2021 Free Agency Mega Thread

Do the Kings make a surprise Free Agency splash?

• Total voters
Fox Mitchell
Hali Davis
Barnes MLE
Tobias Metu
Holmes Queta

that would probably be the most complete team we have had in the last 15+ years. Not saying much but still
Harris' contract is a big fat :oops:, but I would still be fairly satisfied if that was the bulk of the roster heading into next season. The Kings obviously aren't getting the world for Buddy Hield. If they had been able to package him with the 9th before the draft, then they might have been able to squeeze more out of his trade value. As it is, something like a Hield+Bagley for Harris swap makes a lot of sense for both teams and represents reasonable value, all things considered.

I'd like to see the Kings additionally pursue Nerlens Noel to bring veteran rim protection off the bench. Who knows if Metu or Queta are truly ready to contribute, especially since that starting lineup suggests a team competing for a playoff seed. And they need to fill out their rotation on the wing a bit more. None of these are gravity-defying moves, but if you combine all these potential roster changes together, the team starts to look like one that can win. A title? Certainly not. One step at a time, and all that.

Last edited:
If we send Bagley, who still has an admittedly very narrow window of being the best player in the deal long term, I would really like to see us at least get a pick back if we don't send a third player and get a contributor back.

I'd prefer we send them an expiring MLE level guy in the deal.

Entity

Hall of Famer
If we send Bagley, who still has an admittedly very narrow window of being the best player in the deal long term, I would really like to see us at least get a pick back if we don't send a third player and get a contributor back.

I'd prefer we send them an expiring MLE level guy in the deal.
Well if we sign Holmes we could swing Tristan there

I’d just really need the Kings to conduct a full medical check before hand. Considering our track record, his legs would probably fall off the second he got up from signing his contract.
So true! And Vlade doesn't get nearly enough credit for trading DMC _before_ his legs fell off.

they will find out soon enough that nobody is beating the doors down for simmons.
No disagreement I think that package would be good for either one of them plus one or two of their depth players, but can't see how you ask for both. I was more thinking future picks or a Thybulle/Maxsey level. The more I think about it though the more I would like to keep Barnes even if we were adding Harris. If it was Bagley and Buddy for Harris plus a future first, lottery protected I think I would do it.

Dallas now in the awkward position of being the max cap space team that no one apparently wants to go to
I still would love to have Luka over anyone else in the 2018 draft but what the hell is going on here that can be explained by anything other than maybe other stars aren't all that interested in being second banana to the guy? Their FO and coaching situation is in a bit of disarray but that is not unrelated.

Obviously this would not be a problem in a FA desert like Sacramento but Dallas is supposed to have that magical zero tax advantage.

Fox is good friends with Vanderbilt.
Love everything about it. Can defend at the 4/5, has a real talent for rebounding, plays with a high motor/energy, legitmately good weak-side rim protector, has the athleticism to switch out onto the perimeter, fits the age curve. Offensively, he's basically a finisher in the dunker spot, but does have some interesting passing/transition ball-handling talent. Mitchell, Vanderbilt and Holmes is one hell of a way to change your culture on defense and drastically change our weak-minded mentality on that end.

The big wart is he absolutely no sense of a shot right now. But honestly, who cares? He's 22 and he's got a chance to be a unicorn big defender. For a team that's coming off the worst defensive season in NBA history he's a guy you make the investment in on defense and work around on offense.

Dallas now in the awkward position of being the max cap space team that no one apparently wants to go to
Dallas is going to suffer from the same problem Houston suffered during the height of James Harden's powers. There aren't a lot of high usage stars that want to play with another star whose usage rate tops the entire NBA. If it's a chance to win a title with Lebron, some will take it, because Lebron has managed to win a few titles. He's got the kind of clout that matters in the NBA. A guy like Harden hasn't been so fortunate. He hasn't sniffed the Finals yet. And he had to force his way into a "Big Three" because nobody wanted to play with him long-term in Houston.

Likewise, Luka hasn't gotten out of the first round with the Mavericks, and his usage rate squeezes out the possibility of other ball handlers thriving alongside him. What assurances do Lowry or Derozan have of either individual or team success in Dallas? None of this is to knock Luka. He is still so young. He is phenomenal. He is unique. But strangely enough, he's almost too unique. He got too good too fast for the pace of team-building in the NBA. Now Dallas has to scramble to construct a winner around him with very few tools to do so, and no free agents are beating down their door to play with the Slovenian wunderkind.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Love everything about it. Can defend at the 4/5, has a real talent for rebounding, plays with a high motor/energy, legitmately good weak-side rim protector, has the athleticism to switch out onto the perimeter, fits the age curve. Offensively, he's basically a finisher in the dunker spot, but does have some interesting passing/transition ball-handling talent. Mitchell, Vanderbilt and Holmes is one hell of a way to change your culture on defense and drastically change our weak-minded mentality on that end.

The big wart is he absolutely no sense of a shot right now. But honestly, who cares? He's 22 and he's got a chance to be a unicorn big defender. For a team that's coming off the worst defensive season in NBA history he's a guy you make the investment in on defense and work around on offense.
But the implication was that Vanderbilt could be looking at getting a large chunk (if not all) of somebody's MLE. Would a contract that high be worth it, and would it be bidding against ourselves?

But the implication was that Vanderbilt could be looking at getting a large chunk (if not all) of somebody's MLE. Would a contract that high be worth it, and would it be bidding against ourselves?
I'd pay it. His defensive profile paired with his energy/rebound ability doesn't come around very often in Free Agency at age 22. And while the offense is limited right now, he still finished the year with a 61% TS.