2021 Free Agency Mega Thread

Do the Kings make a surprise Free Agency splash?

• Total voters

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't like his contract either but for Buddy and filler I can be persuaded. And I mean legit filler, like TT and other expirings. S&T Holmes, whatever. If we throw in Bags I want Thybulle back as well.

Buddy and Barnes ($43)
T. Harris and Thybulle (39)

Sixers save on the length of contract, give up defense for shooting (cuz they need it).
Kings get replacement for Barnes and a great perimeter defender.

Fox - Mitchell
Ty - T. Davis? - Ramsey
Thybulle - Woodard - JJ
T. Harris - Bagley - *Metu and/or *Jones
Holmes? - Thompson - Queta

*=unguaranteed
?=optional

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Buddy and Barnes ($43)
T. Harris and Thybulle (39)

Sixers save on the length of contract, give up defense for shooting (cuz they need it).
Kings get replacement for Barnes and a great perimeter defender.
I would also do that.

I don't like his contract either but for Buddy and filler I can be persuaded. And I mean legit filler, like TT and other expirings. S&T Holmes, whatever. If we throw in Bags I want Thybulle back as well.
Are we allowed to package TT in a trade, right after we trade for him? I think there might be a rule that prohibits that?

Are we allowed to package TT in a trade, right after we trade for him? I think their might be a rule that prohibits that?
There was a tweet earlier that the deal wasn't finalized yet and that it might be adjusted/expanded. It was also indicated that it was expected to be completed today.

I have been refreshing to see the final version of the trade.

Looking at how Monte is operating, I could see a Buddy and Bagley offer for Harris and Thybulle. Monte wants defense and High BBIQ, so this trade would be right up his alley.

The Kings get a 3/4 to pair with Barnes in Harris and another defensive stud in Thybulle. Philly gets elite shooting, saves money and gets a young big with upside.

Re-sign Holmes tomorrow and boom, roster is balanced and a solid playoff contending team.

Looking at how Monte is operating, I could see a Buddy and Bagley offer for Harris and Thybulle. Monte wants defense and High BBIQ, so this trade would be right up his alley.

The Kings get a 3/4 to pair with Barnes in Harris and another defensive stud in Thybulle. Philly gets elite shooting, saves money and gets a young big with upside.

Re-sign Holmes tomorrow and boom, roster is balanced and a solid playoff contending team.
As much as I’d love that, I don’t think you are getting Thuybulle and Harris for Buddy/Bagley. I think it is far more likely it would be Harris for buddy and Bagley, or Harris and Thuybulle for buddy and Barnes. They love Thuybulle. We have to give something more than BAgley to get him.

As much as I’d love that, I don’t think you are getting Thuybulle and Harris for Buddy/Bagley. I think it is far more likely it would be Harris for buddy and Bagley, or Harris and Thuybulle for buddy and Barnes. They love Thuybulle. We have to give something more than BAgley to get him.
Buddy-Bags for Harris, pls. I have no interest in giving up HB to get Thuybulle.

Resign Holmes and yer main rotation is:

1- Fox/Mitchell
2- Ty/Davis
3/4- HB/Harris/Woodard (or vet min)
5 - Holmes/Thompson/Queta

Pretty nice.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I thought rules only apply when you are over the cap and using various trade provisions to make the deal work. @Capt. Factorial help
The typical rule is that if you acquire a player in trade, you cannot trade that player in a trade that aggregates that player's salary for two months. However, you can trade the player by themselves at any time. Some multi-player trades are actually technically worked out as multiple smaller trades for various purposes (some of these include sneakily creating traded player exceptions), but they are typically never reported that way in the media. So you can see a player get traded before the two-month deadline in a trade where other players go out with him, and you might think it broke the rule but that usually just means the trade was really multiple trades, and his salary wasn't technically aggregated.

BUT

It appears that between getting rid of CoJo and Bjelica, we actually slid down far enough below the salary cap to absorb TT's contract into cap space (if the final form of the trade is simply Delon/TT for us). Players whose salaries were absorbed into cap space (rather than required an exception to acquire) do not have that restriction. If I read the CBA correctly, and I don't have salary cap numbers wrong, we would be able to flip TT in a salary-aggregated trade immediately.

Buddy-Bags for Harris, pls. I have no interest in giving up HB to get Thuybulle.

Resign Holmes and yer main rotation is:

1- Fox/Mitchell
2- Ty/Davis
3/4- HB/Harris/Woodard (or vet min)
5 - Holmes/Thompson/Queta

Pretty nice.
I think that's the closest we can realistically get to a playoff contending team but I don't pay enough attention to the salary situation to know what that would do to the roster and what effects it could potentially have on keeping Hali in the future.

I think that's the closest we can realistically get to a playoff contending team but I don't pay enough attention to the salary situation to know what that would do to the roster and what effects it could potentially have on keeping Hali in the future.
None. Harris has 3 years left, Hali 3 years from RFA

Keith Smith @KeithSmithNBA
No idea what has things held up, but it looks like the Boston-Atlanta-Sacramento trade will not process today, and will not process as part of the 2020-21 league year. For the Celtics, this means Kris Dunn will not go into the Enes Kanter TPE. That TPE will expire unused.

THIRD botched traded. Nice look!

Keith Smith
@KeithSmithNBA

How this will change the terms of the deal is unknown. Boston can fit the 2021-22 salaries of both Kris Dunn and Bruno Fernando into the Kemba Walker TPE. That would create a $9.7M TPE for Tristan Thompson.All three teams have engaged on expanding the deal too. Now, it's TBD