2018 Olympics

It seems that way to me too but I dumped cable recently. Still I have NBC, CNBC, NBC Sports, Olympic Channel and the others that normally show Olympics and it just seems awful to find what's on. Maybe it's better to just go online to find stuff. One thing that is disappointing about that is the games are being shot in 8k but you can't get 4k broadcasts over the internets. I'd love to watch hockey in 4k/HDR.

Watched the USA/Russia game today. That was... rough. I wish Jordan Greenway was back playing for BU, we needed him this week. I hope Bettman reconsiders in 2022.

It seems that way to me too but I dumped cable recently. Still I have NBC, CNBC, NBC Sports, Olympic Channel and the others that normally show Olympics and it just seems awful to find what's on. Maybe it's better to just go online to find stuff. One thing that is disappointing about that is the games are being shot in 8k but you can't get 4k broadcasts over the internets. I'd love to watch hockey in 4k/HDR.

Watched the USA/Russia game today. That was... rough. I wish Jordan Greenway was back playing for BU, we needed him this week. I hope Bettman reconsiders in 2022.
The women's hockey matches (USA) have all been far more enjoyable than the men's, IMHO. Watching the dudes play hockey probably feels somewhat close to the feeling a dude (or dudette) gets when walking into an NBA arena to watch an NBA game for the very first time in their life.

I, too, hope Bettman reconsiders in 2022, so we can actually watch NHL-level talent on the ice. This ish is brutal. Just brutal.

I don't know if it's just me, but it sure seems like this year's coverage of the Olympics has been sub-par.
Significantly sub-par, IMHO. I always look forward to watching Olympic coverage. I even mentioned, in an earlier comment, how my DVR probably works overtime during the Olympics (Summer and Winter). This year, while my DVR has been working overtime, my viewing experience has probably called it early. I don't think, outside of the USWNT hockey matches, I've watched an entire night's coverage from start to finish since the opening ceremonies. Oh, and by the way, the opening ceremonies were also, IMHO, sub-par in terms of coverage.

I hope this is not a preview of what's to come in 2 years when we the Summer games are on. If that's the case then, I might have to boycott Olympic coverage for the rest of my life. And, trust me, I do not want to do that; I may not be able to survive... ;)

These Olympics has been a disappointment for me thus far too, maybe it has to do with the fact that Latvian athletes have failed to get any medals so far... funny thing today bobsleigh event starts, maybe there we will get some medal? I hope... :rolleyes:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've just about given up. I've set my DVR to record events based on the guide and the NBC online schedule, only to have them record something totally different - or the same events multiple times. The events also don't end on time, but my DVR stops right when the listing says it should.

Very aggravating, to say the least.

I've just about given up. I've set my DVR to record events based on the guide and the NBC online schedule, only to have them record something totally different - or the same events multiple times. The events also don't end on time, but my DVR stops right when the listing says it should.

Here in Latvia, the same thing is happening, the only way to see full events is when I'm watching LIVE, but I know I will miss some events and if I DVR it, some events don't end in time either so I have to guess the end results or look up online at the end. :confused:

Here in Latvia, the same thing is happening, the only way to see full events is when I'm watching LIVE, but I know I will miss some events and if I DVR it, some events don't end in time either so I have to guess the end results or look up online at the end. :confused:
I haven't experienced my recordings not matching what is supposed to be showing at that time (both according to the online schedule, as well as the guide/program information), so I can't speak to that, not yet at least. I can, however, say that, if your DVR allows it, you should ALWAYS extend your recording time. Actually, I now start all of my recordings a few minutes prior to the scheduled start (anywhere from 5 minutes to 15 minutes), and I ALWAYS extend the recording to the maximum time allowed (which is, I believe, set to 90 minutes by default). I've never had issues doing that.

Now, I will say this much......

For sporting events, such as the Super Bowl, NBA Finals-clinching games, World Series-clinching games, Stanley Cup-clinching games, and other major sporting events, I also record shows that come after the sporting event (Usually after the 90-minute extension runs out). For example, lets say the NBA Finals are scheduled to run from 5 - 7:30, I always extend the timer an additional 90 minutes (so it would actually run from 5 - 9). AND, I will also record whatever is scheduled to start at 9 that night, and I will even extend the timer on that show. Just to be safe.

(I never understand why the TV guide/networks only allocate 2.5 hours for a professional basketball game, or 3 hours for a professional football game, or even 3 for a professional baseball game for that matter. Cuz, 99.9% of the time, the games always run over that time period. I can't remember the last time I recorded a basketball game that finished under 2.5 hours, or a football game that finished under 3 hours. I think, in terms of the TV guide/time allocated for the game to be televised, TV networks should allocate 4 hours for pretty much all of their sporting events. Because not a lot of people are like me, and they don't extend their timers, or some don't have the hardware/software capabilities to perform that task)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm well aware of the option to extend time for sporting events, but I contend I shouldn't have to do so for recorded events broadcast by a major network. I record a lot of shows - on a DVR that only allows me to record 2 programs at a time. If I try extending the time, I run the risk of not recording something else.

Bottom line? NBC sucks. :p

I'm well aware of the option to extend time for sporting events, but I contend I shouldn't have to do so for recorded events broadcast by a major network. I record a lot of shows - on a DVR that only allows me to record 2 programs at a time. If I try extending the time, I run the risk of not recording something else.

Bottom line? NBC sucks. :p
I figured you had an older DVR that only allows you to record 2 programs at a time.

I wouldn't necessarily be so quick to jump on the "NBC sucks" bandwagon. Not yet, at least. Like I said earlier, I haven't experienced an issue where the coverage is different than what was being advertised.

One (possible) explanation for this, although not very likely to be the reason, and certainly not an explanation I would believe if it ever came from Dish (or any satellite/cable provider for that matter), is that maybe, just maybe, the TV guides are different based on the receiver you're using????? Like, maybe since you have an older DVR, you are running an older version of a software that doesn't update their guide information as often as, say, a newer DVR, such as the one we have out here. Just a thought. But, like I said, I would find that explanation very difficult to believe if it ever came from a Dish representative (or any satellite/cable provider for that matter).

With all of the above being said, I am excited for the day when you don't have to worry about only being able to record 2 shows at a time. When you can extend the time without having to worry about running the risk of recording something else. When your DVR has more than 2 receivers, and you can, theoretically, record 4 shows at the same time, while STILL being able to watch live TV on a different channel. Until that day, all I can say is......I feel your pain, @VF21 ...

NBC sucks but not because of the DVR issues :)

I still contend they should offer sports only feeds from each of the venues and then offer their prime time style programming on the flagship network. If you've been to not-USA during the Olympics you will never go back. That includes 2016 when I was on a cruise ship and had access to some random international feed, but especially compared to 2010 when I spent the second week of the games in Vancouver.

Woke up this morning to find out that our gals struck gold on the ice last night!!!!
Hey, Canada...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/xULW8otBFVN2adtgJO" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

NOTE TO MODS: The site, for whatever reason, did not allow me to post the GIF any other way. I couldn't attach a file, insert a link, or just plain ol' drag and drop the GIF into the text area. I kept on getting an error message. The above was the only way I was able to get it to work. And, yes, the tags around the GIF annoy the crap out of me as well...;)

That was a great gold medal game between USA & Canada in Women's Hockey.
USA won in a shootout.
That was an UNBELIEVABLE game!!!! So many great chances/amazing saves. It could have easily been a route for the US, and that route would have started early, like, very early on in the game. Super stoked that the girls pulled it off and even more super proud of them for pulling it off. Although I knew the result when I was watching the game, I still felt, at times, that I was on the edge of my seat because of the close calls throughout the game. I almost felt as if I were actually at the game itself, in the arena, sitting in the front row, near the US bench. I still have the game saved on the DVR, in my folder. And I might end up keeping it for a very long time and will watch it over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Last edited: