[NBA] 2024 Free Agency mega-thread

kind of bummed to see Pistons claiming Paul Reed. I had convinced myself he’d be a good pickup.
Yeah, I wanted to get Reed too.

Now it's time for Drew Timme to grab that 3rd center spot if he performs well in the summer league and training camp. I still think he could stick as a 3rd center on our roster. A poor man's Sabonis.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Jalen Brunson just took a 113 million dollar discount on an extension. I love a player sacrificing for the good of the team, and that’s a wild sacrifice you just don’t see. I’ll be cheering the Knicks to make some noise as long as it isn’t against Sacramento.

there comes a point in life where for some individuals, the dollar amount becomes irrelevant once you have all your necessary needs and have taken care of current family and potential family to come

Jalen Brunson just took a 113 million dollar discount on an extension. I love a player sacrificing for the good of the team, and that’s a wild sacrifice you just don’t see. I’ll be cheering the Knicks to make some noise as long as it isn’t against Sacramento.

Dudes choosing happiness over money, we love to see it. Gets to play with all his best buds, in NYK and gives his team the best opportunity to continue to build a contender.

Also, there's just tremendous value in "securing" 150 million now. He tears an ACL next season, he's still set for multiple generations. Also, he technically didn't take a 113 mil discount. He signed for his current max, but opted out of waiting for next off-season and FA to totally balloon his deal.

Don't blame Foxy one bit for waiting on the extension and shoot for the All-NBA tag to get the mega-deal. But I do see the value for Brunson taking it now too.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
unfortunately you can count on your right hand the player who are sacrificing some money to help the team get better …
Monk
Brunson
And I still here …
I can see it happening more often with these players starting to get extensions in the 200 million plus range, 300 million and counting. There is only so much you can do with that money until you reach a point where you just start becoming philanthropist and giving back to a community

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

The Knicks were wildly entertaining last season. I would have liked to see them keep Hartenstein (and keep him out of the West - OKC is going to benefit a ton from what he does) but adding Bridges while keeping OG and re-signing Brunson has to put them as the top contender to the Celtics in the East.

And with Philly pushing all their chips in on George along with their other signings means the East will be tougher overall next season. The Magic should continue to improve as well.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Memphis just dumped Ziarie, I thought he still had potential to at least develop into a 3 & D forward for them. Perhaps he may will be heading down the path Cam Reddish has

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member