3rd String Wing Depth?

So after our clear 1st,2nd SG SF of Buddy,Bogie,Barnes,Ariza

We have Justin James SG on guar contract (prob in Stockton most of the year)
Isaiah Pineiro SF on camp contract

If there is an injury not sure I want either of these guys as a backup wing in the rotation

If there are remaining wings in FA that might take a Vet Min ( I think that is allowed even if we are over the cap)
Not sure any of these players is a possibility, But would love to get one as our 5th Wing player

Shumpert - prob goes to a team with 2nd string wing need, but if not if he wants to stay in NBA maybe?
Sefolosha - same answer as Shump
Brewer - As a 3rd string for injury depth on a min contract I think he would be perfect
stays in shape in practice, If Injury happens I like him over James or Pineiro

We have a 15th Roster spot open

If Tyler Lydon beats out Caleb in camp, then we could always cut Caleb and sign Tyler

BenMac? early in year

Actually Shump was a 2nd SF with JJ until traded

Also had Burks

Brewer was there last half of season was 4th Wing behind Barnes?

I think he would play a reduced role as a Vet min player

I would give Wenyen Gabriel a shot to earn the 3rd SF backup spot, before I sign another vet. We need to take a shot at a younger SF with upside, IMHO.

He has the potential to play back up SF, PF and even some back up Center.

I also think the Kings keep Caleb Swanigan until at least the trade deadline. They may need his salary in a trade and they are not going to get anything in return for him. Probably send him to Stockton all year until the trade deadline and probably let him go after that.

Entity

Hall of Famer
BenMac? early in year

Actually Shump was a 2nd SF with JJ until traded

Also had Burks

Brewer was there last half of season was 4th Wing behind Barnes?

I think he would play a reduced role as a Vet min player
if shump was 2nd SF who was the first.
we had
buddy, bogi, bmac
Shump, JJ
then we had
buddy, bogi, burks
Barnes, brewer

now we have
buddy, bogi, JJ
Barnes, Ariza

I think those vets will be available as the season approaches, and so it makes sense to give a look to some young guys first.
But I agree, another body between James and the rotation would make me more comfortable.
The team is still big heavy, with 5 bigs among the team's 10 best players.

I think we don’t worry about this too much until it happens; then if it happens, we sign someone. And, like someone else already suggested, why not give Wenyen a chance if the opportunity arises? Yes, he’s better suited for power forward. Doesn’t mean he can’t help fill the gap.

We had troy Williams on a two way last year also I believe. He played 21 or so games and logged some 14 or 15 minutes.
Williams is the kind of guy we could sign mid-season, if we had a hole to fill. He’s an energy guy who will give you 16 points one night and 4 points the next. Not a high BBIQ from what I saw.

I would give Wenyen Gabriel a shot to earn the 3rd SF backup spot, before I sign another vet. We need to take a shot at a younger SF with upside, IMHO.

He has the potential to play back up SF, PF and even some back up Center.

I also think the Kings keep Caleb Swanigan until at least the trade deadline. They may need his salary in a trade and they are not going to get anything in return for him. Probably send him to Stockton all year until the trade deadline and probably let him go after that.
He's less capable of playing the 3 than Bjelica, Giles, Bagley.

He's less capable of playing the 3 than Bjelica, Giles, Bagley.
Majorly disagree. He is laterally much quicker and more athletic than bjelica, shoots the long ball better than bagley and giles. I don't see any issues with wenyen guarding 3s and in the modern nba, that's the name of the game. If he can guard 3s, he can fill in at 3. I agree it's not his natural position, but i certainly think he's a better option there than either of those other 3.

Majorly disagree. He is laterally much quicker and more athletic than bjelica, shoots the long ball better than bagley and giles. I don't see any issues with wenyen guarding 3s and in the modern nba, that's the name of the game. If he can guard 3s, he can fill in at 3. I agree it's not his natural position, but i certainly think he's a better option there than either of those other 3.
Other than the Clippers JayMcal Green and Draymond Green I can't think of another legit 4 man who can guard 3's well (Giannis but he's a freak). To me he's a athletic 4/5 with little to no SF skills (still don't know if he can shoot at the NBA level even Anthony Bennett shot 45% from 3 in the G-League).

Other than the Clippers JayMcal Green and Draymond Green I can't think of another legit 4 man who can guard 3's well (Giannis but he's a freak). To me he's a athletic 4/5 with little to no SF skills (still don't know if he can shoot at the NBA level even Anthony Bennett shot 45% from 3 in the G-League).
My point wasnt that he's the perfect option or even the right option. Only that he's better suited than those others. We're talking 3rd string sf here... Bagley is a starter. Giles a backup at the 4/5. Bejilica? Too slow to guard 3s. I think you're onto something though. We need to sign or draft a scrappy sf with the last name green.

Last edited:
My point wasnt that he's the perfect option or even the right option. Only that he's better suited than those others. We're talking 3rd string sf here... Bagley is a starter. Giles a backup at the 4/5. Bejilica? Too slow to guard 3s. I think you're onto something though. We need to sign or draft a scrappy sf with the last name green.
Just not Jeff

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If we are worrying about what happens if we have to give beaucoup minutes to a third stringer we may as well be compiling a draft wish list. Our rotation is looking nice right now and certainly we've made some signings that are going to struggle to see the floor.
Yeah, I totally agree. This much ado about nothing. We have plenty of depth this season, and it's quality depth instead of a G-League player. I guess people have to find something to worry about, but I'll worry about that situation when and if it arises.

What's with the weird takes on Wenyen lately? This is like the 3rd time I've heard people saying he's a 5. He does nothing you'd want your 5 to do at a high enough level to justify him playing at the 5. He's more than likely a stretch 4 who can play the 3 in certain situations.

He's not going to be coming off screens and pulling up quick 3 point shots or driving into the lane and drawing fouls but there's no reason why he can't be an Mbah a Moute, PJ Tucker, Aminu, Harkless etc type player. He could easily be a 3&D player but he has some obvious work to do to get there.

He needs to improve his shot. Not a ton, but it needs to be more consistent. He shot 36% in the G League and 38% in SL from deep but if you watched, his shot was inconsistent. He would make a couple in a row and then the next would be a Summer League style brick that would have you wondering if he ever attempted a 3 in his life. Then he'd come back and swish the next one in.

More importantly he has Harry Giles syndrome where he shows a ton of flashes of being a good defender but he fouls entirely way too much. 5.7 fouls per36 in the G League. That's almost fouling out of half his games if he played full time minutes. That needs to come down a lot but if it does and he still sustains good defense, he will definitely be a rotational player in this league.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Gabriel played the 3 at Kentucky, and while there, made most of his reputation on the defensive side of the ball. He has excellent lateral quickness and as for skills, he shot the three at 40% in summer league. At Kentucky, while he didn't take a lot of three's, he averaged just a tick under 40% his sophmore year. And in the G-League, he made significant improvement from last year to this year. Please, don't compare a 6'9.50" athletic player who never stops hustling, to an undersized less athletic overweight player with a terrible work ethic.

I had high hopes for Bennett when he came out of UNLV, but he's never been willing to put the work in. He was a terrible shooter from the three his four years in the NBA averaging 27.1% over that span. I didn't follow Bennett last year, so I'll take your word for his performance. All I can say is, why did it take him 6 years to figure out that he needed to bust his butt if he was going to make it in the NBA.

That isn't a problem with Gabriel, who came to Kentucky as a very raw player, and was surrounded his two years there by highly ranked big's, limiting his opportunities to get on the floor. Unlike Bennett who was handed everything on a silver platter. I always felt that if a team gave him a chance, and took the time to develop his game, they might find a diamond in the rough. At worse, I think Gabriel can be one of those hustle players that brings energy and defense off the bench. At best, maybe he's a future starter in the NBA somewhere, if not for the Kings.

He's always had a nose for the ball. Even at Kentucky, in limited minutes, he was a terrific rebounder. Look, I love hustle guys who play their heart out when on the floor, and Gabriel is one of those guys. That's something you can't teach, and it has far more value than people think. I'm not saying that he's going to be a superstar or even a star, but I do think, that at worse, he can be a solid contributor as a role player. As for Bennett, unfortunately I think his ship might have sailed.

Gabriel played the 3 at Kentucky, and while there, made most of his reputation on the defensive side of the ball. He has excellent lateral quickness and as for skills, he shot the three at 40% in summer league. At Kentucky, while he didn't take a lot of three's, he averaged just a tick under 40% his sophmore year. And in the G-League, he made significant improvement from last year to this year. Please, don't compare a 6'9.50" athletic player who never stops hustling, to an undersized less athletic overweight player with a terrible work ethic.

I had high hopes for Bennett when he came out of UNLV, but he's never been willing to put the work in. He was a terrible shooter from the three his four years in the NBA averaging 27.1% over that span. I didn't follow Bennett last year, so I'll take your word for his performance. All I can say is, why did it take him 6 years to figure out that he needed to bust his butt if he was going to make it in the NBA.

That isn't a problem with Gabriel, who came to Kentucky as a very raw player, and was surrounded his two years there by highly ranked big's, limiting his opportunities to get on the floor. Unlike Bennett who was handed everything on a silver platter. I always felt that if a team gave him a chance, and took the time to develop his game, they might find a diamond in the rough. At worse, I think Gabriel can be one of those hustle players that brings energy and defense off the bench. At best, maybe he's a future starter in the NBA somewhere, if not for the Kings.

He's always had a nose for the ball. Even at Kentucky, in limited minutes, he was a terrific rebounder. Look, I love hustle guys who play their heart out when on the floor, and Gabriel is one of those guys. That's something you can't teach, and it has far more value than people think. I'm not saying that he's going to be a superstar or even a star, but I do think, that at worse, he can be a solid contributor as a role player. As for Bennett, unfortunately I think his ship might have sailed.
Bennett is a good kid and I wish him well. I’m glad Gabriel gets another year in Stockton. He needs to continue to improve his perimeter defense. But as you point out he has the length and lateral quickness. Stockton might be fun to watch this year with Gabriel and Guy.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The Kings have Barnes and Ariza, both long and can play defense. They are there on offense when you need them. Several other guys may get some minutes. at the 3 spot.
Yeah, its really too early to have a decent discussion on rotations and such. This will be a much better discussion 15 or so games into the season after we see how well the team comes together. Sort of like cooking a soup. You throw all the ingredients and spices together, and let them get acquainted. The longer they have to simmer, the better the taste. Hopefully! Just don't add too much salt.:p