2023 NBA Free Agency Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor James Harden having to work for a guy he dosent like.

Poor Daryl Morey having an employee who hates him.

What shall we do? Somebody help these millionaires!

I cant believe the season is still more than 2 months away.

Poor James Harden having to work for a guy he dosent like.

Poor Daryl Morey having an employee who hates him.

What shall we do? Somebody help these millionaires!

I cant believe the season is still more than 2 months away.
FWIW, I hate this argument. Whether you make 100K or 100MM doesn't excuse being mistreated.

This is not a comment directly on Harden vs. Morey. I'm talking in general. In society we have this weird viewpoint with if you throw enough money at someone/thing, it's ok that they/it are treated like crap.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
A lot of people seem to be insisting that Morey's "broken promise" was a huge payday after opting out but I call BS on that. Harden was getting market value with the cut. It's not a Joe Smith situation. I think if anything it was a "pick up the option so we don't lose you for nothing" discussion, but I don't think Morey expected Harden to say Clippers or bust. Also I question if this is even true because again, nobody really seemed that eager to get Harden. He's a cancer. This isn't a Lillard situation where there's at least a (weak) argument Portland owes Lillard something. I'm not exactly sure why after the Simmons mess he'd want to go through that again with Harden. But I know you have to finesse the cap.

FWIW, I hate this argument. Whether you make 100K or 100MM doesn't excuse being mistreated.

This is not a comment directly on Harden vs. Morey. I'm talking in general. In society we have this weird viewpoint with if you throw enough money at someone/thing, it's ok that they/it are treated like crap.
Businesses engaging in contract-driven transactional agreements operate in their own moral universe.

But businesses are made of people, who operate on the basis of personal relationships. Relationships are also more narratively satisfying for the marketing arm of the business. (Contract disputes aren't as interesting as beefs.)

At the core, the NBA is a billion dollar big business, and players are subcontracting million dollar small businesses.

I dont think anyone in this situation was mistreated.

I think we have different views on what being treated like crap is.

Status
Not open for further replies.