation big men to compete.

Holmes and Thompson can spell each other. Len comes in to disrupt the offense as a change of pace.
Not so sure the other guys are ready.

Holmes and Thompson can spell each other. Len comes in to disrupt the offense as a change of pace.
Not so sure the other guys are ready.
Queta doesn’t look ready. Might need a full year in the G-league.
At the four, unless Bags jumps levels this summer, I’d play Metu ahead of him.