[NBA] 2024 Free Agency mega-thread

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
We rarely played him so it was weird to me folks thinking we were just waiting to re-sign him. I'm guessing we keep the spot open for flexibility with future deals.
McNair has definitely shown a willingness to do that in the past, and without a trade the Kings are hard capped at the first apron so they can only offer the veteran's minimum anyway.

But with Jalen McDaniels not likely to contribute anything and Devin Carter not available to start the season, having an open roster spot leaves the roster thinner than I'd like. Especially at the 4.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
McNair has definitely shown a willingness to do that in the past, and without a trade the Kings are hard capped at the first apron so they can only offer the veteran's minimum anyway.

But with Jalen McDaniels not likely to contribute anything and Devin Carter not available to start the season, having an open roster spot leaves the roster thinner than I'd like. Especially at the 4.
I agree with that. I am wishfully thinking that maybe Jalen McDaniels was a target even though I know it's not the case and he'll become the Trey Lyles of that trade. But we'll probably trade him once his 60 days are up.

We rarely played him so it was weird to me folks thinking we were just waiting to re-sign him. I'm guessing we keep the spot open for flexibility with future deals.
Yeah, usually teams don't even take that long of a look with a player in his position. Time for him to find a team he can stick with or perhaps move overseas and start building a career.

True but I wouldn't say McDaniels isn't likely to contribute although expectations for opportunity can't be that high considering his likely role. He'll get a chance like any end of the rotation/just out of the rotation player and McDaniels has had some pretty solid years prior to last season. Keeping Huerter really puts this team in a more solid 9 man rotation than they've had in years past. Devin being out early on might even help Monte in a way because Huerter was in that dangerous spot of getting left behind and becoming a cap space taker and not much else if and when Keon and Devin play up to the needs of the team so now maybe he can recoup some value.

Fox, Keon, Monk, Huerter, DDR, Keegan, Lyles, Domas, Len, and McDaniels is deep enough right now. If injuries happen, the Kings 10-13 players were never going to save them anyway. Not if they didn't last year when you had more talent in those spots. This season is going to be really telling. This is the year where the Kings find out of Fox/Domas is enough. If not, this could honestly go all the way into a soft reset if not a rebuild depending on results. This is why landing a talent like Carter was so lucky. He not only fits with the roster you have now, he is a great piece to possibly rebuild with if things get catastrophic because there doesn't look to be anything he can't do to some degree so moving forward you can almost just go BPA for awhile and in theory he can fit around it.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
True but I wouldn't say McDaniels isn't likely to contribute although expectations for opportunity can't be that high considering his likely role. He'll get a chance like any end of the rotation/just out of the rotation player and McDaniels has had some pretty solid years prior to last season. Keeping Huerter really puts this team in a more solid 9 man rotation than they've had in years past. Devin being out early on might even help Monte in a way because Huerter was in that dangerous spot of getting left behind and becoming a cap space taker and not much else if and when Keon and Devin play up to the needs of the team so now maybe he can recoup some value.

Fox, Keon, Monk, Huerter, DDR, Keegan, Lyles, Domas, Len, and McDaniels is deep enough right now. If injuries happen, the Kings 10-13 players were never going to save them anyway. Not if they didn't last year when you had more talent in those spots. This season is going to be really telling. This is the year where the Kings find out of Fox/Domas is enough. If not, this could honestly go all the way into a soft reset if not a rebuild depending on results. This is why landing a talent like Carter was so lucky. He not only fits with the roster you have now, he is a great piece to possibly rebuild with if things get catastrophic because there doesn't look to be anything he can't do to some degree so moving forward you can almost just go BPA for awhile and in theory he can fit around it.
If the Kings make the playoffs and are relatively healthy, then they have a very solid rotation. If the starters are Fox, Ellis, DeRozan, Murray, and Sabonis then your 8 man postseason rotation is just that five plus Monk, Huerter and Lyles/Len depending on matchups.

Obviously, if any of the key guys miss a huge part of the season it could really tank the season entirely. But depth isn't about the 10th-13th players saving them per se, it's just being good enough to fill in and keep things running when minor injuries stack up. If DeRozan misses a few games then you start Huerter. If Murray is out for some games you start Lyles. The starting lineup won't be quite as good, but it can still compete. But now you have to turn to a MUCH weaker bench. That's where you need quality depth. Just to be able to win a few games in the middle of a long season.

Hopefully McDaniels can return to form. Because last year was much more representative than the relatively healthy season the Kings had two seasons ago in terms of injuries. The Kings will NEED some of the bench guys to step up to have a solid season.

If the Kings make the playoffs and are relatively healthy, then they have a very solid rotation. If the starters are Fox, Ellis, DeRozan, Murray, and Sabonis then your 8 man postseason rotation is just that five plus Monk, Huerter and Lyles/Len depending on matchups.

Obviously, if any of the key guys miss a huge part of the season it could really tank the season entirely. But depth isn't about the 10th-13th players saving them per se, it's just being good enough to fill in and keep things running when minor injuries stack up. If DeRozan misses a few games then you start Huerter. If Murray is out for some games you start Lyles. The starting lineup won't be quite as good, but it can still compete. But now you have to turn to a MUCH weaker bench. That's where you need quality depth. Just to be able to win a few games in the middle of a long season.

Hopefully McDaniels can return to form. Because last year was much more representative than the relatively healthy season the Kings had two seasons ago in terms of injuries. The Kings will NEED some of the bench guys to step up to have a solid season.
Yeah, that's true, but that kind of depth IMO is best used on younger or cheaper pieces since most of the time those players are ones who will mostly be expected to learn the system as a role player so if they step in, they at least know their role and don't mess up chemistry. Maybe even 2 way players are the best ones for that job now I mean look at Keon. In years past we've seen the Kings prioritize luxury at the end of their bench. With lottery talent, FA talent with expectations, and players making nearly MLE money or even more at the time. Hopefully Monte has now learned why you don't do that because in the new NBA doing that and getting back out of those deals ASAP means a fairly heavy price apparently.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
How is that deal not done? I must be missing something with Podz.
The Warriors might actually not have enough draft capital to just make it a Podz+Picks+matching salary for Lauri trade. Their 2030 pick already being gone means that they effectively can't move any of their picks from 2029 onwards (they can give up swaps in 2029 and 2031 though), which leaves the maximum number of FRPs they can straight up move to the Jazz at 2 (2025/2027 or 2026/2028). If I were a reasonable GM, I'd probably take those picks and swaps on as many remaining years as I can but Ainge is not a reasonable GM/The Jazz should rightfully keep trying to hold out until the Warriors are desperate enough to make it a full Podz/Kuminga/picks package.

Notice it says "included". That means on top of all the other stuff they'd be getting. Likely Kuminga and picks. If Markkanen is worth that kind of package he better be in the MVP discussions or at least All NBA level near the deadline. Right now a team would be stupid to give all that up.

As for the Kings helping the Warriors in that trade thing they have at the link, sign me up. Kuminga for Huerter and a 1st? The Kings having two picks swaps in back to back years hurts but, meh.

the Warriors really are entering their Zombie Kobe Lakers phase.
They did add some good fit pieces and were on a real playoff push towards the end last year though. It will likely either be them or Sac making the play in to playoff push next season. Now to see if they can get a heck of a rebuild package for Curry if need be. Last heard he was blabbing about what it sounded like he might be interested in moving to a contender. That could be a great thing for the Warriors on a rebuild since he'd probably get a legit haul. The Warriors are in the same wait and see boat as the Kings. See if you come out of the gates hot, see if your young talent is for real, see what you need, then decide. Obviously the Warriors are way more under the gun though.